Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2019, 19:15   #106
BHPian

Re: Drive without borders vs State of Jammu & Kashmir

Hope there is some impact of today's legislation that benefits common folks like us wanting to drive peacefully in Leh, Ladak & J&K.
What my simple mind could understand was all rules regulations of India would apply now in these regions also , not the Ranbir Penal Code
So such damages to private vehicle owners should enable the Police to book & jail the culprits.
Let us hope so.
Old 7th August 2019, 19:00   #107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goswami.j View Post
Hope there is some impact of today's legislation that benefits common folks like us wanting to drive peacefully in Leh, Ladak & J&K.
What my simple mind could understand was all rules regulations of India would apply now in these regions also , not the Ranbir Penal Code
So such damages to private vehicle owners should enable the Police to book & jail the culprits.
Let us hope so.
I hope the situation will drastically change in our favour and these hooligans will be brought to book.

Waseem.
SILVERWOOD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2019, 20:30   #108
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goswami.j View Post
Let us hope so.
It will. And since the police force will be centrally managed, god help these thugs...
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2019, 10:18   #109
Senior - BHPian

I don't know if anyone's seen this:

but such stories should be widely disseminated.

With the revised Motor Vehicle Act also in view, there is just no excuse for this kind of lawless thuggery on the part of (ultimately self-defeating) trade unionists.

With 370 gone, things are in the midst of transition there I suppose, but Ladakhis have thought from long before there were cars/roads that they had the right to control and benefit from everything that came in/out of Leh... historically that is how they became affluent, and at some level it is understandable.

At another level, this sort of behavior on their part is in the modern context not only illegal, it is detestable and distinctly un-Indian. They should understand that there is a price to be paid for this kind of attitude.

I wonder if a general Indian boycott of their rental industry would work... Every Leh-bound Indian agrees to either ride their own bike or not go to Leh at all. This along with pressure on the Center to apply Indian law there just as it is applied elsewhere. AFAIK nowhere in the law is is supposed that any citizens would have any right to control / tax / limit access to any part of any publicly-funded road. It is ludicrous.

Consider this: What if at the Leh gate all tourist cars were stopped and passengers were asked to go into a changing room, where they could purchase and change into new clothing sourced from local Ladakhis? What if union thugs required all "outside" mineral water bottles to be emptied at the gate and fresh ones re-purchased from Ladakhi shops? What if remaining diesel/petrol in vehicle tanks were confiscated and all outside vehicles directed to the Ladakhi-owned petrol pump? What if a receipt had to be shown to unionists showing that your camera memory-card had been purchased in Leh (as in, you have no right to "capture" scenes from OUR place in any way besides what we prescribe!)? I mean, all this sounds far-fetched / ridiculous but it is absolutely no different in terms of fundamental essence (or illegality) than what bikers are dealing with right now on National, Public roads in the (Indian!) region of Ladakh.

This is one of those few times that if common sense and reason won't convince, then a heavy hand would be helpful... it's not as though Ladakhis are going to go over to China (there is little love between them).

-Eric
ringoism is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2020, 09:53   #110
BHPian

I'm planning a 10 day trip to Jammu and Kashmir during upcoming Diwali holidays. But there are certain things I'm not sure about as mentioned below:

1. Is there a lockdown in place in J&K or not ? News websites are not helpful since there's no update on lockdown news since 8th October.

2. Are we allowed to drive our car from Punjab to Kashmir valley now ? Again, news websites mention that we are not allowed to travel as tourists upto 8th October but there are no directions post 8th October. I queried a few hotels by calling them and they mentioned 2 different versions:
- Patnitop hotel mentioned that I'll have to fill up a details form at Punjab-J&K border check point and that's about it.
- Srinagar hotel mentioned that if someone asks, I shall tell anyone asking in Kashmir valley that I'm coming from Jammu and it will be fine. I told then again that I'm coming from Punjab and not Jammu and he mentioned you just say so sir and everything will be fine. Super weird advice IMO !
Note: My car has Punjab registration plates, so don't know what he's trying to convey.

3. Patnitop hotel mentioned that Covid-19 negative report is mandatory for tourists coming from Delhi and is not required for tourists coming from Punjab. Again, weird advice! I couldn't find any official announcement related to Covid negative test report post 8th October.

4. How is the road infrastructure in general in Kashmir. I'm going to visit the valley after 13 years, so asking.

5. I'm in dilemma whether to cover 425 km between my current location and Srinagar in one go(12 hours drive) or have one night stay in between at Patnitop. Also, are there any restrictions on highway and tunnels timings better Jammu and Srinagar?

Valuable inputs with regards to above points from members will be appreciated.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks