Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd April 2016, 13:23   #616
BHPian

re: Delhi: Odd & Even numbered cars to drive on alternate days *Edit: Round 3 from Nov 13th*

More and more people have got their cars converted into CNG. A lot many are on the fringe and will either convert their cars into CNG cars or buy an old car with a number that suits them in the eventuality of a third odd even being thrown at them.

So, if we have another round of odd-even in the near future, that would be the death-knell for any future scheme like this.

We know that the Bolivia experiment failed for similar reasons. Sadly, the Government did not want to learn any lesson from the failed experiment of Bolivia. The real pain of this experience has to be borne by the middle-class that uses cars to commute from home to school or office.

The Delhi Government should accept that this is a flawed scheme and build a team based on public-private partnership model to try and arrest growing pollution in Delhi. Everybody knew that the first round of odd even did not make any changes to pollution levels and hence the Government changed its tune and the goal post by claiming that it reduced overall congestion !!!
rdhawan15 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2016, 19:18   #617
Senior - BHPian

Is there any news regarding odd-even returning again? Or the scheme would be scrapped!
Old 29th April 2016, 16:19   #618
BHPian

re: Delhi: Odd & Even numbered cars to drive on alternate days *Edit: Round 3 from Nov 13th*

Although I don't belong to Delhi, just came across this news link so posting it here. Dont know how authentic is the survey.

"Make Odd-Even scheme permanent - Says most Delhites"

http://indiatoday.intoday.in/story/m.../1/654945.html

Last edited by Prafful_Rathod : 29th April 2016 at 16:22.
Old 29th April 2016, 16:27   #619
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prafful_Rathod View Post
Although I don't belong to Delhi, just came across this new link so posting it here. Dont know how authentic is the survey.

These surveys have no meaning at all. The car ownership in Delhi is close to 200 per 1000. Most of the people with out car will obviously favor the scheme. They may even want a total ban on cars. So if you pose such a question to the public it is not surprising to see 60% favoring the scheme. The agency should ask the question to the car owners and report the results.
Old 29th April 2016, 16:42   #620
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
These surveys have no meaning at all. The car ownership in Delhi is close to 200 per 1000. Most of the people with out car will obviously favor the scheme. They may even want a total ban on cars. So if you pose such a question to the public it is not surprising to see 60% favoring the scheme. The agency should ask the question to the car owners and report the results.
To add to that, a 'no' as a response is not accepted. I tried selecting that option in the Delhi govt. survey before the second phase and they did not allow me to vote, till I selected 'yes'.

Also with AAPs spent on advertisement, I'm sure they are one of the key clients for the any type of media, need I say more!
Old 29th April 2016, 17:20   #621
BHPian

Hi All, There is news that all diesel passenger vehicles (read taxis/office cabs etc) will not be allowed to ply on NCR roads w.e.f 1st May.Apparently this a supreme court order which was to come in place in April however got deferred till May. Does anyone has any details on this.
Mods: Please remove if the post is not apt for this thread
Old 30th April 2016, 06:51   #622
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkanile View Post
Hi All, There is news that all diesel passenger vehicles (read taxis/office cabs etc) will not be allowed to ply on NCR roads w.e.f 1st May.Apparently this a supreme court order which was to come in place in April however got deferred till May. Does anyone has any details on this.
Mods: Please remove if the post is not apt for this thread
Yes, it is correct and applicable for all passenger commercial vehicles. (not sure they can do this for buses... Haryana tourism buses! if not, what's the use! (of course take down the easy targets is the only rule in India)

Why it wasn't implemented on time i.e. 1 April? My conspiracy theory: this implementation was delayed so that there are no protesters for odd-even rule. The targeted class for odd-even with private cars will never go out in the sun on the road to protest. So the scheme is a success by that measure.

This rule like all others is not thought through as well, nothing new though!
Old 30th April 2016, 14:47   #623
BHPian

#oddevendobara is a colossal failure by all accounts. Last time, it reduced traffic, this time we saw high degree of non-compliance. Long traffic snarls were everywhere and traffic police was helpless and had no option to let the non-compliant vehicles go. I am not sure why newspapers didn't report the extent of it's failure.
Some other political parties were also trying to sabotage it even further with Auto strikes and burning of waste.

Our Yugpurush is more of an activist than a chief minister. The only but quite significant benefit of this odd-even activism is that people of Delhi are becoming aware of the scale of the problem of pollution. People who haven't stayed in any other cleaner cities for long times consider Delhi pollution level normal, despite so many of them have some or other kinds of pollution related allergies.
Old 30th April 2016, 15:22   #624
BHPian

If the goal is to reduce pollution, then the Government knows that cars are not the culprit and hence their approach is flawed.

If the goal is to reduce congestion, there are better ways to achieve that goal.

If the goal is to use divisive politics and play to the masses, then the Government may succeed in its attempts by claiming success on the basis of surveys and studies conducted on a sample size of a thousand people.

The problem is that Government is confused as to what does it want. Unless we have a well defined goal, such schemes will continue. Eventually, these schemes have a shelf-life and the third odd-even may be a bigger failure and so would be the subsequent odd even schemes.

What we need is:

a) Bus services that make sure that no passenger has to wait beyond 5 minutes for a bus.

b) Last mile connectivity stretching up to 2 kms from each bus stop to residential colonies and societies.

c) Building dedicated corridors for buses on the main ring road of Delhi. This could be an elevated corridor, wherein only buses would ply on them.

d) Delhi Metro coverage needs to increase. Apart from this, frequency of metro trains and number of coaches could be augmented to boost passenger handling and carrying capacity.

We need to augment the public transport infrastructure.

Sadly, the Government is said to have spent 100 crores on this odd-even during the past one month or so. The cost of a 5 kilometre flyover that took 4 years to construct was 175 crores. So, is odd even really the well thought of use of public money? I mean, we could have constructed an elevated road for about 3 kilometres using the same money.

I am not even talking about the money people have had to donate to the OLAs and the UBERs and the Auto-rickshaws. On top of this, OLAs and UBERs ran merrily on Diesel and Auto-rickshaws are maintained to such an extent that you cannot stand behind one on a traffic light.

So, the bottom-line is that we need GOALS and ACTION PLANS with a vision for next 25 years. And, the GOALS need to remain GOALS for times to come, rather than becoming sacrificial goals in the game of politics.
Old 30th April 2016, 20:06   #625
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prafful_Rathod View Post

The sample size was 1000 for a city like Delhi, and especially when it impacts even the people living in adjoining states. On one hand such surveys are being published, on the other there are no news items lambasting the nonsensical scheme. Now I know why the ad budget was a whooping 500cr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdhawan15 View Post
If the
So, the bottom-line is that we need GOALS and ACTION PLANS with a vision for next 25 years. And, the GOALS need to remain GOALS for times to come, rather than becoming sacrificial goals in the game of politics.
Nothing will change. This is a new brand of divisive politics. I'm sure they have enough proof to discontinue the scheme but they are still going ahead with it. So much so that the news of its becoming a permanent feature from Sep are doing rounds.

Let's say if congestion is to be solved, then why are cabs, taxis given a free run. So you are basically removing private cars from roads and bringing cabs in their place. I saw more cabs this time round and they were not necessarily registered in Delhi or even NCR.

They are forcing car owners to forego their cars and instead rely on autos and cabs, etc. Public transport is a sham and it is not going to change anytime soon, especially while travelling from adjoining cities to Delhi. So if you can afford a car then you can surely pay to work around this mess. And in the meantime, certain service providers are benefited which in turns benefits the govt.

Last edited by lordvader : 30th April 2016 at 20:08.
lordvader is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th April 2016, 20:18   #626
BHPian

Here is my summary of these 15 days, I travel daily from Noida to Gurgaon with major part being in Delhi, on non odd even days I use to take anything between 1.30 to 2 hours in the evening but during the odd even phase specially during the second week I was saving a good 20-30 minutes daily in the evening which clearly shows that traffic has decreased substantially. Thus, decreasing pollution levels as well to a certain extent. A thumbs up from my side to make this scheme permanent. Will be a success in the long run surely.
Old 30th April 2016, 20:33   #627
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anubshar View Post
Here is -----snip----ess in the long run surely.
So this is driving on odd even both, or cabs?
Cabs typically are faster than own cars.
Old 30th April 2016, 20:38   #628
BHPian

Quote:
Here..the long run surely.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
So this is driving on odd even both, or cabs?
Cabs typically are faster than own cars.
So was this more than last time or less than last time?
Old 30th April 2016, 22:47   #629
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordvader View Post
So was this more than last time or less than last time?
When compared to last time it was less and this time around I could feel the effect more only in the second week of trial.
I commute by office cab.
anubshar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2016, 23:57   #630
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

When compared to last time it was less and this time around I could feel the effect more only in the second week of trial.
I commute by office cab.
So, it doesn't impact your travel planning in any manner. The commute manner is the same, just more convenient because people like us have been forced off the road.

Phase 3 has been scheduled tentatively for June July now? Again, 85% population is exempted, supposedly. This is becoming a royal pain in the authorized service station.
mayankk is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks