Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th July 2015, 18:56   #31
BHPian

Re: Car convoy attacked in Ladakh by taxi mafia!

I think we all should highlight it and forward this to TV Channels.
A few stories in media will put pressure on the Local Authorities in Ladakh to take action.
Cant a PIL be filed in Supreme Court to stop all this ?
Old 17th July 2015, 18:57   #32
Senior - BHPian

Even if like minded folks like us decide NOT to visit that part of country the dent in the tourist business is going to be negligible!

What was required was the ladies from the convoy to do a dharna in front of the Leh/Manali main police station unless something was done.

You guys should've shot videos of dharna and shared it on fb, twitter along with pics of the attack! (Assuming video of the attack is not available)

Such a large convoy would've definitely had some media links, should've used them. As such all media guys feed on is chaos, should've given them a bite!

I mean if we let this incident go then what is next, a couple gets murdered for venturing into Ladakh in their own 4x4?!

This is a traveller's nightmare!

Shame on Ladakh Cops!
Shame on Ladakh Administration!!

No offence to any Taxi guys, they can do whatever they want because the law there just lost all testosterone from their body so its free for all and I wouldn't blame the Taxi guys AT ALL!
Old 17th July 2015, 18:59   #33

Last week we were there in the Mahindra Adventure convoy of 20 vehicles participating in Monastery Escape, didn't feel any threat or maybe we were sheer lucky. the general feeling was of ease maybe because Dalai lama was visiting let the same time, it will be very sad for the region and economy if these guys have a notion that they will have their way . we are the people who have publicized your region for tourism and we are the same people who will NOT publicize it for good too.
Old 17th July 2015, 19:00   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

From extreme Gentlemen when it came to road sense and right of way to Hooliganism. What has Leh-Ladakh transformed to!

It was almost a year before that we drove in a Linea and a self Drive Innova and returned back very satisfied with no untoward incidents. We were thrilled the way the local drivers around Leh-Ladakh helped us : Routes, Service Centers etc.

Going by the recent activities in this region, I would rather not advise anyone to venture till situation is under control. The very reason why these protests started was due to self drive cars (Now a trend in our country) and knowing how self driven cars are turning out to be a successful business model with a win-win strategy, It is far from hopes that Self Drive car companies will shut shop. In Short, sooner or later, they will stop offering cars for Leh-Ladakh package altogether.

Mafias are very strong and totally inhuman due to the nature of grudge they have when they witness their income dwindling.

The other day I was told by my colleague at work that a certain apartment in Bangalore has no Airtel DTH connections and still runs on Cable TV Mafia's mercy as the DTH Installers are beaten black and blue the moment they try to enter their premises. All this due to the MLA connection the cable Mafia has.

The taxi Mafia in Leh-Ladakh would not do this unless there are vested interests and they are backed up by Political support. No wonder even the cops were hesitant to register a complaint.
paragsachania is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 17th July 2015, 19:05   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Tweeted it to the a few news channels and a very active 'political' tweeter user. Rather than sending emails to the taxi union, let's email to the hotels.
Have also shared the news on BCMT as well as TripAdvisor.

http://www.tripadvisor.in/ShowTopic-...d_Kashmir.html

http://www.bcmtouring.com/forums/thr...i-mafia.64537/
Dry Ice is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 17th July 2015, 19:07   #36
BHPian

This is an absolute nightmare.. whats even more worrying is how these goons chased down the convoy and not just let it go after the first incident. Gives an idea of how dangerous these people are.

As ordinary citizens, what can we do, other than publicize this in social media ?

A video of the incident would have had a better chance of making it to the mainstream news, but I understand the travelers were running for their dear lives when this happened.
Old 17th July 2015, 19:08   #37
BHPian

Not sure if it's the Ladakhi community at fault here, because most of the taxi drivers I saw when I was there appeared to be either Kashmiri or from elsewhere. This is another real sad development in this country's state of affairs. We need IL permits to visit the NE states and need taxi drivers' permission to visit Ladakh now. Feel robbed or underprivileged for not being able to visit such places. I also feel this divide is here to stay for some time.
Old 17th July 2015, 19:10   #38
BHPian

Perhaps this happened because they convoy had self drive cars along with them. I am wondering why weren't they stopped at check posts prior to reaching Leh? Are any permits needed on the route this convoy took? If so, why were the permits issued to Self Drive Vehicles? I haven't been there myself but was planning this year. I think the dreams of my tourists including me will now be just in vain until situations get better. The ministry will have to come forward in the interests of public and find a way to mitigate this situation.
Old 17th July 2015, 19:13   #39
BHPian

Leh, Ladakh are going to be OFF my list of places to see. Leh was one of the contenders for our family vacation later this year, but no more. I'd rather go elsewhere.

Is this where this country is headed?

I think this incident should be publicized to the maximum extent possible so anyone would think twice before going to Ladakh. Let all businesses there suffer.
Old 17th July 2015, 19:33   #40
BHPian

The extent and the violence of it is terrible.
Though I have seen similar (though not so violent) acts by taxi mafia
1. We had rented taxis from Srinagar for trip in the valley. But in Pahalgam those taxi had to be parked in a separate area and we were forced to rent local taxis.

2. Goa - have seen local taxi mafia damaging any Goa board car self driven car.
Old 17th July 2015, 19:36   #41
Senior - BHPian

Sorry for the second post, but a thought just occurred to me. Today its cars, what if tomorrow they start attacking bikers riding to Ladakh?

Ladakh was on the top of my places to visit (of course not by driving). Now I would rethink due to this attitude.
Old 17th July 2015, 19:48   #42
BHPian

Its really terrible and unfortunate incident!
Thank God that no one seriously injured. But very sad about vehicles damage.
Government should take action on priority else it will badly affect tourism in Ladakh and it will also reflect very badly for tourism in India as a whole. In any any case Ladakh has very limited period for tourism and on top of it these taxi mafia reducing it by behaving in such manner.
My Ladakh drive with own car is on hold now at least for next few years. Even I wont allow my parents to visit Ladakh which they were thinking for next year.

Regards,
Sameer.
Old 17th July 2015, 20:00   #43
Senior - BHPian

I feel a bunch of guys from Delhi should go in a convoy with enough hands to beat the miscreants. They should take a posse of media(disguised) with them to record the entire event of the Ladakhi taxi unions obstructive activities and then make it national news.

For sure the entire Ladakhi taxi union miscreants should be beaten up by the (disguised)goons in the convoy. The media attention should be sufficient to highlight their nonsense on a national scale. This will surely affect their tourism.

We sit in silence and post our protests here but that will not help those who dream to visit ladakh on their own in their own vehicles, unless this news becomes mainstream.
jaysmokesleaves is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th July 2015, 20:09   #44
Senior - BHPian

This is the scariest thing to happen to anyone. Mob trying to beat you up for no fault. Should not have happened.
A shameful act by the local Taxi mafia. Something that has hampered their image for ever. Even people (those who know of this incident) travelling by air will think twice before hiring the local cab.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
For sure the entire Ladakhi taxi union miscreants should be beaten up by the (disguised)goons in the convoy.
Sorry but I would disagree with your thinking. Cannot beat fire with fire. Only leads to aggravating the already bad scenario and can have much worse implications than what has already happened.
vinit.merchant is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th July 2015, 20:11   #45
BHPian

Such a shame to the common citizens and population of peaceloving Ladakh. Just because some travellers brought rented cars and drove around. This is ridiculous.

In my couple of visits, including the most recent last year I did not experience any animosity anywhere. Thankfully we had our own car.

However, looks like the taxi mafia has grown stronger. First a few years ago they had started to say taxis coming from Manali cannot drive around and they can only deposit travellers in Leh and go back. Now those in car rentals are being targeted. Do they really want international and local travellers in Ladakh at all or not.

What is the local administration doing - DC and SP - they should have known that there can be unruly cowards trying to target travellers. Come to think of it if this incident had taken place somewhere remote and someone would have been injured seriously - imagine how far was the nearest hospital. Imagine the comfort of your car no longer being available due to someone smashing the windscreen. Imagine no spare parts being available until Srinagar/Jammu/Ludhiana or Manali/Mandi/Chandigarh. Imagine trying to explain to your family (or even traumatized kid) why this happened ad how close were you to the protestors ad broke glass/stones.

What these folks don't realise is just to garner some small business they maybe doing themselves greater harm. Hundreds (or maybe thousand or even more) travellers will be discouraged to drive. What does that do to the economy of the smaller towns whose economy is dependent on travellers in the 4-5 months roads are open.

Under Article 19 The Constitution of India ensures Right to Freedom - Freedom to move freely throughout the territory of India. One certainly understands some local restrictions (such as to curb spread of epidemics etc) but this is outrageous.

For so many years Ladakh region had largely closed doors - need inner line permits. But only last year the administration relaxed that. Perhaps to put a friendly face to the thousands of travellers. If the administration cannot curb this hooliganism then their reputation can be seriously hurt and the fragile economy shaken.

The news, video (if any) pictures need to go viral, they need to reach MHA, MEA, the offices of the Hill Council and even the PMO.

For all of us who love Leh - please do your bit in spreading the word of this incident and making sure the administration clamps down on this hooliganism.
Rajain is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks