Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st January 2016, 12:00   #1
BHPian

After Delhi, Bangalore to adopt odd-even system?

A report in 'The Hindu' on Dec 31st says that the Karnataka govt. is also mulling the odd-even rule for Bangalore city. Here is the link http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/...cle8047052.ece
Attached Images

MSAneesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st January 2016, 12:08   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: After Delhi, Bangalore to adopt odd-even system?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSAneesh View Post
A report in 'The Hindu' on Dec 31st says that the Karnataka govt. is also mulling the odd-even rule for Bangalore city. Here is the link http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/...cle8047052.ece
Just when my dad and me were discussing about our WagonR running more than the SX4. Time to split the load equally between the cars.

This will be the most stupid move by the government. From what I see during my daily commute, personal cars are not the actual contributors to the congestion, but
  • Heavy vehicles broken down in prominent places - Mostly BMTC buses which are run till they completely give up - in the middle of the ring road
  • Reckless yellow board taxis which ram themselves into every empty space, be it the wrong side or a non existent lane
  • Lots of repair works going on eating up most of the road(ITPL is the best example)
  • Potholes and humps which considerably slow down traffic(ORR in front of Nandi Toyota, Sarjapur intersection
Lets see how far this can be implemented here.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2016, 12:21   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
This will be the most stupid move by the government. From what I see during my daily commute, personal cars are not the actual contributors to the congestion,
In Delhi, at least there is a pretty well covered metro network. Here, what do we have? Add another 5000 BMTC buses, and the city will come to a standstill !!

The problem is real, but the solution is not!
MSAneesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st January 2016, 12:48   #4
Team-BHP Support

I'm a strong supporter of this odd-even rule thingie.

After Delhi, Bangalore to adopt odd-even system?-20160101_123846.jpg

After Delhi, Bangalore to adopt odd-even system?-20160101_123900.jpg
SmartCat is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 1st January 2016, 13:31   #5
Senior - BHPian

Same here - One car is 4043, other is 5692. Not worried at all.
Old 1st January 2016, 13:41   #6
BHPian

The government and other authorities should prioritize on improving the infrastructure and public transport. I have tried using public transport for my daily commute and its utterly inadequate during rush hours.
sansvk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2016, 13:50   #7
BHPian

Hahaha! We have 2 odds, 1 even and one car is yet to he registered. Will pray for it to be an even number :P
It'll be funny if RTOs start taking bribe from people to choose between odd and even numbers.
Old 1st January 2016, 13:58   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suraj25 View Post
Hahaha! We have 2 odds, 1 even and one car is yet to he registered. Will pray for it to be an even number :P
It'll be funny if RTOs start taking bribe from people to choose between odd and even numbers.
Don't just wait and pray. You can choose and reserve your number. The new online service is launched in Karnataka RTO website. Check it here http://rto.kar.nic.in/#

Along with this, you have the facility to check the vehicle details based on Registration number. I am not a big fan of this, as it displays the engine and chassis number too.
MSAneesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2016, 14:16   #9
BHPian

From the above posts one thing is clear:
a) Those who can afford two or more cars are having a good laugh about this rule, as they can drive their cars on all the days. Whatever is the rule, they can find a similar legal alternative.
b) Those who cannot afford cars, are least bothered. And they are quite happy about it, because at the inconvenience of others, they can enjoy less traffic. Buses can be crowded than normal, though.
It is only those who are having single cars (The privileged Indian Middle class) will find this rule most annoying. And the percentage of such people is less in comparison to the population. Out of this little percentage, the number of people who will actually raise their voice is much more lesser. These are the set of people who have learned to swallow struggles and put up with anything and try to live as quietly as possible. One of the reasons why Delhi is now declaring their scheme a success, be it, even on a holiday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sansvk View Post
The government and other authorities should prioritize on improving the infrastructure and public transport. I have tried using public transport for my daily commute and its utterly inadequate during rush hours.
This is plain fact. The public transport in Bangalore is concentrated on just a few areas. All the buses lead to a few places such as Majestic, Shivaji Nagara or Banashankari. If you staying a few kms away from such routes, you have to travel all the way to one of these stations and get bus from there.
Another important point is cost of using the buses. Majority of the services to the Whitefield ITPL area are Volvo AC Buses, and during the peak time, almost all the buses on this route are Volvo AC. The cost per trip is steep, and hence, if I have to take two such buses to reach office, I better get a One day pass to be economical. And the One day pass costs Rs.140 per day.
Think about it - It would be more or less equal to the fuel cost in a car.
hybridpetrol is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st January 2016, 14:42   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybridpetrol View Post
It is only those who are having single cars (The privileged Indian Middle class) will find this rule most annoying. And the percentage of such people is less in comparison to the population. Out of this little percentage, the number of people who will actually raise their voice is much more lesser. These are the set of people who have learned to swallow struggles and put up with anything and try to live as quietly as possible.
I would love to opt bicycle to ride to work (12 KMs one side, I think I still can manage), if not for the danger of riding it on Bangalore roads.
MSAneesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2016, 15:05   #11
BHPian

Quote:
It would be premature on part of the Karnataka Government to take any decision with respect to the odd-even formula. They should wait for the 15 day report of pollution figures from Delhi. Once, some data is made available, they should be in a position to decide whether this experiment is worth a trial.

Do remember, that the odd-even formula is being tested under a simulated condition in Delhi. Since schools are off for the duration of the experiment, actual benefit accruing from such an experiment is debatable.

Governments should focus on performing city-specific pollution studies in conjunction with IITs and other research organizations. Rather than playing politics in the name of pollution control, they should evolve a plan to target the 3 major sources of pollution.

Scoring some brownie points and getting some media attention won't go far. So, wait for the Delhi experiment.
rdhawan15 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st January 2016, 15:19   #12
Senior - BHPian

Silly frauds demand that you register your vehicle with Karnataka RTO, then proceed to charge the highest road tax, then take all that money and do god-knows-what with it because the roads here are simply terrible and if they ever even do something about it, they will simply patch it up in the worst possible manner and the road will be just as undulated if not more than it already was. One literally has to watch out for stuff and dodge them on Bangalore roads and as if that isn't enough there are unnecessarily tall speed breakers as well First fix this then think about dumb rules like the odd-even one. The government ought to feel obliged to do so as well since they charge so much road tax and demand that you have your car locally registered.

I was the kind of person who'd laugh at my friends in automatic diesels and tell them that I did not care about driving a manual petrol through Hyderabad traffic because I lived for that rare occasion when I get to rev-match down the gears into a corner and extract the full potential of a petrol making it sing as I play with the wide rev-range. Having come to Bangalore for my studies however, I rarely ever drive and do so only when needed. Simply hate the conditions here and have no clue how people put up with such nonsense.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 1st January 2016 at 15:21.
IshaanIan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st January 2016, 15:20   #13
BHPian

Quote:
I would love to opt bicycle to ride to work (12 KMs one side, I think I still can manage), if not for the danger of riding it on Bangalore roads.
Like many other developed countries, there is no separate lanes for bicycling in Bangalore (or any Indian metro for that matter).
Very rarely just in one or two neighbourhoods such concept raises and then it fades away (like Jayanagar Bicycle lanes).
To reach office though, I cannot imagine how we can ride safely in a bicycle, passing through many high traffic routes. Bicycles, in particular tend to become invisible to many two wheeler riders and cars, due to their thin figure.
It is pointless to get into how the developed lanes have separate lanes for every kind of vehicles, because of our democracy structure and the way in which our cities were planned or unplanned.
hybridpetrol is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2016, 17:42   #14
BHPian

That's sad. :( .Bangalore infra cannot even hold a candle to Delhi infrastructure and they are planning to implement it in Bangalore? The current government in Karnataka is totally a disastrous one with the title having only one state in India where the RTO work is limited only for catching non-KA vehicles and they will see this as a chance to make money by collecting fine. And that will be the only moto for them to go ahead with this rule!!!
Old 1st January 2016, 18:44   #15
BHPian

After Delhi Bangaloreans too to brace for odd-even rule?

It is easier to catch offenders in Bangalore. The traffic police don't even have to stop anyone. They just walkover to the 'moving' cars and challan the driver.

The problem could be that a car can get challan'ed twice in one trip as one trip from work to home could routinely be spread over 2 days!

Last edited by chakri400 : 1st January 2016 at 18:47.
chakri400 is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks