Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th May 2015, 13:57   #1
BHPian

High Court & Minister: Show parking space to own a car

Quote:
The Himachal Pradesh High Court today directed the government that henceforth, no new vehicle that was intended to be plied within the Shimla municipal corporation limits would be registered till the intending purchaser produced a certificate that he owned parking space. The certificate would have to be acquired from the Shimla Collector. The move is aimed at ridding the Queen of Hills of traffic congestion and saving it from turning into a concrete jungle.
http://www.tribuneindia.com/news/nat...-hc/84266.html
darklord is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th May 2015, 14:38   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: High Court: Show parking space to own a car in Shimla

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklord View Post
Finally, the judiciary is stepping in where the government won't act, nationwide.

This is a much needed effort except what stops someone from registering it anywhere else in Himachal and bringing it in?
phamilyman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2015, 15:07   #3
Senior - BHPian

I sometimes feel that in Bangalore, the situation in the residential areas is far worse than the messy traffic on the main roads. Folks use the streets and footpaths for permanent parking, barely leaving a single lane for cars, or for pedestrians to walk through. I hope something on similar lines is done in Bangalore as well. Why allow people to use public property for parking ?

The situation in other cities like Kolkata is better though. If you leave your car outside overnight, most likely the tyres will be stolen , or the car windows will be smashed, or the car itself will be stolen . In my neighborhood, I've seen most folks keep their cars inside a closed garage.
sdp1975 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th May 2015, 15:15   #4
BHPian

I cant say how just this order is for Shimla, but generally such rules should come on the back of several other which ensure residents have parking spaces to begin with. For example, housing rules should enforce minimum 1 space per flat. Then there has to be supporting infra like public buses and parking on metro stations to ensure people have a way to commute.

A beginning has been made in modern flats, but i dont think it will be wise to put such a rule across India.
Old 24th May 2015, 16:39   #5
MSC
BHPian

There is a loophole in the above order. Only those vehicles need a parking spot certificate who are to registered by Shimla Urban Motor Registration Authority. People will start registration of their vehicles at nearby suburban areas. There is no way to stop vehicles registered else where.
MSC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2015, 19:42   #6
BHPian

A welcome move but as MSC suggests people have already found a way to bypass it. The traffic situation in shimla has become really bad and I would say that this is a step in the right direction.
bullrun87 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2015, 15:38   #7
Senior - BHPian

Re: High Court: Show parking space to own a car in Shimla

Just curious, how many vehicles can be purchased with a parking spot certificate? In other words, how do they ensure that someone who has may be 2-3 parking spots do not buy more number of cars?

Again, would this be applicable for used car purchases too?
Old 25th May 2015, 23:57   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
Just curious, how many vehicles can be purchased with a parking spot certificate? In other words, how do they ensure that someone who has may be 2-3 parking spots do not buy more number of cars?

Again, would this be applicable for used car purchases too?
They want to dissuade people from owning multiple cars by raising the registration costs of every subsequent vehicle purchased after the first.
'' The Urban Development Department is proposing to hike the registration fee and other charges on those who wish to own more than one vehicle by amending the law with narrow roads here proving to be too inadequate to take the strain of over one lakh local vehicles.
With the traffic congestion and choked roads becoming a bane for locals and an impediment for tourism promotion, the government has been forced into devising means and ways to restrict the growing number of vehicles. ''

http://www.tribuneindia.com/news/him...ore/84775.html

Last edited by bullrun87 : 26th May 2015 at 00:07.
Old 26th May 2015, 07:23   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullrun87 View Post
They want to dissuade people from owning multiple cars by raising the registration costs of every subsequent vehicle purchased after the first.
That is practically not easy to implement. In most cases, second vehicle would be registered in the name of wife or parents. Again, a higher registration charge would only make a potential buyer go one segment lower and not discard the purchase. I have serious doubts if they'll achieve anything in their wishlist.
Old 22nd December 2016, 17:24   #10
BHPian

In a bid to reduce urban congestion, Government of India is mulling new regulation which allow registration of new vehicles only after production of parking space availability certificate from authorities. This will cover the whole of India, not just Shimla. I did not find any other relevant thread, so posting here.

If true, then it will affect a lot of urban car owners/future buyers.

http://auto.economictimes.indiatimes...proof/56120003

Quote:
"In future, it would be mandated (that) no permission would be given to any construction without a toilet...no car or vehicle should be registered without adequate parking space availability certificate," Naidu, the Union Urban Development Minister, said.
Old 22nd December 2016, 22:37   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerhunter View Post
In a bid to reduce urban congestion, Government of India is mulling new regulation which allow registration of new vehicles only after production of parking space availability certificate from authorities. This will cover the whole of India, not just Shimla. I did not find any other relevant thread, so posting here.

If true, then it will affect a lot of urban car owners/future buyers.

http://auto.economictimes.indiatimes...proof/56120003
Good move to reduce the frequent fist fights for parking in colonies and roads.

But who gives the certificate?
The Municipal Corp?
Or the Land Registrar?

Two of the most corrupt organizations.
alpha1 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2016, 23:38   #12
Senior - BHPian

"Certificate by authorities" !
When will the govt realise that all these autonomous "authorities" are the prime areas where workflows are manipulated to benefit the govt in power ?

Can't believe the govt is naïve to not know this, or are such policies designed to create such power centres that generate money?

Unless there's certainty on a water tight work process, IMO This is just another step to milk the middle class car owner.

P.S. : Where will cabbies certify their parking spot ?

Last edited by GrammarNazi : 22nd December 2016 at 23:41.
GrammarNazi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2016, 23:55   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post
"Certificate by authorities" !
P.S. : Where will cabbies certify their parking spot ?
Still this is a step in the right direction. I agree that there will be corruption, but things are slowly improving. At the same time, there are too many car owners who hog the streets to park their cars. In some cities it has become like divine right for them to park their cars at particular spots.

People have found it economically convenient to skip providing space for parking. They prioritise modern amenities in their houses rather than investing in space for parking, and then hog the public space. This has to stop.
deerhunter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2016, 06:21   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

A move that could impact the way we look at public space.

http://scroll.in/latest/824881/car-b...venkaiah-naidu

Ministry purposes that only buyers who can prove that they have parking space shall be allowed to buy new vehicles.

On face it seems a very good idea to me.

First reaction was "Oh no!! Another scam scheme."

But then thinking not just as lover of all things vehicular but as a citizen I see lot of merit in the scheme.

Yes it will not solve problem of past.

Yes it will have loop holes that will be exploited.

Yes.......

Let me bring few examples that more than justify this scheme.

Personal parking spaces. On pretext of high real estate prices the individual house owners do not build stilts or leave parking space inside the house. This results in colony bye-lanes getting clogged and almost daily minor scuffles ensue on parking spaces. While buying my house this was one essential - there has to stilt parking for at least two vehicles per floor. On the other hand a house just down the lane has frontage of six vehicles parked head to tail but has six floors with each floor having average of two plus vehicles. And similar story on the house on the other side of the bye-lane. So what happens? Daily misery of parking and invariably some one or the other parks in front of my building . At times even blocking our door. Why they do it? Since we have the "space".

School nearby has twenty odd bus that are parked on the main road - no space inside the school - so using public road i matter of their right?

There is a taxi operator living in the next colony. RWA is always inundated with complaints of his taxi's parked on the road.

.....I am sure all of us can add examples of such misuse of public road space.

So is this a solution in right direction?

Last edited by Aditya : 23rd December 2016 at 08:29. Reason: Back to back posts merged
sudev is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2016, 07:03   #15
Senior - BHPian

Re: Do you have parking space?

Move is good, but I'm left with mixed feelings; personally we've space to even park 50 cars close to each other. But the entry is restricted with 2 coconut & 1 mango tree which is living for over 33+ years. This restricts us to park just 1 car of any size.

I'm sure there's going to be even more complicated cases than ours & hopefully, hopefully, govt finds way to sell cars.

PS - Hopefully this doesn't aggravate the car lobbyists
PPS - Hopefully neighbors who've large land space find ways to make quick bucks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks