Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th August 2015, 15:08   #1
Senior - BHPian

Bangalore Traffic Police declares next target - Blinking LEDs

Bangalore traffic police is planning a drive to catch the people who use blinking LEDs. While this is a commendable move (the blinking lights are really an irritation at night) I hope they will not be charging those who have mounted Auxiliary lights, but not using them inside city.

Quote:
Traffic officials plan on drive to arrest motorists with flashy lights to maintain safe roads.

As a part of the drive to keep drag racers and wheelie bikers off the city roads, officials will soon be conducting a special drive to punish motorists with flashy LED and neon lights since they are known to cause accidents and hamper commuter vision. A traffic sub-inspector said, "When the light is flashy, we cannot see registration numbers and motorists take advantage of such lights to perform stunts and violate traffic rules."
Full Article - http://www.bangaloremirror.com/banga...w/48517987.cms

--Anoop
theexperthand is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 19th August 2015, 15:44   #2
BHPian

re: Bangalore Traffic Police declares next target - Blinking LEDs

May I suggest that all unapproved additional lighting be declared illegal.

I see some really stupid people with green LED lights on the front of their vehicle, some even red, these are not tiny LEDs, but large displays. Blue lights on blinkers, you name it. The other day I saw a Jeep with such bright lights, it was a nuisance even when there was sufficient daylight (around 5 PM), while I wondered if the owner had any sense or sensibility, I was not surprised to find that the registration numbers were deliberately tiny - an indication that the culprit knew he was doing something illegal.

The collective IQ of the City as far as driving safely is concerned is close to nil and this calls for more active policing.
mvadg is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th August 2015, 15:57   #3
Senior - BHPian

What blinking lights are they talking of here?
The LED OEM indicators of premium cars are pretty bright, are they going to crack down on them as well?
Old 19th August 2015, 16:00   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
What blinking lights are they talking of here?
The LED OEM indicators of premium cars are pretty bright, are they going to crack down on them as well?
These are aftermarket flashing lights in red, blue colours mimicking emergency service vehicles.
Very good move by BTP.
speedmiester is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th August 2015, 16:12   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
These are aftermarket flashing lights in red, blue colours mimicking emergency service vehicles.
Very good move by BTP.
And probably those fit inducing flickering reverse-lights-used-as-brake-light on those maxicabs. And those red and blue flickering on the fronts and back of high-beamed indicas.

Hopefully they do.
Sojogator is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2015, 16:27   #6
BHPian

These blinking LED lights are often fitted on auto rickshaws.Colours may vary from red,white,green and blue.It is difficult to drive, even if one of these happen to be riding behind your car in the night,forget about driving,when it is oncoming. It would be nice if these type of blinking lights are removed.I support that as red and blue lights on any car is illegal,other than for those used in law enforcement or emergency vehicles.
Now,the fun part. RTO sleuths will start removing/fining you for all LED/DRL fittings in your vehicle.
Any law in these guys hands are like a flower garland in the hands of a monkey.They know how to misuse it, to the core.Bangalore RTO needs to be given award for the "swiftness and commitment",they show for these type of law enforcements.

Last edited by commonman : 19th August 2015 at 16:28.
commonman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2015, 16:47   #7
BHPian

Law enforcement in the right direction is always welcome. In the current scheme of things apart from "blinking lights, super bikes, non KA vehicles" there are many other things that needs to be set right. If BTP can focus their attention on them, it can be considered as a job well done.

Most of these are politically motivated or directive's of some bird-brained character! Let's see how much of such gimmicks are there in the pipeline
Old 19th August 2015, 16:54   #8
Team-BHP Support

I feel this is a great move, these lights are quite irritating period.

Even the ones on taxi cabs where they wire the indicator and reverse lights. Yes they might think it would catch attention from the person tailing during their night drives. But fact is it is a distraction. Even people who use the rear fog light function while driving in normal night conditions should be made aware that it is actually blinding the traffic behind.

Only contention is generalizing everyone with an LED or Neon light to be racers lol
Jaggu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2015, 17:04   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

I guess the drive is against the LED's on number-plates and not the brake-light flashing LED's.
Also, personally I feel brake-light flashing lights (not sure what they are called); the triangle lights which are seen in many vehicles now-days are NOT a irritant as such. The way I see it, at least people are taking care of brake lights, now that it is a fashion statement.
I guess the new M&M Scorpio even has this as a 'feature', in the OEM brake lights.

Coming to flashy lights, yes it is an irritant. But that is not just the LED's, just take a look at cabs on ORR any night and majority of them will have additional lights fitted. I been seeing these drives by Bangalore traffic police long enough to believe that they are not going to touch any of those. They will just go and fine few bikers and private cars at junction which may have additional LED's installed.

In that drive, there is a very good chance that those with OEM LED's (Ahh, my XUV) will also be fined.

Remember the case when BTP fined VW cars saying their factory fitted horns were shrill (This was when there was a drive against shrill / air horns).

I guess couple of years back, in Kerala there was a huge publicity against similar drive when an actors BMW(?) was fined for driving with headlight ON in day time. Actor's plea that they were DRL's didn't hold good against the very motivated policeman.

Instead or all these, or along with all these. I hope BTP sometime finds time to catch all those maniac tanker drives, one-way violators or suicidal private bus drivers.
mpksuhas is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th August 2015, 17:38   #10
Senior - BHPian

Good move. The F1 type lights that everyone is using now are pretty irritating. Also hope they would come down I. Altered tail lights. I have seen a lot of cars that have white light for the indicators. This is dangerous.
Hope they also get rid of the reverse sirens.
Old 19th August 2015, 17:58   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Due to this, the Center of Innovation division of Cabbie Association in Bengaluru is now recruiting grads who can come up with anything jazzier than colorful LED lights in place of the OEM brake lights and much more
  • With curtains closed if you notice dear TTs they still manage the show with just the LEDs for which they are ready to spend 100 times in 200 hours (as they keep fusing out)

• The live a colorful life - Blue for parking lights, Green for Brake and Pink for tail lamps!

• They do wind up a hard day in their convertible where the tail lamp cluster becomes flashing disco light

• F1 Style triangular lights are passe', they are ahead of times and think Technology - Make way for Blue on left and red on right LED cluster fixed at the bottom most end of the bumpers or on the license plates

• The USP of their cabs is directly proportional to the No of LEDs installed

• If the Brake and Tail lamps are non functional - It fetches more value as the battery is supposedly unused as per Cabbie assessment officer

• Reverse lamps lighting up during braking - Classic case of a cabbie who is not just smart but a master at business who wants to say "Stay away from me"

• Well, the bulbs which are supposed to illuminate the area of licence plate now tell you - I Love you, Catch me if you can, I am lonely, Crazee Baaays pasted here using reflective vinyl stickers

• State of the Art in-cabin experience - You name the color and they have it inside - The most novel colors you can derive out of RGB combination. You don't have to rely on facebook to change you DP to a colorful one. Just sit inside such a cab and take a selfie and fake it that you have checked-in into a jazzy disc

• Finally when they suffer breakdown in the middle of the flyover on the fastest lane - They think Green. They run to the nearest tree, cut a twig and hang that on one of the doors only because their Hazard lights are not working

On a Serious note, I welcome this move. Its been 5.5 years now that I return home at 9pm or little later and have been the sole spectator of all the innovation that is happening in the field of LED lights. Every signal of the 17 that I pass one way I start headbanging or jumping on my driver's seat as the Color and rhythm of these LEDs almost every time match the Tempo of the music that I am playing inside my car and another cabbie behind me reminds me that the light had turned green by honking 12 seconds before the light has actually turned green.

Dear Bangalore Police - Crack down on them please. Bring them to task! Each one of these are always on High Beams on every darn road inside the city you can think of, no matter how well lit few of them can be. They are painful from whatever angle you can think of - Right from the Hood all the way till the tail.

City lights is not a movie - Its a revolution. A cabbie revolving around the city with these LED lights.
paragsachania is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th August 2015, 09:59   #12
BHPian

Probably the first useful thing Bangalore Traffic Police would do! These epilepsy inducing flashy lights are such a nuisance, especially at night, not to mention the fact that they don't serve ANY purpose at all.
Old 20th August 2015, 10:25   #13
Senior - BHPian

This is actually a good move. I hate those bright LEDs fitted on both sides of the rear wheel of many motor cycles. All such additional lights should be banned.
Old 20th August 2015, 10:35   #14
BHPian

Why only cabbies ? I have seen those blinking red and blue leds on private owned cars as well. Last week near my place , I saw a matt balck polo with dark tints and these red-blue leds blinking on the front number plate.The car looked straight out of NFS game. It is easy for anyone to mistake it for a police or an emergency vehicle lights (especially for an untrained eye when looked through the rear view mirror). Worst of all , it had team bhp stickers all over it.
Old 20th August 2015, 14:48   #15
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Bangalore Traffic Police declares next target - Blinking LEDs

Mod Note: Thread moved to street experiences. Thanks for sharing this news!
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks