Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th January 2016, 11:13   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: After Delhi, Bangalore to adopt odd-even system?

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
Revamping transport is the need of the hour.

Had they used an iota of intellegence, or gathered data they would have found out that Delhi pollution is mainly due to
crop burning in Punjab and Haryana

illegal mining and dumping

ad hoc construction resulting in high spm and dust residue

umpteen transport vehicles older than 15 years spewing out dangerous smoke

Too many diesel gen sets being used in NCR because the government cannot produce and safely distribute enough power

If this issue needs to be solved, we need to get rid of the corrupt quagmire we are in, before looking at sensible alternatives.
We all agree with what you and everyone against the odd-even rule is saying.

However the difference is that the "knee jerk" reaction of odd-even rule has at least woken a lot of people from their stupor of the "comfortable" daily grind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkollar View Post
I welcome Odd-Even only as an eye opener - It starts a debate. Not as an end solution, because it's not practical or effective.

Practical solution needs revamp & reimagining of transport in massive scale. May take up to a decade, if we work sincerely.
+1
Honestly, how many elections have been won in India based on infrastructure development?

At least this odd-even rule has caused pain and grief to the creamy layer who are used to sitting comfortably for 2-3 hours in the air-conditioned haven (=car) isolated from the dust, heat, noise and smoke of the traffic jams.

In addition, corporates have also woken up to the fact that perhaps all employees need not come to the office all the time.

Last edited by alpha1 : 8th January 2016 at 11:19.
Old 8th January 2016, 11:21   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
At least this odd-even rule has caused pain and grief to the creamy layer who are used to sitting comfortably for 2-3 hours in the air-conditioned haven (=car) isolated from the dust, heat, noise and smoke of the traffic jams.
Creamy layer works overseas or travels by corporate jets and helicopters, rarely seen driving one's self to work each day. The chauffeured jet set have multiple cars anyways, how will this policy affect them I wonder? Most of us easily afford or have multiple cars, its just the hassle of choosing an even/odd number, infact my apartment complex provides two underground parking plus a open parking free of cost per flat, incentivizing buying multiple vehicles. I have just one four wheeler because we didn't see the need to buy a vehicle just add to pollution, but thanks to such ad hoc rules, we will be forced to buy a vehicle just to beat the rule. I wonder how many more people like me who choose to live with one car, will actually end up buying multiple cars just to work under silly rules?
apachelongbow is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2016, 11:34   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Creamy layer works overseas or travels by corporate jets and helicopters, rarely seen driving one's self to work each day. The chauffeured jet set have multiple cars anyways, how will this policy affect them I wonder? Most of us easily afford or have multiple cars, its just the hassle of choosing an even/odd number, infact my apartment complex provides two underground parking plus a open parking free of cost per flat, incentivizing buying multiple vehicles. I have just one four wheeler because we didn't see the need to buy a vehicle just add to pollution, but thanks to such ad hoc rules, we will be forced to buy a vehicle just to beat the rule. I wonder how many more people like me who choose to live with one car, will actually end up buying multiple cars just to work under silly rules?
The creamy layer that I refer to is the one that owns a car, utilizes only 1/4th or 1/5th of its capacity and also fumes about the traffic jams and not realizes that it is mainly they who cause inconvenience to lakhs of other people on public transport and not the other way round.

It doesn't matter whether they drive Jaguar or Alto.

If the people (driving single occupied Jaguar or Alto) are happy with the traffic jams, I am not talking about them. They have not woken up.
Old 8th January 2016, 12:46   #64
BHPian

My take on steps to remedy the current mess:

1) Improve average in-city road speeds. Higher average speeds translates to improved fuel efficiency and thereby lesser emissions.

a. Improve roads conditions.

b. Bring in traffic discipline. Its more about being disciplined on the road than having more lanes to accommodate the undisciplined. Enforce compliance to traffic laws by awarding stringent fines from which the traffic cops receive officially a major cut.

c. Plan for traffic flow. Revamp the whole network if required. Stop knee-jerk traffic plans like making a road 1-way today and reversing it next week.

2) Enforce PUC: Current mechanism is a farce. Am sure more than half of the commercial vehicles (and god knows how many private ones), that ply on Bangalore will fare far below the required criteria if PUC is enforced in true spirit.

3) Improve public transport. Much have been said on this.

With the above, at least there could be at least a discern-able change. And most of these (except the public transport) can be implemented in a shorter time frame, IFF the authorities are in the mood.
Old 15th January 2016, 08:45   #65
Senior - BHPian

My take: Government should urgently plan and develop for the future. If not now, in about 10 years most of our cities would be unlivable, no matter how hard we try to patch it up. The central and state governments should start a urban renewal and rejuvenation program in which new master plans are drawn up for all major cities, the infrastructure is revamped to ensure cluster based development where in a person can live and work in a particular locality without going too far for work, recreation, education and healthcare. Each locality must be self sufficient and must be smartly powered, along with sustainable public transport to ensure people are demotivated to use fossil powered cars or bikes. Heavy stress must be placed to develop light rail networks/ metro trains or even electric trolleybuses and trams to provide connectivity. Each and every lane must have cycling tracks and walking footpaths along with shaded avenues to ensure people like to cycle or walk to work. A timeline must be provided for such programs to ensure that cities are transformed within a decade. The cost of this infrastructure redevelopment must be borne by the common citizen either in increased taxes or heavy toll on private car ownership.
Old 15th January 2016, 10:15   #66
BHPian

Quote:
My take: Government should urgently plan and develop for the future. If not now, in about 10 years most of our cities would be unlivable, no matter how hard we try to patch it up. The central and state governments should start a urban renewal and rejuvenation program in which new master plans are drawn up for all major cities, the infrastructure is revamped to ensure cluster based development where in a person can live and work in a particular locality without going too far for work, recreation, education and healthcare. Each locality must be self sufficient and must be smartly powered, along with sustainable public transport to ensure people are demotivated to use fossil powered cars or bikes. Heavy stress must be placed to develop light rail networks/ metro trains or even electric trolleybuses and trams to provide connectivity. Each and every lane must have cycling tracks and walking footpaths along with shaded avenues to ensure people like to cycle or walk to work. A timeline must be provided for such programs to ensure that cities are transformed within a decade. The cost of this infrastructure redevelopment must be borne by the common citizen either in increased taxes or heavy toll on private car ownership.
All these points you have explained seems to be from real estate advertisements
However even to implement one or two of these, there should be vigorous chain of actions. Hardly likely, considering that each move can be contested in courts for personal benefits. Consider how long it has taken for namma metro to just open two small stretches.
Taxing further won't be a solution because our government's problem is not lack of funds, but lack of action and corruption.
Old 15th January 2016, 23:41   #67
Senior - BHPian

How about cars ending with Zero.?

I guess they will be in huge demand as they can ply everyday.

Waseem.....
Old 16th January 2016, 00:09   #68
Team-BHP Support

^ Zero was treated as even in Delhi, and rightly so.
Old 25th January 2016, 19:18   #69
BHPian

I believe that this is not a situation that warrants a lot of humor (No offence meant). We may still reach the stage considering the antics of the Government. Again, if I am able to drive a car (one day the odd numbered and even numbered on the other), is this solving the problem. The number of vehicles remain the same. We need a more rational realistic approach to the situation.

Till we improve the public transport system and improve the conditions of the road, all the other possible solutions sound very unrealistic.
MSMILES is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2016, 22:11   #70
Senior - BHPian

Primary reason for all our pain is that as a state we have failed to plan our cities. Rampant, random unchecked growth has choked of all the major cities, to a point that it needs radical measure to get out of this situation.
To solve cites traffic woes we need a mass transportation system and unfortunately to set things right it will require major rework/redevelopment of the city itself ,just building a metro will not help.
On the other hand I think the government should bring in policies which reduces the need for people to travel long distances within the city limits example schools to admit students from the neighborhood only or within a set perimeter. It may be uncomfortable/ difficult to implement, but drastic measures are required our "chala hai" attitude is not sustainable anymore.
Old 18th February 2016, 12:33   #71
BHPian

Mumbai's municipal corporation proposes ceiling on vehicle registration to curb pollution

The Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC), India's biggest civic body, has proposed a radical overhaul of Mumbai's vehicle usage to combat rising pollution in the Maximum City.

A plan submitted last month suggests that the government could consider three options to cut pollution which has risen to alarming levels:
  1. a complete ban on new car and bike registrations in the city after a cutoff date,
  2. a ceiling on new registrations each year and
  3. approving registrations only after proof of parking space in a housing society or complex is submitted by a buyer.

BMC's proposal might seem draconian, but a study has found disturbing statistics that show how indiscriminate addition of private vehicles was clogging the roads of the city and gives compelling arguments on why public transport needs to be given a push. The average car penetration in India is 18 per 1,000 people but in Mumbai and Delhi, it is 65.

Source: http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/51031455.cms

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks