Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 4th December 2015, 21:14   #46
BHPian

Re: Delhi: Vehicles with odd, even numbers to ply on alternate days

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
So, to go to my office in karolbagh every day I need to have two cars with one ending with even and one with odd number. Brilliant.
This is the exact attitude that the government (not just in India, but any government in such a situation) wants to discourage. What they want you to do is give alternative modes of transport a chance. Not specifically talking about public transport as not everyone would want to make use of that due to several reasons, but options like car-pooling, ride-sharing, work from home, planning multiple trips on a given day, etc.

Also, going by your logic, if the government would have assigned each day of the week a certain number, will you buy 7 cars just to go to work at Karolbagh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
And what if i dont know what is Odd or Even. Will they also ensure everybody knows what is odd and what is ever.
Is it really that difficult to learn and remember odd-even? The fingers on your right hand, odd or even? I mean, come-on. Any person above the legal driving age in India WOULD and SHOULD know this.

Quote:
And how exactly will you validate if i tinkered my Number plate or have two of them and keep flicking it.
And how exactly do you plan to do this? And for how many days? Don't you think you will be too tired and silly to do this everyday for the next foreseeable time that this rule is in force? (unless you come up with something James Bond-ish in your car(s).

Quote:
As someone rightly said, need to think about how to make people take public transport and invest on those infrastructures.

Make 50% of the lane applicable only for public transport and create a congestion for people to stop taking their cars out.

Create ways that will deter people from using a car.
That's more like it. And to me, this rule looks like one that will deter people from using their cars. Trust me, every single rule made by any government, no matter how ground-breaking or futuristic it is, will be ridiculed by the public at large, initially. Only time will tell whether this one works or not. So, wait, comply and watch.
SankalpDesai is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th December 2015, 21:20   #47
Senior - BHPian

re: Delhi: Odd & Even numbered cars to drive on alternate days

Why does the government come up with such nonsense? What do they consume before they come to work?

Stricter pollution checks will go a long way!

Imagine what you would do if there's a medical emergency? The cops will stop you and demand a bribe? Will you tell your parents/relatives to take a train/flight on a certain day because you can't pick/drop them ?

There are quite a few nonsensical policies tried to being enforced in Delhi: NGT's ban on 10 year old diesel cars is one of them.

Instead of having such hay-brained ideas, they can build more metro lines, ring roads and have better public busses. Implementing congestion taxes at peak times will discourage some car owners.

We can't implement policies which are implemented in US or Europe because the traffic density is lower there. It's best to go the Japan way: More reliance on public transport.

Why even own two cars?
I'm sure there'll people will have another number in the reverse of the plate. Flip the plate each day (Bihari cabbie method to avoid interstate tax) and pray no cops stop you.

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 4th December 2015 at 21:36.
Old 4th December 2015, 21:47   #48
BHPian

So this is the best they could come up with instead of hundreds other more feasible options. They could have encouraged hybrid cars by giving incentives, promoting battery powered vehicles (remember M&M Reva), installing battery charging points all over the city. Imposing higher taxes on gasoline cars and giving incentives on electric vehicles would have solved the problem. Instead they have taken the easier way and they've put the burden on common people. As if Delhi have a world class public transport system. This shows the sorry state of affairs in our country.
Old 4th December 2015, 21:55   #49
BHPian

Such a rule can only be made by officers sitting inside their air-conditioned offices who travel in their chauffeur driven cars not knowing the condition of public transport. What if I have only car and there's a medical emergency at my home and I need to go to the hospital? Should I take the patient in metro or should I wait for the ambulance which might take a while to come?

Implementing the rule would be very difficult too. What if some people keep two sets of number plates and switch them? I know its not legal but then not everyone follows the law. Will the cops stop and check the RC of every car every day? I just hope that they amend it and introduce some sort of congestion charge.

On a lighter note, just found this very suitable meme on the current situation. Can't stop laughing

Name:  12289498_1010530619006614_1321695794272475882_n.png
Views: 2847
Size:  49.4 KB

Source: Twitter
amansanc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2015, 22:22   #50
Senior - BHPian

I feel this is a good decision by the government. However there is a problem. How will they ensure that people don't maintain an additional number plate (fake). People can have 1 ODD and 1 EVEN plate this way and use the car everyday. Without HSRP's it will be difficult to control.
Regarding those who have concerns about medical and other emergencies, I think emergency vehicles will be exempt. Even if you flout the rule with a private car because of an emergency you will probably be able to get the challan cancelled after proving there was an emergency.
pedrolourenco is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2015, 22:23   #51
BHPian

A suggestion for olx to tweak their latest television commercial.
The husband sells his Honda City and acquires two used Swifts, one for himself and the other for his wife.
With this rule on, he has to look for two Swifts, one even number registered and the other odd. Forget independence.
Will Delhites get 50 percent off on road taxes ?
With limited alternate modes of commute available, Delhi will find it tough to do a Beijing.
Graven5 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2015, 22:29   #52
BHPian

Quote:

Make 50% of the lane applicable only for public transport and create a congestion for people to stop taking their cars out.

Create ways that will deter people from using a car.
Yes, BRT was the solution to that. Unfortunately, instead of fixing the small issues the government completely scrapped it.
The solution to everything is not banning stuff. The rule takes away the option of using private vehicles on certain days but does everyone in Delhi have the option of reaching from point A to point B via public transport without it being an extremely inconvenient and time consuming option?

I read that the Delhi government has not increased it's Bus fleet for the past 2 years. If you don't have a robust public transport system then there can't be such hasty steps.
Strict pollution checks and a complete restriction of vehicles not meeting Euro 4 standard might curb the pollution levels to a great extent.

Implementation of this might be a nightmare with traffic police being inept to handle such a huge task. Major traffic violations which are easier to enforce go unnoticed on Delhi roads, I doubt that this would last more than the mandatory 15 days in the present scenario.
Old 4th December 2015, 22:30   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobogris View Post
No. The idea is that you will drive one day and take the metro / taxi the next day. The hope is that you will like the metro and would then start preferring it to driving. If coming from outside Delhi, you would park your car at a metro station in the outskirts and would take the metro to Karol Bagh at least a few days a week.
Is the metro station parking lots in Delhi so big that half of the cars coming from outside of Delhi limits, which are not allowed to enter that day, can park the car and enjoy a metro ride? I seriously doubt it!!
Old 4th December 2015, 22:33   #54
BHPian

It's a case of too little, too late, but I suppose better late than never.

I fear that significant health damage has already been done to the existing population, but this move if it sees the light of day, will atleast benefit the future citizens of Delhi.
outofthebox is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2015, 22:46   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

This is for all of delhi?
Typically, this rationing is done to reduce congestion in city centres and other areas.
If this is for all of delhi, its utter madness, thoughtlessness. If anybody is thinking this is going to affect pollution levels, dream on. Like people have said, the used car market will see a lot of new car buyers with plans for a swift buying two older swifts. Belching smoke away.

I would like to know, by what right, or level of IQ is this being done? The only issue to be faced is pollution? Are you thick?
What do these people think we take cars out for everyday? Because there is NO feasible or comfortable public transport available. SO are we supposed to sit on thumbs on alternate days? slug it out through shared autos, rickety buses...and the end?
Idiots.

Yes, all my cars are even numbered.
mayankk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th December 2015, 22:52   #56
BHPian

The decision can be called stupid and the implementation for sure will become chaotic and eventually may fail. But the truth is we are in a crisis situation created by the corrupted and greedy people. Chennai rain disaster and Delhi pollution are just a starting and it is the payback time by mother nature.
r_devakumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2015, 23:02   #57
Senior - BHPian

What a knee-jerk reaction. I reckon that even if all white board plate cars are banned, the pollution will not improve. Reason being the smoke bellowing buses, trucks, taxis etc. This is only going to cause much hardship to common man.

