Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 27th December 2015, 22:04   #46
BHPian

Re: My experience as an Uber driver in NCR

Wow. This is inspiring. Great show Quickdraw. Cities like Delhi need more people like you. This could be a real alternative to the problems caused by the pollution / odd even rules etc. Only thing is I wish you encounter only good people like yourself. My home-office distance is only 5 kms else I too would have given it a shot.

All the best and cheers.
Old 28th December 2015, 09:14   #47
BHPian

That was a such a wonderful experience! For all, it has motivated me to do it. I got great and genuine respect for what you did, sir. THIS is what I like. Break the stereotypes, have fun in your own way. Meeting new people and riding your car is a great way to relax and bust out that stress. Keep it up! I might be joining this soon with my swift diesel as I have a lot of time to my disposal now.

PS: Added you on Facebook.

Last edited by kvsingh13 : 28th December 2015 at 09:39.
kvsingh13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2015, 09:30   #48
BHPian

Hi quickdraw,

Just a quick heads up. Hindustan Times has published your photo for a completely different article and probably without your permission.

You can see the said article here.
barcalad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2015, 09:43   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcalad View Post
Hi quickdraw,

Just a quick heads up. Hindustan Times has published your photo for a completely different article and probably without your permission.

I think the picture has his permission to be used because it says that its a "Handout image" and it carries his name and location as well.
Old 28th December 2015, 11:28   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddu View Post
You just inspired me to sign up for this. I always feel the guilt in travelling alone from Noida to Gurgaon.
Hopefully, I will start sharing my ride from Monday onwards. Way to go quickdraw!
Fantastic stuff!

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
A car is private property, an extension of my personal space like my home. And just as I will not invite strangers to couch surf at home, nor will I share rides/seats with unknown people. Its in interest of my own safety.
You are absolutely right, one does need to be careful. But you're assuming that everyone is bad unless proven good. I have been at the receiving end of strangers kindness via couchsurfing. I'd say let us give everyone the benefit of doubt until proven guilty. After all everyone is fighting their own battles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcalad View Post
Hi quickdraw,

Thank you so much for this, I have gotten in touch with UBER and their PR agency about this. This is absolute hogwash, neither am I some rich Delhi dude or ever quoted for this article. I've always believed that the media in the country is full of it, but having it happen to you really is an exercise in patience. Hopefully it should be taken down soon without too much problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvsingh13 View Post
I think the picture has his permission to be used because it says that its a "Handout image" and it carries his name and location as well.
I just had a conversation with this journo once where she requested a few pictures of the car, my name and where I stay and said will be working on the article and discuss further. I never gave consent to them for printing this, or quoted anything regarding this story.
quickdraw is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th December 2015, 11:33   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
All the details and information about UBER Pool can be found here - https://newsroom.uber.com/new-delhi/poolpro/ currently, it is only available in New Delhi and NCR***
Thanks quickdraw for sharing your experience. When I heard Uber was launching in India years ago, I thought they are coming up with this feature and wanted to sign-up to offer rides during my solo drives, but to my disappointment it was not launched with this feature. Hope they bring it to Hyderabad soon.
Old 28th December 2015, 13:31   #52
BHPian

Inspired by this post, I signed up as well. However, it appears I've had my share of hostile riders who get offended the minute you tell them its a ride share and not a cab. Not sure what gets them infuriated by 100% of the 9 odd people I've accepted on the app and called up have been more than fair share of rude.
Old 28th December 2015, 15:59   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Your picture is in the paper. And on facebook.
Seems we have a mutual friend. Kunal.
What's with that story, them using your picture, and the article?
Old 28th December 2015, 17:43   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke View Post
Inspired by this post, I signed up as well. However, it appears I've had my share of hostile riders who get offended the minute you tell them its a ride share and not a cab. Not sure what gets them infuriated by 100% of the 9 odd people I've accepted on the app and called up have been more than fair share of rude.
The same thing happened with me. As soon as you tell them that it is UberPool they cancel it. Inconvenient!
Two such instances today when I was on my way back home, from work. Seems like they are booking a 4 seater but are getting routed to UberPool. Although they have not been rude till now.
Lastly, the destination does not match and is quite a detour. Will give it a try for few more days before I decide on how to go about it.
Old 28th December 2015, 18:50   #55
Senior - BHPian

@ quickdraw - great to know that you actually signed on with UBER & it actually works ! Kudos to that

As for the legality part - it is a commercial transaction, the moment you get paid for any service rendered. So technically it is a commercial ride, which the MV law does not approve of (private taxis that run on private number plates)

I am quite sure though, that UBER would have it covered one way or another. The other thing I find very surprising is that the vehicle is obviously a private car, hence paid road tax, insurance etc as applicable to private cars.

I am a bit concerned about the liability an insurance company would take up in case of an unforeseen mishap.Insurance of private cars have very clear "exceptions" for which the Insurance company is NOT liable.

Just some thoughts that I wished to share with the forum & ofcourse with those such as yourself who have taken the plunge !! Happy motoring

DISCLAIMER - I no vested interest whatsoever in the UBER car sharing arrangements. Simply expressing my thoughts
Ricky_63 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2015, 20:57   #56

Hi, thanks for sharing and i appreciate you for taking the initiative. I will be registering as Driver soon in pune. :-)
whitebeauty is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2015, 22:26   #57
BHPian

This seems to be a well thought out initiative by UBER and courageous on your part to use your vehicle on the UBER pool platform. Many of us would not have even dared to think of doing so. It may or may not go far to provide a solution to the pollution issue and save the environment but still is a positive start.

A little to state, the pic of your father with your car has also caught the fancy of somebody at the Hindustan Times and they seem to have used the pic in their article "Rich neighbours find way out, will exchange cars on odd-even days" published in today's newspaper :-

Wishing you luck in your endeavour and hope that many more join the initiative.
luvtandon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2015, 04:05   #58
BHPian

Do you need a commercial License to sign up for carpool as a driver?
Old 29th December 2015, 08:56   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilicious View Post
Do you need a commercial License to sign up for carpool as a driver?
No, it is not required.
Old 29th December 2015, 11:34   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by paddu View Post
The same thing happened with me. As soon as you tell them that it is UberPool they cancel it. Inconvenient!
Two such instances today when I was on my way back home, from work.
Well for the riders this is their usual UBER, I think normal people will get confused or startled if you call them up and tell them it's not a cab. When the cab is booked they are given an option of how many seats they want, and it's not possible to choose more than 2 seats. I'd say it's best not to discuss things other than their route, after all not everyone will be able to comprehend. You can take solace in the fact they you're saving the environment and they can continue doing what they do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Your picture is in the paper. And on facebook.
Seems we have a mutual friend. Kunal.
What's with that story, them using your picture, and the article?
Yeah Kunal Kaul is a very good friend of mine actually! More details on that below.

Hindustan Times Fiasco!

Name:  Screen Shot 20151229 at 11.00.42 am.png
Views: 1709
Size:  80.1 KB
Correction carried in HT on 29/12/15

A few friends and Tbhpians pointed out to me that there was an article in HT which had a picture of my car under a bigoted story that they decided to carry. Link to article

This was the result of an incredibly lost PR department of Uber (Hanmer MSL) and journos without ethics or comprehension of the english language. Just the fact that they used my image and gave a quote from me without having any conversation with me about the same proves what standards the media and journos follow. I've always known that, but something like this happening to you really changes your perspective. The online article was changed in a few hours but the print edition went out and was probably read by millions of people, nothing we can do about that. Also that journo never apologised for her mistake. This is exactly the reason I come to T-BHP and other online publications/forums to read reviews and opinions because most of the Auto journos just praise the manufacturers who send them on exotic trips abroad and so forth.

I've decided to refuse all the other press/tv interviews for now and have also put a hold on UBER Pool because nobody from UBER ever called to apologise to me for this, after all this all is their doing because their PR team messed up. And also I realised that if UBER can not care enough about someone who is trying to promote their platform and raise awareness, I doubt they will care if I get into any kind of legal issue regarding their payments thing or getting compensated for ferrying people in my car. No thanks I don't want to get my car impounded then suffer their apathy.

Last edited by quickdraw : 29th December 2015 at 11:36.
quickdraw is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed