Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th December 2015, 18:28   #16
BHPian

re: Delhi: Odd & Even numbered cars to drive on alternate days

Why not ban sale of diesel cars as well? Desperate times call for desperate measures. I lived in Delhi for 13 years, what really hit me one day was an article on kids lung capacity, which according to a study is 40% less than kids anywhere else in the country.

But in all honesty, I feel that there is only so much govt can do. If people don't contribute immensely to such measures and go the extra mile, then Delhi's situation will worsen.
bruiser is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th December 2015, 18:30   #17
BHPian

Re: Delhi: Vehicles with odd, even numbers to ply on alternate days

One thread is already open:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...nate-days.html

MODS: Please merge the threads.

Cheers!
Irish
Irish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2015, 18:33   #18
Senior - BHPian

How on earth are they going to implement this rule ? Are they going to fine the drivers if they are found to be driving on the wrong date ? I can imagine a long line of vehicles being pulled over for being fined adding more to the chaos.

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 4th December 2015 at 18:36.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2015, 18:33   #19
BHPian

I think there are multiple problems with this approach, some already highlighted by a few posts:

Emergency situations: What will people who have a car do irrespective of the day? We will have to see what is the fine amount for this
Will everyone have to come back by 12 am wherever they are depending on their car no
Corruption: Multiple avenues open now. RTO, traffic police etc.
More cars: People will buy a second car with a different no. plate. However, not everyone can afford this
Fake number plates: people have 2 number plates - one odd and one even
Road Tax: People will demand a reduction since they don't use the car everyday
Income: What about the income of parking attendants, toll plazas etc. This would definitely reduce
Public Transport: Is it equipped to take this additional load?
venkats2001 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th December 2015, 18:53   #20
BHPian

I was kind of expecting this to be implemented, after the car-free tuesdays concept.
If you allow only odd numbered / even numbered vehicles on road, theoretically, the number of vehicles would come down to half.

Some imagination here:
If they use the result of the below formula:
x = reminder of (registration number / 5). example: x= 3 if number is 4213.
So, effectively, vehicles can be divided into 5 large groups. Each group can be allowed to drive one day per week.
With registration of each vehicle, they categorize the car as Monday car, Tuesday car etc.

Ok, now back to reality!
Now, we have just 2 groups, each allowed to drive on alternative days.
Pretty simple isn't it? You can own two cars, take them alternatively on road!
Instead of buying a Swift Zxi, you can own two Altos, and can use them wisely!

Still we are imagining things, right? As if the law is going to be vigorously implemented, for all the days to come! First, this move will be opposed by many. Next, even if implemented, those who drive on wrong days, will pay fines to the Traffic cops and still drive on anyway.

Nothing wrong about the concept itself, it has been very effectively used in some cities. To make this a successful one in any city in India, the awareness about the available public transport has to be brought to people, and actions are to be taken to make the public transport much more efficient, frequent, and quick.

Last edited by hybridpetrol : 4th December 2015 at 18:54.
hybridpetrol is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2015, 19:09   #21
BHPian

Delhi public transport(s) are already heavily crowded especially in peak hours, in such a scenario this will only add to the plight of people who will now be 'forced' to use these services. I don't even think metros and buses have the capacity to accommodate so much crowd.

Secondly, as many of us are guessing that people will buy second car to be able to drive all the days will lead to another serious issue. PARKING issues. Many of us living in a bit crowded areas like lajpat nagar will know the pain of finding good parking spot for our cars. If people start buying an additional car this problem will only increase. In fact, many societies or building provide parking space for only one car per flat/home. In such case, people will be forced to leave car outside which is unsafe for the car.

Last edited by Piyush46 : 4th December 2015 at 19:19.
Old 4th December 2015, 19:18   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Lets not be cynical and appreciate what is a much needed step. Yes, this is rather extreme but desperate times call for desperate measures. For God's sale, the city is literally un-livable these days. All of NCR is choking.

I sincerely hope is this properly implemented and its promulgation is linked to actual AQI levels and not the whim and fancy of sarkaari babus.

PS: I am a very much a petrolhead, a pucca Dilliwala, and all of my cars are even numbered.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th December 2015, 19:29   #23
BHPian

One question to everyone who supports this.
I like the initiative, but is Delhi's infrastructure ( I mean public transport of all types) up to handling all the extra people who will supposedly forego their personal motorised transport on alternate days.
I'm not from Delhi and I confess to have never had the chance to visit our Capital but the public transport infrastructure seen in the places I have been to still doesn't inspire confidence in having seamless last mile connectivity or even connectivity in itself.

Also another question, what about people who travel at odd hours, I work in a shift that requires me to go to office at 12PM and can returns only by about 10 - 11 PM, I haven't seen public transport in my city much beyond 8:30 PM.
[Hypothetical situation below]
Suppose for some reason I am moved to Delhi, how would I get home assuming I live slightly outside the city, is the public transport available reliably at all hours?
Mine might be a unique situation but I'm just asking the question.

I wouldn't mind taking a reasonably comfortable public transport from and to my residence if I could, but currently I haven't come across that, sadly I may add.
I love driving but who wouldn't love to just be taken to and back from office not having to worry about driving through Traffic and then enjoying a good drive on the weekend.

As mentioned earlier by some people, I would rather prefer that emission norms were enforced properly for all vehicles especially our black cloud spewing commercial vehicles which wouldn't meet the stone age emission norms let alone remotely modern ones.

Once our country has reached a certain level of basic sense of civic responsibility such an initiative would probably be welcomed with open arms.

Just my 2 cents.

I know I'm being a bit ambitious, but don't we all wish that our country grows up properly.
nmenon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2015, 19:44   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

On a cheeky note. Own two cars with even and odd number plates....then add to the overloaded parking problem. The only solution is more public transport in the form of metros and buses and last mile connectivity. That NCR is the most polluted city on earth comes as no surprise. Given the extent of the problem I don't see the Govt having any alternative but to try with this new rule.

Last edited by V.Narayan : 4th December 2015 at 19:45.
Old 4th December 2015, 19:55   #25
BHPian

This has to be the most funniest statement ever heard in the recent years from government. Somebody experimenting this rule in some part of the world inspires a chaotic place like India to follow the same. haha. Who brings out these Tughluq ideas !!!! .

First improve the infrastructure (less pile up in junctions), then ban diesel cars, make more stringent emission norms, at-least give better subsidy and encourage electric cars, build up sez's and spread companies/industries across India (Anyways many IT Giants have warned that they won't develop in Bangalore till the adequate infrastructure is provided by the govt.). Do something looking at the long tern improvement.

Instead what does govt do, increase tax again and again and come up with these crazy nut ideas.

So What's the next step? To ban cars totally from entering roads? And allow only govt cars to ply.?
petrol_power is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th December 2015, 19:57   #26
Senior - BHPian

Trust our government to make dumber and dumber rules day by day. They have only few things to do for every issue. Raise taxes, ban stuff, make idiotic rules which can't be followed by public and monitored judiciously by govt itself. Rinse and repeat for each and every issue in our country.

So, to go to my office in karolbagh every day I need to have two cars with one ending with even and one with odd number. Brilliant.
Old 4th December 2015, 20:10   #27
BHPian

Stupid decision.

What do they plan to achieve by this. If someone does a carpool in a odd registration number car, he will not be allowed to travel on alternate days. So he should look for a even number registered car.

If someone has a emergency what is he supposed to do, wait for the day to get over to leave his home. This rule will make taxi owners very happy if commercial vehicles are out of its scope.
Peterf is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2015, 20:12   #28
Senior - BHPian

Time will tell that its not ok to vote blind folded sometimes. I thought these guys are educated and have some sense when designing ways to address public concern.

And what if i dont know what is Odd or Even. Will they also ensure everybody knows what is odd and what is ever.

And how exactly will you validate if i tinkered my Number plate or have two of them and keep flicking it.

As someone rightly said, need to think about how to make people take public transport and invest on those infrastructures.

Make 50% of the lane applicable only for public transport and create a congestion for people to stop taking their cars out.

Create ways that will deter people from using a car.
Old 4th December 2015, 20:18   #29
BHPian

What about people with private cars coming to tour Delhi for vacation / touring. It'll be hard on them as they will be forced to take a cab on alternate days.

Also what if people have a pressing need...e.g. going to train station or airport or some appointment and the public transport (e.g. cab etc.) they requested, do not show up or are running late. I talking about genuine cases, where people would need to take their vehicle out due to unavoidable reasons. It would be a big challenge. This could even lead to corruption at different levels.
geotracks is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th December 2015, 20:21   #30
Senior - BHPian

It is a very stupid system in my opinion.

Instead of 1 x 10 lac rupee car, I ll buy 2 x 5 lakh rupee cars (Odd/Even both)

The environmental impact of the extra cars manufactured must also be factored in.

If they want lessen use of cars, they have to improve public transport and increase car ownership costs (road tax etc).
AbhiJ is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks