Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th July 2015, 07:18   #1
Senior - BHPian

Attempting to get a licence on my own. Queries about the test & procedures?

Hi

I am planning to get a license for my daughter without going through a driving school (yeah, I know. I am cool like that!)

The plan is to get both scooter & car licenses. The location is Bangalore. Daughter is comfortable driving both the Innova & the Activa in regular conditions (eg, thru Silk board, Sony World etc).

I wanted to know a few things:

- Exactly what do they ask the driver to do for issuing a license for (a) scooter & (b) car? I only know vaguely that they will ask you to drive around and do the infamous 'Eight' shape.
- Do they have a fixed route/ area they test in?
- Do they check parallel parking?
- Hill starts?
- Regular parking?
- How do they test reversing skills? JUst a reverse L or something more?
- Emergency braking?
- Indicating
- Defensive driving (In the US, I remember that they used to check if you cover your brakes if the car ahead hits the brakes)
- Distance between your vehicle & the vehicle in front
- Lane changing
- Where do they make you do the eight?
- Scooter - is anything required other than the ability to navigate traffic and do U turns? Do they ask you to put it up on the centre stand? (Why?)

- What is the process? Is it sufficient to download the documents, get a doctor certificate (got one for LL. Is it required again?) and then go to the RTO? Or are there any hidden steps? Do we need to take a prior appointment?

- Vehicles: Tax/ Insurance paid up. Is owner's permission required?

- Does AASI membership help in any way?

Last edited by GTO : 6th July 2015 at 14:16. Reason: No SMS language on Team-BHP please
sridhu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2015, 08:31   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Depends on the RTO. Few RTO have dedicated track while many use public roads.

I got my license from Rajajinagar RTO and they have a dedicated track outside bangalore near peenya.

Fir two wheeler they asked me to ride around the shape 8 without keeping the foot down and go around a couple of turnings giving proper indicator and all.

For car they mainly test if you can start off without stalling. Cars go around a bigger track and they test the reversing ability on a S curve. Again they will fail a private candidate if he or she stalls the car anytime in the circuit. But a driving school candidate is allowed a couple of chances because of you-know-why reasons.

Also since you are going on your own, you should take your own car. Take the car which she is comfortable with and has driven for long. Don't experiment with new cars on the day of test.

Key is to not to think of it like tests and just go thinking you are driving in silk board in peak hour. Your daughter will pass with flying colors. All the best to her.

Last edited by sagarpadaki : 5th July 2015 at 08:32.
sagarpadaki is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 5th July 2015, 09:47   #3
BHPian

re: Attempting to get a licence on my own. Queries about the test & procedures?

Does she have a learners license issued? I think that is mandatory before she applies for permanent license.
DWind is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th July 2015, 09:50   #4
Senior - BHPian

I got both my car & motorcycle license without going through driving school. This was back in 1991, though.

I first got my car (LMV) license. It is easier to endorse the license with 2-wheeler with gear category after getting it first for LMV.

Took my grandfather's Ambassador Mark 2 for the test. Some things to keep in mind about the car:
1. Must have proper documentation. Carry original RC, Insurance, Emissions Certificate. Car must be in good condition - should not have any obvious and visible flaws. If the car is registered in your name, all the better.
2. Large red "L" board front and back
3. Accompany your daughter and ensure you are carrying your drivers license as well.

In the test, the inspector just asked me to drive around the block. He observed that I knew how to handle traffic, the car, and gave proper signals. But in the end, he was a bit irritated that he found no reason to fail me (and subsequently took that irritation out on my grandfather by being unnecessarily rude to him). However, a few years before that, my aunt also went the same non-driving-school route to getting a license and failed. She was tested as rigorously as they would in Europe!!

As far as procedure is concerned - I have no idea, but in your position, I would sweet talk the PRO into giving me inside information on what would work and what wouldn't.

Word of advice - you are bucking the trend and being maverick. The "system" does not like people like you. Be alert to hints that various officials might drop along the way that they need to be "compensated" for your maverick-ness.

Last edited by KiloAlpha : 5th July 2015 at 09:52.
KiloAlpha is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th July 2015, 16:46   #5
BHPian

You can get it done without the "driving schools" but multiple attempts might be required, the RTO folks will try their best to find some excuse to fail her.

Steps to follow to get LL are,

1. Fill online form and submit. Carry documents ( and self attested copies), 3 photos and printed form to RTO.

2. Be at the RTO by 10 am as they accept applications only till 12 noon.

3. Pay Rs 60 (30+30) for LMV + TWH LL.

4. Complete verification of documents, verify data entry into system.

5. Provide finger prints and photo

6. Take the LL test, ace it (hopefully!)

7. Collect the LL from the RTO after 2 days between 4-5 pm.

After the LL is done, the road test can be done after 30 days.
Bhodrolok is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th July 2015, 17:21   #6
Senior - BHPian

She has already got LL - so that is taken care of.

Does AASI membership help in any way?

I guess we need to attempt it 3-4 times.

Another question: Can both car & scooter be taken at the same time? Does it matter?
Old 5th July 2015, 17:55   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Yes, car and scooter DL can be attempted at the same time
sagarpadaki is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 6th July 2015, 12:46   #8
BHPian

AASI Chennai has withdrawn RTO facilitation. They dont support getting license anymore.
Not sure about Bangalore chapter.

Last edited by GTO : 6th July 2015 at 14:17. Reason: Spelling
druva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2015, 12:54   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post
Does AASI membership help in any way?
Call up the local AASI office and check their services for DL application. They're a blessing for getting the IDP. I'm sure their membership must make things simple (legally).

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post
Another question: Can both car & scooter be taken at the same time? Does it matter?
You can and it is recommended. Else, you've to navigate thru' bureaucratic redtape yet again. When I applied for my DL, the wise men at Pune RTO "forgot" to add the validation to drive LMV. It turned out to be an immense hassle to get it added; they dilly dallied for a month. I then sent in reinforcements (my mum) who walked into the manager's cabin asking for an explanation. Needless to say, after that, I got the DL hand-delivered OTC (it was allowed then) within 3 days.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 6th July 2015 at 12:58.
libranof1987 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th July 2015, 13:46   #10
BHPian

I went the private route for both 2 wheeler and car licences, years ago. Here's what I think are what you need to keep in mind:

- Take vehicles you are comfortable with. A fumble or a stall with an unfamiliar vehicle will make the inspector fail you.
- Even if the mirrors are adjusted perfectly, make a show of adjusting them anyway!
- Seat belts, helmets, etc. are obviously important.
- Hand signals are important. Nobody uses them these days and the inspector might not (not sure) insist on them either but using the correct hand signals will help pass the test!
- All the documents need to be in order. Cross all you t's and dot all your i's.
- If the RTO uses a test track, one of the tests is to reverse out from a slot as you turn or something similar to that. So being able to park and maneuver the car in traffic is important. Most driving schools just teach how to drive in a straight line, turn and stop.

I hope that this helps. Good luck!
Motard_Blr is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 28th July 2015, 08:25   #11
Senior - BHPian

Re: Attempting to get a licence on my own. Queries about the test & procedures?

Quick questions:

- Reversing:

I have taught her to reverse as per the US method:Put you left hand on the back of the passenger seat, lean over & look thru the rear window and reverse. Use the side mirrors for assistance. I see that driving schools teach people to reverse by looking at the mirrors & by peeping out thru the driver side window.

Question: Will the RTO fail her for using the US method? (I prefer the US method myself)

- Signalling

Somebody told me that hand signalling is a MUST to get a driver's license. While my daughter does indicate properly for turns & lane changes, (Even checks blind spots) I have not drilled the hand signalling to her.

Question: Again, Is hand signalling necessary? Will they fail her driving test if she does not?

Thanks in advance, folks.
Old 29th March 2017, 16:49   #12
Senior - BHPian

*Bumping up an old thread*

Has anyone tried to get a driving license on their own (permanent ,for a car) in Pune recently ?
I am looking to go the "self" route for getting the permanent license, but there seem to be no clear directions on the web on how to go about getting one. The Pune RTO Official website ( http://www.rtopune.info/ ) is perennially down and hence isnt of much help.
The test involves an "8" shaped track, an "H" , for parking in reverse, and a gradient.
I read somewhere that you do not need to go through a driving school agent , but only vehicles with dual side controls for brakes and clutch are allowed on the track, which is a bummer. Who owns personal vehicles with dual controls ?

News confirming only dual control vehicles allowed , This leaves people with pretty much no option than to go with an agent.

EDIT : PS : This is not for me, I already have a license. I was looking to go the private car route because it would be easier for the test taker on an Automatic car.

Last edited by sajo : 29th March 2017 at 16:51. Reason: Adding a point
Old 19th May 2017, 18:10   #13
Senior - BHPian

So I am trying to get a driving license appointment , but am stuck on the very first step. There is no Pune RTO (MH12) listed on the Sarathi website at all!

As per the site http://mahatranscom.in/VisitNICPage.aspx , I opened https://sarathi.nic.in:8443/nrportal...i/HomePage.jsp .

Selected a new "DL" appointment and was presented with this page where you can enter the appointee's details.

Attempting to get a licence on my own. Queries about the test & procedures?-sarathi_capture.jpg

Any tips ? Am I on the correct page to begin with ?
Old 5th October 2020, 22:15   #14
BHPian

Driving License questions of a newbie

The time has come!

I am gonna go to appear for my learner's license test for LMV and Geared two-wheelers.

I haven't applied separately for gearless as I believe it is covered under geared.

I need help regarding what I need to learn and reliable sources from where I should do that.
I am quite familiar with the road rules and signs but would like to do it again.

So except from going through the road safety threads and worshipping Thad, what else do I do to prepare myself well for this exam

I have not gone to driving school, but have learned to get the hang of driving and riding over some time. Taught by my grandfather and my father over private roads, like our farm or inside the AF station.

I am taking my exam at RTO Office Somajiguda.

Thanks guys. I am already excited about maybe meeting BHPians on drives and meets.

What can I do to prepare myself??
Old 6th October 2020, 00:02   #15
BHPian

Re: Driving License questions of a newbie

Hey, I was in the same shoes 6 or 7 years back and I used the official question bank from the then undivided AP RTO's website.

I found those here. The test mostly revolves around the situations given here. IMHO preparing on these + some imaginary scenarios that you can think of, should be enough.

All the best!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks