Team-BHP - Revv self-drive car rentals with doorstep delivery
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Street Experiences (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street-experiences/)
-   -   Revv self-drive car rentals with doorstep delivery (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street-experiences/167422-revv-self-drive-car-rentals-doorstep-delivery.html)

Now here's a self-drive car rental service that offers some added convenience. Delhi-based Revv offers its customers a one-of-a-kind doorstep delivery and pick-up of their self-drive car fleet.

Revv self-drive car rentals with doorstep delivery-revv1.jpg

Each time you book their car, Revv offers you the convenience of doorstep delivery of the vehicle. At the moment, the delivery and pick-up location have to be the same. One-way bookings aren't available yet. Their executives will use foldable electric scooters (which fit in the boot of the cars), to travel back to the car parking lots after a successful delivery. Customers have a further advantage of clocking unlimited kilometres per hour in these rental vehicles.

Revv is the brainchild of Anupam Agarwal and Karan Jain, both were Associate Partners of McKinsey with over a decade long experience on their profile. The company was launched on July 27, 2015 and has already experienced a 45-50% utilization in its first 3 weeks.

Revv self-drive car rentals with doorstep delivery-revv.jpg

All cars will be provided with a full tank of fuel and customers are expected to return it the same way.

Hourly rentals are as follows:(These are indicative rates which may vary on weekdays, weekends, peak season, festivals etc.)

For more details, visit their FAQ section.

Thanks! Is their service available pan India? Couldn't glean that information from the website.

Quote:

Originally Posted by swiftdiesel (Post 3786144)
Thanks! Is their service available pan India? Couldn't glean that information from the website.

They have launched in Delhi with 50 cars to start with and plans to expand to 4 to 6 cities by end of this year !!! Aims to be the largest self-drive car rental company with 20,000+ fleet in the next 3 to 4 years. Pretty aggressive i must say.

source

Great news considering cars from lower segments are too on offer. Hope at least this company puts measures in place to stop reckless driving seen in self driven rental cars. The spiralling instances of Zoom cars involved in accidents creates a scary picture.

This is pretty better option than zoom car for one day trips. Say i hire a ecosport for 7 hours for a thiruvannamalai (400 kms up/down) visit then in zoom car i will be charged 840 for car and 5400 (360 kms * 15) for the distance travelled.

Here in Revv, i will spend 623 for the car and 1500 for diesel (approx)

Thats super cheap!!!

At the given prices, this looks like a good thing. Extremely cost effective and also the customer has convenient option of getting car delivered and taken away from his door step.
Hopefully the taxi operators of different states stay in their good senses and don't create a Laddakh like situation throughout the country.

I like this model better than Zoom.

The home delivery of car is a big USP. Plus, the driver who drives to the customer can explain the features and when picking up can inspect the car as well.

Then there's the model which doesn't include fuel. Unlimited kms and customer pays for fuel is simple and doesn't need close tracking of kms. Only thing is the attender needs to ensure car is returned with same amount of fuel as pickup time.

Competition is always welcome and this seems to be a good one.

Right now Zoom have scaled up too fast too soon. Their thought of having pickup points everywhere as much as possible is getting crazy to handle for them selves.

Ideally they should have 5-6 places in each corner of city and one in airport and then offer this service to drop the car to customer. They need more manpower but not everyone will want a car at the exact same time.

I like this model, have thought about taking a zoom car a couple of times but always avoided it since I have to go and pick it up. If I don't have a car for the day and I am getting a zoom car, it makes no sense to take public transport to go to ZoomCar and take their car, and then go back there to drop off and take public transport and come home(If I am taking the car for hourly basis for a day and not for an outstation trip). This is inconvenient as well as consumes a lot of time :Frustrati Revv totally solves this problem for me!

However, there website has no option of online booking as of now, however I find it good that their executive will swipe the card at my doorstep! Also, partial refund will be given if I return the car before the time bought clap:

I can say this idea looks promising to me!

Probably the best model so far. Will be far more convenient to get the car home delivered. Going to get the car and returning after a long drive was the biggest pain I had whenever I have rented a car in India or aboard. Hope they soon launch their service in Bangalore.

Foldable scooters sound too sci-fi and give them that green edge too.

This model sounds excellent. One can get the car at a convenient location and return it back there itself. Terms and conditions seem clear too. The drop at your location service is better for the company itself too. They can rent a premise with low rental to park their cars. Having loads of cars at one place would make it easier to keep them spic and span with minimal workforce. Smart move!

Hoping they do not expand too fast and keep things in control. Slower but more planned expansion will be much more appreciated than a hurried up expansion.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vid6639 (Post 3786396)
I like this model better than Zoom...

I understand it is currently more convenient & sounds nice, but I doubt I'll like it very much in the long run.

Why am I skeptic ? Because Kilometer-age is the most prudent way I know that a vehicle's cost of usage can be calculated.

IMO Its close to impossible that they've managed to calculate the cost of usage / depreciation of the core asset of the business, based solely on time factor.

All this company info & write-up is nice to know, but IMO not good enough for a consumers' long term financial interests.

Apologies if this sounds negative, but its only that I personally want to prudently choose to support a business / brand that doesn't plan to be a consumer predator when "their time comes" later in the long run citing "market forces".

My main concerns :

Q1) Is it sustainable for them ? Are they going to maintain stable services (not like how ZoomCar's / others services are deteriorating in some aspects in some cities).

Q2) Do they plan to keep the prices at such levels for a substantial time or are they just burning Angel Investors money to gain market traction (& later plan to increase prices).

Q3) Would they be willing to offer premium / creative services at higher / different price points ? Ex. Chauffeur / Ola Cafe' type services.

Q4) What are the safety precautions they keep to prevent misuse of cars ? Ex. Do they have Rev-limiters installed to help prevent dangerous over-speeding?

P.S. : I have no financial interest in this or any such company.

Quote:

Competition is always welcome and this seems to be a good one.

Right now Zoom have scaled up too fast too soon. Their thought of having pickup points everywhere as much as possible is getting crazy to handle for them selves.

Ideally they should have 5-6 places in each corner of city and one in airport and then offer this service to drop the car to customer. They need more manpower but not everyone will want a car at the exact same time.
Quite true. I guess what ZoomCar is trying to do is to maximise automation and reduce personnel consumer-touch points because they possibly consider personal interaction with consumer as a cumbersome, time-consuming & managerial challenge.

Apparently because with such semi-personalised services, scalability of the business becomes slow paced & maybe even unsustainable.

Anyway! Happy Driving :)

This model is much better than ZoomCar. Paying for fuel rather than extra kilometers clocked makes more sense, especially if you renting a car with a great economy for long drives.

Read their policy unlike ZoomCar which allows a maximum speed of 120Kmph, Revv allows 135Kmph. I don't advocate of that high limit especially with the way people drive in India, they need rethink the maximum speed allowed. A Rs.500 fine for crossing the speed limit.

They have also mentioned that the customer will not be charged for minor scratches.clap:

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrammarNazi (Post 3786439)
I understand it is currently more convenient & sounds nice, but I doubt I'll like it very much in the long run.

Why am I skeptic ? Because Kilometer-age is the most prudent way I know that a vehicle's cost of usage can be calculated.

IMO Its close to impossible that they've managed to calculate the cost of usage / depreciation of the core asset of the business, based solely on time factor.

All this company info & write-up is nice to know, but IMO not good enough for a consumers' long term financial interests.

Those are good points but looking at the prices, per km rates don't really matter. With Zoom, you can tell based on kms how much that car has cost them in income but it will never be that accurate.

There is an even bigger disadvantage with Zoom which adds up to the cost unknowingly. Since Zoom pays for fuel they have 2 issues. 1. The drivers make no effort to drive mileage consciously. They idle for as long as they feel like since fuel is not charged to them at all. 2. Driving style. Because they don't pay for fuel, driving style is more aggressive and most of the times rash. This leads to more accidents and results in higher costs to them.

This is where the REvv model is advantageous. Similar to most rental companies in US, fuel is on the customer and the onus is on him to drive efficiently and save on his fuel bill which will add up to the total rental.

Quote:

Quite true. I guess what ZoomCar is trying to do is to maximise automation and reduce personnel consumer-touch points because they possibly consider personal interaction with consumer as a cumbersome, time-consuming & managerial challenge.

Apparently because with such semi-personalised services, scalability of the business becomes slow paced & maybe even unsustainable.
Actually Zoom has gone a step back now. Their remote unlock/lock is not 100% fool proof. Because of car being returned with damages and other issues they have stopped returns between 12am-6am. They are now trying to ensure there is a man at every centre during pickup/drop.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrammarNazi (Post 3786439)

What they're counting on is most people (read = 90%) never exceeding moderate usage per hour. This is especially the case when you are paying for the fuel.

Only 10% of customers will log seriously high miles in the given rental time, where the wear & tear they cause just makes it bad business. Not that I agree with it, but some companies are known to disallow bookings of such customers from the back end (they use tricks like car not available, we'll call you back etc.).

Something similar happened recently - Tesla sent soft warnings to some customers for overusing the supercharging network (a service that is supposed to be free) - link.

At any 'all you can eat' buffet, there will always be one or two loss-making customers :). Profits from the others make it up.

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further. We request you to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.