Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th August 2015, 19:16   #61
BHPian

re: Rash driving case fabricated against me by Pune Police & RTO *UPDATE: declared Not Guilty!*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster_chd View Post
It is so in Chandigarh. All the outstation motorists are challaned and fines are collected on the spot. But there is a catch. As you are not aware of how much amount the particular traffic violation you made attracts, the cops will scare you enough to make you shell whatever amount they want from you. They will find faults and will keep on multiplying the amount, in the end you will crumble to the pressure and pay them the amount they asked for.
Unfortunately, this has never been informed to me by chandigarh cops in the half a dozen or so times they have stopped me and I have always had to bribe my way out of the predicament. They always come up with new and scary tactics to make you shell out money. They will conjure up fines in the thousands and terrify you with the prospect of having to make several visits to the courts and ultimately you have to shell out a few hundred to get away. I don't want to be challaned a couple of hundred kilometers from by home and spend several days visiting courts so its much easier to pay up rather than argue. My friend had a bihar licence and cops told him once that this sort of licence is not valid in chandigarh. They have special affinity towards out of state vehicles which are routinely targeted by them

Last edited by bullrun87 : 28th August 2015 at 19:26.
Old 23rd September 2015, 09:17   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuntfreak View Post
Dear TeamBhp Members,

This is not a complaint story, but indeed a warning to all of you to take further precautions, so that what happened to me, should not happen to you.

He filed a case under section 279......
All junctions have CCTV Camera...... Extremely scared.....Pay Rs. 5,000,.....I would have to spend two nights in Jail after........I would not like to disclose any names here for my own safety. After all this, my desire to fight against the wrong, has died.

Any updates?

Has the issue been resolved?

Please do let us know.
Old 24th September 2015, 01:23   #63
BHPian

re: Rash driving case fabricated against me by Pune Police & RTO *UPDATE: declared Not Guilty!*

Quote:
Originally Posted by renegade004 View Post
The citizen seemingly has little recourse in cases like this and the easiest way out probably is to just pay the bribe demanded and be done with it. I have paid bribes to the traffic police multiple times, even when I was not sure whether I had violated any rules, just to avoid the hassle of taking time off work to go and appear in a court of law.

However, more recently, I have noticed that traffic police departments in many cities have come up with social media presence. Perhaps it would be a good idea to try and shame them in such a forum to force them to act against corrupt officials, especially if there is proof such as CCTV footage.
Renegade.
Hi
Read a few posts and found the thread very interesting.
Sad truth about India that the harassment never ends.
A point the the judge is totally uninterested in wasting his time. The moment you argue the fine goes up.
Unfortunately the victims are victimised.
A rhetoric question. How do you shame the shameless?
Regards
Old 27th October 2015, 10:03   #64
BHPian

Latest update:

I was called on Monday by the police. They said come to the police station, it's just a 2 hour process, to go to the court and pay the fine. I went at 11am, Monday. I was sent to the court (also had my lawyer with me).

The required judge was not there, hence the case was to be handled by another court. After waiting for 4-5 hours without water, the court granted me 4 days to present a legit person to grant bail! And I now have a criminal case on me. Under section 279.

My options are:

1. Accept i drove rashly and either go to jail for 6 months or/ and pay a cash fine.
Also this means having this on my record.

2. Not accept it was my fault and fight the case for god knows how long.

3. Convert the person bail to cash bail and then have it forfeit by not attending. Then hoping the case would be automatically dropped and hope no warrant is raised against me.

Can anyone please help me on this??

Hemank
stuntfreak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2015, 10:22   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happysmiles View Post
Any updates?
Has the issue been resolved?
Please do let us know.

Not as of yet. Still need to figure out a way to get the case off me first. Any law expert person will be of help. I have only 24 hours left to go to court.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritz3645 View Post
Dear stuntfreak,
My 2 cents:
http://www.wiaaindia.com/home
Western India Automobile Association is in Pune, get a membership and try to speak to those guys of your case. Mr Nitin Dossa is the Top person there.
For appeal to RTO cases http://mahatranscom.in/appeal.aspx
Indian system works but it takes time.
'' Satya pareshan ho sakta hai, parajeet nahi '' .
Truth might get humiliated, but it cannot be defeated.
It is of no use since now the case have gone to the court of law.

Last edited by ampere : 29th October 2015 at 20:35. Reason: Formatted quoted post
Old 27th October 2015, 12:30   #66
BHPian

IF you do decide to plead guilty, I highly doubt they'll put you through Jail at all.

IMO Convert the person bail to cash bail, but do attend court the first few times so the cops can't say later that you didn't co-operate. Then on, provide medical certificates saying you aren't well.

You seem like a young guy, having it on your record will affect your career in more ways than you can imagine, try to fight it out.

Given my age I can say, don't take anything to heart, a dog bit you & turns out it was rabid, the phase will pass if you get it treated well.
WorkingGuru is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 27th October 2015, 13:07   #67
BHPian

Hey, thanks a lot for the advice. I am going to the court tomorrow. The clark and my lawyer said that they will convert the bail to Cash bail. So correct me if i'm wrong. This means that If due to whatsoever reason I do not attend the hearing, the court of law takes the cash amount, and does NOT Arrest me. However, I plan to attend the sessions and refuse to accept that it's my mistake since it sincerely wasnt. The CCTV Footage if taken will definately be helpful for me as it clearly shows the truth, that I was standstill, before the stop line, while all this happened. I hope the court asks the police to present the CCTV Footage.

Also I found out the when the Police / State files a Rash driving case, they need to provide Skid marks authenticated with the car's tyres (And My tyres arent common )

They need to provide proof of excess over speeding. The road does not have any speed limit boards, and neither do they have any speed guns to provide this evidence. Plus I wasnt Fast before I stopped as it was Rush hours!

So I've decided not to plead guilty, and make the police present evidence of my Rash driving!... I need all your support guys! Anyone with excellent lawyers and / or high connections in all of this, please email me on hemank@dabhade.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkingGuru View Post
IF you do decide to plead guilty, I highly doubt they'll put you through Jail at all.

IMO Convert the person bail to cash bail, but do attend court the first few times so the cops can't say later that you didn't co-operate. Then on, provide medical certificates saying you aren't well.

You seem like a young guy, having it on your record will affect your career in more ways than you can imagine, try to fight it out.

Given my age I can say, don't take anything to heart, a dog bit you & turns out it was rabid, the phase will pass if you get it treated well.
stuntfreak is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 29th October 2015, 16:35   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullrun87 View Post
Unfortunately, this has never been informed to me by chandigarh cops in the half a dozen or so times they have stopped me and I have always had to bribe my way out of the predicament. They always come up with new and scary tactics to make you shell out money. They will conjure up fines in the thousands and terrify you with the prospect of having to make several visits to the courts and ultimately you have to shell out a few hundred to get away. I don't want to be challaned a couple of hundred kilometers from by home and spend several days visiting courts so its much easier to pay up rather than argue. My friend had a bihar licence and cops told him once that this sort of licence is not valid in chandigarh. They have special affinity towards out of state vehicles which are routinely targeted by them
Here's what to do in Chandigarh. We had a session on women safety while I was working with IBM, about two years ago and SSP Naunihal Singh very clearly stated that if you are being harassed or victimized by the traffic cops, feel free to dial 100 immediately and register a complaint. I am currently in New Delhi and would not and do not hesitate to follow this rule, anywhere in the country. If you feel threatened or harassed, or wrongly convicted, simply call 100 and register a complaint. As per the law, they are bound to document the complaint and send a PCR van to assess the situation. Do not give up!

I feel in the OP's situation, first of all, ask your wife to file a FIR for harassment and wrong conviction by the lady constable and let that investigation go on for sometime and see how it pans out. I repeat, do not give up. Call a few media houses and narrate the incident, be willing to spend some money and hire some good lawyers and make sure that the traffic police officers involved are penalized. Maybe also get a friend to do a sting operation with the same cops at the same junction involving bribe. Be strong and persistent!

There's no rule or law that states cops don't lie. Stress on the truth that the cop is lying and I am sure their reputation will precede that fact. Get that lady constable suspended and then seek compensation for harassment.

Talk to higher police officials, write to top cops, law and media firms. Highlight this issue and let it spread. If that stupid FB incident in NCR can make news, this is something every citizen suffers through, every day. I am sure you will get the required support. I hope you don't have any previous case registered against you.

Last edited by zzzehar : 29th October 2015 at 16:38.
zzzehar is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 29th October 2015, 19:31   #69
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzehar View Post
Do not give up!

Talk to higher police officials, write to top cops, law and media firms. Highlight this issue and let it spread. If that stupid FB incident in NCR can make news, this is something every citizen suffers through, every day. I am sure you will get the required support. I hope you don't have any previous case registered against you.
Great words of advise and inspiration
I recently spoke to a friend who narrated couple of incidents where he and his father were on the receiving end and the way he got justice was by writing emails to the Prime Minister and President and yes it worked!
Although not related to cops, the action taken was in a matter of hours and things were set right. So, just wanted to stress on 2 points - don't give up, reach out to the highest levels without holding yourself back.

Last edited by NPV : 29th October 2015 at 19:32.
Old 31st October 2015, 10:22   #70
BHPian

Latest update. Appeared in court on Wednesday and Friday again.

Presented bail on Wednesday. And attendance on Friday.

Judge looked at the charge sheet and mumbled 'aaz kal police jastich traas dyayla lagle aahet vatta '

Case in 2 months.
Old 31st October 2015, 11:42   #71
Senior - BHPian

Hoping you will come out of this victorious friend. I believe the Police have a lot to prove rash driving and not sure if Judges will have the same state of mind as the Police.

Best wishes.
Old 31st October 2015, 16:30   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
'aaz kal police jastich traas dyayla lagle aahet vatta '

Case in 2 months.
er translation of that would be appreciated
Old 31st October 2015, 16:48   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
er translation of that would be appreciated
Meaning: The police seem to be troubling too much these days. - intended message: police are filing cases just to trouble these days.
Old 31st October 2015, 17:08   #74
BHPian

er translation of that would be appreciated = this means the cops are harassing the people these days.
I was completely blown away reading all of this never came across anything like this before. I am from mumbai and travel to pune often, have been troubled by traffic cops many a time. But, my strategy is simple, i smile a lot, address them as "saheb" or "sir", negotiate with them and pay them off. I find there is no point trying to make them understand its not your fault or anything. (have tried in the past and it doesn't work, just wastes everyone time and finally you have to co-operate with them)
Bro, really feel sorry and helpless at the state of affairs in our country. I, sincerely hope that you come out of this wiser and smiling and yes, don't let it break your spirit and let them corrupt officials win whatever the outcome. All the best.
Old 2nd November 2015, 11:20   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Judge looked at the charge sheet and mumbled 'aaz kal police jastich traas dyayla lagle aahet vatta '
Quote:
Originally Posted by savyo View Post
er translation of that would be appreciated = this means the cops are harassing the people these days....
Thanks for the translation!
I was wondering what exactly that sentence would mean, though the gist looked positive from stuntfreak's tone.
Have been following this thread as most of us face this kind of situation while driving/riding every once in a while.

Stuntfreak that looks a good start, keep your heads up!
Things are never as bad as they seem at the onset, or as police try to portray.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks