Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2006, 17:57   #1
F50
Senior - BHPian

Anti-Theft Measure : Etching registration number on the windows

Today, I completed the reclaimation stretch and was going towards Lilavati Hospital, I was stopped by people wearing Mumbai Police Jackets. I was signalled to park on left, I got out and asked what was the scene. He told that we are etching your car number on the windows so that it helps when the car is flicked.
Charged me Rs.50 and etched my no. MH.01.Y .... on all 4 windows.
They are normally at this spot and Carter Road. Has anyone near/in South Bombay experienced this?
I feel its a good move!
Old 8th September 2006, 18:01   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F50
Charged me Rs.50 and etched my no. MH.01.Y .... on all 4 windows.
They are normally at this spot and Carter Road. Has anyone near/in South Bombay experienced this?
I feel its a good move!
My brother faced this on the same stretch 10 days back . My question to him was (I heard it was on the side glasses) - the guy stealing the car could always have the side windows changed so how foolproof is this method?

Last edited by suman : 8th September 2006 at 18:04.
Old 8th September 2006, 18:02   #3
Senior - BHPian

Hmm Cant the etching be removed by putting sun films or rather by changing the glass itself ? I mean is our Police that fast in detecting stolen cars that the thieves wont get enough time to change films. Heck they can even roll down the front windows & do somthing about the rear.

Btw Where exactly on the window do they etch? Also is it mandatory ?
Old 8th September 2006, 18:12   #4
F50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat
Btw Where exactly on the window do they etch? Also is it mandatory ?
Front - Top Left
Rear - Top Right

I dont think so that if you change the film the etching will go. Thing is etched on glass cutting through film. I have Jet Black Tints. I have been caught many times for that. So, its due to be changed i'll tell if the etching goes.
Also sometime back these talks were doing air of etching and all .... Another money making operation.

And for the thief changing all four glasses, it will turn out to be a costly affair for him.

Last edited by F50 : 8th September 2006 at 18:13.
Old 8th September 2006, 18:39   #5
Senior - BHPian

Why costly, the max for anormal sedan would go to 5k-6k(correct me if I am wrong) & their margins are much higher besides they may not need to buy it remember they are thieves

Anyways what i also wanted to know was whether this is mandatory to do? I mean if you were stopped was it possible for you to refuse this ?

I have seen over the years various strange rules put in by cops in various states like painting the top section of headight by black or yellow colour, in MP at one time all the cars were needed to have one green & one Red round sticker both in fron & rear winshield for God knows what.. may be better visibility...
Old 8th September 2006, 18:43   #6
Senior - BHPian

I would hate the etching at that position. Also window glasses are very easy/cheap to replace. Ideal position, if at all, should be on windscreen and on lower left hand side.

I really feel that we simply want to command and control without having any follow through systems. Do the police mean to say that if your car is stolen, they will flag down each and every car and check etching? Even if car is pulled up at traffic or other violation, will they check the etching then? If car is sold, say even after 3-4 months to another RTO/state, then what happens when registration number changes? You change your windscreen/windows? Cencel the etching and make new etching? The fact of the matter is that RTOs are not doing proper checking when registering second/subsequent transfer and therefore stolen cars are being registered or imported cars smuggled in and officially registered.

I will insist I do not want any etching, let him send me a notice.
Old 7th July 2008, 12:45   #7
BHPian

Any idea where etching is done in bangalore?
Old 7th July 2008, 13:18   #8
BANNED

How does etching solve vehicle theft?
Old 7th July 2008, 13:39   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo View Post
How does etching solve vehicle theft?
It can if the thief overlooks the etching on the windscreen and glass (which is a possibility). I am not sure but I suppose that the etching will be done on all glasses including the quarter glass and rear windscreen. The etching has been a common practice in Assam for many years now. I have not seen this in Meghalaya though.
Old 7th July 2008, 14:15   #10
Senior - BHPian

well this can also depend on the car in question. a premium sedan with etched glasses would need more money to replace it and sell so the theft problem is solved to an extent atleast right?

and its a car like M800 say this may not be all worty if the thief is witty and take a few grands like say 3 grand to replace all the glasses!

incase the thief is not witty enough then the car can be recovered too!

so IMHO it completely depends! and spending like say 100 bucks for all the glasses would definitely is not useless after all right?
Old 7th July 2008, 14:22   #11
BHPian

That is what I am trying to express. If the etching is done on every piece of glass in the vehicle, then its definitely worth it and may help deter the thief or get the vehicle recovered.
Old 7th July 2008, 14:24   #12
BANNED

Can the number be also etched on the car body also? Say on the A-pillar, which cannot be removed & replaced?

What if we get a new registration number in different state?
Old 7th July 2008, 14:26   #13
Senior - BHPian

My two cents:-

what if the owner goes and settles into another state and subsequently gets the registration number changed locally, then would he/she also get the glasses changed since they are etched with the original number?
Old 7th July 2008, 14:32   #14
Senior - BHPian

Now, even the A.S,S have started doing this & recommend it every time you go there. Makes a small difference only when the cop actually checks in the glass
Old 7th July 2008, 14:34   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
My two cents:-

what if the owner goes and settles into another state and subsequently gets the registration number changed locally, then would he/she also get the glasses changed since they are etched with the original number?
Guruji, I think these would be rare cases. In such case the owner will probably require to change the glasses (if the etching is mandatory) or be without etching. If I remember correctly, in Assam, the etching is mandatory. Don't know about other states.

Most Viewed