Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2014, 23:27   #121

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray32825 View Post
Sam, I never said start the engine, I said turn on the ignition! Why do people in Indian never read!! l

Buddy it's not just people in india who don't read., even Floridans don't read too well. Look at my point 2 in the post. I already switched on the ignition and tried to move to neutral.

Ok, I agree its a newer tranny, but surely there is some way to put the damn thing in neutral!
. Agreed there's got to be a simpler way. In my e46 in NY I remember having manual override switch.
Also check if your vehicle primes the diesel when you open the driver's door. Any way you cut it, it's going to have to be removed very carefully.

I suggest not using the pump in the tank to remove the mix, use a siphon or any other pump. You may have to clean out the lines and change the filters to be on the safe side.
That's what I plan. Since it's gasoline, will have to use something manual.

I would never have called BMW, for now they know what has happened, even if the car is out of warranty. I know

PM me your phone number, or if you can't send it to me via email - ray32825@yahoo.com
just sent you an email with my NY number. Am about 10.5 hours ahead of you, so if you do call, please call after 9 est as the NY number forwards to my cell in india

Cheers

Turbanator, it would be a great help if you have a SA number, and a reference. Everything in these parts works on references
Cheers

Turbanator, cars at sonipat. My guess is CHD would be impossible since gurgaon is 100 km to service and CHD should be 200 Kms. Either way share away, doesn't help to talk to someone personally. If I can use your reference that would be great. Cheers

Mod Note: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 14th July 2014 at 08:45.
Old 13th July 2014, 23:46   #122
BHPian

Re: BMW 520D tank filled with petrol. Need advice please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamshers View Post
just sent you an email with my NY number. Am about 10.5 hours ahead of you, so if you do call, please call after 9 est as the NY number forwards to my cell in india

Cheers
I was merely stating what I am able to do on mine which is an older model. So I actually went out of the house and confirmed, hence the post with the pic.

Anyway, there is screwdriver method, red plastic key in the trunk, and also a special release on some of the older 7 series which is near the DLC connector. We just have to figure out which applies to yours as they may be different depending on model and for which market they were manufactured.

Any idea if it primes when you open the door? (Thank God I don't have any diesels anymore)

BTW, its no problem for me to call India, its free for me. Have not received any email as yet.

Mod Note: Post Edited. Smiley usage is restricted to two per post on Team-BHP. Please do NOT use more than 2 smileys in a post.

Last edited by Stratos : 14th July 2014 at 09:55. Reason: Again, no need to mention what the 'Indian' thing is.
Ray32825 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2014, 00:00   #123
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
cars at sonipat. My guess is CHD would be impossible since gurgaon is 100 km to service
In that case Delhi will be better , if you live in Gurgaon then of course Bird Auto will be easier to Handle . Don't go by estimate given by Assistance guys , just Tow the Car to Dealership , it should not cost you much to get Fuel removed at Dealership - I am more than sure on this . Chandigarh SA wont be of any help if you are taking car to Gurgaon .
Old 14th July 2014, 00:38   #124
BHPian

There is a procedure for unlocking the electronic transmission electronically but this involves pressing the start-stop button. I don't know if this applies to this model but here it is anyway
I have the procedures for the manual release with the key from under the cup holders and also for under the vehicle, let me know if you would like to have those - they may be imp if you are having it towed. (if they apply to this model)
Attached Thumbnails
Accidentally filling Petrol in a Diesel car?-screenhunter_134-jul.-13-15.01.jpg  

Accidentally filling Petrol in a Diesel car?-screenhunter_135-jul.-13-15.01.jpg  

Accidentally filling Petrol in a Diesel car?-screenhunter_136-jul.-13-15.02.jpg  

Accidentally filling Petrol in a Diesel car?-screenhunter_137-jul.-13-15.02.jpg  

Last edited by Ray32825 : 14th July 2014 at 00:42.
Ray32825 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2014, 00:47   #125
Distinguished - BHPian

DISC. : I dont own a BMW, just trying to help. If this doesnt sound like a good idea then please ignore. S

ince the tank is completely full, you could siphon out as much as its contents as possible first. That will prevent any spillover or uncontrolled drainage even if you gain access to the tank somehow. This is safer too compared to accessing the tank directly. Once majority of the fuel is out, you can think of the next step. Since its petrol that has been filled, please be careful with it.

Also, most fuel pumps run for a short while once the ignition is in 'ON' position before the car starts. If the fuel send hose is disconnected from either the pump side or its other end, you could repeatedly pump all the fuel out of the tank with the help of the pump itself. This can be done if there is very less fuel left in the tank.

PS: This incident happened in a neighbours vento where they filled petrol in place of diesel. The same method was followed. The only difference was after siphoning, the VW guy just shorted the fuel pump relay contacts. This caused all the fuel remaining to be pumped out of the tank. After that, again a liter of diesel was poured into the tank and the relay was put back as usual. After switching the car 'ON' twice, the diesel came out of the fuel line which was then reconnected back. Car started and ran as usual. VW guy walked out with 100 He didnt even carry tools to the spot except for a spanner/driver which was required to loosen the hose connection.

Last edited by audioholic : 14th July 2014 at 00:52.
audioholic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th July 2014, 02:23   #126
Team-BHP Support

Its a 45l car you are driving, and out of warranty as you say. Best to call for a flatbed and send the car to a dealer. It shouldn't cost more than 8-10k at the max. What is 8-10k compared to the cars worth?
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2014, 02:33   #127
BHPian

@shamshers Nothing specific to a BMW, but a few precautions:
  1. Don't start the car.
  2. If the procedure to put the transmisison in neutral demands that you crank the car, take out the fuse for the fuel pump first.
  3. Drain the tank completely. Flush with fresh diesel
  4. Fill the tank completely with fresh diesel
  5. Put the fuel pump fuse back in
  6. Start the car and test if everything sounds and feels right
I think fuel lines and pump need not be replaceed since you didn't start the car, but better to take a professional opinion.

Sources: http://www.theaa.com/breakdown-cover...el-advice.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
PS: This incident happened in a neighbours vento where they filled petrol in place of diesel. The same method was followed. The only difference was after siphoning, the VW guy just shorted the fuel pump relay contacts. This caused all the fuel remaining to be pumped out of the tank. After that, again a liter of diesel was poured into the tank and the relay was put back as usual. After switching the car 'ON' twice, the diesel came out of the fuel line which was then reconnected back. Car started and ran as usual. VW guy walked out with 100 He didnt even carry tools to the spot except for a spanner/driver which was required to loosen the hose connection.
A diesel fuel pump depends on the diesel for lubrication (diesel is after all an oil). Using it to pump petrol will damage the pump.
Old 14th July 2014, 06:45   #128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Yes , we can shift to neutral in new ones as well - have a look

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=1VeyhBGOO78

If you have not started the Car after filling petrol , it should be OK to take out fuel & put fresh diesel without much fuss . But removing Fuel Tank at Petrol Pump wont be easy

Best option will be to get a Flatbed and take the car to Dealership , they should be able to do much cheaper when car is at there workshop . If you are around Karnal , Chandigarh Dealership should be friendlier based on my past experience , I can pass you numbers of service adviser's
Turbanator, I think Sam has a different shifter, probably the newer style. ( F10, not the E60). He may also have the 8HP45 transmission (8 speed). If this is the case, he will have to unlock the transmission lock electronically. (for 15 mins)
Attached Thumbnails
Accidentally filling Petrol in a Diesel car?-bmw520df1013.jpg  

Old 14th July 2014, 07:18   #129
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Oh my goodness. Thats a bad one!
The best advice is to flatbed it out and get the problem dealt with by a competent authority like the dealer.
Old 14th July 2014, 08:13   #130
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravo6 View Post

A diesel fuel pump depends on the diesel for lubrication (diesel is after all an oil). Using it to pump petrol will damage the pump.
I was referring to the feed pump, ie low pressure pump and not the Common Rail pump. My neighbours vento has done more than 18k kms after the event and he hasn't faced any issue. I think this is safer than trying to access the tank or removing it completely since the car is a Beemer and a mistake will cost a lot.
Old 14th July 2014, 08:39   #131
Team-BHP Support

