Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th December 2015, 01:50   #61
Senior - BHPian

re: Delhi: Odd & Even numbered cars to drive on alternate days

I think this move is good, will limit people to take their cars out and help increase car pooling in offices and usage of public transport. I don't think Public transport in Delhi is as bad as Pune's. (I know I'm comparing a capital with a non-metro, but just for the sake of comparison as I am from Pune)
How they implement it is something that remains to be seen. Cops will be too busy 'cutting' challans than managing traffic.

On a lighter note, one of my friends had this opinion while debating this on facebook:
Delhi people buy cars at lesser cost than other states, buy petrol/diesel at cheaper rates than others, I don't see any reason why they won't buy a second car so that they have both odd and even numbers in their garage. Most of them must be having two or more cars already
(Don't intend to hurt anyone, nor debate on his statement )
Old 5th December 2015, 02:10   #62
BHPian

In my opinion this is an immensely impractical decision which will have it's own consequences. For one the traffic cops would start harassing citizens for bribes. What if I am just passing through Delhi ? Do I delay my plans because my car ends with an odd number ? What about woman safety ? If a lady works in Noida and feels safer coming back home after dark in her car, should she depend on the 'superb' safety of the public transportation system ? What about emergencies ? (not ambulances but many times lives are saved cause people took action on their own) It is not practical to take Uber or use public transportation every day (100 rupees on 1 auto ride vs spending 1800 for a tankful of diesel, tankful of diesel lasts a month and works out cheaper). Sadly, a decision has been taken without any consideration for it's impact. Recently they started collecting environment tax from all trucks that enter Delhi, and that facade itself caused traffic jams of many kms on the Gurgaon toll causing more pollution ! Parking taxes, fines for not lane driving and heavy fines for not keeping PUC certificates are better methods. Someone on Twitter rightly said that this is what Mohd. Bin Tuglauq (the Delhi emperor who issued leather coins) would have done.
Old 5th December 2015, 02:24   #63
Senior - BHPian

what about the cab drivers? Wouldn't their livelihood be impacted if they can only drive half the month?

I won't be surprised if people start getting fake number plates, I mean what are the odds of people not doing it?
Old 5th December 2015, 05:24   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Delhi Govt Proposes, Delhi Police Disposes (Pardon the slightly political take on an old idiom).

WORK FROM HOME option, powered by technology, is a good way to reduce traffic without effecting productivity. Of course, its not applicable to all jobs.
You see, the main reason for congestion of our cities is "centralization", development is centralized at one place. Delhi, Mumbai, Bengaluru, Chennai, Pune, and Hyderabad all cities have the same story.

Personally feel this "Odd", "even" numbers may not be effective, only decentralization can save our cities. And, should be done ASAP before all natural resources are polluted and expire.
Old 5th December 2015, 07:27   #65
BHPian

This was tried out for sometime in Kualalampur, Malaysia. Some people resorted to buying 2 cars. The better solution was that people car pooled with odd and even registration cars. Eventually the initiative folded up because there was not enough police manpower to monitor and implement. So they restricted the rule to the congested city centre. I am not sure if it still exists.
Old 5th December 2015, 07:54   #66
Distinguished - BHPian

The problem with practically all governments is that they believe we as the public need to be dealt with with an iron hand in an iron glove.
Rather than going all Genghis Khan on us, if they focused their attention on actually working for for the voter class, they'd have put up better alternative transportation. Wouldn't the majority of people here like to get to and from office comfortably, cheaply and quickly? It's not as if inching along in a machine you've spent lacs on at 2m/minute is our idea of a high. If I had an option to get from about 500mts from my door to about 500mts from my office with two changes of transportation, I'd gladly take it.
Can someone explain how this move caters to this, or can even partially address this?

No, let's make life difficult for the people . The cattle will adapt as they always do.

Dysfunctional. People who are exempt from taxes decide how much to pinch from the rest. People who have traffic stopped for them decide how to get rid of jams.
mayankk is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th December 2015, 08:39   #67
Senior - BHPian

The public transport must be spot on for effective implementation of this rule.
Most of the affected folk will be the single vehicle owners. They will depend on public transport. You may also see a big spurt in new and used vehicle sales as people will instinctively look for another vehicle with either an odd or an even number.
I am in to support anything that we can do to improve the environment long term but don't appreciate knee jerk reactions to it.
Probably have a VW day and a non VW day.
Arjun Reddy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th December 2015, 09:15   #68
BHPian

Well done jokers running the entire show, this is a decision which shall prove beneficial to the already corrupt system we have and the burden on the common man shall increase as always. Instead of banning lorries, trucks, polluting buses, autorickshaws all our Govt. can think of is hitting hard at the common daily commuter who is left with no other option other than:

1. Buying another car immediately by putting his hard earned money saved for some other purpose owing to this joke of a rule.

2. Bribing, bribing and bribing at multiple instances just to drive his vehicle in the country's capital.

3. Faking the no. plates for even & odd days.

4. People buying non DL registered vehicles (HR, UP etc.)

I clearly am unable to understand, instead of making plans to find and curb the real culprits , the Govt. always puts the load on the common man. Why can't their be proper planning and implementation of things. I today feel so happy to live in a smaller town & not in one of the metros just because of the stupid laws enforced by the Govt. every day.

They will not ban the long fleet of cars accompanying the good for nothing Neta's

They will not check the Govt. vehicles for their obsolete engines and the level of pollution they generate.

They will not issue orders to big shots having industries which daily contributes in disastrous amounts of pollutants, be it water, air, soil.

They will not check the trucks, lorries, heavy load vehicles which would have been banned to commute on the roads at least 20-30 years ago.

What they will do is ban majority of well maintained, PUC certified cars which were already not a big threat and contributor to the pollution just because aam aadmi will abide and shall be ready to compromise & bribe the authorities whenever required. There goes the freedom out the window. India Shining.
NST440 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th December 2015, 10:02   #69
BHPian

Its still better to live car-less on alternative day than inviting situation which force us to live car-less forever.

Better we take the environment seriously than every other thing in our life and start preserving from today, start contributing in every step taken to save it.

If the even-odd rule can successfully be implemented and even 5-10% of pollution can be reduced by this single then it will be big achievement. It may further lead into more such steps so that pollution can be controlled further.
Old 5th December 2015, 10:04   #70
BHPian

Dear Friends,

I wanted to quote quite a few of you. Unfortunately, I found that I was selecting too many ..

I have great sympathy for all of you in Delhi. I am sure some of you have 'contacts'. Could you please check if the new and old car manufacturers and/or dealers have done some thing? AND also maybe the taxi guys?

On a more serious note, I have heard of places where parking is ODD/EVEN based on dates. I think that is a good idea. This, however, seems to be impractical. My guess is this will not last. It will have to be scrapped or modified suitably.

On a personal front, in my previous job, I had made an offer to my employees that I am willing to come to office on a bicycle everyday. All I had asked was for a proper washroom to freshen up after that. Many of my colleagues had supported me. However, it did not work out!

My office, in those days, was about 5 km from my home. I am sure the average distances traveled by Delhites are a lot more! I imagine the options of public transport / cycles / walking / etc would not be possible for most. Ouch! Double Ouch!!

Luckily, sitting far-far-away (as yet), I am looking forward to how this moves.

Take care. Drive safely.

Girish Mahajan
Old 5th December 2015, 10:27   #71
Distinguished - BHPian

This is what happens when the grand plans of connecting Delhi with NCR happens. Noida, Gurgaon, Ghaziabad, Faridabad, Rohtak, Meerut and about 10 other cities are part of NCR now with U.P pushing Mathura & Agra to be part of this mess as well since Yamuna Expressway made travel to Noida easier.

Worse yet all the people living within NCR limits identify themselves as being part of Delhi (for what reason I don't know). The gravitas of living near the capital of India makes them all travel closer & closer to the city each day using Delhi as a pit-stop to travel to other destinations. Its only going to get worse from now. Delhi much like Bangalore is now only subject to commercial exploitation with the builders building non-stop in Gurgaon, Greater Noida & Ghaziabad and promoting them as "hours drive to Delhi" and upcoming metro city when in fact none of these satellite towns have even half the infrastructure necessary to house the many lakhs of people shifting into flats. Delhi to me is the region of New Delhi, not even O.D should be considered developed enough. Water, power, drainage facilities, roads, traffic management, pollution control etc, none of these are being focussed on and this is the result. What next if the odd & even number vehicles system is successful? Go by alphabets? The region is exploding to the point of implosion and the faster the people realize the better.
dark.knight is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2015, 10:46   #72
GTO
Team-BHP Support

A stop-gap measure at best. I think the car owners who will suffer most will be the middle-class with a single ride in the household.

The rich will buy a 2nd or 3rd car. The connected....well, rules don't apply to them.

Incidentally, I was just thinking of what will happen if such a rule were to come to Mumbai. All my cars end with an even number .

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercFan View Post
You see, the main reason for congestion of our cities is "centralization", development is centralized at one place. Delhi, Mumbai, Bengaluru, Chennai, Pune, and Hyderabad all cities have the same story.
While I agree to this observation, it's not only India's metropolitan cities that suffer from traffic congestion. New York, Boston, Tokyo, Beijing...all of them have the same traffic problem. The only difference being:

1. Most of these cities have a fabulous public transportation system (especially the New York Tube).

2. If you don't like the crowds, you can move out of the city and still enjoy a high quality of life. That's not the case with smaller towns in India. Every time I go to Deolali / Nasik for instance, even the electricity isn't reliable!
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th December 2015, 11:15   #73
BHPian

A more effective move as far as bringing down the pollution level could of constituting a team comprising of cops AND civilian marshalls (many retired people are willing to volunteer) who are equipped with emission checking equipment and can issue HEFTY fines on the spot to offending vehicles.
Such teams can be positioned randomly. The most glaring loophole in the whole PUC scam is the PUC certificate which is issued even without checking the car at most centres. And this certificate then gives a golden pass to the vehicle as I have not seen any cop with pollution checking equipment.
Old 5th December 2015, 11:58   #74
Senior - BHPian

Crazy idea IMHO.
Not practical and implementable.
Plus what about the poor guys who have only 1 car? How will they make it to work on days when there car is not allowed on the roads ? I live in a very well developed part of delhi but yet there is no public transport (metro) to take me to work.
Has AAP thought about family emergencies? What happens when one has to go to the hospital?
Old 5th December 2015, 14:33   #75
BHPian

As per Indian Express website, Curbing pollution in Delhi: The Big Question, How?

Green plan: Proposals & Challenges

What govt wants: Private vehicles to be restricted based on odd and even number plates on alternate days from Jan 1. Emergency services such as ambulances, police exempted
Challenge: Transport and environment departments are understaffed and would require support from the Delhi Police and Centre

What govt wants: Environment Department proposes shutting down Badarpur and Rajghat thermal power plants. Delhi government to move an application in the NGT to shut down Dadri plant
Challenge: While Badarpur and Rajghat plants are operating below peak efficiency, shutting down the Dadri plant would require permission from UP govt

What govt wants: The transport dept, along with the traffic police, to finalise a proposal to allow trucks in Delhi from 10 pm or 11 pm, instead of 9 pm
Challenge: Establishing effective communication with the municipal bodies and Delhi traffic police as well as figuring out alternative routes for essential goods

What govt wants: To advance implementation of Euro-VI norms
Challenge: Coordinating with Centre as well as putting in place infrastructure and guidelines to enforce it

What govt wants: PWD to expedite vacuum cleaning of Delhi roads from April 1
Challenge: A quick tendering process to ensure the best equipment and adequate funding

What govt wants: Hiring school buses and private buses to meet public transport needs
Challenge: To ensure schools not affected as well as steps to ensure safety of commuters

Source: http://indianexpress.com/article/cit....GTcm2yst.dpuf

Some websites for monitoring air pollution in Delhi.

http://www.cpcb.gov.in/CAAQM/mapPage...aspx?stateID=6

http://www.dpccairdata.com/dpccairda...play/index.php

http://safar.tropmet.res.in/

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks