Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 24th June 2015, 00:21   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Ladakh Taxi Mafia passes resolution banning Self-drive rentals!

I was under impression that only Goan Taxi Mafia does things like this but this one also comes equal.
When the Goa Government reduced the Petrol rate by whopping 17 Rupees, the taxi fare was not reduced. What more to say.
Old 24th June 2015, 11:03   #17
BHPian

As far as self drive in 'own' vehicle is concerned, no one can do anything, other than the petty problems created by local taxi drivers ( as stated by Anshuman), culpable to harassment. It's true that self driven vehicles do eat away the bread and butter of the local cabbies, but to what extent? In reality how many "AAM AADMI" would even dream of doing Ladakh in their own car? Opportunity lost would be in single digit percentage figures right? This is primarily an effort to stop the self drive "rentals" which again, to me, is an encroachment on the fundamental rights of a tax paying law abiding citizen.

PS: And we merrily remain the certified nerds of society, who would drive miles upon miles to reach a particular place.
me_sid is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th June 2015, 12:27   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
It's a free country. The Ballard Estate chaiwalla can't stop Starbucks from opening up in the same locality.
It doesn't seem so in India.
The Legislature (who pass laws) will always pander to issues that can help them garner local votes.
The Executive (ministers, district administration included) are unfortunately also carved out from the short sighted legislature.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sukhoi30 View Post
I guess it must be to avoid competition from private "cabbies" originating from Haryana, Delhi, Manali etc. who must be driving into "their" areas saying that it is "self-driven" rental cabs.
Why would you want to reduce competition?
If the locals find it hard to compete with outsiders for the same job, they will be pushed to either do a better job or forced to change their jobs to something else that pays well (perhaps migrate).
In either case it will be good for the tourists as well as the locals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
The Taxi drivers Union does not care about anything else but their own interests, a lot of drivers are sensible and will be helpful but the union won't let them go out of the way to help tourists.
Unions work on this same principles worldwide.
Whether they are supported by law or otherwise.

Last edited by moralfibre : 24th June 2015 at 15:37. Reason: Removing political references.
alpha1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th June 2015, 15:04   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by me_sid View Post
It's true that self driven vehicles do eat away the bread and butter of the local cabbies, but to what extent? In reality how many "AAM AADMI" would even dream of doing Ladakh in their own car? Opportunity lost would be in single digit percentage figures right? This is primarily an effort to stop the self drive "rentals" which again, to me, is an encroachment on the fundamental rights of a tax paying law abiding citizen.
Well, for these "single digit percentage figure" people, if there is no driving, then there is no point of the trip to Ladakh. So the Taxi's anyway lost this busines, but it is just a total loss for the other ancillary one's like the hotels and the restaurants and the shopping etc.

Driving to Ladakh and back is a tedious job and those looking for just a vacation will anyways catch the flight. It is the driving enthusiasts who would take the road to Ladakh. For them, Ladakh is just a part of the trip.
The drive is the "main course" and the destination is just the "dessert".
vinit.merchant is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th June 2015, 15:29   #20
BHPian

An alternate point of view on this matter is; unlike other places(plains), driving under snow and in mountains should be avoided by newcomers. Though in Ladakh the roads are not with twists and turns. In one journey in Sikkim, our vehicle got stuck in mud in pitch dark and vehicle are veering towards the slope, it took lot of effort and skill by the driver to get out. I would prefer local/skilled/familiar with roads for for unknown places with families.
Old 24th June 2015, 16:20   #21
BHPian

Not only in ladakh, this is a practice being followed even in Gulmarg, Sonmarg, Pahalgam etc. where the local taxi union people do not let cabs from other places (including cabs belonging to Jammu, Srinagar et al) to ply in local boundaries. They go to the extent of hurting a person trying to do so and even damaging the vehicle.
Old 24th June 2015, 16:48   #22
Senior - BHPian

One of the most breathtaking places in the world; being demonized by these insects. What a country!!!

Maybe "Agent Smith" was actually right - "Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet"
Urban_Nomad is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th June 2015, 16:51   #23
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvtandon View Post
Not only in ladakh, this is a practice being followed even in Gulmarg, Sonmarg, Pahalgam etc. where the local taxi union people do not let cabs from other places (including cabs belonging to Jammu, Srinagar et al) to ply in local boundaries. They go to the extent of hurting a person trying to do so and even damaging the vehicle.
This resolution is not about TAXIs. Its about "SELF drive rentals" like Zoomcar etc.,
Outside ladakh taxis are anyways not allowed. You can only be dropped to your hotel, that's it.
Old 24th June 2015, 16:52   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinit.merchant View Post
Well, for these "single digit percentage figure" people, if there is no driving, then there is no point of the trip to Ladakh. So the Taxi's anyway lost this busines, but it is just a total loss for the other ancillary one's like the hotels and the restaurants and the shopping etc.

Driving to Ladakh and back is a tedious job and those looking for just a vacation will anyways catch the flight. It is the driving enthusiasts who would take the road to Ladakh. For them, Ladakh is just a part of the trip.
The drive is the "main course" and the destination is just the "dessert".
Thats the whole point. And this would be true to any member on this forum who thinks of taking this journey. I think this kind of news will do more bad than good for the locals and the tourism in the region.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullock-Car View Post
An alternate point of view on this matter is; unlike other places(plains), driving under snow and in mountains should be avoided by newcomers. Though in Ladakh the roads are not with twists and turns. In one journey in Sikkim, our vehicle got stuck in mud in pitch dark and vehicle are veering towards the slope, it took lot of effort and skill by the driver to get out. I would prefer local/skilled/familiar with roads for for unknown places with families.
I dont think banning is the solution for this. Somethings need to be left for personal choice.

Any idea what Zoomcar has to say about this. I mean this would mean other regions would follow suit.
Old 24th June 2015, 17:28   #25
BHPian

I would like to share a bitter experience that I had in Rohtang when I visited in June 2014 in a private diesel Innova. (The National Green Tribunal (NGT) banned movement of all diesel operated tourists vehicles to Rohtang Pass in April this year)

So, we were a group of six friends and we left for Rohtang Pass at 4 a.m. from our hotel in Manali anticipating maddening rush as June is the peak tourist season. And we were not disappointed. There was a massive jam that ran for several kilometers and it took us nearly five hours to reach Rohtang.

When we decided to leave, a couple of hours later, the traffic situation had worsened, due to teh constant arrival of cars and in particular by the haphazardly parked vehicles -- majority of which were private cars from outside Himachal Pradesh.

There was Maroon coloured Manza from Uttar Pradesh that had blocked a part of the road in a way that only one vehicle could pass at a time. Many drivers managed to pass, while cursing the driver of the Manza until a couple of trucks arrived on both sides of the road.

Within minutes, the truckers (all locals with HP registration plates) joined by the taxi drivers gathered around the Manza, thereby blocking the road and worsening the situation.

Coincidentally, the Manza driver arrived on the scene as well and just as he sat inside, a couple truckers grabbed and pulled him outside, slapped and abused him till he literally begged for mercy. He was spared only after other tourists including our group intervened.

However, things didn't end here, almost immediately after this happened, some of the truckers and cabbies started flaunting their authority in a rude and disrespectful manner, as if they were on a power trip.

Banging bonnets and windows of cars not parked properly while screaming expletives.

It felt like the LOCALS were bullying the OUTSIDERS read tourists.

I know for a fact that the huge traffic jams would surely add to the stress levels of the local drivers and maybe, that's why all through the trip I got this feeling that we were not welcome there.

So, whether the district magistrate approves this request or not, ultimately, its the goons masquerading as taxi/bus operators who won't think twice before taking matters in their hands to teach outsiders a lesson.

And I would surely prefer the safety of my family over the joy of driving amidst scenic landscape.

Last edited by captain.torque : 24th June 2015 at 17:33.
captain.torque is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 24th June 2015, 19:04   #26
BHPian

Recently in one of the Airports, OLA cabbie was chased by airport taxi drivers. So this insecurity is prevailing.
I am amused to find a signature by a biker's club representative!
Old 24th June 2015, 20:20   #27
BHPian

Oh no! This is bad news. I was looking forward to driving to Ladakh myself someday.

On a slightly , in bangalore the local auto rickshaw guys have started fighting with Ola cab guys
Old 24th June 2015, 21:58   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwatiS View Post
Oh no! This is bad news. I was looking forward to driving to Ladakh myself someday.

On a slightly , in bangalore the local auto rickshaw guys have started fighting with Ola cab guys
Hi @SwatiS - ola / meru etc cabs are being tracked in this thread - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post3738428

Do you have any info about this fight that you can share on that thread? Thanks!
Old 24th June 2015, 22:17   #29
BHPian

Well, given the way things are proceeding in Ladakh, and for that matter in the rest of India, soon even private vehicles will not be allowed on the regular roads. In West Bengal, for example, if one comes to kolkata via SH7 there are invariably a couple of roadblocks where local clubs ask for contribution for a festival. Though the amount is not much but it still feels like being violated.

Slightly OT, but still relevant to the issue.
noidea is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2015, 00:21   #30
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwatiS View Post

Yes, you definitely can drive to Ladakh. Not someday. But today. Only you cannot do that in a Zoomcar or Carzonrent, or Hertz
Closed Thread

Most Viewed