I do not own a Bimmer but I’ve faced a similar issue with our Dzire when we filled diesel in our VXI. Filled the tank to the brim and started the engine, drove it for about 50m when we realized there was some jerking. Instantly drove back to the petrol pump and the pump owner tried his best siphoning the fuel out using a pump but failed since the tube couldn’t reach the fuel tank. We towed the car to a nearby truck/bus garage and got the fuel tank removed, drained the fuel, cleaned the tank to the last drop of diesel, cleaned the gauge mechanism which is immersed in the fuel tank and filled it with some petrol. We couldn’t clean the fuel filter since we were in a hurry to attend an event. The car started at the first crank and drove well thereafter. There was no drain plug for the fuel tank either. We were told some cars do.

Your best bet is to get it towed to the BMW authorized service center and let them do the rest. Get an estimate of the expenses beforehand. I am sure they would do their best to help you out irrespective of the car not being covered under warranty. I am sure this wouldn’t be covered under the warranty clause.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2014, 10:46   #132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
I do not own a Bimmer but I’ve faced a similar issue with our Dzire when we filled diesel in our VXI. Filled the tank to the brim and started the engine, drove it for about 50m when we realized there was some jerking. Instantly drove back to the petrol pump and the pump owner tried his best siphoning the fuel out using a pump but failed since the tube couldn’t reach the fuel tank. We towed the car to a nearby truck/bus garage and got the fuel tank removed, drained the fuel, cleaned the tank to the last drop of diesel, cleaned the gauge mechanism which is immersed in the fuel tank and filled it with some petrol. We couldn’t clean the fuel filter since we were in a hurry to attend an event. The car started at the first crank and drove well thereafter. There was no drain plug for the fuel tank either. We were told some cars do.

Your best bet is to get it towed to the BMW authorized service center and let them do the rest. Get an estimate of the expenses beforehand. I am sure they would do their best to help you out irrespective of the car not being covered under warranty. I am sure this wouldn’t be covered under the warranty clause.
It's not about the warranty here. BMW charges a bomb for just about anything. And issues like these, will blow a hole in the wallet.

Also OP must know that not all know about BMWs and most ghetto workarounds may not work for the Beemer. Although cars function the same regardless the tech, so most of the workarounds suggested may probably work.
Old 14th July 2014, 10:59   #133
Team-BHP Support

Siphon/Drain the tank, that is your best bet. Also remove the fuel pump fuse before you use the ignition again. Good to remove the fuel line entry to engine and let it flush some diesel out before you reconnect and restart after the fill. Find a good independent BMW mechanic and get him to do the needful.
Old 14th July 2014, 11:46   #134
Senior - BHPian

@Gannu_1
There will be heavy damage to fuel pump etc due to petrol in a diesel engine as petrol dose not lubricate like diesel, where as diesel in a petrol car will only cause knocking and carbon formation which will get washed out.

I dont recommend this with a Bimmer but want to mention the occurrence.
We had once accidentally filled petrol in our Ikon in interior Maharashtra where there were no dealerships around. We had to take the service of a local mechanic to siphon the petrol out after which only 10 Lit of diesel brought in two 5 Lit cans from a helpful trucker was put in. taking advice of the local guy we also put in 200 ml of engine oil with it and drove about 60 km to the nearest fuel pump open at night and topped up till the brim. We had no issues till we sold the car at about 1.8 Lakh km. The incident occurred when the car was just over 50000 km done.

Rahul
Old 14th July 2014, 11:51   #135
BHPian

If your car is out of warranty, you could use an independent flat bed truck to take your car to the nearest dealer. If it's just cleaning out the fuel tank and carrying out a cursory inspection, it won't cost you much. Relatively speaking, of course.

But if you'd still rather do it yourself, you should be fine if you clean out the fuel tank. Since the engine wasn't running, petrol would not have got into the system. As far as getting the car into neutral, I can PM you the details if you like.

All the best!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks