Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 8th December 2015, 19:37   #181
BHPian

re: Delhi: Odd & Even numbered cars to drive on alternate days*Edit: website launched for feedback*

I am surprised that people aren't glad that the sarkar is doing something for real.
Cars are a convenience, a luxury even. They aren't a necessity, not to me at least. There are lacs of people who commute without owning a car. Why can't we do that for three days?
All of us whine about the pollution here but no one wants to step out of their air-conditioned cars and stand in metro for a while. What's more important, comfortable commute or coughing, sick living beings? What if cars didn't exist?
I have stopped using my car for about a month. Don't know what the fuss is all about. Maybe we are too selfish.

I don't think this will work though but it seems that people would have criticized even if it did.
We can pretend to be sophisticated and western but our mindset is still backwards.
Doge is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th December 2015, 19:41   #182
BHPian

re: Delhi: Odd & Even numbered cars to drive on alternate days*Edit: website launched for feedback*

Here in Bangalore, there are many who 'design' their number plates the way they want (read -Illegible!). If thats the case in delhi too, the cops would have a tough time seeing the car number and figuring out if its odd or even when it crosses them in seconds.
Old 8th December 2015, 19:57   #183
BHPian

Received this update today regarding odd even rules and shutting down of 2 power plants.

Delhi: Odd & Even numbered cars to drive on alternate days-fb_img_1449578914717.jpg

This rule is going to create many problems since there are not enough transport options available but this will also lead to people car pooling, availing company transport and etc. which otherwise was not happening. Couple of people in my office are already planning to leave their car home and avail company cabs due to this or use metro along with company shuttle.

This decision has also put the urgency to curb pollution in limelight which was otherwise not being taken seriously. And to my surprise, Noida & Gurgaon governments are doing nothing to support this move or tackle the pollution mess even though both the cities are highly polluted.

We can keep bashing the government for this not so well planned move but this also needs an applaud as for the first time, we are thinking beyond vote bank politics in the country.
rahulba is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th December 2015, 20:17   #184
BHPian

It is really sad to see what have we done to our environment! We all should realize that each one of us is equally responsible for this nightmarish scenario. Time for blame game is over , we all are responsible for this mess and we have to clean it up. So many times we see small kids using masks , old people with unrelenting cough. The air we breathe in Delhi has turned to poison. Do you know that every third child in Delhi has impaired lung function and almost every second, a person is dying due to diseases caused by air pollution. Just because one has bought a car on EMI and paid road tax does not give him the right to kill, and I mean it in every sense possible. Do you remember your childhood , the playgrounds , open air, endless running around. We are depriving our children of their basic right, clean and safe environment.
The time has run out measures to tackle pollution has to be multi-prong , check on commercial vehicles, restriction on private cars, suspension construction work during most polluted months, relocation of power plants away from the city .
Choices have to be made , choose the convenience of your car or health of your loved ones, but be sure it cannot be both ways.
Walk , run, cycle, ride a metro, bus, carpool to work or buy electric cars, choices are plenty if one is willing to try.
It has to be done and it has to be done now or our children , our old parents and we ourselves will pay the price.
Tighten your belts and lets clean up Delhi !!
mustang 99 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th December 2015, 20:42   #185
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doge View Post
I am surprised that people aren't glad that the sarkar is doing something for real.
Cars are a convenience, a luxury even. They aren't a necessity, not to me at least. There are lacs of people who commute without owning a car. Why can't we do that for three days?
All of us whine about the pollution here but no one wants to step out of their air-conditioned cars and stand in metro for a while. What's more important, comfortable commute or coughing, sick living beings? What if cars didn't exist?
I have stopped using my car for about a month. Don't know what the fuss is all about. Maybe we are too selfish.

I don't think this will work though but it seems that people would have criticized even if it did.
We can pretend to be sophisticated and western but our mindset is still backwards.
You my friend are lucky to have metro on your daily route then. Some people are not as lucky. What about them? I shall elaborate with an example:

My dad works in Gurgaon. We live in Dwarka. Metro will over 2 hours and after that further auto is needed from Huda City Center. We have only one car and it is odd numbered. Buses don't go to my dad's office area so that is ruled out. The solution is to not to go work 3 days a week? Do you think that is feasible? This is only one person's issue. Many more have the same issue.

It is not our mindset that is backward but the facilities. People are comparing this new rule to rules in other country. Have you seen their public transportation system? Buses are efficient. They do not breakdown as much. Connectivity is good. When such a transport sytem is there, people can think of leaving their cars, even willingly. But when it does not exist, how can one leave the car? And then the mindset is blamed.

They improve all the transportation connectivity issues. My dad will happily let go of his car, heck all 6 days of the week instead of the 3 days. But at this stage, he just cannot.
kisharchit is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th December 2015, 20:55   #186
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kisharchit View Post
My dad works in Gurgaon. We live in Dwarka. Metro will over 2 hours and after that further auto is needed from Huda City Center. We have only one car and it is odd numbered. Buses don't go to my dad's office area so that is ruled out. The solution is to not to go work 3 days a week? Do you think that is feasible? This is only one person's issue. Many more have the same issue.

It is not our mindset that is backward but the facilities. People are comparing this new rule to rules in other country. Have you seen their public transportation system? Buses are efficient. They do not breakdown as much. Connectivity is good. When such a transport sytem is there, people can think of leaving their cars, even willingly. But when it does not exist, how can one leave the car? And then the mindset is blamed.
I would totally agree that this is not a problem with the mindset but rather with availability of alternate transport. However, we need to decide whether a person with asthma, bronchitis etc. should suffer for life or the one's who go to office should suffer for 2-3 months. And the office goers who suffer will also benefit from clean air. Organizations running big offices also pollute so this is an opportunity for them to payback mother nature by providing transport service to their employees.

Since the govt. is also talking with private bus operators, this could lead to entry of bus services such Ola Bus and others. Things have to change at rapid pace and I believe this to be a step in right direction. We might suffer for few months but long term benefits definitely over-weigh the sufferings IMO.
rahulba is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th December 2015, 20:56   #187
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kisharchit View Post
You my friend are lucky to have metro on your daily route then. Some people are not as lucky. What about them? I shall elaborate with an example:

My dad works in Gurgaon.

My home is next to the Yamuna expressway and the nearest metro station is a 20 minute drive. Initially I felt that it's stupid to take the metro but I later decided to take my car to the station and park it there. This wasn't always possible as a lot of time the other car in my house isn't vacant and my mom has to pick my brother up so I just try to share an ola cab with someone here or take an auto. I'm pretty sure that Noida is the worse among the three NCR cities when it comes to public transport.
There has to be a way, just that you may be not ready for it.

Infrastructure isn't up to the mark but what options do we have? Smoke 30 cigarettes a day till they come up with a stronger public transportation system ( read 10 years).
I'm of the impression that we aren't aware of the gravity of the situation. Let me sum it up, it's pretty bad.
It's a matter of time before we would be forced to take all cars of road if things don't improve. Better to pull up our socks now!
Doge is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th December 2015, 21:05   #188
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doge View Post
My home is next to the Yamuna expressway and the nearest metro station is a 20 minute drive. Initially I felt that it's stupid to take the metro but I later decided to take my car to the station and park it there. This wasn't always possible as a lot of time the other car in my house isn't vacant and my mom has to pick my brother up so I just try to share an ola cab with someone here or take an auto. I'm pretty sure that Noida is the worse among the three NCR cities when it comes to public transport.
There has to be a way, just that you may be not ready for it.

Infrastructure isn't up to the mark but what options do we have? Smoke 30 cigarettes a day till they come up with a stronger public transportation system ( read 10 years).
I'm of the impression that we aren't aware of the gravity of the situation. Let me sum it up, it's pretty bad.
It's a matter of time before we would be forced to take all cars of road if things don't improve. Better to pull up our socks now!
That my friend, is a little too drastic. Cars will never be forced to be off the road. Everyone is aware of the situation going around, but there has to be an alternative for the people to use, like rahulba said. Once that is done, people will voluntarily leave their cars. I am glad you take the auto or OLA or anything to the metro and good to see you doing your part but it is still rather hard for many people is my point.
Old 8th December 2015, 21:50   #189
BHPian

To all those supporting the move, a few questions:

1. What about safety (especially females considering the number of cases reported)? Many people travel at odd hours
2. Suppose a person is going on a trip starting on Monday at noon and returning Tuesday evening, what should he do?
3. Assuming public transport is increased, it will not be so much to accommodate all people to sit on seats. Standing and going for 2 hours, is it really practical? Especially those with health issues.
4. Those who suggest car pooling, not everyone has someone staying nearby to car pool, plus you may not like the person who stays nearby. Nothing like the comfort of your own car.
5. If you suggest booking a cab, why should you pay extra for a cab when you have a car lying at home? Add to that the surplus charges at peak hours.

This move appears politically motivated. AAp came up with support of auto-rickshaw guys. This law will greatly benefit them.
SwatiS is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th December 2015, 22:12   #190
BHPian

First Off, I don't live in Delhi. This might not affect me directly and I might not know the current traffic situation there, But I feel that I can put forth certain views which might have some relevance from a general perspective.

I have been there on a few business trips in the past (most recent being 2014 Auto Expo) and frankly I'm quite amused by this awkward rule..!!

Firstly, there is a case of "actually" knowing whether or not if a car is using its real license plates. I mean, how hard is it to have differing plates made at your local shop and then fix them with a battery powered gun by your servant / chauffeur..? I say this statement boldly because, how many times is a person's car actually stopped by the cops for checking papers and then those found guilty for some motoring offense are "actually" fined..?? If one manages to drive the car following all the road rules and remain sane on the roads, then I'm pretty sure that 99.99% of the people using such tricks will continue to drive in the same fashion on a daily basis.

On the other hand, many a times, we would have all come across such instances where multiple vehicles belonging to one political party / VIP etc use multiple vehicles with the same number (at least the last 4 digits).

Secondly, since they mention "Private" vehicles, will it include the "Private" vehicles of all politicians / VIPs / Bureaucrats etc..?? Or is this just another name-sake joke on the common man (Aam Aadmi - with all puns intended).

From my perspective, here is what they should do..

1. Start re-issuing all vehicle plates with GPS trackers and IR tags for traffic cam detection. I mean, its a one time cost by the government for a long time solution. This way, anyone trying to flout the norms in any manner will get caught with proof and stringent legal actions can be taken.

2. Ensure that those who are made to leave their cars home are provided free public transportation in certain main-line arterial routes to compensate for the excess "Road Tax" collected from them. This will make it easier for people to plan their travel accordingly.

3. Government should start providing other subsidies for those following these rules effectively over a measured period (like 6-months / 1-year) Some of them could be in the form of insurance premium discounts / new car purchase discounts, waiver of toll charges in a given route or a certain value / discounted pricing of fuel (for a limited value / quantity per month, something like the "cashback" from banks and credit cards).

I think a mix of all these measures should effectively create a long term solution rather than just plain propaganda or attempting blind & brute enforcement.
Old 8th December 2015, 22:41   #191
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manoj2268 View Post
I tried going to the office via Metro today. Started out at 7am(currently on day shift starting at 9am). Reached nearest Metro Station at 720am. Change over at Kashmere gate at 750 am(already crowded) and changed over again at rajiv chowk to noida @ 810( bursting at the seams at rajiv chowk, cannot board the 6 coach, have to wait for the blue line 8 coach). I reached Noida city center at 855am, already running late, clothes disheveled and dirtied shoes. Getting out of the turnstiles is another game. Get an auto(public transport, you see)reach office at 945 and get an earful from the manager.

Comparing with driving to office which takes 50-70 min, if I start at 730am. Own Car, CNG, A/C on, favorite music , sane driving.

Which one would you prefer?

Edit: i started out for home. Lets see how much time it takes...
Have you reached home yet?
Old 8th December 2015, 23:22   #192
Distinguished - BHPian

The consensus on this thread is indicative of how thought out this whole thing is. The cops don't know what to do. The metro doesn't know what to do. The dtc doesn't know what to do. Heck, I don't know what to do, and I'm not even that badly affected. I only have to drive a 100 metres before I get to Noida!
The majority of the people are giving real time MR to the glass house dwellers. Pity that no census was called for .
Old 8th December 2015, 23:43   #193
Senior - BHPian

If someone can manage to get their hands on before and after pollution data, we can concretely decide if it's working or not. My thinking is that rather than even odd, implement stricter PUC , faster adoption of EURO 6/7, and improve Pubic transport. When people see faster/better options than cars, they'll take it.

And 15 days trial period is better. This way both the govt and public can try to adjust and see if it works or not. Let's agree to atleast try it first and then criticize it. Maybe we'll like it too.
blackwasp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2015, 23:56   #194
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwatiS View Post
Have you reached home yet?
Why yes! I did.

But only after getting my toes crushed in the rush hour metro...just in time for dinner at 915 pm. Its car for me all the way. Total amount I spent for auto and metro today was approx 250 rupees. 2 hours 45 minutes while going and approximately the same time while returning home! Its a joke!

For the same amount, I can make a round trip to the office, have some CNG left for the snack trip to the nearby kathi roll wala while returning home and make it back home before 8 15 pm.
Old 9th December 2015, 00:43   #195
Senior - BHPian

I feel many of the BHPians have not seen the video posted few pages back and are posting without proper understanding about the measures proposed by the Govt. Requesting them to do so.

IIRC few years back when the CSE and Sunita Narayan created ripples with their pesticides in Cola report, they came out with another report on high level of PM in NCR air and they primarily blamed Diesel taxis and Diesel small cars for that. During that time I think only Indica was selling in large nos. and not many choices were present. They suggested a strict control on selling of Diesel cars to private owners IIRC, but what we did is just opposite an now the results are there for everyone to see. So we can say, we earned it.
I can feel the attitude that the common man is ready to pay the medical bills in case someone from his family falls ill due to pollution but not ready to let go the comfort of a car temporarily, reason, it is not 100% sure that someone will fall ill but it's 100% sure that he will suffer by not using the car and secondly we are not used to take preventive measures, else how can one explain lack of use of helmets, for instance.

Most Viewed