Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Do you want odd-even policy to continue in Delhi beyond the Jan 15th deadline?
Yes, I can feel the oxygen in the air for a change 14 7.14%
Yes, travel is a breeze 86 43.88%
No, highly inconvenienced on days I cannot take my car out 63 32.14%
No, nothing changed - I continue to take pills for my allergies/asthama! 33 16.84%
Voters: 196. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 9th January 2016, 12:24   #31
BHPian

re: Poll: Do you want the odd-even policy to continue? Only NCR BHPians please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post

The roads such as Shanti Path, India Gate area doesn't come as heavily polluted despite very high volume of vehicle throughout the day, why ?
Because, its virtually dust free and green. Why cant same infrastructure be made at places like Anand Vihar (which is broadcasted throughout the day as dangerously high polluted place).
I think that's a very pertinent observation. And that is exactly the kind of questions that needs to be asked. We need to have contextual reference while trying to establish the change in pollution levels. Given proximity to UP border, Anand vihar is a melting pot of sorts when it comes traffic and the type of vehicles that ply there. You have all kinds of diesel buses coming from UP, some not so well-maintained. Also not to forget the complete lack of traffic sense in the public vehicles stationed there.

There are conflicting reports from the government and different agencies with regards to impact on pollution levels. It doesn't seem very optimistic when the present government comes across as hell-bent on trying to prove a point.
Old 9th January 2016, 12:59   #32
BHPian

re: Poll: Do you want the odd-even policy to continue? Only NCR BHPians please!

Well, it appears that almost everyone is happy with the reduction in congestion resulting out of odd-even. The primary objective of the formula was to reduce pollution, and the impact on pollution is marginal improvement or no improvement as per conflicting reports.

Clearly, all of us want clear air. Whether someone supports odd-even or not is a secondary aspect. Odd-even is not an apt solution for reducing pollution, though it works well in controlling congestion. Is there a better way to control congestion in the city? And, for sure, we have better ways to control pollution that target the main sources such as dust and 2-wheelers that are not maintained well.
Old 9th January 2016, 13:47   #33
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Poll: Do you want the odd-even policy to continue? Only NCR BHPians please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
Why can't we see the results of the poll unless we vote?
Sure you can. Click on the view poll results link on the bottom right of the poll. Even guests can view the results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chakri400 View Post
I don't know if I can edit or modify the poll.
Editing a poll by adding / removing options messes up the calculations / results. We usually prefer to delete the poll and start a new one, but that's not required here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordvader View Post
But then decreased congestion was always going to be a by-product of this policy. And from what I have read it has not really solved the problem it was intended for.
How so?

Less number of cars on the road = lesser polluting vehicles.

Lesser traffic = higher average speed = higher fuel economy = lower pollution.
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th January 2016, 14:08   #34
BHPian

I believe option for voting should be there in the mobile app also hence can't vote. I am a medical college student residing in east Delhi. I bought a Honda jazz this year even numbered. My father is in Meerut and he has an even number toyota fortuner, even numbered wagon R and an 11 year old odd numbered innova. Coming to Delhi is now a pain for him even though he has multiple cars. Public transport between Meerut and Delhi is pathetic. Overcrowded buses are the only means of transport. Coming to Delhi for any work or the world book fair this week is next to impossible. He can technically get the innova to Delhi but the NGT rule of banning 10year old vehicles makes us sceptical. So now instead of using the much less polluting petrol jazz for commuting we will be using the 11 year old innova and still fear not being caught using a more than 10year old car in Delhi. I don't know how this rule helps and should be scrapped at the earliest.
ToyotaFan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2016, 14:22   #35
BHPian

I am strongly in favour of the odd-even formula to be implemented permanently.

The travel in Delhi earlier took most of the time and one was just behind the wheel stuck somewhere in a jam.

With this formula, driving in Delhi has become a cakewalk.

I stay at Gurgaon and had to attend a seminar at PHDCCI at 2.00 p.m. on Tuesday. Left home at 12.30 p.m, taking a margin of half hour and drive time of one hour (through the NH8). Much to my surprise, I reached PHDCCI at 1.10 p.m, with very sparse traffic on the outer ring road. Huge saving in fuels also coupled with very less fatigue.

Though there might be some teething problems, but still, way to go for Delhi-NCR is what I feel. Don't have any idea of it having reduced pollution though.

Oh, yes. I voted for option 2.
deepfusion is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th January 2016, 14:24   #36
Senior - BHPian

Voted NO.
The biggest reason is it doesn't solves the primary issue for which it has been implemented, the pollution.
Yes, like others I would also love less congestion throughout the year. But, it's simply not possible in the long run. We all are cooperating cos it's just for a few days. Make it permanent and most of us will get a second car. Specially, the business people cos a business can't run smoothly with such a rule.

AAP can politicize it as much as they want calling it their so called success but the ground reality is quite different. I hope HC can see the truth and scrap it on Monday itself.
The real long term solutions for pollution control are suggested by many on our forum itself. However, our govt. Is not interested in doing things which can inconvenience them and make them accountable.

No offense to anyone but mostly people in favor of the rule are either doing a 9 to 6 job with metro connectivity and no commuting in between for meetings or collections. And the second are the ones with 2 cars of both odd/even numbers so they are happy using their car on all days with less traffic.

Last edited by harry10 : 9th January 2016 at 14:36.
harry10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th January 2016, 14:45   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

How so?

Agreed, the equation holds good. But from what I have read and heard, the share of pollution attributable to cars was not so high to start from. I'd rather revise the equation to -

less cars = less traffic = less congestion = less pollution from commercial / polluting vehicles getting a free run due to less cars

I understand an argument could be that pollution is pollution, and whichever we can solve for is better doing nothing. But the way I look at is that why shouldn't we get the big rocks in first and then dump sand over them instead of the other way round.
lordvader is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th January 2016, 17:57   #38
BHPian

I voted for Highly Inconvenience, for the simple reason being bad public transport. I travel 40 km daily one way to work and all my NCR folks would understand Greater Noida area. Its pretty much unsafe late nights and the biggest hindrance is no public transport from Delhi. Also taxing Cabs is like shelling a bomb out of pocket without company reimbursement

But yes traffic is definitely reduced during those peak hours and somewhat noticed more oxygen to breath.

Its a mixed feeling for this odd even formulae.
Ashdel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2016, 20:27   #39
BHPian

I opted for No. Folks who can afford cars will buy another vehicle to compensate in the long run. Moreover, the public transport system isn't mature enough to take care of the additional load, particularly for individuals working in Gurgaon, Noida.
Old 9th January 2016, 20:31   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Sure you can. Click on the view poll results link on the bottom right of the poll. Even guests can view the results.

Editing a poll by adding / removing options messes up the calculations / results. We usually prefer to delete the poll and start a new one, but that's not required here.

How so?

GTO

Your logic is sound, but the pollution caused in Delhi NCR is not the doing of Motor Vehicles ALONE. The city is very dusty with a lot of construction activity, if the government can handle that (if they want to they can) it will help curb pollution to a larger degree.

That said there is no denying that More cars = More pollution - the problem with our country is the NON-IMPLEMENTATION of laws ! As we all know, the fuel stations sell adultrated petrol & diesel - IF the government is serious - they should first put a check on that, it will automatically cut pollution, right ?

Delhi was not permitting Diesel taxis to run there, but the fact of the matter was that the cops took INR 2000 to INR 5000 from the taxi & let them run, the drivers paid as an impounded vehicle takes 7-10 days to be released, think of the taxi guy, he makes about 2-4k per day, so finds it cheaper & easier to pay the cop !!

Pollution checking is Hog Wash - I can get a PUC without even the car being present there, as long as that fellow has checked my car before & has the pic of my number plate !

Builders are supposed to have sheets encasing an under construction building - the rule was implemented in letter & spirit a few months back, but that is history now !

Bottomline is the government CAN reduce pollution by many other ways than the odd-even formula. This route was chosen as it will possibly be the most visible to the common man - read VOTER

There is however a marked difference in travel time & congestion within Delhi, the borders are another story though !

Cheers
Old 9th January 2016, 21:43   #41
Senior - BHPian

Believing that odd-even rule can act as a panacea for air pollution is being foolish. Yet I support the continuation of this policy. It has significantly de-congested the roads in Delhi and atleast improved my quality of life!

But I hope more concrete measures will be taken at all levels and catering to all aspects. With a non-partisan attitude and malice towards none, I am very happy that this scheme was tried.
Old 10th January 2016, 01:21   #42
BHPian

Guys

I think this policy is good and I support such initiatives on principle , BUT, there must be a strong public transport system to back it up. Which , unfortunately , is not there . So for someone like me who lives in Gurgaon and Works in Noida , therefore crossing the streets of Delhi twice every day , this is totally unrealistic expectation and very very problematic.

Note that it's really good for those who travel shorter distances everyday , maybe within Delhi , and even if coming/going to/from Gurgaon and Noida , total distance travelled is very less (maybe 25/30 KM maximum for both ways) , and they don't have to bear the pain of last mile connectivity after Metro (or DTC Buses etc.!!) ; and pollution reduces significantly when all those cars are not plying , I have felt it myself.

However even if I support the initiative and agree that the pollution level in Delhi is too much and must be controlled , my vote is a big NO , highly inconvenient .

As for me , I am doing work from home up to 15th January for those dates , but I am not sure what happens if the Delhi government apply this thing permanently without making adequate arrangements for public transport (which is an uphill task and can not be solved in near future).
TechNomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2016, 01:24   #43
BHPian

I live in Delhi and I used to take the car to work daily prior to the odd-even policy. My workplace is around 40 kms from my home(one-way) and since I am in business, sometimes I have to visit different places too. In short, whenever I take the car, I usually have a running of about 90-100 kms.

My car is an odd-numbered car so I can take it out only on the odd days. I take the metro on the even days but I say it is a bit inconvenient for me due to some reasons:
1) My workplace is literally in the outskirts of Delhi and it is like, 7.5 kms away from the last metro station.
2) I get a conveyance easily from the metro, however while returning, I can hardly find an auto. Even Ola taxi/auto are rarely available there. I usually have to depend on other people to drop me to the railway station. Yesterday, I had to wait for around 35 minutes before I found an auto.
3) I am not able to visit places where I have outsourced my work/clients etc. since conveyance is not available easily in that place.

However, the rush in metro has reduced to a considerable extent and frequencies of the metro also has increased a lot! If this odd-even scheme really helps in reducing the pollution in the city, I won't mind taking the metro every alternative day. I can try planning my work schedule in a way which gels up with the days on which I bring my car to work.
However, if this scheme is extended for a long time, I might be tempted to buy a two-wheeler or a CNG vehicle to be parked at the metro station(in case my work starts suffering).

When I hit the road on the 'odd days', I didn't notice much difference in the volume of traffic on the road. Maybe since I drive on a route which doesn't have many metro station (Ring rode, AIIMS to Wazirpur), the traffic on this route has not decreased. Also, I couldn't notice much difference in the air quality of Delhi. Maybe technical analysis of the air quality will project a better view!

EDIT: Two of the major components of pollution is dust from construction and smoke via industries. Government should try hard on controlling these two sources. A number of multi-story buildings are being constructed in every other locality of Delhi. Even a building in my locality, which took almost 6 months to be demolished, didn't use any cover/shield to control the dust emitting from the demolishment. The government should really concentrate on these two factors also!

Last edited by parth.jain : 10th January 2016 at 01:35.
parth.jain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2016, 09:38   #44
BHPian

Another factor that has reduced congestion on the road is that schools have been shut by Delhi govt order till Jan 15, so a lot of traffic that involves parents dropping their kids off at school is just not there. This has other side effects i.e. parents taking vacation till the 15th. Parents going to work earlier/different times during the day since they are not tied to the 8am/9am slots. Even in Gurgaon when the schools are not open makes a lot of difference in the 8-9am period, I pass a couple of schools on the way and its a breeze to cross them in the mornings even though we don't have odd-even in Gurgaon.

Great to see reduced congestion but the policy needs to stay for at least 3-6 months and be comprehensive i.e. 2 wheelers, dust, proper pollution checks, ability for trucks to bypss delhi instead of passing through etc. Just banning 4 wheelers i.e. middle class mode of transportation for 15 days will only make 5-10% difference in pollution levels, and be used more for PR hype than anything else since this requires the least amount of effort and political will from the Delhi govt. So let's hope this becomes an exercise in improving NCR rather than another political pat-on-the-back.
joshiviv is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th January 2016, 15:30   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

My vote is for option 1. Based on my observations the air is cleaner, the winter fog notwithstanding. The reduced congestion = faster driving = less engine time x thousands of vehicles = less pollution.

The scheme has enjoyed huge support from the young in my company. At our workplace HR got folks organized into car pools. At home (all our cars are odd numbers!!) we have got ourselves organized on daily trips into or through Delhi's municipal boundaries with a mix of pooling with my brother-in-law, using the taxi service and the metro (especially for the below 25's in the family). To the elders in the clan I've simply said travel on odd dates - plan in advance. It has worked well thus far. I firmly believe the scheme should become permanent. In that case we will invest in a Reva e20, sell our Skoda Superb and get on with life.

Forgive my saying this but in our country we want things done but don't want to be the ones asked to sacrifice or contribute or effect change. It is all very well to theorize about building superior public transport and easier to forget how long it will take to do it given Govt administration's inefficiency and Delhi Govt's limited budgets. The Delhi-NCR area has a population of over 2.17 crore people (2011 census) which is more than the population of countries like Sweden, Finland, Austria, Belgium, Netherlands, Portugal, Zambia, Sri Lanka etc. I wonder if the antagonists even comprehend the complexity and magnitude of the challenges that Delhi-NCR faces. Let's take what steps we can, while it is not too late and simultaneously build the public transport system and last mile connectivity. And in the meantime if it means that the upper middle classes and the rich have to make some sacrifices I am happy to be counted in for the ride.

BTW the Mumbai Metropolitan area is just a whisker behind in population at 2.07 crores in 2011.

Last edited by V.Narayan : 10th January 2016 at 15:33.
V.Narayan is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks