Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st October 2015, 17:27   #541
BHPian

Re: Car convoy attacked in Ladakh by taxi mafia!

Good to hear that everybody is safe. But I must say that it was a narrow escape which could have led to some serious injuries. I was planning to have a trip to ladakh in a rental car. Thanks to you I got saved from grave danger. I was almost ready for my adventurous trip until I read this thread. I guess would postpone my trip till the issue settle down there.
Old 8th June 2016, 18:53   #542
BHPian

"Interestingly, the local SHO also owns 3 taxis, so it's in his interest not to allow self-drive rentals!"

and herein lies the grand fallacy, our law makers, law keepers & the observers (read socially connected) are always the early birds to every party so why should this be an exception & therefore twist, make, remake any restriction, imposition which suits their purpose to get by. And who is to object, the very system which has been installed to provide liberty & freedom is brazenly exploited & forced to kneel down so these self styled goons can get a piece of the action.

There never will be an action against this hooliganism & even if the courts give a verdict against these diseased rats, who will enforce it????

that is a million dollar question--- isn't it?
gurthvader is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2016, 14:09   #543
Senior - BHPian

Is there any latest news on this ? Its the Leh season, isnt it?

If there is any issue indeed, does it get restricted only to the self drive rentals, or even private white board registered cars arent safe?
Old 27th June 2016, 14:16   #544
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post

If there is any issue indeed, does it get restricted only to the self drive rentals, or even private white board registered cars arent safe?
I would still avoid recommending self drive rentals, or even private taxi's that are not from Leh for these circuits (Nubra, Pangong, etc.).
Private white board cars should not be a problem, but it is best to keep your ears to the ground (speak to other travellers, hotels, etc.) and be prepared to hire a local taxi worst comes worst.
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2016, 23:53   #545

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post

I recently went to Ladakh in my own car. There was no problem as such for private white board cars. Although, I saw numerous self drives to/from Leh but there wasn't even a single one en route Nubra valley or Pangong Tso circuit this time.

Also, on the way to Khardung la there's a temporary sort-of check-post just outside of Leh where some guys(probably belonging to the local taxi Union) check your RC and other papers. But, no police personnel were present there. Though I didn't find any similar posts on any other circuit, be it Pangong Tso/Chushul or Hanle/Nyoma.

Talked to some locals and got to know that there has been one incident with someone having a self drive this year so far.

So, self drives should totally be avoided I believe. As for private cars, if the vehicle is registered to one of the travellers or someone directly related then it should be fine.
Ironhide88 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2016, 10:17   #546
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhide88 View Post
Also, on the way to Khardung la there's a temporary sort-of check-post just outside of Leh where some guys(probably belonging to the local taxi Union) check your RC and other papers. But, no police personnel were present there.
It is setups like these which kind of make people lose faith in the law enforcement agencies. The taxi union (or any union) for that matter have no legal powers to check any vehicle documents. This is some form of "moral policing".
sachinpk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th June 2016, 10:54   #547
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhide88 View Post
Also, on the way to Khardung la there's a temporary sort-of check-post just outside of Leh where some guys(probably belonging to the local taxi Union) check your RC and other papers. But, no police personnel were present there.

As for private cars, if the vehicle is registered to one of the travellers or someone directly related then it should be fine.
This is so damn stupid. So basically I cant even borrow a friends/relatives car and go there by myself. It is necessary that atleast someone from the car owners family be in the car. Why dont they put a board saying that only people walking will be allowed to go through.
centaur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2016, 11:52   #548
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
It is setups like these which kind of make people lose faith in the law enforcement agencies. The taxi union (or any union) for that matter have no legal powers to check any vehicle documents. This is some form of "moral policing".
No, this is not moral policing. This is MAFIA. In many warzones and conflict ridden regions of the world, government control is minimal, and local mafias affiliated with warlords collect "taxes", impose "laws". You can see such things happening in Banana republics.
tsk1979 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th April 2017, 09:51   #549

Any latest news on this ongoing issue? I was planning a drive till Leh in July this year in a borrowed vehicle but got dicey after reading this thread.

Please share some latest news on this if anyone have.
Old 10th April 2017, 17:35   #550
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpuneet View Post
Any latest news on this ongoing issue? I was planning a drive till Leh in July this year in a borrowed vehicle but got dicey after reading this thread.

Please share some latest news on this if anyone have.
Hi dpuneet, I traveled to Leh in 2016 August and went through Manali to enter Leh as there was riots in Kashmir Valley. I was in my own car/white board and right through the journey into Leh nobody asked me anything about vehicle documents or didn't bother about ownership. Into Leh and around it, specifically towards Nubra and pangong, couple of places they actually ask for inner permit which is more like a self-declared form but nobody asked me whether the car I was mine or my relative's. Of course, it may be different with the self-driven rentals where the number plate is distinctively apart and the concerned and otherwise know that it is a rental car. In fact, during my drive to Nubra from Leh, I did not notice any self-driven rental car and even on my return to Leh from Pangong. So, it is very evident that everybody who is entering Leh know that there are a few restrictions as far as the self-driven rentals go. You, on the other hand my friend, need not worry about a owner-driven car even if it is in your relative/friend's name.

The locals are more friendly and peace-loving individuals, as I found out, and are more than ready to help a stranger when in need but in my humble opinion for a place that is totally dependent on tourists for their livelihoods and a place which is a mountain desert, we should have a practical approach for the problems than logical. Add to this, there is very little coming from the state government which is sandwiched between spending for the war-torn valley and and a lower revenue collection due to continuous conflict and lesser business means.
sumzup is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th April 2017, 18:25   #551
Senior - BHPian

Not directed at anyone; but being scared, always looking over my shoulder, being worried over my safety and that of my loved ones ... is not my idea of a holiday

Last edited by Urban_Nomad : 10th April 2017 at 18:38.
Urban_Nomad is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th May 2023, 10:34   #552
BHPian

Not sure if this is true but I saw a reel on Instagram stating that a similar thing had happened a couple of days ago where a bolero pick up and 15 other motorcycles were damaged which were from Manali.

Is anyone aware of this? Posting the link below of the reel

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CsjJ5...JiY2I4NDBkZg==

@mods - feel free to delete if this is irrelevant or a hoax.
Old 26th May 2023, 11:28   #553
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya.bhardwaj View Post
Not sure if this is true but I saw a reel on Instagram stating that a similar thing had happened a couple of days ago where a bolero pick up and 15 other motorcycles were damaged which were from Manali.

Is anyone aware of this? Posting the link below of the reel

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CsjJ5...JiY2I4NDBkZg==

@mods - feel free to delete if this is irrelevant or a hoax.
I think this was fight between bike unions. Pop up on my Twitter mentioned that one unions bikes came to the others turf. Eagle gang got their bikes and pickup trashed.
Old 9th June 2023, 21:52   #554
BHPian

I somehow stumbled upon this thread. I have a unique solution:

Put up a poster of Dalai Lama on your windshield and a peace message and drive sedate without intimidating any local taxi. Maybe it will help.

I don't want to get into the rights or wrongs. This solution is inspired from the days when a cine actor in Karnataka passed away and almost everyone put up his poster on the car to avoid being flagged down by hooligans and have their car smashed up. No smileys.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks