Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2015, 19:16   #1
Senior - BHPian

Now official: Speed-breakers & Potholes lead to 11,000 deaths every year

This is eye-opening news. We did know that speed breakers and potholes were bad for both, man and machine, and we've always loathed them, but this study shows some unbelievable findings! Go on, have a read:
Excerpts-
Speed breakers, as the term explains, are those eased out 'lumps' on the road, devised to reduce and discourage high speeds of vehicles, while pot holes are, well, those unfortunate missing links, that reduce the road's layout, to a mere close-up shot of the moon's surface. The Government decided to record the deaths caused by potholes, speed breakers and humps on roads and came up with some disturbing facts.
Seems that last year, about 11,400 odd people died in such cases with Uttar Pradesh topping the list. Another 4,100 people were killed in crashes on stretches under repair or under construction.
The Times of India, one of the leading dailies of the Country, gives us some more mind-boggling facts on this matter. Maharashtra registered 368 deaths in crashes due to potholes, humps and speed breakers while another 224 persons died in crashes on roads under repair or under construction. According to the Road Accident Report (2014) published by the road transport and highways ministry, while 4,726 lives were lost in crashes due to humps, 6,672 people died in accidents caused due to potholes and speed breakers. Sources said the actual figure could be much higher since the data was not properly captured by local police while registering accidents and in many cases these are recorded as any other road crash. UP had the largest share with 4,455 lives lost in such accidents. In MP, 915 people died in crashes caused due to bad road conditions and in Bihar, the fatalities stood at 867. In a first, the government's transport research wing has used data detailing about a dozen road conditions to classify crashes, fatalities and injuries across states. This is one list where we'd not be happy to find our State's name charted.
Source: http://drivercult.com/2015/09/pothol...he-hole-truth/

Last edited by shyn : 8th October 2015 at 19:17.
shyn is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 31st October 2015, 17:41   #2
BHPian

Re: Now official: Speed-breakers & Potholes lead to 11,000 deaths every year

Speed breakers in our country should be called as car breakers. In India they not only reduce the speed but also break the car. Most of the time they are built so awkwardly that it forces me to give a second thought on how to cross those humongous structures. The are so high and pointy that they cost me a new exhaust pipe once. Also not to mention those potholes, for which I got my suspension repaired twice. They are almost invisible during night. No wonder we lost so many lives because of these unprofessionally built roads! I hope road condition improves in these coming days so that I can drive more concentrated on the roads then on the potholes.
Old 26th November 2015, 02:47   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyn View Post
Seems that last year, about 11,400 odd people died.
Just happened to stumble upon this thread. The figure is really eye opening, and definitely very surprising .

I have seen mostly bikers crashing after going over unmarked speed breakers, or pot holes that which are difficult to see in the shadows of the evening/night. I would also say that a huge contribution to this number must also be due to people driving on high beam at night, and blinding the oncoming traffic, therefore leading to an oversight of the speed breakers or pot hole.

A bit of searching online also brought up a break-up of further statistics of accidents in India, which would also include the number above. These numbers are from the year 2013.

Source: http://savelifefoundation.org/statistics/

Quote:
THE ROAD CRASH NARRATIVE IN INDIA
More than 10 lakh people in India have lost their lives to road accidents in the last 10 years. India has the dubious distinction of leading the world in road crash fatalities – 10% of total global road deaths occur here. In 2013 alone, almost 1,40,000 people were killed and close to 5,00,000 were seriously injured or permanently disabled.
SNAPSHOT OF INDIA’S ROAD SAFETY & EMERGENCY CARE SCENARIO:
Attached Thumbnails
Now official: Speed-breakers & Potholes lead to 11,000 deaths every year-slfstats1l.jpg  

Old 12th January 2016, 12:05   #4
Senior - BHPian

A info which I was waiting to read for sometime now. Officials, contractors etc should thanks the efficiency of our judiciary system that they are not behind bars coz of this.

A bit OT, in Kerala, a citizen asked PWD Dept what they do with the money we pay for re-tarring roads dug for sewage connection.The PWD official asked him to raise it as a complaint if needed!

I hope Rel Jio team ensures that road dug for laying cable is patched properly ( it has come off in many areas and its pretty deep).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks