Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th January 2016, 22:39   #556
Senior - BHPian

re: Delhi: Odd & Even numbered cars to drive on alternate days*Edit: website launched for feedback*

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordvader View Post
I'd have expected a more scientific approach to solving such an important problem (pollution). Democratizing it in such a manner is likely to skew the outcome either ways. Moreover, I'm sure this way they will have more room to manipulate outcomes in comparison to being totally fact-based.
Every 2-wheeler user would vote FOR it, so would women drivers, so would folks with 2 cars etc. I saw it coming and mentioned already, brace yourself for this was just a trailer, more stupid stuff is coming our way!

They wanted to curb pollution, no reliable report on that yet but since they've miraculously solved the congestion problem why not take the credit for that. It reminds me of a whatsapp joke doing round these days, "You know the good thing about winters, you don't feel hot at all!"
fine69 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2016, 15:56   #557
BHPian

Delhi Goverment launches website for odd even feedback

Hi All,

Delhi government has launched a website to collate feedback on weather people of delhi would like to see Odd-even rule to be implemented again. Below is the link for the website. Please feel free to provide your feedback.

http://220.156.188.96/OddEven/

Happy Motoring.

Last edited by noopster : 2nd February 2016 at 16:09. Reason: Moved to an existing popular thread
Old 7th February 2016, 19:33   #558
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Delhi: Odd & Even numbered cars to drive on alternate days*Edit: Round 2 from April 15th*

Delhi's odd-even scheme may return soon- decision next week.

The survey, with a February 8 deadline, will form the basis for the decision.

Delhi: Odd & Even numbered cars to drive on alternate days-50872928.jpg

Quote:
People have made various suggestions in the survey. The most popular one is ramping up the public transport infrastructure. From increasing the number of buses to putting more trains in the Delhi Metro system, the push is for public transport. Respondents have also suggested staggered office timings during the odd-even implementation. The respondents have said that the government could also request private companies to follow this.
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/50872848.cms
Old 7th February 2016, 19:55   #559
Distinguished - BHPian

So are the Indian politician making up their mind by what is popular or is any of them going by facts? To date I don't think anybody has been able to quantify the environmental effect, if any, of the previous pilot?

Jeroem
Jeroen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th February 2016, 01:29   #560
BHPian

After spending two weeks in Delhi and 3 hours in traffic driving from noida to India gate on Friday night, I agree with my driver who said that odd even must be reintroduced. Delhi metro is far better than the joke that is public transport in the rest of the country. Even your buses aren't half bad (I took multiple bus rides on the red ac buses) as the ones in Bombay.

Given a choice, if I lived in Delhi, I'd gladly take public transport to get around ad even though I'm a car and bike junkie, Delhi traffic is so appalling that it's absolutely mental to want to drive in this city.

Yesterday, I was so fed up with traffic that I got dropped off at the shivaji stadium airport metro and whizzed over the traffic on my way to the airport.
Old 8th February 2016, 14:50   #561
BHPian

re: Delhi: Odd & Even numbered cars to drive on alternate days*Edit: Round 2 from April 15th*

If traffic is what we are trying to solve then trust me, once it is introduced permanently, we'll have similar, if not same, traffic volume in another 7-8 months. Evening traffic, even during the trial period, was not much to boast about.
lordvader is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th February 2016, 15:53   #562
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Delhi's odd-even scheme may return soon- decision next week.

The survey, with a February 8 deadline, will form the basis for the decision.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/50872848.cms
They have announced this already in public gatherings. People will respond in the best way they can - buying / borrowing opposite number cars. Forget road rage, I can soon imagine parking rage - expect regular stories about people getting beaten up over parking frequently in Delhi.

Delhi will become a global case study for how people adjust their behaviors in response to mind-less legislation, with record speed. The government just underestimated the purchasing power and disposable income of Delhi NCR - and a whole generation will pay for this monumental error.

Those 2nd cars won't go away even if the scheme is scrapped!
Old 8th February 2016, 16:44   #563
Team-BHP Support

Instead of odd even, they should introduce congestion charge after phase 3 of metro is complete. That way, if somebody has an emergency to use personal car, they can pay. And to save money, many will take metro.

During odd even phase, many companies started shuttle services for people and for 20 rs they would take people from far off sectors to metro station.

Even after odd even went away, many people are still using those shuttles. A tempo traveller shuttle takes off about 10 cars off the road.

The congestion charge can also be used to develop a live bus tracking system where you just enter where you want to go using your cellphone, and you are given a planned route with bus numbers, updated real time depending on current position of buses.
tsk1979 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th February 2016, 17:00   #564
Team-BHP Support

The only idea that would work long-term is one that reduces any kind of vehicles from our roads and forces us to use alternative transport.

Ideas like these that demand some expenditure and some jugaad to get around (an Indian specialty) will only work a short while, then create a mess that won't go away for decades.
Old 9th February 2016, 10:25   #565
BHPian

Quote:
Delhi government has received over 11 lakh responses on the future of its car-rationing scheme, as the deadline for public to give their opinion on the issue ended on Monday.
Quote:
The government received the public opinion through emails, missed calls, online forms and suggestions of people whom it reached out to through interactive voice response system.
Quote:
"Around 28,300 suggestions have been received through online forms while another 9,000 and 1,82,808 have come through emails and missed called respectively. The government, on its part, has made more than 9,00,000 calls to gather public opinion," a senior government official said.
Now we will analyse the responses, he added.
Quote:
A structured questionnaire was put forth by the government on whether the scheme should be implemented again, if yes, when it should be done and for what duration among others.
Quote:
Four probable launching dates for the second phase were given - February 14, March 1, April 1 and May 1.
Quote:
The government is likely to implement the next phase of scheme after it seeks to first address two major concerns related to commuting by school children and the possibility of people purchasing another car to circumvent the restrictions.
Source

Now the wait begins before the people decide whether to buy a second car.
Old 11th February 2016, 16:25   #566
Team-BHP Support

re: Delhi: Odd & Even numbered cars to drive on alternate days *Edit: Round 2 from April 15th*

News just in... The round 2 of odd even will start April 15th, again for 15 days

Edit: Women, VIPs still exempt.

Last edited by Eddy : 11th February 2016 at 16:28.
Eddy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th February 2016, 16:49   #567
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Delhi: Odd & Even numbered cars to drive on alternate days *Edit: Round 2 from April 15th*

Great.
So those who suffer are still in the minority, ie, the single car working man going to office to a disconnected place.
Just perfect.
I wish they would, just for a trial comment, not even implementation, say that there are no exemptions. They wont be able to get away from the **** storm in a space shuttle.
Fantastic. Time to get that CNG kit. Or maybe just sell the car to my brother in Haryana who can get it re-registered.
C'mon guys. Why are you making evaders out of us?

Last edited by mayankk : 11th February 2016 at 16:55.
mayankk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th February 2016, 17:18   #568
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Great.
So those who suffer are still in the minority, ie, the single car working man going to office to a disconnected place.
Just perfect.
I wish they would, just for a trial comment, not even implementation, say that there are no exemptions. They wont be able to get away from the **** storm in a space shuttle.
Fantastic. Time to get that CNG kit. Or maybe just sell the car to my brother in Haryana who can get it re-registered.
C'mon guys. Why are you making evaders out of us?
Please. The time of those VIP's living on our tax paying money is more important than working his butt off common man. Don't kid yourself. You live in India after all.
However, this time I won't let these idiots inconvenience my work. Will use the second car to good use. Let these AAP monkeys implement it even round the clock for whole year now.
harry10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th February 2016, 20:06   #569
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
News just in... The round 2 of odd even will start April 15th, again for 15 days

Edit: Women, VIPs still exempt.

I find this whole VIP treatment in India remarkable to,say the least. If there are genuine security concerns you might have to allow for special preferential treatment. But I don't understand why VIPs get different rules for this scheme or for airport security etc.

I view it as them having utter contempt for everybody else. Especially for those holding public functions.

In my home country the Netherlands, the prime minister rides a bicycle to work ( and so does his security detail) and most members of parliament take the bus, tram or train to work.

If they drive a car they are likely to get stuck in traffic just like everybody else. If the train is delayed, they ll get to parliament late just as everybody else. And if they miss a big important debate, the media will raise question why they did not take an earlier train to allow for possible delays.

I don't consider that anything special or remarkable. That's just how I think it should be.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th February 2016, 10:29   #570
Senior - BHPian

The responsibility of Government in India is to govern people / masses. There is no concept of self governance for the Government !

The theoretical definition of VIP versus the on ground definition is totally different. A policeman (lowest possible rank) is a VIP as he can park his bike anywhere, ride without helmet, does not pay toll (if he is driving personal 4 wheeler across states)..the list is endless.

I am not too sure as to what the Delhi government is planning this time around. Is anyone in the group is aware of the changes between the Jan 16 experiment and the forthcoming Apr 16 odd-even experiment? I doubt if any transport infrastructure improvement has happened / will happen.

Recently 2 cluster bus operators have resigned from plying buses in Delhi due to perpetual loss in operations. A significant number of busses will go off road after the end of termination notice period.

April would be summer months and overcrowded public transport with / without AC would be worse compared to the winter/ January period.

God save Delhi !

Last edited by i74js : 12th February 2016 at 10:31.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks