Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2015, 10:54   #16
BHPian

Re: WBTDC managing director meets Kolkata BHPians to enhance West Bengal Tourism

A great initiative on part of WBTDC to meet Bhpians and get to know about the condition of tourism in West Bengal. And a wonderful initiative on behalf of BHPian Samba to start a thread where contributions can be made towards the improvement of the tourism industry in West Bengal. A very unique state WB is in the fact that it has himalayas at the northern part of the state and the seas in the southern part of the state. A great oppurtunity is there for a state like ours to have a thriving tourism industry. A very good contribution is being done to improve the tourism culture in Bengal. I'd like to see some really encouraging moves being done to promote tourism. Will be looking out for the improvements.

Subhra
tacho9000 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th December 2015, 11:48   #17
BHPian

Re: WBTDC managing director meets Kolkata BHPians to enhance West Bengal Tourism

And if i may add on a to do list for the Tourism department.

Please talk to Zoom cars and Carzonrent of the world to bring in Self drive car rental on WB. This alone will do a world of good.
soumobakshi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th December 2015, 13:24   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by soumobakshi View Post
And if i may add on a to do list for the Tourism department.

Please talk to Zoom cars and Carzonrent of the world to bring in Self drive car rental on WB. This alone will do a world of good.
Bro, one needs to understand what comes under the purview of WBTDCL and what does not.

Though your point is valid, I would like to mention that ZoomCars & Carzonrent are private operators offering self driven car rentals and not a government body with whom WBTDCL can tie up. However, there is no restriction from the WB Government for these companies to set shop in the state. Taxi operators such as Meru, Ola & Uber are already plying in the city as on date and I guess it's just a matter of time that we see ZoomCars and other similar fleet operators commencing their operations in the state of WB.

Based on certain previous comments made on this thread, I would like to mention that roads and infrastructure also does not fall under the purview of WBTDCL. However, even we had raised our concern in our meeting with them by mentioning that some of the locations do have 'Accessibility Issues'. We were notified and assured by Mr. Murugan that he shall escalate the matter to the concerned authorities as it has an effect on their being.

Furthermore, instead of deviating from the topic, I would like to see the feedback from people who have actually stayed in the properties of WBTDCL and their suggestions/ opinion on the same in order to add value to this thread.

You can also share your experience of staying in properties of other Tourism Development Corporations which may provide a comparative insight.

Last edited by AJ-got-BHP : 16th December 2015 at 13:30. Reason: Changes
AJ-got-BHP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th December 2015, 13:32   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Nice thread, nice initiative!

A few weeks ago my wife and me and some friends stayed in Kolkata for a couple of days. (actually during Diwali) and three days in Sundarban afterwards. Even thought we have been in India for well over three years and have traveled extensively, this was the first time to these places. Finally got to see our very first tiger in the wild, swimming across the river! Really enjoyed it , loved Kolkata, very pleasant and interesting stay.

Toilets, wifi, good food and the appropriate liquids are essential for us. None of these, ever, in any place in India, is a given, we have come to experience.

Really enjoyed both places. It wasn't mentioned specifically in any of the comments, but I was wondering about what sort of tourism India in general and WBTDC in particular is trying to attract. It appears mostly if not all, to cater for Indians. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that. In fact I would go as far there is a lot to be said of not having international tourism, other then it tends to bring in a lot of money.

Having said that we are always amazed how little international tourists there are just about anywhere we go in India and we have been to many many places. Roughly speaking the international tourist tend to be either sort of the "backpacker brigade", or like us, foreigners who are based in India for some time. (e.g. expats).

When it comes to the question:
Quote:
Given the option would you prefer to take an Indian Airline Flight over an Indigo Flight
I take about 2-4 domestics flights a week all over India, so I have built up some real life experience with all Indian carriers. I will avoid Indian Airlines as the proverbial plague. The worst (cabin) service imaginable, and I get to fly business class. Air India staff are by far the most disinterest folks I have come across in any industry. Their ongoing struggles as a company and with their pilots do not give much confidence either.

I do like Indigo other for the fact that I find myself, at 1.96m, very cramped into their seats. No business class but they claim to fly on time and they usually do. Just flew from Ahmedabad to Kolkata which means actually more then three hours in a very cramped position. Not a happy place to be. Short hops its doable

I typically fly Jet Airways, because they have plenty routes with multiple slots during the day. Their service isn't particularly good, despite me flying business class and having a billion zillion miles with them, but it isnt particular bad either. At best it is convenient and reasonable reliable.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 16th December 2015 at 14:02. Reason: Fixed several typos.
Jeroen is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 16th December 2015, 16:32   #20
BHPian

Well Kolkata BHPians are very active. IMO, this meeting of Teambhp with MD of WBTDC is itself a testimony to our forum. Kudos to all of you for taking this much needed initiative.
Aniruddha_Ch is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th December 2015, 17:27   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ-got-BHP View Post
Bro, one needs to understand what comes under the purview of WBTDCL and what does not.

Though your point is valid, [/b]
I would like to only look at this part of your quote and say Tourism increases exponentially when you have proper infrastructure. And when you get them with ease of accessibility like a self drive rental option things are bound to look up, for the better.

I am aware that it doesn't come under the purview of WBTDCL but the ecosystem for Tourism cannot ignore it for long.

Last edited by soumobakshi : 16th December 2015 at 17:29.
soumobakshi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th December 2015, 14:51   #22
BHPian

This looks like a fantastic initiative. I will only term it as an 'innitaitive' as Tourism in Bengal has been neglected for decades. Not only has the infrastructure suffered but there has been continuous degradation of value at historical places and heritage sites. I though thank the current Government in Bengal for all the initiative it as taken and in just a short time this is reflected in places, one of which is Digha.

Today, tourism is a major source of income for many countries, and affects the economy of both the source and host countries, in some cases being of vital importance. To put things back on the global map of tourism is a mammoth task and the planning has to be large and long. Tourism is a service and hospitality sector, privatization or a semi government-private venture will only ensure the services provided to the tourist are up national or international standards. But why would a private player invest when he sees no gains or returns? National parks in other states flourish, national and international tourists que up and fill all possible forms of tourists establishments.

But Sundarbans(World Heritage site?), only a handful visit them. Neither is there any proper infrastructure, nor are there any resorts of international standards. The only way I see light at the end of the tunnel is to rope in private players. Offer them free land and subsidies taxes and benefits. Once the tourists starts flowing, government can benefit from the same. WBTDCL can be a moderator, a body that will uphold standards and benchmarks. I don't see any benefit in the government body going about making accommodation facilities and maintaining them. A good tourism machinery will yield huge returns in the form of taxes, WBTDCL will benefit directly or indirectly from it.

Bengal, as SS da has mentioned, is the only state which has a coastal belt and a snowline within its boundaries. We have still failed to reap benefits keeping the ecological balance intact.

Last edited by himadrimondal : 17th December 2015 at 14:59.
himadrimondal is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 18th December 2015, 21:06   #23
Senior - BHPian

Just for the heck of it, visited the WBTDC website. It is as it was years back. (Online booking facility has been introduced, though).
Wonder how a outsider is supposed to know that Mainak is in Siliguri, and Tista Abasan is in Jalpaiguri. And the map location shows that Tista Abasan is in Tezpur, Mainak is near Siliguri Station!

It is this callousness that prevails in all aspects of WBTDC's functioning. Lets hope this attitude changes.

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2015, 13:38   #24
BHPian

Just sharing this picture randomly as came across this on the Front Page of The Telegraph today morning. Do not know if WBTDC has put up a stall here or not. But definitely a good platform to reach out to the masses.

WBTDC managing director meets Kolkata BHPians to enhance West Bengal Tourism-p_20151222_095100_1.jpg
AJ-got-BHP is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2015, 13:17   #25
BHPian

I have heard that WBTDC has changed the booking cancellation policy to facilitate tourist and cancellation time has been reduced to 36 hours before check in.
This is a great initiative but how normal people will know about it?

As AJ-got-BHP mentioned this kind of news should be spread to masses for betterment of tourism in Bengal. WBTDC can also put it in the first page of the WBTDC website for intimating the tourists. At the same time the news should be in media like newspaper and FM also.

I was visiting the website and found that there is an option to give feedback but it needs modification as probably it is violating IT act.

As contact no, address and email id falls under personal information, details shared by people while submitting feedback should not be view-able by others except approved people.
SouraC is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st January 2016, 20:46   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
The time Kolkata Team Bhpians gave to him was also greeted by a nice offer from him. He offered us 50% discount for a over night Team Bhp meet (in a group) in few selected West Bengal Tourism properties.
Thanks to Mr.Murugan for offering us a wonderful stay in Gadiara (WBTDC Rupnarayan tourist lodge) at 50% discount as promised by him earlier. We enjoyed a lot.

The service we got from the staffs were excellent.
The rooms were neat and clean.
The food was excellent.

On the flip side i will say, the property needs some more maintenance, its showing its age.

The meet pics and the trip report have been updated over here. From post no -68
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/team-bhp-meet-section/171510-new-year-winter-meet-kolkata-january-2016-a-5.html

Last edited by Samba : 31st January 2016 at 20:53.
Samba is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed