Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th January 2021, 18:51   #166
BHPian

Re: Revv self-drive car rentals with doorstep delivery

Had a bad experience with Revv Kolkata.
Booked an Alto k10 nearly 3 weeks back to go and visit some suburb places where I spent childhood. Was very happy that will be going to these places after nearly 25 years.

Just a day before the booking they change the car from the Alto to a Ciaz! The places I planned to visit are congested ones with narrow lanes. Taking a Ciaz would be a headache ,so I ask them to provide me any small hatchback (they have Eon, Santro, WagonR, Celerio, Swift, i10, i20 advertised) and what they do is assign a Scorpio now!

I get frustrated and cancel my booking. Very disappointed, all my plans had to be cancelled . Will not forgive Revv for spoiling this.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 23rd February 2021 at 16:51. Reason: Typos & punctuation
saion666 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2021, 23:25   #167
BHPian

I used Revv for the first time and I had a pretty good experience.
We had booked a Marazzo and just minutes after booking, we were upgraded to an Innova Crysta at no additional cost!
The thing I really liked the most is that their cars are very clean and are not in terrible shape when compared to Zoomcar or Drivezy.
TaurusSHO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2021, 23:42   #168

Revv Car Subscription, Delhi-NCR

We live out of the country so while planning a trip back home to visit family, we needed a vehicle. Not a taxi as it doesn't provide the level of independence that I am used to. Also, buying a car for a month and a half didn't make much sense so alternatives were being looked into. My wife suggested renting a car for whenever we needed and that prompted me to look for car rentals. Looking for car rentals was never really a thing whenever we visited earlier. We always had a car but it was sold off when we realized it wasn't being used enough.
While renting a car for 45 days turned out to be unnecessarily expensive, I came across a new service called Car Subscriptions. It was specifically a company called Revv, that was providing this service and was cheaper than renting for a long while. I had heard about Revv a few times but didn't know anyone who had tried it. I decided to give it a shot and experience it for myself. I tried to book a rental from the airport itself and get a drop off at my home in Faridabad. It was a feature advertised to rent the car and drop it off somewhere else. On trying multiple combinations, I figured that Faridabad was not one of the locations that were supported for this feature. This was not mentioned anywhere and hence wasn't obvious to anyone. So, in Delhi-NCR region, I realised that at least people in Faridabad were being considered as Second-class citizens.
I kept looking though and figured that Revv subscriptions were still an option but not from the airport itself. Also, given the Covid situation, I wasn't expecting to travel much so renting a car for a long while didn't really make much sense anyway. I also considered renting cars on-demand whenever needed and it made sense as well. But then again, getting them to drop the car in Faridabad and pick it back from there was going to be challenging. Brainstorming for sometime, I figured Subscriptions would probably be my best option. I decided to book a subscription for a month after reaching India. This would give me some time to acclimatise to the conditions and have a car till the end of my trip.

Booking Experience

On the mobile application, the subscription booking would redirect you to the browser so the app experience wasn't any good. I decided to use my laptop instead to make the booking. Browser experience was relatively intuitive and straightforward. Coming to India after a while, my priority was to get an automatic so that its easier to drive and protect in traffic. Santro was shown as one of the options and Santro was recently launched as well. I expected it to have Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. Besides, apart from being easy to maneuver, having a small car meant that I could try the service and invest some more next time if I liked it. I decided to go for it and 5th of January was going to be the delivery date for the vehicle. I could see a few discount coupons on the website as well but I wasn't able to apply them due to one condition or the other. These were the so-called fine prints and I only got to know about them when I called their customer care.

Docs Review process

The entire payment was to be made upfront which made sense. One is required to pay an extra 5000INR as security deposit which was ok as well. It was when I made the payment that I started getting issues. I got an email asking to send the scanned copies of all my ID proofs. This was alright except for the security-concerned enthusiast in me. I wasn't very comfortable in sending all my ID proofs like PAN card, Aadhaar card, etc. as an email attachment. So, I crossed and wrote on every ID proof the purpose for which they were being sent. This was better than sending plain scanned copies in my mind. Revv didn't seem to like it very much and started calling me asking for colored scanned copies this time. I tried asking logic behind this but couldn't get a convincing reply. Having argued over this for a while, I told them to cancel my booking and refund my money.
An hour later, I got a call from another sales rep that I remember having spoken to earlier (<<< Shubham >>>). He had been a reasonable person so far so I told him my point of view. He agreed to proceed, obviously with the condition that original documents will be shown at the time of delivery. This was fine by me and made total sense. So the booking was finally through and I could move forward.

Booking Confirmation

Over the next few days, I got at least 5 calls confirming the same thing. They wanted to know if the booking was still on and my address for delivery. Exhausted by innumerable calls at sometimes inconvenient times, I said I had provided this info over and over again. I was told them that those could have been different teams. This was the first time ever that I got such a reply from an entity. They couldn't come up with the logic to check internally first before bothering the customer multiple times. Anyhow, by then, either all the teams had called me or they finally figured that booking was confirmed.

Santro Unavailable

Around a week before the scheduled delivery, I got an email saying that vehicle was not available anymore. They mentioned contacting me (once, but I couldn't be blamed for not picking it up at this stage) over the phone. So, I had to get on a call again and try to sort this out. By this time, I had been on at least 10 different calls with them and I hadn't even gotten the car yet. Since Santro wasn't available, I was told that an upgrade to Celerio was available. This required an additional amount of 1200INR on top of what I had already paid.
I hate to bring this comparison here again but I couldn't help it this time. I have rented cars in US, Europe and Australia and have experienced this a few times. If the car you chose in the booking isn't available at the time of delivery, you are given a free upgrade. Also, you are never phoned to discuss this as if this was your mistake.
Here I was, shocked yet again at how I was being treated as a customer and was forced to argue over something unnecessarily. I mentioned that it wasn't my mistake that the vehicle I chose was not available with them. Also, I asked, if they only had one car in subscription that they were allocating to me. I was told that the previous customer had extended their subscription so the car couldn't be allocated to me. I decided to drop that there and figure out what I could get. I knew Celerio definitely wouldn't have CarPlay but moreover, the automatic gearshift wasn't as smooth as Santro's. And yet, here was the rep asking me to bear the difference. I stood my ground and was placed on hold while the rep spoke to the supervisor. After a hold of about 2 minutes, I was told that I will not be required to pay anything and I will also be due an amount of 400INR. I wouldn't really bet on the due amount as I didn't really trust their calculation at that time. I was just relieved that this was resolved.

Contract Signing

The contract is sent over an email and has a lot of fine print. When has someone actually went over the entire fine print before signing a car rental contract. It could do with some bullet points listing the most important aspects of the subscription. This will be reflected upon further in forthcoming sections. Digitally singing the contract was pretty straightforward and hassle-free for a change.

Vehicle Delivery

Come the day of delivery, I was eagerly waiting for a drive. I had already seen a few Celerio reviews on YouTube and couldn't wait to get my hands on one. I also had a doctors' appointment later in the day that I intended on using this car for. I was communicated a time of 10AM for the delivery and that's what I had requested in my booking as well. I was also informed that I will be called at least an hour earlier before the deliver. I woke up around 9:15AM only to realize that I hadn't received a call. I waited till 10AM to see if I get a call. Also, Revv doesn't operate its call centers before that time so I had little options but to wait. I finally called them around 1015AM and was told that delivery time is actually a window and not a fixed time. The window is between 10AM-12PM and I was to expect the delivery till then. Another first, I told them that I had a doc appointment at 12 but little do they care. I was told to wait till 12PM and they promised to get in touch with the team to expedite the delivery. It was 12PM and I had taken a cab to go see the doctor. I still hadn't received a call from the delivery person. So, I had called again only to get a response that they weren't aware and would reach out to the concerned team and get it expedited, yet again.
Around 1PM, I got a call from the Revv driver that he would reach me in an hour. Finally, I thought, the vehicle will be delivered and I would be able to run some errands.

Vehicle Condition

It was around 2PM that the car finally arrived. White in color, it looked like I had called a cab, a rather cheap one at that. I didn't believe at first that this was the car but the driver came out and said he indeed was from Revv. I found myself at loss of words as to what had happened. The car was a yellow number plate with black number. There was also yellow lining along the car and a yellow block and black text above the fuel tank that had the owner's information. The latter is also a typical sign of taxis being run by drivers who are not actual vehicle owners. The only indication that this was a Revv car were the stickers on the side indicating the same.
The car's condition, unlike advertised, was definitely not like new. It had scratches and small dents all around. Also, I later realized that the plastic cladding underneath the driver seat was coming off. I hadn't taken a picture of them when taking the delivery and this could be an issue when they take it back.
Finally, being a taxi number meant that I will be required to pay MCD (Municipal Corporation of Delhi) tax every time I entered Delhi. This is a sum of 100INR and is different from the normal toll that I will also be required to pay. I agreed to paying the toll which is normal but this MCD toll was unreasonable.
I called Revv while asking the driver to wait. I was told that this was normal which I still don't agree with. They said that all Revv cars either come with a Yellow-Black or a Black-Yellow number plates. I also told them of the car and that it looked like a taxi to which they agreed to look into. Later in the day, I got a call telling me that they could send me a Manual transmission Swift that also had a private number. That, however, would take another 2 days and they will take the existing car back that itself.
I understood they intended on starting another contract and cancelling this one. I was not going to stay in India that long to use that subscription. Also, I needed the car that day itself to get things done. I decided to live with this car for the period of the subscription.

Living with the car

Being a taxi lookalike, I knew I will have unnecessary challenges. If you are in NCR region and not Delhi, you have to make innumerable Delhi visits in a month. Paying 100INR on top of car rental, fuel and taxes without running a taxi is unreasonable. Yet, there was little that I could now do about it. I was bound by contract and had to live with it. One day prior to the end of subscription, I was stopped at the MCD toll booth. Reason being, the car did not have MCD pass and they had mandated a pass on every car entering Delhi. It was almost 9PM and I knew I'd get extremely limited support from Revv on this and waste more time. I tried to explain my situation and argue with at least 3 people. It took me about 30 minutes and an argument with their supervisor to pass that booth. This was one of the major incidents.
Couple of small ones included being denied/delayed parking as it was a commercial number in malls/outside shops etc. It was easy for people to mistake it for a taxi and then behave accordingly.

Subscription End and Vehicle Collection

I was expecting some issue while returning car as well. We had gone to Delhi on a real taxi this time to get my in-laws' car for the last 2 days of our visit to India. The collection team from Revv called me to confirm the time and I asked them to come in late afternoon. There was another call a bit later from the person himself who was to collect and we decided on the time. He also asked me my current location and wanted to collect the car from Delhi itself but then agreed to come to Faridabad when I told him that I haven't brought the car with me. The car was smoothly picked up from my home after a visible inspection by this person in the evening. There was no confirmation email/call from Revv so I called them to confirm the car was being picked up before letting the person drive away with the car.
There was no email confirmation from them till the next day when I finally got the finally bill. I had made the payment through PayTM and security deposit was also returned to my PayTM account.

Conclusion

My experience of a rental subscription turned out to be a mixed bag. While the onboarding was painful, the subscription ending was relatively smooth. I could have been better prepared with what I needed. I didn't ask for a non-commercial number plate which I later realized was feasible. I also didn't ask for specific features like CarPlay. So, next time when I book, I'd know exactly what I want from them. All in all, I think it was a value for money deal but I could have asked for a better service at the time of booking.
Attached Thumbnails
Revv self-drive car rentals with doorstep delivery-478d046eb86e40309ae0e4a8674b56f5.jpeg  

akant is offline   (34) Thanks
Old 21st February 2021, 15:54   #169
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Revv Car Subscription, Delhi-NCR

Quote:
Originally Posted by akant View Post
I didn't ask for a non-commercial number plate which I later realized was feasible.
Thanks for sharing your experience. There is no escape from the 100 MCD toll. Even if you were to take an Uber or Ola or a neighbourhood cab, they would charge you this over and above the rental cost. The only benefit with them, however, is that the driver will manage the transaction, either by paying it at the booth or have a prepaid pass.

I am not sure sure about the quoted bit though. Legally you cannot rent out a white plate car. Most self drives have a black plate with yellow letters.
Dry Ice is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2021, 23:29   #170
Senior - BHPian

I've used the services of REVV multiple number of times in Chennai and Delhi - NCR. Till now, no reasons to regret.
Old 22nd February 2021, 01:28   #171
rkw
BHPian

Quote:
The car was a yellow number plate with black number. There was also yellow lining along the car and a yellow block and black text above the fuel tank that had the owner's information. The latter is also a typical sign of taxis being run by drivers who are not actual vehicle owners.
I believe you require a "Transport" endorsed license for driving a vehicle with yellow number plate. "Non-transport" license holders can drive white plate (private), black plate (self-driven rental as in your case) & green plate (EV). It is not clear how the car rental company has given yellow plate car. I have always got black plate cars from Zoomcar.
Old 22nd February 2021, 04:53   #172
BHPian

Revv seems to certainly have gone downhill since its launch. I've used it multiple times since 2017 and in comparison with other providers it is still better than Zoomcar but worse than Mychoize.

I wonder if there are any premium car rentals with good cars (well kitted models unlike the bare basics one the above providers), premium car options (Compass, Thar etc.) and premium customer service?

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 23rd February 2021 at 16:52. Reason: Typo
iamitp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2021, 12:20   #173

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkw View Post
I believe you require a "Transport" endorsed license for driving a vehicle with yellow number plate. "Non-transport" license holders can drive white plate (private), black plate (self-driven rental as in your case) & green plate (EV). It is not clear how the car rental company has given yellow plate car. I have always got black plate cars from Zoomcar.
Plz read point # 3 on page # 3 of attachment.
Govt. has done away with the need of "Transport" endorsement on LMV licence. Now any LMV "Non-transport" license holder can also drive a vehicle with yellow number plate provided gross vehicle weight does not cross 7500 kg limit.
The Tragedy is that Laws are made and implemented in India but majority of people are found to be completely unaware and oblivious to new laws of the land. I sometimes wonder whether Trafficops are aware about these new laws or not.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf LMV TR SC 2018.pdf (1.03 MB, 616 views)
DusterBoy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2021, 13:30   #174
rkw
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DusterBoy View Post
Plz read point # 3 on page # 3 of attachment.
Govt. has done away with the need of "Transport" endorsement on LMV licence. Now any LMV "Non-transport" license holder can also drive a vehicle with yellow number plate provided gross vehicle weight does not cross 7500 kg limit.
Thanks for sharing. It is good to do away with the "Transport" endorsement which otherwise required renewal every 3 years. Also, the differentiation was difficult at times.
Old 22nd February 2021, 19:49   #175
BHPian

Quote:
So, in Delhi-NCR region, I realised that at least people in Faridabad were being considered as Second-class citizens.
This is so true. I live in Faridabad and deal with this across various segments.

I would like to add that you are very patient and a positive person who still went ahead with Revv after so many initial hiccups. If I had been in your place, I would have dropped the booking at following points:
  • There is no service in Faridabad. As a customer, if I'm charged at par with others, then I deserve the service.
  • Doc review process wherein they had asked for colored copy
  • Santro Unavailable. I would have lost my patience here. But hats off to you (I'm not being sarcastic and I mean in positive way) that you argued with them and went ahead.

I would not have crossed the above three. Heck I would not have even tried. I'm so convinced that "Customer Service" is yet to be understood by companies like Revv and Zoom. They should learn from Amazon India. Secondly, I absolutely do not trust on the conditions of car they provide. I can't handle a shabby car and I can't spoil my event day. So I simply stay away from these, come what may and prefer to spend extra for the peace of mind.
Old 28th February 2021, 02:06   #176
BHPian

Recent Revv service experiences in Kolkata were not good for me.

On 1st Feb, 2021 the car delivery at my place was delayed by 30 minutes in the morning. My booking was at 7:30 AM and the WagonR arrived at 8 AM. This was for my personal work, and since I planned for some buffer time to reach the place; it finally didn't impact my schedule. I was just in time.

On 15th of Feb, 2021 however, was for my office work trip to kolkata. The car delivery was at kolkata Airport. My scheduled landing was at 10 AM and the booking was at 10:30 AM. However, as usual Indigo airlines completed their landing much before 10 AM. However there was no message from Revv for the delivery person details. I coordinated with them on 14th February evening from Gurgaon, so that there is no delay in the car delivery or no ambiguity receiving the car. Had to call up Revv customer care multiple times to get delivery person's details. And that fellow bluntly says he has just received the car at their Hub and about to leave the place for delivery. It is almost 1 hour drive from their hub near Ruby hospital to kolkata Airport during peak traffic hours. The delivery person also asked me to cancel and avail Uber/ Ola if I need a prompt service. However, I needed the car for return journey also and other works. So I didn't cancel it. The Hyundai Eon car was delivered a solid 1 hour late, car interior cleaning was not good, full of dust and dirt in driver's floor area. Also, the car condition was "khatara".

Since I was late to workplace, had to extend the booking hours. Revv customer care provided some discount due to their late delivery.

For kolkata location, I would suggest not to book Eon car. It's in very bad condition. My earlier booking of swift car had problem in wipers. Those were damaged, very risky for long dusty road trips, night drives etc.

On 18th Feb, 2021 I booked another Revv service for Celerio. When the car was delivered I found it to be Automatic AMT type. I never drove automatic (actually I am a newbie and have limited experience). Hence I was very scared. Requested the delivery person Md. Ispak to accompany me for a round. He explained me the things. Had about 1 km drive with him as co-passenger. It was cool. I could quickly understand what I need to do in this AMT.

Though the Celerio AMT had 92000 km + on odo, it was very smooth. Enjoyed a lot driving this car from Birati to Ruby. While returning from work got stuck in a nasty traffic jam for about 1.5 hours, just for 3-4 km stretch. This AMT was so easy for my legs.

However, the pick-up service was pathetic on that night. Md Bablu was the pick-up executive of Revv, a rowdy guy. His attitude and body language were very bad; as if he is dealing with some mafia. Mouthful of pan masala and gutka things, he was spitting everywhere in my neighborhood and on my neighbours boundary wall. Seeing this I lost my cool and asked him to behave properly and not to spit at this time of COVID. That fellow started shouting on me, saying all nonsense that whether he is responsible for all the mess everywhere etc. Anyway, sensing these Revv pick-up guys are not good I asked them to quickly finish the pick-up formalities and get lost.

After they disappeared, called up Revv customer care to report the entire episode, reported the misbehaviour of their pick-up executive Md Bablu. Next day also I again informed them about the incidents. Yesterday I got a call from their Gurgaon office who again had my feedback. But so far there is no email communication from Revv.

Yes, their service experience in Kolkata has gone down. But here I also understand that all customers are not taking good care of their vehicles. Hence they started behaving roughly with all people in a uniform way.

Probably, next time I would avoid Revv in Kolkata unless their pick-up and delivery executive behaviour changes.
Old 12th July 2021, 12:24   #177
BHPian

Took a Honda Amaze in BLR.

The car had run over 1 lakh km but was well-maintained, and was clean and tidy.

There was a minor issue with the power window though - used to not work at times.

Otherwise, the pick-up and drop experience were smooth and glitch-free.

One thing I was surprised by was them asking for local address proof. Say if I am travelling to another city where I don't live, I can't book a Revv car? Seems odd. The delivery person said the proof was mandatory. Anybody else faced this?
ss212 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th July 2021, 01:07   #178
rkw
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss212 View Post
One thing I was surprised by was them asking for local address proof. Say if I am travelling to another city where I don't live, I can't book a Revv car? Seems odd. The delivery person said the proof was mandatory. Anybody else faced this?
Never came across such requirement in Zoomcar. Usually those travelling & using the service are away from home. So it is natural not to have local address proof.
rkw is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2021, 01:02   #179
BHPian

Guys, I've never used self driven rental car before hence need help on a basic query. I'm browsing through Revv now and I see 2 options, with fuel cost and without fuel costing. I would be using the car for 2 days for a 400-500kms trip overall.

Please suggest which option is better to choose, with fuel or without?

P.S. I'm looking at Ertiga or Marazzo diesel.
Old 10th October 2021, 16:46   #180
Senior - BHPian

Guys, anyone have any experience renting from Revv in Bhubaneshwar? Looking to do a Puri trip in mid-November. Any input would be greatly appreciated. I am preferring Revv since we have had flawless experiences with them here.

Thanks in Advance!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks