Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th December 2015, 15:48   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Delhi: Odd & Even numbered cars to drive on alternate days

Just saw this news breaking. The concept of 'Odd-Even' numbered vehicles on alternate days is going to be implemented in Delhi. I guess this is the first time that there is an implementation of such a restriction in India. The restriction is from Jan 1st 2016. Would be interesting to see how this this can be enforced. To me it sounds like a very difficult thing to enforce. It is also not clear (at least from the below article) as to the areas this rule is going to apply to. Seems to be more of a knee-jerk reaction based on criticism from NGT and the Delhi High Court.

Quote:
Under fire over rising pollution in Delhi and the lack of a concrete plan to tackle it, the Arvind Kejriwal government has announced that private vehicles with odd and even registration numbers will be allowed on the roads of the national capital only on alternate days starting next month.

This means that from January 1, 2016, if vehicles with number plates ending with an odd number can be driven one day, only those ending with an even number can be brought out the next day. This will not apply to public vehicles.

Did some quick background study:

Traffic engineering has developed a number of strategies to alleviate the problem of traffic volume and congestion. Road space rationing, development of public transportation, vehicle quota system, and congestion pricing are leading strategies used worldwide to manage traffic congestion.

The odd- even concept is a part of 'Road Space Rationing': Odd-even number plate control is a simple mechanism to operate. According to Licence Plate Rationing Evaluation Report, the three most enduring implementation of road space rationing are in Mexico City, Mexico; Bogota, Columbia; and Sao Paulo, Brazil. The objective of this strategy is to reduce vehicle emission. In the short-term, all of these cities experienced positive results; however, the long term results were significantly different for Mexico City and Sao Paulo. Mostly, road space rationing is a temporary solution to enhance effective traffic flows.

To reduce traffic congestion and enhance smoother traffic, different countries have implemented different strategies. For instance, Sweden, England, and Singapore have implemented congestion pricing strategy to manage traffic congestion whereas countries like Columbia, Mexico, China, and Brazil have implemented rationing strategies.

Beijing had implemented this strategy in the past but now restricts it to specific time periods (bad pollution levels, large events etc..)

Source: NDTV

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 4th December 2015 at 16:00.
Rajeevraj is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 4th December 2015, 15:55   #2
BHPian

re: Delhi: Odd & Even numbered cars to drive on alternate days

Odd-Even is for whole Delhi or just some roads?
I will feel cheated if I am not allowed to drive the car for half number of days in a lifetime after paying "Life Time Tax" valid for 15 years. May be they should ask us to pay only half the road tax? No?

I expect the money I pay as road tax to be used for making road/facilities and improving public transport.

Its one thing to opt for public transport for a paticular journey and a completely different thing to be "forced" to give up on the car (for which I paid thru the nose) just b'ca its even/odd numbered.

Last edited by freedom : 4th December 2015 at 15:57.
freedom is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 4th December 2015, 15:59   #3
BHPian

Are taxi cabs considered public vehicles? If not, this would be a disaster for taxi owners - especially those owning just one car. Their earnings will straight away come down by 50%. Maybe they would exempt yellow-plated vehicles from this restriction.

Not sure how feasible this is. I don't think it would see the light of the day. There is going to be stiff resistance from all quarters of the society.
venuvedam is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th December 2015, 16:00   #4
BHPian

I have a feeling this could increase corruption in the already corrupt RTO issuing registration number for the vehicles. For example, a person having an odd numbered car is likely to bribe and get an even numbered plate for his second car so that he can drive on all days.
super.cars is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th December 2015, 16:02   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom View Post
Odd-Even is for whole Delhi or just some roads?
I will feel cheated if I am not allowed to drive the car for half number of days in a lifetime after paying "Life Time Tax" valid for 15 years. May be they should ask us to pay only half the road tax? No?

I expect the money I pay as road tax to be used for making road/facilities and improving public transport.

Its one thing to opt for public transport for a paticular journey and a completely different thing to be "forced" to give up on the car (for which I paid thru the nose) just b'ca its even/odd numbered.
Extraordinary situations demand extraordinary measures. People have to decide now whether their children's health and future are important or their cars. These are small compromises for larger good. Now in households with two cars there will be a rush to get opposite numbers.
poloman is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 4th December 2015, 16:06   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
Extraordinary situations demand extraordinary measures. People have to decide now whether their children's health and future are important or their cars. These are small compromises for larger good. Now in households with two cars there will be a rush to get opposite numbers.
Yes Poloman I agree.

Just to set the record straight.
I cycle to work 2 days a week.
I do care for the environment, but honestly this bike commute is for "my" own good. I get automatic workout/contribute to reducing pollution and congestion.
I do it b'ca its efficient to commute on a bicycle time wise. I do it because I "like" to do it.
I will not like to do it if someone "forces" me to do it.

People will give up the car if you give them a choice or make a valid emotional appeal.

"Give up LPG" is/was a great initiative. The ads clearly told you why you should give up the subsidy and who will benifit from it.

Delhi pollution board/NGT needs a similar message/story.
freedom is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 4th December 2015, 16:10   #7
Team-BHP Support

I wonder if this will result in people buying a second car (or a bike if they can't afford another car). Finding an odd/even number plate combination in the pre-owned car/bike market should not be a problem.
SmartCat is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th December 2015, 16:33   #8
BHPian

I actually support this move.
I have had cold now for 15 days that refuses to improve despite all forms of medications and I am tired.

Its better to use public transport, carpool or other means than to kill ourselves.
And yes, I stay close to NH8 so I do hope government is doing adequate work to keep those trucks out of Delhi as well.We should have done that 20 years ago.
avingodb is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th December 2015, 16:49   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
I wonder if this will result in people buying a second car (or a bike if they can't afford another car). Finding an odd/even number plate combination in the pre-owned car/bike market should not be a problem.
This is exactly what I think will happen.

You might take a Toyota off the road, but you might add a Volkswagen to it!

Doesn't help pollution levels, does it?

People will buy cheaper, less efficient cars and then bribe the RTO to ensure they have one odd numbered car and one even numbered car. People with a City might get a Swift. People with a Swift might get an Alto. People with an Alto might get a Nano. People with a Nano might buy another one.

This article is a good read:
http://www.theguardian.com/cities/20...-air-pollution

If pollution is the real concern, banning lorries from the city during peak hours will bring down pollution levels considerably. They are hopelessly maintained and just sit in traffic while spewing pollutants without a care in the world. And also maintain strict PUC checks while ensuring the test centers also run the tests well. These are stop-gap measures that will just collapse within themselves in due time.

Last edited by ashwin.terminat : 4th December 2015 at 17:08.
ashwin.terminat is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 4th December 2015, 17:01   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avingodb View Post
I actually support this move.
Did you really think about all the pros/cons of this move before making this statement?

Have you gone through the statistics that if govt. stopped bigger vehicles (which flout PUC norms) from entering Delhi, how drastically it would reduce pollution?

Wouldn't having better & stricter PUC checks make more sense? Wouldn't proper challaning of polluting vehicles work better?

Or are you of the same mindset that if one can't implement the right thing, then lets do whatever can be implemented right?

This move can never ever be implemeted, period!
fine69 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th December 2015, 17:03   #11
BHPian

India's transport infrastructure is in a sordid state of affairs. From the condition of the roads, to weirdly aligned toll plazas, and zero maintenance of roads. Newly developed towllages (town + villages) are the worst in the heap. Like Gurgaon. Dust is prevalent and the roads are embedded in the pot-holes vs. the other way round. Add to that, the noise pollution because all of us are Billy-the-kid horn happy. A small commute out on the road renders one with a headache, makes it mandatory to shampoo your hair after the drive, and a gnawing mental agony. Those are the after affects of our bad road "situation".

The odd numbered approach will tackle which of the above..? Plus, people will just drive more rashly with less density. Which I doubt will decrease. People will buy both format cars.
Old 4th December 2015, 17:27   #12
Senior - BHPian

Considering the relationship between the state government and Delhi Police, I doubt the Police will ever try and enforce such law. They will come up with many excuses (like man power) against implementing this rule. It can be implemented only if it is ordered by the courts.

Last edited by sourabhzen : 4th December 2015 at 17:29.
sourabhzen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th December 2015, 17:41   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

The Delhi Police has already called it an impractical idea. Also this rule applies for vehicles coming in from other states.

Quote:

This will not apply to public vehicles, CNG driven buses, taxis and auto-rickshaws but will cover vehicles entering Delhi from other states too.

The government also suggested that Badarpur thermal plant to be closed near Delhi. The government will also launch a web application, which allows people to report about polluting vehicles in the capital.

The Delhi government hopes to reduce emission by half in the national capital by the controversial move. However, Delhi Police has said that it is an impractical idea.

Source: ETAuto
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2015, 17:58   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
The Delhi Police has already called it an impractical idea.
Delhi Govt Proposes, Delhi Police Disposes (Pardon the slightly political take on an old idiom).

WORK FROM HOME option, powered by technology, is a good way to reduce traffic without effecting productivity. Of course, its not applicable to all jobs.
SmartCat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th December 2015, 18:24   #15
Team-BHP Support

Delhi: Vehicles with odd, even numbers to ply on alternate days

With the pollution levels in Delhi on the rise, the Delhi government has announced that it will implement a new rule from January 2016. Under this rule, private vehicles, including cars and bikes, with odd and even registration numbers will be allowed to ply on the city's roads on alternate days. The rule will be applicable to private vehicles entering from other states as well.

This means that only vehicles with a registration number ending with an odd number can be driven on one day and only those ending with an even number can be driven the next day. Public vehicles will be exempted from following this rule.

A report by the World Health Organisation revealed that New Delhi is the most polluted city in the world. With the new rule, the government will hope to reduce the pollution levels in the city by half. A web application, which will allow citizens to report polluting vehicles in the city, is also being launched.

Source: Economic Times

Last edited by Aditya : 4th December 2015 at 18:30.
Aditya is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks