Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 7th December 2015, 04:34   #121
Senior - BHPian

re: Delhi: Odd & Even numbered cars to drive on alternate days

The plan is not just odd-even, a lot of other initiatives are being worked upon too. As always, our media either trivialises or sensationalises. There is no hope of a rational discussion or reporting. Go through this video

extreme_torque is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th December 2015, 04:40   #122
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avdhesh15 View Post
Utter nonsense. Banning private vehicles (which IMO aren't major contributors to pollution) isn't going to help. Ban the major culprits, i.e. trucks, old vehicles etc to start with rather than this unpractical and unimplementable step.

Does this seem like a strategy announced to take the spotlight away from the other happenings in the Delhi parliament?
Forget numbers and stats that you have been fed, I want to ask you how is it not? On an average day just look how many private vehicles are on the roads vis a vis a bus or even an auto. The occupancy is an issues too.
As someone said earlier, with the kind of population we have, we cannot afford everyone having a car or a personal vehicle. What do you think all this particulate matter in the air does to the children? Even if it is not convenient, atleast we should make an effort, start and see how it works? If it doesn't work, work on things which don't and suddenly it is not as painful as we thought it would be. We have to make a start atleast.
Old 7th December 2015, 07:55   #123
BHPian

Implementation would definitely be a huge challenge. Given the high number of vehicles, the odds of actually being penalized are low. It's a matter of numbers game. Even if booked, the price people would pay is bound to be meagre for majority. Spreading awareness regarding the new rule will take its fair share of time. Assuming everything falls into place, I would not rule out the possibility of some people being sly and switching fake number plates on an alternate basis.

These are a few points to consider before actually implementing the rule. Although I'm extremely optimistic, it will be interesting to note how things take course.
Old 7th December 2015, 09:37   #124
Distinguished - BHPian

Delhi govt allots days: Odd-numbered cars to run on Monday, Wednesday and Friday while even-numbered vehicles will run on the other days - Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday

Effective Jan 01 2016 on a trial basis, the government would discontinue the move after 10 to 15 days if people faced problems.

http://auto.economictimes.indiatimes...riday/50070860

Last edited by volkman10 : 7th December 2015 at 09:40.
Old 7th December 2015, 10:13   #125

It's a real conundrum. What method will work or not work, only time can tell.

However, i can think of a nice way to do our bit. Why don't we car pool ? I live in Kolkata, yet every time i take my car out in peak hours ( which i religiously avoid), I see around 80% cars either having 1 occupant or one passenger who is being driven to work. Why can't people coordinate. (reminds of the comic strip Blondie and the protagonist Dagwood Bumstead)

Imagine, if all the school buses go off the road and each and every student comes in a car. Same principle. Encourage people to carpool. Instead of banning cars based on number plates, why don't we ban cars based on it's passengers ?

Let's face it. Public transport in India, is ages away from being comfortable or even convenient. Personally i prefer the London congestion charge system. It works in my opinion. Those who really need the car wouldn't mind paying and leave the roads free for public transport. Those who feel the pinch take the public transport or carpool.

The problem is, we still associate a car with being affluent. Take away that exclusiveness by forcing people to carpool.
Old 7th December 2015, 10:23   #126
Senior - BHPian

Very interesting solution and keen to know the results. But personally, I feel congestion charge and toll during peak traffic would be more effective.
Old 7th December 2015, 10:43   #127
Senior - BHPian

If you analyse the pollution figures of some areas in Delhi, some startling facts stand out. Here is the link for the real time pollution data for Anand Vihar supposedly one of the most polluted areas in Delhi.
http://www.dpccairdata.com/dpccairda...w15MinData.php
One can see the main problem is the Particulate Matter < 10 µg. If you go through the line graph on the right side for the particulate matter, you will be surprised to see the figure peaking at around 10PM on a Sunday night.
http://www.dpccairdata.com/dpccairda...r10&graph=Line
Does this mean the major pollutant is something else other than personal cars?

Last edited by poloman : 7th December 2015 at 10:51.
poloman is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 7th December 2015, 11:18   #128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMariner View Post
Imagine, if all the school buses go off the road and each and every student comes in a car. Same principle.
In case of school, the destination (to school) or source (from school) is same, timings match and hence it works. If source & destinations are different, start times are different, then it is difficult to coordinate.

If most of the self driven cars have single occupant, so are the taxis & 2 wheelers. Just imagine try to fill 4 seats of taxi to be efficient or getting a pillion rider for the vacant seat of a 2 wheeler.
Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
Does this mean the major pollutant is something else other than personal cars?
Most private cars' emission are well within the limits. Odd/even rule will reduce the congestion by taking around 20~30% cars off road. Some might buy a 2 wheelers for the days when they cannot take the car. Not sure how much the pollution will come down.
msdivy is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2015, 11:48   #129
BHPian

I personally dont think that this rule will help at all in pollution or in managing traffic. People will buy 2nd cars like Nano or 2nd hand alto's. I dont think they have a choice given the dire state of the public transport system in Delhi.. Security is another concern.

Simple( may not be that simple) solution is to strengthen the public transport system. If there are buses in good condition,in better frequency, covering important destinations people like me would prefer to use the buses than driving own vehicle. Also strengthening the metro will help a lot.

I see this as a huge benefit in Mumbai where the BEST buses and local trains carry bulk of the passengers, thus lot lesser vehicles on the road, given the population Mumbai has. Also i think the road infra is an issue in cities that have grown faster than the infrastructure. Our politicians are busy minting money on land deals and complex's with no plan on growing the infrastructure.
Similar problems like Delhi exist in Bangalore, Pune too.

I think Mumbai was blessed with the better planning by the British regime to have a lot wider roads and railway infrastructure in place before Independence. Some how the drive for infrastructure has held through post independence too. the rail and BEST both have started to crumble now though. Would be interesting to see if these can hold through or will crash in near future.

Last edited by ShaileshHinge : 7th December 2015 at 11:50.
ShaileshHinge is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2015, 12:22   #130
BHPian

Drastic actions to mitigate climate change are obviously needed. This one is highly visible, symbolic and appeals to politicians. But I am not sure that, by itself, it will make a lot of difference
- Delhi needs safer roads before vulnerable populations (women, children, differently abled) can be trusted on them by themselves, 24x7. All parents know this angst. This needs more security, and public transport till the last mile.
- Different transport options at different price points and levels of luxury. I doubt anyone will leave his C segment sedan to ride a jalopy of a bus. We need cheap buses for the common man as well as luxury buses/ wider metro reach to tempt people away from cars
- Public transport at "predictable times" and "at all hours". If I know, or even suspect, that there wont be any public transport when I return from office at 11 PM, I WILL take my car, however convenient public transport is. Its further aggravated for women, who need to be doubly careful of safety as well. That means authorities need to run empty buses, if need be. Ergo- higher fares, or higher taxes !! I hope well meaning Delhiites are prepared for that.

In fact, I would challenge and say that part of the remedy lies in encourage "work from home" and telecommuting. Not every role, in every company, needs to be physically present in office every day. Working from home is a win-win solution. Of course, irregular electricity is a fly in that ointment :-(
Contrapunto is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th December 2015, 12:50   #131
Distinguished - BHPian

My own belief is that apart from the sheer volume, those same vehicles spending 4-5 times their expected durations on the road are also responsible for pollution.If i am burning more fuel, with thousands of other vehicles, its bound to have an effect.
Enforcement is highly necessary.
Is the PUC implemented? Are traffic rules implemented?
Anybody remember the days of the CWG? Each and every vehicle was in lane, driving well, but there was a complete lack of bottlenecks. Why? Because there was the immediate hammer of a 2k fine coming down the second somebody crossed the figurative and literal line. That level of enforcement is possible IN REAL TIME. Why cant it be done for PUC and fitness? Because on a project basis, its easier for authorities to work at a 100%, knowing that at the end, they can go back to putting in 30% as per the norm.
Pure laziness.

Heck, I am all for cleaner air. I do my part. All my vehicles clear their PUC, and if they dont, they are brought up to a stage where they do. But I see people running around spewing black and white, clearing their PUC with utter ease. They'll just buy another clunker to meet the odd-even brutality, continue spewing monday to wednesday.
In the meantime, I am stuck in a bus or an auto, which itself is a smoke wagon, slowly bringing down my own productivity and health. The future generation has a right to clean air, as they have a right to be brough up and fed, which is not going to happen if Pa got laid off cos he cant get to work on time.
Is that fair?
Am I not paying enough taxes for the government's and police's salary for them to do what they're paid to do? But that is too much to expect, because its in their blood now to be lazy.

People pitch in with Beijing. Do read up on what Beijing did BEFORE it implemented the rule.

Is there a reasonable point to point system available that doesn't throw me in a general 3km radius circle to fend for myself?
Is that system so underutilized that people have to be forced onto that system?
As far as I know, the metro is fit to burst beyond capacity.
Have you done something about the commercial traffic?
Have you done anything about road planning?
Have you done anything at all about PUC?
Anything about incorrect driving which causes a ripple effect, causing jams?

I am pissed not because I will have to formulate some jugaad for 3 days in a week.
I am pissed because I am again being screwed by a system which operates in its own privileged shell again. What is the point of living in the black when you're constantly being held to ransom repeatedly?

PS: Not blowing figurative smoke. Heres what a commute without the car would take in OPTIMAL conditions. The drive time, half an hour.
Attached Thumbnails
Delhi: Odd & Even numbered cars to drive on alternate days-woah.jpg  

Last edited by mayankk : 7th December 2015 at 13:03.
mayankk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th December 2015, 13:09   #132
BHPian

Re: Delhi Traffic/Pollution Control.Odd and Even numbered vehicles to be allowed on alternate days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nithesh_M View Post
Such a shame that at a time when there are so many reports confirming alarming levels of pollution, the greed of a few people is already outweighing the needs of the many out there whose kids are suffering due to the long term effects of pollution. Instead of helping the govt to curb pollution, people are shamelessly supporting buying a second car and bribing RTOs for number plates now? Wow. Pathetic.
With due respect to you, I would like to differ with your viewpoint.

- If you have your own business and are meeting clients through the day, you cannot run your business through bus or Metro.
- Try planning a ride to office on a DTC bus. You will be on time on a few lucky days.
- If you are the one who drops your child to the school everyday, what do you suggest especially when the School Bus does not cover the area? I am not the one who supports school vans in any case.
- And, sitting in Mangalore, you would not have had a chance to ride peak hour Metro from Dwarka to Noida. Your viewpoint may change after going through the experience of a jam-packed Metro.

Now, having said this, I also want things to CHANGE.

Before the Government comes up with such plans, at a bare minimum it should have:

- Doubled the bus fleet at the least
- Increased Metro coverage in Delhi
- Increased passenger carrying capacity on existing routes of Metro
- Setup cycling zones and lanes through the city

Without adding anything to the infrastructure to support greener commuting, how can you just pass an order rendering the cars useless for 3 days?

In such circumstances, what should be done? Should one stop doing business or should one bear the cost of this Government decision and buy an alternative car/two-wheeler to sustain their living?
rdhawan15 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th December 2015, 13:29   #133
BHPian

Re: Delhi Traffic/Pollution Control.Odd and Even numbered vehicles to be allowed on alternate days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Is the PUC implemented? Are traffic rules implemented?
Because there was the immediate hammer of a 2k fine coming down the second somebody crossed the figurative and literal line.
..All my vehicles clear their PUC, and if they dont, they are brought up to a stage where they do...
...In the meantime, I am stuck in a bus or an auto, which itself is a smoke wagon, slowly bringing down my own productivity and health. ..
Am I not paying enough taxes for the government's and police's salary for them to do what they're paid to do? But that is too much to expect, because its in their blood now to be lazy.
Can't agree more. I seriously doubt the Pollution Control tests, as lots of taxis and ill maintained buses and trucks emit black fumes that turns a clear sky to black gloomy environment in no time. How safe is the air for us or our children taking public transports (without AC).
Is the new law going to stop these craps on road? No.

It would only make the life of traffic department easier, without the need of any innovation in traffic control system. So, I would request the Authority to please stop the circus in the name of Environment protection which is just a showoff.

Remove the polluting vehicles from the road, enforce strict traffic rules and lane discipline, educate the drivers and the pedestrians on the road of the rules and guidelines and see the difference.

Off topic:
Regarding the disregard of traffic rules in the current situation, please see the posts from BHPian Deathwalkr and myself here:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ml#post3862115

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ml#post3862701

Amazing is the fact that similar attitude is exhibited in two distant corners of the country. When I told the guilty driver (in the next signal) that I would post the video in Kolkata Traffic Police FB page, he simply laughed off. After posting the video, 4 days have passed but there is no response from KP. Now I understand why the driver laughed.
gearhead_mait is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2015, 13:42   #134
BHPian

re: Delhi: Odd & Even numbered cars to drive on alternate days*Edit: website launched for feedback*

I was never for the government deciding how the citizens should adjust when the government is itself not playing its due part in facilitating its citizens get better public amenities.

Now people will say that at least they are trying something. Fine. Point taken, but is it assured that of those people whose cars will be off the roads due to having a specific number plate will get alternative means of transport ? I don't think so. Knee jerk reactions like these do not achieve anything other than harassing the general population. And given the penchant of the current government for U-turns, I will not be surprised if this move is abruptly halted.

Improve public transport - and by improve I do not mean provide better buses or ac buses, rather I mean provide seamless connectivity and optimum frequency of those buses. A commuter hard pressed for time will drive his own vehicle rather than change 2-3 buses when he is not sure of getting even the first bus on time.

People are ready to use public transport, most will be happy given the stress of driving a car/bike in the city nowadays. Some might want to switch to using bicycles and the only thing that can be done by the establishment is to facilitate and provide the set up which will really ease the daily commute and in turn reduce congestion and pollution.
Old 7th December 2015, 13:52   #135
Senior - BHPian

re: Delhi: Odd & Even numbered cars to drive on alternate days*Edit: website launched for feedback*

This step will actually pave ways for higher corruption.
Anyways, does it matter to a CM who has increased the salaries of his MPs exponentially from Rs. 40K per month to Rs. 400K per month

What this will effectively do is increase the no. of vehicles per family.

1) Increased small car sales
2) Increased pre owned car sales
  • Our monthly sales chart may see some movement in the Altos, Wagon Rs and the Nanos.
  • We may see a lot of CH number plates in Delhi. After all, Chandigarh is a heaven for used car buyers
  • There will be bribes in the RTO and they are sure to have a gala time
  • The Hero motorcycles will see a good rise
End of the day, the choking continues this way or the other.
BTW, I hope the Kali Peelis are not in this gamut.

Else, they bleed to death while many make it merry!!!

Most Viewed