Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 12th June 2015, 09:46   #1
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Drive directly soon! India, Bangladesh, Bhutan & Nepal to sign Motor Vehicle Agreement

Drive directly to Bangladesh, Bhutan, Nepal soon - Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Nepal to sign Motor Vehicle Agreement on June 15 2015

Quote:
Vehicles with Indian registration would be able to transport passengers and goods across the border to Bangladesh, Bhutan and Nepal in the coming days, once an agreement in this regard is inked.
Source:Indian Express, Bangalore edition 11 June 2015 - Link
NPV is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 12th June 2015, 09:57   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Drive directly soon! India, Bangladesh, Bhutan & Nepal to sign Motor Vehicle Agreement

And not a day too soon. Though I ahve driven in Bhutan (extensively), Bangladesh and Burma (to a few kms) it shall come not a day too soon. Next year on my way out from NE I intend to drive across Bangladesh and Nepal to reach Delhi.
Old 12th June 2015, 15:37   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Drive directly soon! India, Bangladesh, Bhutan & Nepal to sign Motor Vehicle Agreement

The only country that one CANNOT enter EASILY with an India-registered car is Bangladesh. Bhutan and Nepal both allow entry of IND cars without big formalities like CPD and security deposits.

Would look forward to travelling to Bangladesh without too many passport / visa formalities, in my own car some day soon.
Old 12th June 2015, 16:03   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Drive directly soon! India, Bangladesh, Bhutan & Nepal to sign Motor Vehicle Agreement

How's the highway network within Bangladesh? If it's any good, it can allow people to travel to our own northeastern states in addition to Bangladesh in the same or probably even lesser time than it would take now for a 7-sisters trip.
Old 12th June 2015, 18:30   #5
Senior - BHPian

Genuine question; not trying to be funny but one may want to travel to Nepal & Bhutan for the gorgeous vistas. Why do I want to travel to Bangladesh?
Urban_Nomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2015, 18:48   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
Genuine question; not trying to be funny but one may want to travel to Nepal & Bhutan for the gorgeous vistas. Why do I want to travel to Bangladesh?
I think that's a welcome move. It would make round trip to 7 Sisters easier and not coming back the same way. Something like going to Ladakh via Srinagar and returning via Manali.
Old 12th June 2015, 18:51   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Because Bangladesh shares a lot of history and culture with West Bengal. Moreover, it is a scenic place, and a region of gastronomic delight. Not to mention the through-pass to NE state, especially Tripura. In fact, the history of all the 3 regions mentioned, along with common language spoken , is intertwined.
adg_andy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2015, 19:30   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tourism_in_Bangladesh .

Also , there are many bengalis in West Bengal having ancestral homes in Bangladesh , and vice-versa. They would benefit tremendously from improved connectivity.
Old 12th June 2015, 23:04   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
THe travel time it will reduce to travel to the states of Tripura, Mizoram, Nagaland and Manipur from the main land. The experience of traversing a delta among a few others.
wanderernomad is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th June 2015, 16:38   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Funnily enough i came across this documentary a few weeks ago. A very interesting watch, reinforcing some of the things mentioned above. Episode 2 and 3 are also worth the watch.

Cheers

B.B
Old 14th June 2015, 09:57   #11
BHPian

Honestly, Bhutan is one country who should not allow Indian vehicles inside

Reason: The quality of road manners is very high and I fear it will have negative impact on road culture over there.
Old 14th June 2015, 10:49   #12
BHPian

Or perhaps Bhutan should allow more Indian vehicles on their roads so that unruly Indian drivers learn some road manners.............
Old 16th June 2015, 19:56   #13
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

The agreement has been signed by the Union Minister for Road Transport in Bhutan yesterday.
Source:New Indian Express, Bangalore edition 16 June 2015 - Link
Old 17th June 2015, 10:58   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

India signs historic motor vehicles pact with 3 SAARC countries

On June 15th, India's Union Minister for Road Transport, Highways & Shipping, Mr. Nitin Gadkari, signed a landmark motor vehicles pact with the Transport Ministers of Bangladesh, Bhutan and Nepal.

Dubbed the BBIN MVA pact (Bangladesh, Bhutan, India and Nepal Motor Vehicle Agreement for regulation of passenger, personal and cargo vehicular traffic), this will now facilitate smooth transit of passenger and transport vehicles to these countries and back, and vice versa.

The BBIN MVA is expected to not only cut transport costs but also foster development of multi-modal transport and transit facilities, thereby enabling increased connectivity and promoting higher levels of trade between the four countries.

A similar pact is brewing between India, Myanmar and Thailand in the near future.

Drive directly soon! India, Bangladesh, Bhutan & Nepal to sign Motor Vehicle Agreement-l20150615666283126699x380.jpg

Speaking on the occasion, Mr. Gadkari said at the news conference:

Quote:
“This MVA, which would eventually allow motor vehicles of all categories registered in our countries to move freely in the region, is a first and small but substantial step endorsing the commitment of our national leaders to deepen regional integration for peace, stability and prosperity."
AutoCarPro

Last edited by RavenAvi : 17th June 2015 at 11:00.
RavenAvi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th June 2019, 00:56   #15
BHPian

Has any BHPian taken their car to Bangladesh via roads as part of this BBIN initiative? Just curious as not much experiences posted online for reference.

The route to northeastern states like Meghalaya will be 400km less if considered through Bangladesh from a starting point like kolkata.

Most Viewed