Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th December 2015, 20:26   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Delhi: Vehicles with odd, even numbers to ply on alternate days

This rule actually has been implemented in multiple cities around the world, but I find it unsuitable. Would hit the middle class with a single car hard.
Maybe a congestion tax sticker like London would have worked better.
blackasta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th December 2015, 20:27   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

What about those who work the night shift as dozens of my employees do. You drive to work at 9PM on a 28th of a month in your even numbered car but next day after finishing your shift on 29th at 6AM but now cannot drive back. People don't drive in NCR for the fun of it what with the traffic jams and the pollution. People drive because they need to get from place X to place Y for a valid reason and the public transport is grossly inadequate and distances in NCR are great. One reason for dust in NCR is that roads and pavements are dug up by our municipal bodies and then the loose mud is simply left dumped - the broken pavement is rarely paved over. The dust in NCR is from dug up pavements and roads and metro construction which then accumulates on road sides for months. Without doubt some measures are needed. In the 1990s Delhi had become insufferable due to bus and auto rickshaw pollution. The move to CNG immensely contributed to the subsequent improvement. But the Govt of Shri Kejriwal needs to think deeply and wisely.
V.Narayan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th December 2015, 20:27   #33
BHPian

Firstly, what's the direction for us, who travel in NCR and not just in Delhi. How will we get the connectivity to Gurgaon and Noida where Metro connectivity is very limited and public infra is LOL.

Quote:
Other fancy numbers that come under 'Jump' category will be obtained at a cost of Rs 20,000. "Suppose a series of 1500 is going on and you want a number like 2233 or 2223. You must then pay Rs 20,000 for that and the number will be granted as per availability," said an official.
Will I simply not buy my fav number while buying my second car and thus ensure that I have a car each day.

Or may buy a number for my already registered car and get it re-registered.
achopraa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2015, 20:30   #34
BHPian

unless the 'public transport' system improves and provides the 'last mile' connectivity, none of these schemes will work. i don't know why 'decision making' people do not understand this simple logic.
kavensri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2015, 20:31   #35
M35
BHPian

re: Delhi: Odd & Even numbered cars to drive on alternate days

I know such ‘odd-even’ regulations have already been implemented in China, especially at the time of Beijing Olympic Games in 2008 and many times later as well. But then the public transport system and infrastructure out here in China is quite robust, that people do have decent options to commute.

I know it is no fun living in chocking smog, but by ‘lifting’ such regulations/restrictions, if at all, from across the border and imposing it on the public, as the last resort, is not a great move either.

Last edited by M35 : 4th December 2015 at 20:59.
Old 4th December 2015, 20:35   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post

So, to go to my office in karolbagh every day I need to have two cars with one ending with even and one with odd number. Brilliant.
No. The idea is that you will drive one day and take the metro / taxi the next day. The hope is that you will like the metro and would then start preferring it to driving. If coming from outside Delhi, you would park your car at a metro station in the outskirts and would take the metro to Karol Bagh at least a few days a week.
Lobogris is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2015, 20:44   #37
BHPian

ok, now i want to register my car with an even number. do i have to pay a premium for it as I am 'choosing' a number? apart from such nuances (and the obvious one of how do u enforce the policy), i principally support this decision. something as drastic as this needs to be done in the interests of the generations to come.
Old 4th December 2015, 20:46   #38
BHPian

This has the makings of a disaster. What is the point of making rules when already almost all traffic rules are violated everyday by everyone (myself included, I must shamefully admit)

Shouldn't the government be required to submit reports from some tudies before announcing such ludicrous rules

Paris announced the same rule, then backtracked, in 24 hours! (http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-w...n-driving-days)

Plus I've heard that people just end up buying older cheaper cars with worse emission standards, which makes the whole thing super counterintuitive

I can already see number plate switchers (like the one shown in the 1st transporter movie) now becoming a common underground black market item

Please lets sign a petition or something and make sure that this is not implemented, there are better ways to go about this, what London does probably will work here too

What if someone needs to take someone to the Emergency room, will they now have to worry that they can't because its not the correct day?

And how can the government force people to use public transport when most of it is already jam packed to capacity! What if your commute is a 2km odd journey where no public transport really goes start to end.
Apologies if I sound like I've gone overboard with negativity

Last edited by iamendangered : 4th December 2015 at 20:52.
iamendangered is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2015, 20:47   #39
BHPian

This traffic rule has what it takes to take India on top of the list of the most crazy and unbelievable traffic laws ever laid down.

Here are some unbelievable road rules that exist globally

A dirty car? You are fined

If you are feeling lazy to clean your car in Russia and still want to drive, be ready to be fined upto 2,000 roubles (approx. Rs 4000).

Don't yell or curse!

I genuinely think that India needs this law. No matter who is in fault, the one who yells and curses first, is considered to be the RIGHT guy. But such is not the case in Rockville, Maryland; it's illegal to curse in public, else you could be asked to pay a fine up to $100 (approx Rs 6,300) or can be booked in jail up to 90 days.

Don't you ever turn your car's headlights off!

This may sound absurd or strange to many, but in Sweden it's necessary to keep your headlights on 24 hours a day. We understand that it's required for places as cold as Sweden during winter, but you cannot turn your car's lights off even if it's June and weather looks just fine.

You can drink while driving, but you should not be drunk!!

Confused? I was, too, when I first heard of this rule. In Costa Rica, you can take alcohol while driving as long as your blood-alcohol level isn't above 0.75 per cent. 0.75 percent? Are you kidding me? I am alright with water.

In San Francisco, California, it is against law to wipe the car in a car wash with a used underwear

Seriously? Who wipes a car with an underwear anyway - used or new notwithstanding? And buying a new underwear for wiping the car should be a good enough to seek professional help!

Don't sit in the front seat if you are drunk

Drinking and driving is illegal, and that certainly should be. But in Macedonia, if one is "visibly under the influence of alcohol", he/she cannot sit in the front seats. Why? Well, who can understand better than Indians, "Gaadi tera bhai chalayega ab".

Make sure that your driver isn't drunk too

In Japan, being a sober passenger isn't enough, if the driver is intoxicated, the passenger, also, can be punished under the law.

Carry an extra pair of glasses

If you wear prescription glasses, it's necessary to carry a spare pair in your car under law, else you can be fined in Spain.

Women cannot drive

Weird, as it may sound, but Saudi Arabia is the only country in the world that doesn't allow women to get behind the wheel.

Your number plate can be a problem too

In Manila, you cannot drive your car on Monday if the number plate ends with 1 or 2.

Wearing shirt is mandatory while driving

In Thailand, it's mandatory to wear a shirt while driving, going topless can fine equal to a few hundred baht.

Source

Last edited by Rehaan : 5th December 2015 at 12:03. Reason: Source added. You MUST mention a source when taking content from another website.
wrongturn is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 4th December 2015, 20:55   #40

Who comes up with these stupid idea's and on a second thought it seems they are promoting people to buy cars with both odd and even numbers if they want to drive everyday.

Note :

1. One more thing What if my car number ends with 0.
2. What if there is a medical emergency and i need to take someone to the hospital and the car cannot be driven on that particular date/day?
Old 4th December 2015, 20:59   #41
BHPian

ok, now i want to register my car with an even number. do i have to pay a premium for it as I am 'choosing' a number? apart from such nuances (and the obvious one of how do u enforce the policy), i principally support this decision. something as drastic as this needs to be done in the interests of the generations to come.

congestion sticker tax!! you think it doesn't have any drawbacks? would you have preferred cars being scrapped every ten years (a la clunkers)? or a singapore style system wherein owning a car is prohibitively expensive? recognising that every system has its own drawbacks and theres no panacea for such a situation, why not try and make this work? wait and see the impact, anyone?

buy two numbers for my car, keep flicking between one bogus number and one genuine,(comments from above, don't want to quote any one person) i think these are absolutely callous and irresponsible statements for this forum.

yes public transport needs to be improved, so why not offer suggestions on that count?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrongturn View Post

Here are some unbelievable road rules that exist globally

A dirty car? You are fined

If you are feeling lazy to clean your car in Russia and still want to drive, be ready to be fined upto 2,000 roubles (approx. Rs 4000).
dunno about the rest, but this is definitely not true speaking from long personal experience

Last edited by Rehaan : 5th December 2015 at 12:05. Reason: Merging consecutive posts. Also see my reply to the "dirty car" comment that's coming up.
handsofsteel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2015, 21:04   #42
BHPian

I thought April 1 was months away! How will you remember what day it is? If even days means even numbers then odd number car owners drive 1-2 days more. There are more months with 31 days! There is a thin line between eccentric and genius, i am not able to place this where. By this the Delhi govt criminalizes weekend picnics, outings etc. You cant go on a Saturday and come back on a Sunday.
Old 4th December 2015, 21:05   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavensri View Post
unless the 'public transport' system improves and provides the 'last mile' connectivity, none of these schemes will work. i don't know why 'decision making' people do not understand this simple logic.
It is because the Joint Secretary's and Others of their ilk live in Lutyens Delhi with its broad tree lined avenues and adequate parking space in residential areas (almost all of it for senior Govt employees). And most ride around in sarkari transports. When Lutyens designed Delhi he built the roads trying to keep in mind what traffic needs will be one century later (ie today). When these very same sarkari babus from the town planning dept plan layouts they don't even cater to the traffic today let alone for tomorrow.
V.Narayan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2015, 21:11   #44

Who comes up with this stupid idea's on second thought it seems the government is promoting us to buy cars if you want to drive everyday(one with even number and one with odd number for alternate days).

NOTE :-

1. What if my car number is ending with ZERO?
2. What if there is a medical emergency in house and i cant wait for the ambulance and would like to take the patient myself to the hospital but the car number i have cannot be driven on the particular day/date?
3. I have a dinner at relative's house and then decide to stay overnight then i cannot take my car the next day to my own house?
Old 4th December 2015, 21:14   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

The implementation of the even-odd days is likely to be applicable for vehicles plying/parking in high-congestion areas such as Connaught Place, Azadpur, Lajpat Nagar, Nehru Place etc. For the rest of the city, vehicles are likely to ply normally. For those just passing through the high-congestion areas, a re-routing would probably be the only action necessary.
SS-Traveller is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks