Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th April 2016, 15:54   #586
BHPian

re: Delhi: Odd & Even numbered cars to drive on alternate days *Edit: Round 3 from Nov 13th*

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinharishi View Post
Does this rule apply to self drive rentals? If yes, which cars will be allowed on 15th April? Cars with odd or even number plates?
self drive rentals are exempted from odd-even rule.

Source: http://www.financialexpress.com/arti...l-odds/184247/
lordvader is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th April 2016, 18:04   #587
Team-BHP Support

re: Delhi: Odd & Even numbered cars to drive on alternate days *Edit: Round 3 from Nov 13th*

The state government has exempted vehicles carrying students in uniform from the restrictions. Other vehicles that will be exempted include those driven by women, vehicles running on CNG and vehicles of chief ministers of other states. The vehicles of the Delhi chief minister and other ministers will not be exempted.

For any question related to the scheme, people can call on 011-41400400.

Link to Team-BHP News Article
Aditya is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th April 2016, 18:48   #588
BANNED

One simple question.
While going, they'll see uniform and exempt. But what about while coming back?
H_Dogg72 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th April 2016, 19:47   #589
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by H_Dogg72 View Post
One simple question.
While going, they'll see uniform and exempt. But what about while coming back?
That's the exact same question which I have, how would the parents convince the cops that they had gone to drop their children. And it would be reversed in the afternoon while picking up kids from school, empty car while going to school to pickup your child/children.
Not sure how the logistics for this will work out. It's a loophole which gives a massive opportunity for exploitation.
Old 11th April 2016, 20:34   #590
BHPian

I think its a good move to go for round 2. It will be a learning curve for both commuters and government. If slowly people start adapting to it this scheme will reduce the pollution as well as traffic thus saving time and fuel.
Old 11th April 2016, 21:23   #591
BANNED

Take a newspaper and click a photo of your kid in uniform outside school seems to be the best way.

In terms of exploitation. Hmm. Officer, kid has stay back today

Quote:
Originally Posted by anubshar View Post
I think its a good move to go for round 2. It will be a learning curve for both commuters and government. If slowly people start adapting to it this scheme will reduce the pollution as well as traffic thus saving time and fuel.
I disagree. The IIT study found that smarty pants Delhi Wallas started leaving for office earlier to beat the rule. The amount of 2 wheelers also increased by a fair margin which pretty much negated any negligible benefit. Till date we don't have solid data. This is just inconvenient.

Last edited by H_Dogg72 : 11th April 2016 at 21:25.
Old 11th April 2016, 21:54   #592
Distinguished - BHPian

Remember that joke about a cop standing just across the parking at a bar's exit? Delhi ones will be standing near the school roads, waiting for people to drop off their kids leaving the safe zone.

I was reading somewhere, don't know if it's sarcasm, that one may need to drop the kid off before 8,and if it is later, parents ought to stay back. Yowza!!

Last edited by mayankk : 11th April 2016 at 21:55.
Old 15th April 2016, 10:02   #593
Senior - BHPian

I sympathize with the people who will be late or miss there work today for no fault of theirs. Not to mention the big inconvenience of roaming on roads looking for an auto or a rickshaw in this burning heat.

Someone should file a PIL asking the govt. to return 50% of our road tax when we can use the car only 50% of the days.

This idiocy can carry on happening only in India. I am quite sure people will start buying a second car now on even if they don't need it thus increasing the congestion and making this rule absolutely ridiculous.

Last edited by harry10 : 15th April 2016 at 10:03.
harry10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th April 2016, 10:57   #594
BHPian

Someone posted this on Twitter about how to tackle the issue when someone is coming back after dropping kids at school or going to pick them up at school "Parents can drop them on even days & pick them up on odd days . Problem solved "
Old 15th April 2016, 11:22   #595
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
I am quite sure people will start buying a second car now on even if they don't need it thus increasing the congestion and making this rule absolutely ridiculous.
It has increased the 'used' car prices, sure. But while buying a new car, no dealer is promising a odd or even number (DL) as these are now being allocated at random. If money can reduce this randomness, I am not sure yet.

The problem with this Govt. is, they are too much into publicity. The odd even has returned only because it earned them some brownie points the last time. Beating pollution has taken a back seat. There is no data that shows this scheme curbs pollution. Curbs congestion, sure, it does. But I doubt it would make any drastic difference in the capital's air quality.

Garbage heaps continue to be burned in colonies. Construction sites continue to remain uncovered. Workers continue to dust off the streets/pavements, increasing the PM suspended in air.
Dry Ice is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2016, 12:31   #596
Senior - BHPian

I was a supporter of this plan when this was implemented in winter when pollution levels were high. Now this has become a joke and publicity stunt. How is this scheme being touted as beneficial to public? In this hot summer and upcoming monsoon season how will people move around? In monsoon when pollution levels automatically come down why you need this scheme? Above all why is this Delhi specific scheme being advertised non stop in national channels and regional newspapers? The machine sweeping of the roads was supposed to start from April 1. Can Delhites confirm this has indeed started?
Old 15th April 2016, 15:20   #597
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Remember that joke about a cop standing just across the parking at a bar's exit? Delhi ones will be standing near the school roads, waiting for people to drop off their kids leaving the safe zone.

I was reading somewhere, don't know if it's sarcasm, that one may need to drop the kid off before 8,and if it is later, parents ought to stay back. Yowza!!
Be ready for 'Uber for hiring kids in uniform for your return journey' or some such ingenious jugaad. Mindless thoroughly inconvenient regulation invites cheeky compliance (like the recent XUV engine size reduction!), and no one can beat us Indians at this game.
phamilyman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th April 2016, 17:36   #598
BHPian

Calling this scheme a success on the basis of less cars on roads is illogical. They are dissuading people by imposing such a steep fine and then publicising it as people are following the scheme out of free choice. The true test would be do away with the fine and then see if people abide by it or not.
lordvader is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2016, 19:20   #599
Distinguished - BHPian

Monday is going to be a test for everyone as I just read that all regular non app based taxis and autos have called for strike on Monday in Delhi to meet their demands of banning the app based cab services. So you either choose to take leave from work, pay a 2k Rs fine or pay sky high Uber surge prices. Ofcourse it applies to only odd numbered car owners since Monday is 18th.
Old 18th April 2016, 13:29   #600
BHPian

This is tantamount to taking the ridiculous to a whole new level. People's commitments and convenience are being damned at the cost of visibility for a self-righteous man. I completely agree with the post that says "Do away with the fine, and then let's see if Delhi-ites comply".

Forcing people to take public transport (which is not easily available, as I witnessed today) is no answer. And finally, this entire Odd-Even was started "to curb pollution". When did it turn into a de-congestion drive, and who decides which government can nonchalantly change labels and/or taglines and then heap up the token visibility as a sign of success.

I have a Skoda Laura and a Skoda Yeti, both odd-numbered. I paid over Rs 4 lacs as Road Tax for these two cars. And now, I have to haggle with a Meru who overcharges, or pray for an Ola or Uber which are scantily available for the last few days?

Where is fairness of governance?

This, pardon the language, is as nonsensical and a misuse of power as it is preposterous and self-defeating...
rajeevn is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks