Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th January 2016, 10:14   #541
BHPian

re: Delhi: Odd & Even numbered cars to drive on alternate days*Edit: website launched for feedback*

This rule is the best embodiment of the Hindi adage " padhe-likhe ko dabaana sabse aasan hai " ; loosely translated: " it is very easy to trample on the educated class !!!

They will be able to tax the middle class only, crush him too and then at the end, gaali bhi ussi ko denge !!

Last edited by BUXX : 12th January 2016 at 10:16.
BUXX is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th January 2016, 14:31   #542
Team-BHP Support

re: Delhi: Odd & Even numbered cars to drive on alternate days*Edit: website launched for feedback*

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
This is really ridiculous. Most Beemers and Mercs etc have start / stop and break energy regeneration and efficient dynamics type technology.

They should all be exempt from the rule applying this logic. I would have imagined such a benefit would be reserved for "proper" hybrids like Camry, Prius, Reva etc.
Old 12th January 2016, 16:37   #543
Distinguished - BHPian

Haven't verified it myself, but got to hear that waiting is slowly increasing on CNG cars. For Wagon R CNG, one has to wait for 8 months
Anybody bought one recently or in the process can confirm.

CNG kits and stickers are the new hot favourites in town.
Quote:
Manufacturers and distributors of CNG kits in the national capital region say they have recorded a 25-30% increase in demand in the past 10 days
Details: http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/50490505.cms
Old 12th January 2016, 18:03   #544
Senior - BHPian

"What is clear from data about sources of air pollution in Delhi is that cars are not the major polluters"
http://www.thehindu.com/opinion/op-e...?homepage=true

Odd-Even needs to be evaluated on the basis of the original objective it had set (reducing pollution) and expectedly it fails on that count.
Old 12th January 2016, 18:37   #545
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
"What is clear from data about sources of air pollution in Delhi is that cars are not the major polluters"
http://www.thehindu.com/opinion/op-e...?homepage=true

Odd-Even needs to be evaluated on the basis of the original objective it had set (reducing pollution) and expectedly it fails on that count.
Whatever is in the article has been discussed on this thread ample times.

The issue is that the government which was very objective in their decisions (at least mostly) has for some reason decided to skip data this one time and declare an interim law. This was the single most surprising factor to me about this idiotic arrangement they have put in place.

Now what is even more surprising is that they continue to claim that it has actually reduced pollution (about 30%) and even led to reduced congestion and all other indirect benefits. In fact in some interviews and articles 'reduced congestion' has taken the first spot when it comes to the benefits of this odd-even rule, diluting the primary objective behind this decision.

I'm most certain that something similar is going to come back to haunt us in near future but I'm prepared to shell out extra money and bypass this idiotic rule if made permanent.
Old 12th January 2016, 20:04   #546
BHPian

When Delhi transport minister as well as other ministers of Delhi government were being interviewed regarding odd-even rule, when asked by the intellectuals about any survey or analysis done by the concerning authorities on the basis of which this rule was being applied, they had no reports or analysis (not a single) to answer them. They kept on saying that the demo period would itself be the analysis.

Even now they are claiming some big numbers (30% decrease in pollutants) without any primary evidence to support their argument. Congestion must be considered as a factor but it could not be given first place in the list, atleast when normal living of people is being disturbed vastly.

A sudden decision or implementation of such policies which largely affects the day to day life of people are not made overnight. Proper analysis of each and everything should first take place.

Arguments made by Delhi government is reflecting their desperacy to keep the rule implemented, ignoring the actual facts and figures (results) and without judging the actual pros and cons of such a rule.

It might be possible that earlier they were thinking for the benefit of people and health of future generations. But at this point of time they are afraid politically. They are desperate to keep the rule implemented not for the sake of people now, but for the sake of their political position and to prove their upper hand in the eyes of opposition and population of Delhi.

Regards
Aakarsh
Old 19th January 2016, 08:53   #547
Distinguished - BHPian

Delhi's odd even formula set to return after March.
Quote:
government is planning to introduce the second phase of the traffic-rationing scheme after the completion of CBSE Board exams in March-April, adding that two-wheelers will, however, not come under the ambit of the next phase of the car-rationing scheme.
Quote:
it seeks to first address two major concerns related to commuting by school children and the possibility of people going for another car to circumvent the restrictions.
http://auto.economictimes.indiatimes...march/50633362

Last edited by volkman10 : 19th January 2016 at 08:55.
Old 19th January 2016, 19:30   #548
Senior - BHPian

Odd - even might be back post March of this year

http://indianexpress.com/article/cit...ute-to-school/

Items being considered:

- How to prevent folks from buying a second car and actually add to the chaos
- Parents dropping and picking up their kids from school; how would that work
- Challan amount may stay the same
- 2 wheelers probably continue to be exempted
Old 23rd January 2016, 08:40   #549
BHPian

More cars or for that matter any vehicle, means more dust flowing in air, due to the vehicles tearing through air, causing wind/air pressure to lift dust particles in the air, is what is the main reason of highest % of pollution reason and not as much as the emissions from the cars or vehicles themselves.
Old 23rd January 2016, 10:35   #550
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Haven't verified it myself, but got to hear that waiting is slowly increasing on CNG cars. For Wagon R CNG, one has to wait for 8 months
What is the CNG availability outside of Delhi - very poor to zilch. In Kanpur a queue of an hour or more is the norm. So before trying to push CNG ensure adequate confirmed availability.

I remember in 1999, despite all claims to the contrary (unleaded was available every 50 km on NHs), driving from Kanpur to Manipal in a Zen with a cat, almost forced us to use leaded. At one point we had less that 2l in the tank when we found unleaded.
Old 23rd January 2016, 11:05   #551
Senior - BHPian

It seems pollution reduced during odd even rule as per some studies: http://www.business-standard.com/art...2101432_1.html
http://www.deccanchronicle.com/curre...eme-study.html
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/50675602.cms

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
What is the CNG availability outside of Delhi - very poor to zilch. In Kanpur a queue of an hour or more is the norm. So before trying to push CNG ensure adequate confirmed availability.

I remember in 1999, despite all claims to the contrary (unleaded was available every 50 km on NHs), driving from Kanpur to Manipal in a Zen with a cat, almost forced us to use leaded. At one point we had less that 2l in the tank when we found unleaded.
It is not difficult to find unleaded fuel now and I am sure the same can be made possible for CNG availability with some willpower.
sourabhzen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2016, 19:56   #552
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
It is not difficult to find unleaded fuel now and I am sure the same can be made possible for CNG availability with some willpower.
I don't think cng is available from pumps anywhere other than a few north Indian states.
In Kolkata the alternative fuel is lpg. The courts after a lot of work were able to convert most of the auto rickshaws to lpg.
Also a small % of cars have lpg kits installed.
Don't think a swap to cng shall be easy.
Old 23rd January 2016, 22:28   #553
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
OT:

My post was for Delhi specifically. Just mentioning in case it wasn't clear. I was not talking about the whole country but just for Delhi.
Old 24th January 2016, 20:45   #554
Distinguished - BHPian

Whatever be said, the added/only benefit of this rule was the reduced congestion on the roads. Most people i talk to are ready to accept the rule again just for that reason as travelling became so much more easier on the days you could take out your car. Otherwise Delhi is eternally jammed these days.

BTW wasn't this idea proposed by the courts and the NGT or was it an out to out AAPs proposal?
Old 25th January 2016, 19:08   #555
BHPian

Jan Sabhas to decide future of odd-even rule

I'd have expected a more scientific approach to solving such an important problem (pollution). Democratizing it in such a manner is likely to skew the outcome either ways. Moreover, I'm sure this way they will have more room to manipulate outcomes in comparison to being totally fact-based.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks