Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 24th December 2015, 17:52   #31
BHPian

Re: My experience as an Uber driver in NCR

Kudos! Thanks a ton to post it out here and I really hope this picks up soon in bangalore too. Just a little skeptical about how do we tackle the unruly commuters along us? What if a goon just tries to mug me on the ride?
Old 24th December 2015, 18:00   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhansali_hardik View Post
Just a little skeptical about how do we tackle the unruly commuters along us? What if a goon just tries to mug me on the ride?
I was also thinking about that. UBER should also get photo IDs of commuters who register for this service. Maybe a PAN card, drivers license etc. So that they can be tracked. They should be kept confidential unless required for any eventualities by law enforcement agencies.
Old 24th December 2015, 18:36   #33
BHPian

You just inspired me to sign up for this. I always feel the guilt in travelling alone from Noida to Gurgaon.
Hopefully, I will start sharing my ride from Monday onwards. Way to go quickdraw!
paddu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2015, 19:51   #34
BHPian

This is one heck of an initiative! Very interesting to see how it all works.

I see this as a very practical way to get around our traffic congestion problem. Every ride means one less car on the road. My wife is an Uber regular just as a few other friends are. Superb service using tech as a game changer.
Old 24th December 2015, 20:03   #35
BHPian

... I search for such uber carpooling in Hyderabad while I read this thread and to my utter disappointment, it ain't still here ! :(

What a wonderful idea and people who like ferrying people [ like me ] would not mind taking this as a hobby !

And I almost forgot to congratulate you ....

Last edited by poised2drive : 24th December 2015 at 20:05.
Old 24th December 2015, 21:55   #36
BHPian

Kudos Dude.. this is very nice.

I think Government should sort out the legality and give this idea a sincere and solid push. This looks like a real shot at reducing Delhi's vehicle pollution.

If Govt promotes this idea of app assisted carpooling which also earns little cash on the side for the day's vegetables, this idea can go viral. With a progressive tightening of the odd-even type restrictions, there should be a great deal of interest in it.

Just one question. Say your passenger is a friend, relative or co-worker, wont it be awkward to take 70-80 Rupees for a drop home after work?!
Old 24th December 2015, 22:48   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sen2009 View Post
Kudos Dude.. this is very nice.
======
Just one question. Say your passenger is a friend, relative or co-worker, wont it be awkward to take 70-80 Rupees for a drop home after work?!
No cash I guess. Directly deducted from the rider's credit/debit card.

That is such a nice experience you have shared buddy. Kudos to your good work and breaking this taboo that is there in India. If some Indian drives a cab in U.S.A. it isn't considered bad because there, people are not judged based on their profession like we do here in India.
I told my dad that you did such a thing with your BMW, he's like wth? How will it be profitable for him in a freaking BMW? But whatever man, it's awesome.
I am from Ahmedabad and I've tried Uber a couple of times and didn't pay a dime because there was a promotional code going that time. But this Pool system is not there in Ahmedabad. :( Otherwise the cost of ownership of our car would have gone down.
All the very best and keep this thread updated.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 25th December 2015 at 09:27. Reason: Back to back posts. Please use multi-quote feature
Old 24th December 2015, 23:57   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeevith View Post
Can't wait for this to come to Bangalore
UberPool is already available in Bangalore. I think it is the first city to get UberPool, Delhi being second.

I've registered for UberPool as well, waiting for Uber to approve my request. Should be fun.
Old 25th December 2015, 01:28   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by racingmachine View Post
UberPool is already available in Bangalore. I think it is the first city to get UberPool, Delhi being second.

I've registered for UberPool as well, waiting for Uber to approve my request. Should be fun.
It's not exactly the same concept (which involves you / me driving). The Uberpool in Bangalore is to pool a regular uber car with another customer / rider.
Jeevith is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2015, 09:04   #40
BHPian

Thanks for sharing

I was thinking about it when they announced. Hope it comes to Bengaluru soon.

Keep sharing your experiences to help & motivate others with additional information.

To hell with naysayers, they never changed the world and would never do..
Old 25th December 2015, 14:25   #41
Senior - BHPian

Just trying to be a devil's advocate here. There is no protection provided both for the volunteer driver/owner nor the ride sharing passenger. Nowhere does Uber verify the credentials of both parties. It would not be long before either a owner/driver or a passenger gets mugged or worse. Uber as usual will claim exemption/immunity being an online ride sharing platform and all that blah.
A car is private property, an extension of my personal space like my home. And just as I will not invite strangers to couch surf at home, nor will I share rides/seats with unknown people. Its in interest of my own safety.
Old 25th December 2015, 15:01   #42
Senior - BHPian

So UBER cool is like a workaround to use your personal car as a Cab. Without needing commercial registration. Right?
Old 25th December 2015, 15:06   #43
BHPian

DCEite,

It is limited to 2 trips per day and it matches you with someone going in the same direction. So they are assuming we will use it while traveling to and from work.
paddu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2015, 16:33   #44
BHPian

This is a great intiative quickdraw. I am sure there are many people who understands the waste of fuel and energy to drive solo to office and back. I am sure after reading your thread they will come out of their cocoon and will be able to break the taboo. As mentioned by altocumulus, i would also not be much behind before registering for the app once uber pool services are open in kolkata.
Old 27th December 2015, 08:13   #45

I am all for car pooling. I car pool with my office colleagues daily. I don't expect a single rupee for this service. In fact many times I pick up people off the street. I have also used Bla Bla car on my Mumbai Pune visits. I charge a lower amount than most people since its not a money making exercise for me. Yes, it helps me fill up the seats quickly.

I think car owners should be more "selfish". The more people we have per car, lesser the number of vehicles on the road, ergo everyone gets to their destination quicker. Swami Vivekanand would have appreciated this type of selfishness.
TejashM is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed