Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th June 2007, 16:11   #16
Senior - BHPian

This is an old thread that you have revived, post your experience in a new and fresh thread here
Old 7th June 2007, 16:24   #17
Senior - BHPian

@dadu - the two threads are different! please look carefully:
1. petrol in diesel car
2. diesel in petrol car
Old 12th June 2007, 01:01   #18
BHPian

Don't most cars come with a notification on fuel visible when you open up the fuel cap cover?

If not, maybe it would be a good idea to add one clearly stating "Diesel" in English and the state language.
Old 18th June 2007, 17:58   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliper View Post
Don't most cars come with a notification on fuel visible when you open up the fuel cap cover?

If not, maybe it would be a good idea to add one clearly stating "Diesel" in English and the state language.
It is there on the fuel cap but its in english but it was noticed. I think most attendants do not understand english, so I am planning to have same written in Hindi, "Are bhai ye gadi petrol nahin diesel ki hai"
Old 20th June 2007, 19:12   #20
Senior - BHPian

Logan has no stickers about either petrol or Diesel, they worked really hard on cost cutting

Its very difficult to make out which variant of logan it is. So Logan owner need to be extra carefull when he visits Petrol Bunk.

Ravi.

Last edited by ravibhat : 20th June 2007 at 19:15.
Old 20th June 2007, 20:28   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Logan has no stickers about either petrol or Diesel, they worked really hard on cost cutting
What cost-cutting is this,Mahindra can't afford to print and paste a sticker.Not that the sticker is going to play such an important part but still this is ridiculous.
Old 20th June 2007, 20:49   #22
Senior - BHPian

Shell is helping out with Stickers marked as Diesel and this sticker is stuck on the fuel tank lid. Even though it might spoil the smooth even looks I found it very useful.Try it out.
Old 22nd January 2011, 00:05   #23
BHPian

Need urgent advice - petrol in diesel car.

Hey guys,
I need some urgent advice.tonight around 11.00 I was enroute to my house,in gurgaon and stopped by for some diesel at hp pump near claridges hotel.the attendent had mistakenly filled petrol instead diesel.the pump itself has a attached hyundai workshop and offered me to drain my tank.being late the staff had already left so I had to leave the car there.i will be going back at 8in morning to get the tank drained.
being a complete noob about technicals I request advice by fellow bhpians.
I own a skoda fabia diesel and car wad not started after that.
Requesting immediate advice whether to tow the car to authorized skoda workshop or it is fine to get it done there..they even offered a taxi drop till home as it was quite late..

Thnx
Old 22nd January 2011, 03:11   #24
BHPian

re: Accidentally filling Petrol in a Diesel car?

is your car under warranty? If it is then you better take it to Skoda ***..

They are infamous for voiding warranties for small alterations like aftermkt horns, lamps etc, getting your car done by local mechanics might void your warranty.

IMO, it would be better to call their cust care/ your dealership before getting anything done.
Old 22nd January 2011, 07:50   #25
Team-BHP Support

Re: Need urgent advice - petrol in diesel car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayank123 View Post
Hey guys,
I need some urgent advice.tonight around 11.00 I was enroute to my house,in gurgaon and stopped by for some diesel at hp pump near claridges hotel.the attendent had mistakenly filled petrol instead diesel.the pump itself has a attached hyundai workshop and offered me to drain my tank.being late the staff had already left so I had to leave the car there.i will be going back at 8in morning to get the tank drained.
being a complete noob about technicals I request advice by fellow bhpians.
I own a skoda fabia diesel and car wad not started after that.
Requesting immediate advice whether to tow the car to authorized skoda workshop or it is fine to get it done there..they even offered a taxi drop till home as it was quite late..

Thnx

Dont do anything, not even switch on the ignition. Put the car on a trailer and send it to the dealer. The diesel parts have very little tolerance and you can damage the injector pump onwards
Old 22nd January 2011, 20:45   #26
Senior - BHPian

Well one of our bhpians also faced the same problem with his Safari some time back, and just before we were heading out on a very long BHP drive. Thankfully he never cranked it and got it towed to the service station

Incase of wrong filling, never crank the engine. Push the car to a side and call for the service centre. Draining is basically, removing the wrong fuel from the tank. But ideally, it would be good to give it a cleaning as well, as some amount of residual fuel will be prevalent and can cause minor hiccups while driving
Old 6th February 2011, 02:19   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedreamcatcher View Post
Well one of our bhpians also faced the same problem with his Safari some time back, and just before we were heading out on a very long BHP drive. Thankfully he never cranked it and got it towed to the service station

Incase of wrong filling, never crank the engine. Push the car to a side and call for the service centre. Draining is basically, removing the wrong fuel from the tank. But ideally, it would be good to give it a cleaning as well, as some amount of residual fuel will be prevalent and can cause minor hiccups while driving
Particularly in case of Safari 2.2L DICOR. The 2.2L DICOR engine has a Delphi injection system and if petrol goes through it, all the injectors will blow up and mind it, the replacement is not that easy on pocket.
Old 6th February 2011, 16:41   #28
Senior - BHPian

Related info - interesting read.
Old 7th February 2011, 06:03   #29
BHPian

Finally some good news for the folks anxious about petrol-in-diesel tank woes. A company in the UK has invented a device that will help reduce accidental petrol fuelling in diesel tanks. The device will detect and restrict the penetration of a petrol nozzle (which is apparently lower in diameter to a diesel nozzle in UK gas stations). the product is already being tested by some fleet companies in the UK, and will gradually hit international markets, if successful. Thats about all the info i have, sorry guys, I was watching this genius invention on a TV show (Dragons Den).

Last edited by Sli_ce : 7th February 2011 at 06:08.
Old 23rd April 2012, 10:38   #30
Senior - BHPian

Filled Petrol in a Diesel engine by mistake!

I searched for a similar thread, but could not find any. If there's a similar thread, mods please merge this post.

Yesterday I was refueling my Punto MJD and noticed the lady at the pump had put the extra premium petrol's nozzle into my car. I stopped her just when she started pushing the handle. So at least 100ml of Petrol got in.

Then the tank was filled with diesel for Rs. 800/-. So the tank had about 99.5% diesel and 0.5% petrol as per my calculation.

Could this minimal quantity of petrol damage the engine/fuel pump or even the fuel filter?

I have noticed no change in the car's behavior, engine is as smooth as before, no increase or decrease in power or engine sound.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks