Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 21st September 2015, 15:06   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupamjain2k View Post
Just another gimmick...

I mean seriously, people are being asked to not take cars out in a city with pothole-infested roads, extremely irregular public-transport (not even talking about the condition of that), and 35+ degree temp. And the advice is to cycle, and walk!

Somebody has to go and tell these guys, to not just copy western trendy ideas, but to apply their minds a bit...

And if they are really serious, get roads repaired, drivers disciplined, and public transport efficient, and effective...And you'd see public cars disappearing from the roads by the dozens...And not for just a day!

In my opinion these are not just trendy western ideas but a start of new thinking.
In fact govt must enforce the rule where cars with even number plate can be driven on even days and odd numbers on odd days.
People will be forced to share ride, use public transport and use cycle.
We all need to do this for environment and future generations.
Unfortunately, no one wants to compromise on their own comfort.
Look at countries like holland, almost everyone cycle, even in rains and snow many people cycle there.
Yes, we need infrastructure but people like us, also need to change and do our bit.
Acharya is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st September 2015, 15:30   #17
Senior - BHPian

Re: Gurgaon gets ready for car-free Tuesdays from tomorrow, aims to promote use of public transport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acharya View Post
In my opinion these are not just trendy western ideas but a start of new thinking.
In fact govt must enforce the rule where cars with even number plate can be driven on even days and odd numbers on odd days.
Look at countries like holland, almost everyone cycle, even in rains and snow many people cycle there.
Yes, we need infrastructure but people like us, also need to change and do our bit.
Come to Gurgaon and you will realize that here cars are necessity and not the comfort. Gurgaon is indeed a Millennium City (though above eye level only)but things change drastically once you see below eye level. Following are key pointers describing Gurgaon:
  • Roads wash out in half hour rain due to lack of any kind of drainage system.
  • Public Transport System does not exist in most parts of the Gurgaon
  • Footpaths - what are these?
  • Most of the crossing does not have working traffic lights. The ones that are blessed with such system have idiotic timings.
  • It does not rain or snow in Gurgaon as it does in Holland but Gurgaon alone would have more dust than entire European continent.
  • Most of the residents of Gurgaon can afford even and odd numbered cars. it is not going to make any difference.
  • Sharing a ride in Gurgaon is the most dangerous risk one can take on his life.
  • Number of Policemen (civil and traffic) is way below requirement and mostly overworked.

I would happily take to public transport but not without proper infrastructure in place.
sourabhzen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st September 2015, 15:38   #18
BHPian

Re: Gurgaon gets ready for Car-Free Tuesdays from 22nd September, 2015

Quote:
Using Odd/Even number plates have worked well to reduce congestion in some heavy traffic areas in some countries. However, our country has a lot of souls, who would follow the rule to T, not for the cause, but just for the rule, right? So, if they have two cars - one odd, one even, they would religiously take the correct car as per the system!
In the end, the traffic situation would not change. More cars would be required to beat the system, and manufacturers can double their sales!

For the idea of car pool, even/odd numbering, car-free days, etc to work well in the long term to get the desired results, people have to subscribe to the idea and they should put some efforts towards it. If people try to find out loop holes, it would not work.
Old 21st September 2015, 15:43   #19
BHPian

I doubt much is going to happen regarding this. Tomorrow morning, everyone is going to pull out their vehicles, and go to office as normal. There is no public transport in Gurgaon, the metro has limited coverage (Mall Mile Stretch, Cyber City, Border Area) and quickly exits into New Delhi. Only five stations are provided by DMRC in Gurgaon. Which of course are enough on the existent line system. If they expand left and right of these lines, the metro will make more sense. Now of course if people are going to hail autos to prevent cars, how will it make a difference. The roads are pathetic here, sharing is unsafe, and traffic sense is NULL.

Best of like to this scheme.
Old 21st September 2015, 16:10   #20
Team-BHP Support

Any idea what could be the contribution of Industries in the vicinity to air pollution in NCR? Any research reports? Are automobiles solely responsible for bad air quality?
Old 21st September 2015, 17:56   #21
BHPian

I hope something positive happens. I used to live with my parents in Delhi ( Pitampura to be precise). Both me and my wife work in Gurgaon. The distance is only 36 kilometres. I have spent 6 hours on a return trip quite frequently. Finally I had to shift in Gurgaon.

This can only be applicable to folks to people who are either closer to the place of work or public transport. Public transport in Gurgaon is not even worth discussing.
Old 21st September 2015, 17:57   #22
BANNED

Such a long 4 page guideline was issued and just one line (point 3 on page 2) made a mockery of the whole activity-yes cars are allowed. Why bother at all! Our stupid lawmakers, law enforcers and law breakers.
Old 21st September 2015, 18:06   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Acharya,

You are bang on with your info about people cycling to work in Holland.
I live in Holland and have come to see this in reality and how it actually is has to be experienced. While I would also suggest such alternatives for my home country, I first come to think about the viability of doing so, simply because of the following :

a) in Holland, there are dedicated cycle paths (marked by odd red color tar or bricks ) which is only meant for cycles and small scooters which ensure they have dedicated way to reach their destination. This path on 90% places is a like 5 feet away from the main road and hence the traffic does not bother them. Can we have the same done/built in India ? This would take a really long time.

b) in Holland, people are courteous towards cycle riders. They have the right of way at any junction or crossing or turning. Before you can turn your car to your destination side, you must ensure that a cyclist is not approaching you. If a cyclist is approaching, you must wait for him/her to cross (no matter how fast of slow he/she is ). that is the rule, and the same applies for pedestrians as well. Nobody just aggravates their SUV or any automobile onto a cyclist just because they can and if they do, it is very heavily fined.

In Holland, you can actually bicycle from one city to another through these paths, which is well maintained with proper road like directions and distances to be covered and alternatives ( and even specific GPS maps for cycles )..

With the above, I do not say that we Should NOT be doing this India, but we are far from mature to react as i have mentioned they do in Holland.

The first time when i saw people wearing full suit and then cycle to work amazed me. Who in India would do that ? He would be ridiculed for doing so. But then I too decided to get my own cycle and take it to work, which actually peaceful.

Sorry for the guys, couldn't help it when i see such orderly stuff happening here and I sincerely wished it happened in India as well.

Cheers
Prashant
prashant_dv is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st September 2015, 18:46   #24
Senior - BHPian

When you try to emulate ideas, don't just look at the ideas. Look at the different factors which makes such ideas work.

When you have excellent public transport and infrastructure, there will be less need for using personal cars. Build the infrastructure first, then enforce such ideas.

We do not have solid foundation, but still the buildings are being built, this will only cause more problems than solving it.
Old 21st September 2015, 19:10   #25
BHPian

I found this interesting image on the internet. I haven't analysed it in depth, but what it depicts, seems to be true.

We definitely need a robust and dependable public transport system before the majority can let go of their cars for daily commute.

Many posts above have mentioned how no one enjoys being stuck in traffic. I too, would shift to public transport given an option. However, the buses only ply on major roads and the ancillary roads are left to autos, who either refuse to take the journey or demand exorbitant amounts.

Gurgaon gets ready for Car-Free Tuesdays from 22nd September, 2015-transport.jpg
drive2eternity is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 21st September 2015, 20:43   #26
BHPian

Appreciate the effort, but before the govt kick start such gimmicks they need first ensure basic infra requirements are met. Or else, atleast assure that they will as a result of such measures.

The prime reason for traffic atleast in a city like Bengaluru, isnt the # of vehicles, its the pathetic planning and illogically created junctions, temporary Just in Time solutions that the Govt implements. To further aggravate the scene, You find potholes and patchwork in the most crucial bottle neck points, this slows down the already slow traffic. Thirdly, unnecessary speed breakers! everywhere, people need to slow down when entering a major road from a smaller road, people need to be educated about this, adding a Speed bump at every intersection to me looks like a dumb thought of a senseless society. This applies to almost every other city that I have been to.

How possible is that in the Tropical ever hot Indian cities? apart from couple of places like Pune and Bangalore, you cant cycle to work period, unless you start when the sun isnt up. the heat and dust will overshadow any health benefits. Also, people in vehicles have absolutely no respect for cyclists. I really empathize people who have only a cycle to commute. I once cycled from Sarjapur to E-city, I was super lucky to come back home in one piece.

My suggestion to the Govt would be to pull up their socks and start mending the infrastructure before its too late (Its already too late if you ask me)

Last edited by anand.shankar : 21st September 2015 at 21:03.
anand.shankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2015, 23:02   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashant_dv View Post
Acharya,

You are bang on with your info about people cycling to work in Holland.
I live in Holland and have come to see this in reality and how it actually is has to be experienced. While I would also suggest such alternatives for my home country, I first come to think about the viability of doing so, simply because of the following :

a) in Holland, there are dedicated cycle paths (marked by odd red color tar or bricks ) which is only meant for cycles and small scooters which ensure they have dedicated way to reach their destination. This path on 90% places is a like 5 feet away from the main road and hence the traffic does not bother them. Can we have the same done/built in India ? This would take a really long time.

b) in Holland, people are courteous towards cycle riders. They have the right of way at any junction or crossing or turning. Before you can turn your car to your destination side, you must ensure that a cyclist is not approaching you. If a cyclist is approaching, you must wait for him/her to cross (no matter how fast of slow he/she is ). that is the rule, and the same applies for pedestrians as well. Nobody just aggravates their SUV or any automobile onto a cyclist just because they can and if they do, it is very heavily fined.

t
Just a small correction: bicycles do not have the right of way at any crossing or turning. There are traffic rules that govern that and bicycles need to adhere to that.

Jeroen
Old 21st September 2015, 23:24   #28
BHPian

Returned just a couple of hours back from my office. A six km journey took 45 minutes. Four signals on the way, each took minimum five minutes to cross (HUDA CC actually more than ten). At one signal, was almost rear ended by an auto. While taking a U-turn, suffered constant honking of car behind besides hard glares of drivers of upcoming cars. Despite my great familiarity, could not save the tyre entering into crater (more civilized term them potholes) at two places. The street lights in the service lane were off as usual, so had to negotiate that stretch crawling to avoid hitting a stray animal or enter into some recently dug trench.

This was fresh in mind, so came as outburst. Still have not described how it was in the morning. And yesterday, or day-before, or ……

It will be very reasonable to ask why I still do not welcome the move like a car-less day. Simply because it has no practicality. Unless one is young athletic type, cannot walk or cycle several kms in this weather. Autorickshaws at best fleece you and at worst can induce a heart attack through F1 grade maneuvers. City buses, I see them occasionally and wonder why they do not go to any worthwhile destination. Metro is a hub service, not last mile one.

So what are the actual options – either drive my car, join car-pool, or hire a taxi. None of these makes it a car-less day. The administration knows it well too. Otherwise, why a single no-car day if alternatives exist and are indeed sustainable.

Last edited by rsm97 : 21st September 2015 at 23:29.
Old 21st September 2015, 23:46   #29
BHPian

Hyderabad's car free Thursday is a joke, as many complain of excessive jams in the IT area every Thursday. No idea why that happens. But, seriously, unless you live in a 5km radius from your office, in which case you can cycle safely, car free days are impossible in my city due to unreliable public transport.
Old 22nd September 2015, 00:23   #30
BHPian

To be completely honest, I don't see the point in having car-free days or Raahgiri etc. I believe that if the authorities are really so concerned about pollution and traffic, why don't they ensure that there are stringent pollution norms, and that they are followed strictly? The same goes for the traffic rules, why can't we have door-to-door awareness drives about sensible and safe driving, along with more hefty fines for indiscipline on the roads?

And I ask why only 'car'-free days? Just have a look at the Piaggio share autos in the city. Complete disregard of general road discipline, more than half of them pollute more than a brick factory, and yet we can do nothing but stop cars from running on the road. Now I'm not saying that cars don't pollute, yes they do, but if we ensure that every vehicle that emits more pollutants than a certain fixed value is not allowed on the roads at all, I believe the problems will automatically disappear.

Another thing I've observed here, as have some of you, is that we are so keen on following more developed countries ( in terms of road discipline and infrastructure etc ) in having these initiatives, that we forget where we actually stand. Public transport in the city is not developed enough, and I can guarantee this will be one of those situations when there are public transport strikes, etc, causing chaos among people and overcharging autorickshaws.

Apologies for the rant, but this is what I make of all this. Cheers!

Most Viewed