As mentioned above, people will simply buy a 2nd used car with opposite number. This will only cause more pollution IMO
Old 4th December 2015, 23:39   #58
BHPian

Delhi govt has cleared a 400% salary hike for their MLAs.

I don't know whether this move will curb corruption but it sure as hell will make it easier for the MLAs to get by this rule with a couple of additions in their garage.

Thanks for again kicking the middle class in the nuts.
gaurav_3000ad is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th December 2015, 23:49   #59
BHPian

Gents those who think that bringing odd and even numbered cars on alternate days will help bring down pollution level is a distant dream. This is again to me a knee jerk action taken by Delhi government just like they hiked their own salaries three times more than the current one.

When i look at cities like Beijing & Shanghai (which i frequent nowadays a lot due to projects), have found that the pollution level has not significantly reduced even there. Government has put up proper mechanisms in place before putting in force the odd and even numbered car concept. Their licence procedure is quite strict, it's quite expense to buy cars(due to taxation) & last but not least there is a lottery system in Shanghai (even more difficult but can be sometimes by passed with some under table arrangements).

Check online AQI(Air Quality index) of Delhi & Beijing and you won't find Beijing has made a significant improvement. That said, it does not mean we should not implement odd & even car rule, but for once, please, please put in force not before you have basic set up in place.

Otherwise, it is quite simple we will have lot more cars than we have today as every one will go for 2 cars (to their best capacity).

Pollution is not just from cars in Delhi but also from the Coal power plant, burning of agricultural waste, shitty & very poorly maintained goods carrying trucks still plying on roads, even cars & bikes older than 10 years add a lot to the problem. I will be very happy to see that all the by pass highways are put in function ensuring none of the goods carrying vehicles enter the city.

I hope for once we do things by thinking from head & not just take action because heart wants it.
saurabhdadhichi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2015, 01:19   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmenon View Post
Also another question, what about people who travel at odd hours, I work in a shift that requires me to go to office at 12PM and can returns only by about 10 - 11 PM,
I dont think the exact modalities have been worked out but here is how I think it will work.
They'll have some sort of a transition period, say, like till 4AM, till when the previous day's cars will be also allowed to ply. This will give people like you or the ones returning from a party or a wedding or a late night movie a window to get home without inconvenience.

Quote:
And what if i dont know what is Odd or Even. Will they also ensure everybody knows what is odd and what is ever.
This is literally the most thing I have heard all day.

Quote:
And how exactly will you validate if i tinkered my Number plate or have two of them and keep flicking it.
You really think anyone will take the trouble of actually changing their number plate every day?

Quote:
Now we are talking.

This idea was tried. BRT. We cried ourselves hoarse pooh-pooing it and were glad when it was scrapped. Perhaps it was a bit too ahead of its time then. Perhaps its time is now.

But then, the problem with BRT is that it is permanent. Once it is implemented, it will be implemented for good.

Again, we dont know how exactly the government's proposal will work but it, i believe, will not be something that is promulgated on a permanent basis. This SHOULD BE LIMITED to days when AQI rises above a certain cut-off level, just like in Beijing. Once the air is better, the cars be brought back. Also, they should consider shutting down all construction activity and industry along with taking half the cars off the road during those days. This will allow the air to improve much quicker and will anyway reduce the load on the roads and even public transport in a big way as quite a lot of people won't be commuting to and from work. Again, just like in Beijing.

Beijing actually shuts down construction and industry at the second highest level itself. The odd-even thing is implemented only at the very highest pollution level. Refer this

Personally, I'd take a few days' inconvenience for cleaner air.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavensri View Post
unless the 'public transport' system improves and provides the 'last mile' connectivity, none of these schemes will work. i don't know why 'decision making' people do not understand this simple logic.

Unfortunately, things in India start happening only when there is a sudden push from somewhere. Lets hope this horribly polluted winter is that push which gives us these essential bits of infrastructure.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 5th December 2015 at 01:41.

Most Viewed