Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th July 2015, 23:38   #61
vdm
BHPian

This is just not acceptable. How can they attack a private vehicle like this? Tourism would be affected with this kind of act & the police being a mute spectator, is least wanted in this kind of situation. People would loose faith in our law & order situation. Lucky, Nobody was injured in this attacked. The taxi union do not understand that they would reduce their own business with this kind of attitude.
Old 17th July 2015, 23:45   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Car convoy attacked in Ladakh by taxi mafia!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwatiS View Post
But really a shame on Atithi Devo Bhava :(
Thanks for reminding! Our Aamir Khan was the brand ambassador for this. Tweeted it to him as well.

Please tag your tweets with #SayNoToLadakh.

Last edited by Dry Ice : 17th July 2015 at 23:47.
Old 17th July 2015, 23:50   #63

Really sad state of affairs. Last year we were almost run off the road by these juvenile and delinquent taxi drivers who were bent on hogging the road and caring two hoots for the safety of their own passengers forget about the other road users. They are charging exorbitant fees for their taxis therefore abuse the vehicles and drive at reckless speed. The policemen know about the malice but acknowledge their inability to do anything about it due to political complications. The same case is with Manali too.

But this violent incident really brings to the fore the point of boycotting the hills and teach a lesson to these arrogant people that they can't take the tourists for granted... Even one off season would send the message clearly to all the parties concerned - the tour operators, hoteliers and the taxi operators.

Its a really scary situation with young children accompanying most of us.

I would request that the pictures be released to the media and that the story needs to be highlighted to prevent such a future misfortune from occurring again.

Mod Note : Please avoid typing with excessive dots.........like................this.

Thanks

Last edited by Aditya : 18th July 2015 at 08:23. Reason: Excessive dots in post. Check mod note.
sukiratsingh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2015, 23:51   #64
BHPian

This is appalling to say the least. I'm horrified by the experiences you had to go through. It reminds me of the Top Gear convoy getting attacked in Argentina.

Times are changing and businesses like these need to adapt. Its almost like Nokia enforcing a ban on iPhone in a country. Times change, people move on to more appealing things. Doesn't mean Apple is the devil here. Nokia in the first place was too slow to adapt, and hence was eliminated. Its survival of the fittest in play.

Yes, self drives are robbing the Taxi operators of their business. But forcing people to adapt for you is stupid, and naïve. These people need to adapt to the changing trends, not violently try to enforce things the way they want them. They should start offering self drive rentals themselves. This way, people can simply land there, and self rent a car if they want to and continue. I am sure there are many people who don't want to drive themselves and will take a taxi anyway.

By doing what they are doing, not only will they jeopardise their own business. They will jeopardise businesses of thousands of people.

Bunch of idiots.
prakhar1998 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2015, 23:54   #65
Distinguished - BHPian

By the way, this played out exactly like when tg got kicked out of Argentina. It was harrowing to watch those guys going through that. It's even worse to imagine going through this with ones own countrymen.

Psosted the link to the thread on the fb pages of a couple of taxi service people in ladakh. One guy seems genuinely concerned. Or maybe feigning ignorance?
Old 18th July 2015, 02:11   #66
BHPian

What rubbish is this? We have faced some issues with the taxi 'mafia' in Goa, when we visit there, but nothing of this magnitude. I'm sure there are people on TBhp who have the political clout to get the powers that be to see this thread, ascertain the facts and make the changes so that tourists are not at the mercy of this hooliganism.
Anghammarad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2015, 03:21   #67
BHPian

ITBP in most border areas are very unhelpful, generally arrogant. My experience with ITBP on most occasions traveling through these parts have been largely negative! Dont expect them to be of much help anywhere!

In 2012, my parked motorcycle was unnecessarily knocked over by a seemingly inebriated taxi driver and his friends who backed up his taxi 3 car lengths straight into my motorcycle when he could have just driven ahead straight and onto the road. His argument was, bike giraya toh kya hua? Tu hai kon chillane wala? Bike kharab hua toh fix karale! (So what if I hit your bike and it fell down? Who are you to shout at us. Go fix your bike if its broken) Fortunately, the saddlebags took the weight and my R15 didn't suffer any extensive damage. But just imagine, the nearest SVC was 700kms away. If something important broke then I would have had to rely on the same people to get my ride back to Leh and then to Mandi for repairs!

Ended up in a verbal altercation that almost led to a fight! But when this happened, I was having some chai with some army guys waiting for their bus and chatting with some tourists at the Dhaba at Khalsar, Nubra Valley. The Army guys got involved and threatened the idiots very firmly to leave the place before things escalated. Those 4 guys left as they were soon surrounded by a group of more than 10 yelling at them to buzz off or get a good trashing! That was my first hand experience but I've had other unpleasant dealings with the Taxi walas as recent as last year in October and so have my friends in the past.

I've been making trips to Ladakh each year for the past 3 years and in all likelihood make my 4th consecutive trip this year but I will visit in the off-season month to enjoy a peaceful ride there. I have observed the nature of these Taxi guys first hand. I suspect, it will get worse because of the way local administration is dealing with this.

J&K as much as we consider it to be a part of India, the situation there is proof that the locals consider it otherwise!

Last edited by KwokFist : 18th July 2015 at 03:30.
KwokFist is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th July 2015, 08:16   #68
J.Ravi

During our visit to Leh in September 2011, we were discouraged by the hotel management to drive to Nubra valley by our erstwhile Linea. They 'suggested' going by taxi! But, I vetoed it and drove in Linea upto Khardung La and came back. The details are here.

In Sikkim, one will have to apply for inner-line permit [ILP] from the police through any 'approved' travel agent. The travel agents usually insist on cab+ILP. Visitors cannot apply for ILP directly. I paid ₹ 500 for arranging ILP for the old silk route for driving in our own XUV 500.

In Dirang and Tawang, Arunachal Pradesh, we were denied accommodation in good hotels recommended by tripadvisor.in although many were empty as the travel agents, cabbies and hotel owners form a cartel and block the accommodation.

Cartels of the vested interests exist in the Himalayan region in different ways and degrees. But, this aggressive taking law - along with stones, sticks and rods - into own hands by the cabbies in Ladakh is the icing on the cake, which will adversely affect the tourism and local economy.
  (8) Thanks
Old 18th July 2015, 08:53   #69
Distinguished - BHPian

Okay there appears to be another side of the story. As per some inputs from one who was part of convoy there was a "bandh" announced for July 11 & 12th. SO the incident was probably not related to just taxi union.

Though why should bandh's be allowed to disrupt common mans life is itself a matter of concern but this is widespread and prevalent behavior across the country.
sudev is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2015, 09:43   #70
BHPian

This is outright outrageous. Now, there are many like me who would have jotted Ladakh in their top ten destinations to visit.
Not anymore. witnessing the contempt from these guys , one should buy/rent a Marauder to visit Ladakh!
Old 18th July 2015, 09:55   #71
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashnd View Post
  • The police stressed on the fact that the IPC did not apply in Ladakh and they followed RPC (Ranbir Penal Code). They threatened our group that they had the power under RPC to arrest them if they wanted. They only accepted a 'general' FIR- essentially a written statement from us. They further warned that for a 'proper' FIR they would impound the vehicles involved and then it would be a matter of court dates and releasing the vehicles on 'superdari'.
Pardon my ignorance but what is this Ranbir Penal Code?
Quote:
The mob spared no-one. Two Thars in our convoy were driven by ladies, and both vehicles were attacked by iron rods(...)
We have brought with us the stone that smashed our Fortuner's rear window, it landed inches from my aged mother on the rear seat behind the driver. I will share a picture of this.
Sad. I had formed such a positive impression in my mind about Ladakhis as a gentle forebearing people. This incident has comepletely changed this. Don't think I will be going back.
noopster is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th July 2015, 10:09   #72
BHPian

My humble requests to all readers. In addition to expressing outrage over this lets also leverage our network. For those who know people in the media, please use your contacts now. Let's make Indian tourism safe for everyone. This sad state of affairs cannot and should not continue. I am only imagine the trauma the folks in the convoy went through. Today it's them, tomorrow it could be us.
joshiviv is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th July 2015, 10:19   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Okay there appears to be another side of the story. As per some inputs from one who was part of convoy there was a "bandh" announced for July 11 & 12th. SO the incident was probably not related to just taxi union.
Even if it was due to 'bandh' and can be counted just as an one off indecent, can their acts against self driven rental cars be accepted?

Their attacks on self driven rental cars have been in news in last one month. We shouldn't have accepted those acts in first place. This taxi mafia thing is not new in that region. Taxi people and responsible authorities in Manali have been infamous since long time for their unethical practices. Though violent attacks are new things.

Now they got motivated heavily and it is bound to happen that they will not accept the private cars as well. They can go to any extent to stop any vehicular activity other than their own taxis in that region.

I am smelling much worst if their acts are not stopped with immediate affect.

Another Srinagar is in making. Tourism in Srinagar got affected due to outsourced terrorism, Laddakh will be affected due to local terrorists who are much more dangerous IMO since they are not criminals in the eyes of law. They have support of local authorities as well which makes things much worst.
tbppjpr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2015, 10:29   #74
BHPian

This is once scary story. I shudder to think about your plight and glad you escaped unhurt. This is one of the reasons which sometimes make me ashamed of my Indian-ness. The utter hooliganism, lack of concern for the others and the sheer audacity of the policemen to resist from registering an FIR is just not done. I hope this story is highlighted and tourists are advised against traveling to this part of India. Its a shameful act; one that should be tackled seriously but may be buried under the weight of the so-called taxi Mafia.
Old 18th July 2015, 10:39   #75
BHPian

This is no different from any of the other "tourist traps" in our country, Ooty and Goa are no different. The travel agents, hotels and taxis form a cartel and do not let anybody in.a

Next time I am taking a ST bus.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks