Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd July 2015, 14:13   #1
Team-BHP Support

Ladakh Taxi Mafia now wants to completely ban outside vehicles (including private cars)

ALERT. Those of you who plan to drive to Ladakh, please exercise caution. Taxi Mafia held a complete Bandh. Their demand is to ban all vehicles(Private or otherwise) from tourism circuit. IT was a one day bandh, but there is danger of violence and damage to your private vehicles if you go to Ladakh

So please exercise caution before deciding to visit Ladakh
Ladakh Taxi Mafia now wants to completely ban outside vehicles (including private cars)-1.jpg

Last edited by tsk1979 : 24th July 2015 at 15:09.
tsk1979 is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2015, 14:49   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Ladakh Taxi Mafia now wants to completely ban outside vehicles (including private cars)

This is peak tourist season. If restaurants and food houses are closed, are tourists supposed to survive on biscuit packets ?

Road infrastructure has improved tremendously in recent times, allowing even small cars to cover Ladakh easily, thereby affecting the taxi business. The ban on private vehicles isn't therefore surprising.
sdp1975 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2015, 14:50   #3
Team-BHP Support

re: Ladakh Taxi Mafia now wants to completely ban outside vehicles (including private cars)

Looks like the taxi chaps in Leh are going to learn the hard way. People will actually be discouraged from visiting with all this. When there are barely any tourists left who visit Leh, maybe then they will realize.
Akshay1234 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2015, 14:51   #4
BHPian

I am sure there will be decline in tourism and the authorities will repent the knee jerk action soon.
Old 23rd July 2015, 15:00   #5
Senior - BHPian

This is ridiculous. First self drives, and now private vehicles! Tourism is sure to be hit if the mafia continues these antics. Let them learn the hard way, when tourists stop patronizing the place.

Sad to see such a wonderful place going to the dogs. I was planning to visit (not by car), but may decide to shelve the plans. Even though I am unlikely to be affected by the the ban, I do not want to go to a place where tourists are unwelcome. It pains me to shelve such a wonderful place from my "must visit" list :( Should have visited earlier, when things were calmer.
AkMar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2015, 15:03   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Lovely!!

So this place is finally finished.
I'm sure it'll take some time for the carcasses of the cabs to fade/rust away, but Leh/Ladakh is on its way again to be a pristine, uninhabited, unventured, wild wonder.
mayankk is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2015, 15:15   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

I feel that they are gaining confidence after the local administration is giving in to each of their demands. Now they are trying to rule the roads. They might even declare inflated rates (over the already inflated ones) and people will be left with no choice but to foot the line. And sadly, not everyone is internet-savvy/aware to do these ground-level reality checks before embarking on a trip. So, the mafia will continue to get business (reduced to an extent).

This, IMO, is OPEN EXTORTION.
Old 23rd July 2015, 15:19   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Not really surprising since the local administration chooses to be a mute spectator. Having gotten away with banning taxis, self drive cabs, rented bikes from other parts of the country the Union is taking the next logical step - banning personal vehicles. Well done.
Dry Ice is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2015, 15:19   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
Road infrastructure has improved tremendously in recent times, allowing even small cars to cover Ladakh easily, thereby affecting the taxi business. The ban on private vehicles isn't therefore surprising.
I beg to differ.
Yes, road conditions have improved meaning more people are planning of driving to Leh. Else too, Leh has emerged as a popular tourist location and in general people are traveling more.

Now, both that means more tourists in Leh and NOT that it is causing dent in taxi business.

In an earlier scenario, when roads were not good and less people were driving down to Leh. Most tourist may be reaching there in flight. Infact, now the flight numbers to Leh has increased, they are not flying with empty seats.

As per me, this is just a case of greed.
mpksuhas is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2015, 15:25   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Finally, its time to say goodbye to Ladakh! I am fortunate to have travelled to Ladakh thrice when things were good, when the locals had not tasted easy money.

Even if the court/government/administration intervenes now and tries to settle things down, the feeling of security this place enjoyed may never come back. The taxi mafia has tasted blood now, they might never sit idle. They being locals and in a union they can do a lot to ruin your holiday even when the situation turns normal.

And when they talk about saving environment, are they doing the same by using 10-15 year old ill maintained cabs? The Sumo's and Qualis they charge 10k a day for, may not be worth 10 days earnings on their present value.
.anshuman is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2015, 15:31   #11
Senior - BHPian

"Nailing your own coffin" is what comes to mind after going through the antics of LADAKH TAXI UNION.

Thought of grouping all the ongoing threads on the LADAKH TAXI UNION issue here:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...axi-mafia.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...e-rentals.html

Regards-Sonu
Old 23rd July 2015, 16:04   #12
BHPian

The people of Ladakh have seriously lost it. Whatever little support they had among travelers towards their cause will be lost with the issual of statements like these.
Old 23rd July 2015, 17:23   #13
BHPian

Re: Ladakh Taxi Mafia now wants to completely ban outside vehicles (including private cars)

Actually, I had a soft corner for them when they banned Self-drive rentals. I partially thought that their livelihood was at jeopardy and stuff. But this is pure greed. How are the Hotel owners and restaurant business people taking this? Surely they too must have some clout.

The primary charm of that place was the drive along mystical mountains. I do not want to be at the mercy of some driver in an rickety old vehicle trying to enjoy the scenery. Everyone here and a fair portion of the people who go to Leh are the people who enjoy tranquility and the rush that a drive amongst these hills provide. Now, we have lost both. And the people who travel to that place by other means will lose their peace when they pay a small fortune to these greedy goons.

This rioting thing that they are so fashionably wielding is not going to stop here. I was rightly pointed out by a member in my previous comment in the other thread about self-drive rentals' attack regarding the money these people make. Now it is around Rs. 7K or 8K to the lake and back for a trip that costs Rs. 3K (diesel alone) by the most liberal estimate. Imagine what the price will be when these greedy people become kings after driving out self-drivers and rentals. If this continues, Leh will once again become the remote, unknown place it once was.

Let them rot.
r.praveen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2015, 17:46   #14
BHPian

Re: Ladakh Taxi Mafia now wants to completely ban outside vehicles (including private cars)

No motorcycle rentals - Check
No trekking - Check
No outside taxis - Check
No self-drives - Check
No private vehicles - Check

What next
No walking?

And then..
No business
No living

Intelligent arent they!?

Last edited by Rocky_Balboa : 23rd July 2015 at 17:48.
Rocky_Balboa is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2015, 17:53   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Why not a quid-pro-quo - stop Ladakh vehicles from exiting it? Although that will require the support of other administrations, and is something unlikely to be granted.

Also, does this ban extend to the trucks that bring in provisions to Ladakh?
arunphilip is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks