Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 8th July 2015, 00:59   #1
Team-BHP Support

NGT bans 2-wheelers from Rohtang Pass. EDIT: Those going onward can take permit from SDM

Bikers planning the Manali Leh highway, cancel. NGT orders have come. This time they are being very strict due to non compliance of earlier orders.

EDIT : Reports now suggest you can go onward towards Leh by taking permit from Manali SDM office

One of the directions given is complete ban on two wheelers

Here is a news article

http://www.ibnlive.com/news/india/ng...t-1016783.html

Also attached is relevant page of the order
NGT bans 2-wheelers from Rohtang Pass. EDIT: Those going onward can take permit from SDM-1.jpg

Last edited by tsk1979 : 8th July 2015 at 12:03.
tsk1979 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 8th July 2015, 01:47   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: NGT bans 2-wheelers from Rohtang Pass. EDIT: Those going onward can take permit from SDM

2 wheelers wont be allowed to go to Rohtang Pass.
But with permits, one can ride to Leh.

Last edited by GTO : 8th July 2015 at 17:05. Reason: Typo
akshay4587 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2015, 05:10   #3
BHPian

re: NGT bans 2-wheelers from Rohtang Pass. EDIT: Those going onward can take permit from SDM

Now this needs to be cleared out. And this is a decision again based on politico movement. What are the other ways to go about it? And why do you think they are imposing this ban, are they close to opening the tunnel under Rohtang?
Shivanshu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th July 2015, 10:12   #4
BHPian

Does this mean that one cannot ride to Leh anymore? Or does it only apply to Two-Wheelers going only till Rohtang?

Also, I see that Dhabas and Eateries are going to be removed at Rohtang. Though this maybe a good move - in terms of ensuring hygiene and reducing waste but I cannot help but pity people who climb all the way to Rohtang and cannot have a Maggi or Chai. I remember on my solo ride with my wife - we were very tired and I was lightheaded on reaching Rohtang and till date I cannot forget the Maggi and Chai that re-energised me to move on and reach Keylong!
Old 8th July 2015, 11:46   #5
Senior - BHPian

How absurd is this? We speak about the dictatorial attitude of Leh taxi mafia, i dont know what this amounts to. Why can we not simply restrict the number of vehicles going upto Rohtang and those going beyond? What next now, more than 4 people will not be allowed to go up in a single group? Come on!
Old 8th July 2015, 11:54   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
2 wheeler s wont be allowed to go to Rohtang Pass.
The problem is that NGT has recommended severe action against the DM and DC etc., So till the next hearing, what do they do?
Do they play over cautious?
Old 8th July 2015, 11:58   #7
Senior - BHPian

What?? NGT is acting as local goons, banning outside vehicles and not permitting two wheelers on the road. A rickety diesel bus serviced ages ago will do more pollution than a group of 50 bikes.

If the vehicles headed to Leh are permitted, then the bikers who want to only visit Rohtang pass will get the Leh permit and not use it. After all it's only a 'permission' and not a 'commitment' to go to Leh.
Old 8th July 2015, 12:03   #8
Team-BHP Support

Re: NGT bans two wheelers from going to Rohtang Pass: EDIT Those going onward can take permit from S

Quote:
2 wheeler s wont be allowed to go to Rohtang Pass.
Reports coming in suggest that you have to take permit from SDM now to go onward from Rohtang Pass
tsk1979 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th July 2015, 12:04   #9
Senior - BHPian

Re: NGT bans two wheelers from going to Rohtang Pass: EDIT Those going onward can take permit from S

What a joke of authority vested with NGT. There seem to be no logic whatsoever in such orders - similar to some kind of Fatva (no religious offence) and without being rational towards anything.

So now, take your bike closer to the pass, hire a petrol driven loader / open back cab, let your bike cross the pass on the loader, take it off 2 km down of the other side of pass and move to Leh ! because it is quite possible that even bikes with permission might have to face challenge in crossing the pass because of independent interpretation of the notice from NGT

This will also add to the economic wellbeing of the small petrol driven loader tampoo / mini vans

Cheers

Last edited by i74js : 8th July 2015 at 12:07.
Old 8th July 2015, 12:42   #10
Senior - BHPian

So on what basis does the Bharat Sarkar official give the permit?
Old 8th July 2015, 13:32   #11
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

What about the two-wheelers coming from Keylong/Kaza side towards Manali?

Are these two wheelers required to get any permit?
Old 8th July 2015, 13:59   #12
BHPian

But why only ban motorcycles, ban all mediums of transport, let people walk hike jump their way to wherever they want to go to.
Let there not be any road as well, damn they have even banned horses!

Whats the point? Is this happening in our country? With all the permits required, it anyways felt that you're applying for a visa to travel, now we can have another travelogue, The Walk to Leh!
Old 8th July 2015, 21:43   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Reports coming in suggest that you have to take permit from SDM now to go onward from Rohtang Pass
Yeah, that's true.
But how does one prove that he is going to leh?
I can get a permit, cross Rohtang and return?
akshay4587 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2015, 11:03   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Yeah, that's true.
But how does one prove that he is going to leh?
I can get a permit, cross Rohtang and return?
When you try to control symptoms and not the disease, this is what you get. The full NGT order has an observation that permits were being sold at "black" rates. with 20,000 for a taxi full of tourists.
So pollution is same, black ice is same, trash is same, just the government is richer.
tsk1979 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th July 2015, 12:46   #15
BHPian

Re: NGT bans 2-wheelers from Rohtang Pass. EDIT: Those going onward can take permit from SDM

As a resident of Himachal (Mandi), I fully support this decision. Here are the reasons :-
  • Rohtang Pass and the adjoining areas of Marhi and Solang Nala have a very delicate ecological system. Huge number of vehicles, be it any kind, pose a huge danger to that system.
  • Secondly, NGT was hell bent on banning any kind of vehicular activity beyond Solang Nala. They would've allowed only army vehicles. A second verdict will come out on 16th of July and I think that they're going to do this.
  • Moreover, Beas river has its source at Rohtang Pass (Vyas Kund). Just imagine, if, due to the huge level of vehicular pollution up there, the source gets dried. Then, it would've been a huge ecological disaster. There are some tributaries such as Parvati river which adds water to the river at Bhuntar, but still, it would've been a huge disaster.
  • Also, people do NOT follow the rules. So they had to enforce the ban. For example, plastic bags are banned in Himachal. But you can see them everywhere in Rohtang Pass, Solang Nala and Marhi. Tourists drive like morons here and they overtake on curves (even blind curves) which is very, very dangerous. Remember last year, when 20+ students from Andhra Pradesh tragically died because they went in the middle of the river in the summer season even though the locals pleaded them not to do so. Tourists act like morons here, they have no regards for the local laws and practices. Those students died because they went in the middle of a Himalayan river which is on its full flow in the summer season. This is 7th or 8th grade geography and they were engineering students! They also neglected the warning written on signboard that said not to go in the river as the water from the hydro-project is released periodically.
  • Moreover, earlier decision was to allow 1000 vehicles (600 petrol and 400 diesel). The fee was ₹1000 from petrol vehicles, ₹2500 from diesel up to 5 seats and ₹5000 above 5 seats. But the corrupt administration allowed 2000 vehicles (1200 petrol and 800 diesel) and they didn't even charge the prescribed fee from diesel vehicles, just paltry ₹500 from all.

As of today's newspaper (Amar Ujala), they're removed the shops, dhabas etc from Rohtang Pass and alongside the road as they also contributed to corruption and pollution.

Please try to understand this decision. I know it is very harsh and tough, but they had to do it and they will take more tough measures to stop the destruction of environment.

P.S.:- The Himachal Pradesh High Court has also banned snacks etc (Chips, namkeen, chocolates, sweets etc) which come in plastic bags. They allowed only milk, bread and other essential items. But, the retailer association got a year's relief from the court. This ruling will be implemented early next year. And it will be a huge relief to the environment. You know why, because people do not use trash cans (tourists and locals alike) to dispose them off. When they banned plastic bags 15 to 20 years ago, there was huge uproar. But now, people support it because you can't see plastic bags alongside rivers, in forests etc due to the ban and the environment looks good.
0xTKB is offline   (12) Thanks

Most Viewed