Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 8th January 2016, 22:38   #1
BHPian

Bitter experience with Myles Cars - An accident & the ensuing nightmare

Hello All,

This is an account of the experience I had with one of the popular Self-Drive Rental Companies - Myles, recently.

The reason I’m writing this post is because Self Drive Rentals are becoming quite popular nowadays, even for short trips and if any of you are thinking of hiring a vehicle, besides taking a decision based upon the cheapest cost, it will also be quite useful to consider which agency is the most responsive and efficient, in the event of a mishap/accident.

I know most of us don’t think along those lines when hiring a car (I didn't), especially when it’s for a longish duration and cost is a big consideration, but mishaps do occur. And they usually happen suddenly and without warning.

This is not vendetta against the company - just a narration of facts, as they happened. I am quite unhappy with the overall experience I had with Myles, but keeping in line with the spirit of this forum, I’ve tried to be as objective as possible.

Bitter experience with Myles Cars - An accident & the ensuing nightmare-damaged-swift.jpg
The wrecked Swift

First, a few facts and figures -

Rental Booking Date - 24/09/2015

Rental Booking Reference Number - 6555881

Rental Duration - 01/10/2015 to 15/10/2015

Type of Car - Swift VDI

Booking Amount - Rs. 26,230/-

Pre-Auth Amount (Security Deposit) - Rs. 15,000/-

Pickup Location - Terminal 1D IGIA, New Delhi

Pickup Date & Time - 01/10/2015 @ 1500 Hrs

Drop off Date & Time - 15/10/2015 @ 2330 Hrs

Myles Hub From to Which Car Belonged - Rangpuri Hub, New Delhi

Total Kilometres Run - 1703

Bitter experience with Myles Cars - An accident & the ensuing nightmare-myles-booking-receipt.jpg
Here's a Copy of the Booking Receipt

The reason for renting the car was a 14 day trip to Himachal Pradesh. I’ve outlined that trip in the “Travelogue” section of the forum. Here is the link to the thread, incase you would like to read it - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ravelogue.html

Here’s the summary of my experience with Myles -

I came on time, but the car arrived 40 Minutes late. Plus it was dirty - oil stains on the seats, very dusty dashboard and documents strewn on the back seat, plus dusty, dirt streaked exterior - this despite the car being new, with 137 Km on the odo. I called up the Myles Hub in Rangpuri and informed the Manager, but didn’t see much sense in delaying things further - I was running late for a few appointments and decided to let it slide.

At the time I made the booking, Myles was charging Rs. 30,000/- as the Security Amount for the Swift. This security amount is to be paid, by credit card at the time of picking up the car from the location. By a twist of fate, my credit card simply refused to work on the day that I picked up the vehicle. I don’t know what the trouble was, but after trying it on multiple swipe machines, the payment just would not go through.

I had already paid the entire booking amount earlier and cancelling at this stage was not an option, so I went to the Myles Rangpuri Hub in Delhi and had a word with the managers. They were quite co-operative and agreed to take a Debit Card payment of Rs. 15,000/- instead. They also had the vehicle cleaned while I was making the payment.

Finally, I had the car and was on my way.

Here’s a timeline of events covering the period before, during and after the accident -

01/10/2015 1600 Hrs - Car collected from Myles Rangpuri Hub & I’m on my merry way.

02/10/2015 0600 Hrs - I leave New Delhi for Himachal Pradesh.

02/10/2015 1800 Hrs - I arrive in Shimla.

02/10/2015 - 08/10/2015 - Himachal road trip going as planned - no mishaps, everyone happy.

09/10/2015 0900 Hrs - My Swift VDI collides head-on with a Sumo Taxi (who was on the wrong side of the road) on a blind turn. The accident location was on a SH, about 19 Kms away from Chamba, HP.

09/10/2015 1930 Hrs - Myles finally managed to arrange a tow-truck to arrive on the scene - 10.5 Hours after the accident occurred and 7 hours after the Sumo was towed away.

11/10/2015 1930 Hrs - Owner of the Maruti Service Centre in Chamba (who arranged the tow) calls me repeatedly and tells me that Myles is not answering his calls and that someone has to pay for the tow vehicle (Rs. 7,000/-)

11/10/2015 2000 Hrs - I call up Myles and tell them to get in touch with the Service Centre Owner and his angry calls to me finally stop. I don’t blame the guy - he arranged for the tow, based upon Myles assuring him that they would foot the bill and then just went underground, leaving him high and dry, without any communication for 3 days.

14/10/2015 1800 Hrs - Myles Rangpuri Hub calls me and tells me that I have to return the Swift to them on 15/10/2015, as scheduled. I inform them that the vehicle has met with an accident, since they seemed to be blissfully unaware of it.

14/10/2015 1830 Hrs - I get an angry phone call from one of the Managers (Abhishek) in the Rangpuri hub, asking me why I didn’t tell him about the accident?

15/10/2015 2330 Hrs - I get a call from a driver at the Rangpuri Hub, telling me that he’s waiting for me to drop off the Swift and telling me that I have exceeded the drop off time. I explained to him about the accident and hung up.

16/10/2015 - 10/12/2015 - I get a few calls over the next two months, from various Myles executives, inquiring about the details of the accident - the same details, asked by different people.

10/12/2015 1254 Hrs - I get a mail from the Myles Reserve Team, with a very delayed, very flawed invoice attached, in which the Pre-Auth amount is wrongly stated and no account is given for the deducted funds - screenshot of the erroneous receipt is appended below.

06/01/2016 1617 Hrs - I sent an email to the Myles Reserve team asking for the insurance estimate, on the basis of which the entire Pre-Auth amount of Rs. 15,000 has been deducted. I also made a post to their FB page and got an apologetic e-mail in response.

07/01/2016 1215 Hrs - I got a call from the Myles Call Centre, informing me that they have looked into my complaint on their FB page and are now going to send me the Insurance Estimate, as well as my liability for the damages.

07/01/2016 1226 Hrs - I get an e-mail with the Repair Estimate/Job Card, which pegs the damages at Rs. 77,600/-

Still waiting for them to send me an account of the Insurance Liability and my share of the liability. Despite assurances, I have still not received anything, so far.

Bitter experience with Myles Cars - An accident & the ensuing nightmare-myles-invoice.jpg
A Copy of the Erroneous Invoice

Now, keeping the above time line in mind, these are the problems that I have faced with Myles -

1. Their Call-Centre is useless. About the only useful things they can do is to confirm booking details and answer questions regarding the booking procedure. If you have any kind of problems, all they do is pass on the number of some other Manager/Department/Driver to you. When the accident happened, they just gave me the number of the Recovery and Towing department and told me to call them.

2. Despite the accident happening quite close to Chamba, which has a big Maruti Service Station & Showroom, it took the Recovery/Towing division 8 Hours to arrange for the tow (and it took 2.5 hours for the truck to arrive). This was despite me repeatedly telling them that there were good facilities in Chamba. It showed a total lack of co-ordination and common sense on their part. Information like this is freely available on the net - it took them 8 hours to do this, while me and my co-driver stood by the side of a narrow mountain road, keeping guard over the Swift.

3. There is no co-ordination between the various departments in Myles. After the Recovery/Towing department had the vehicle towed, the Rentals/Accounting department was complete unaware of the fact that one of their vehicles had met with an accident and that the Towing Service had to be paid for the same. According to the Manager of the Maruti Service Centre in Chamba, the vehicle was towed into their workshop and was just lying there for a 4-5 days, without anyone from Myles contacting them about the Insurance/Repair procedure. His attempts to contact them were also in vain, because he only had the number of their call centre, which wasn’t very helpful either.

4. The most shocking thing was that the Manager in the Rangpuri Hub (A gent called Abhishek), was TOTALLY UNAWARE of the fact that one of his vehicles had met with an accident. Finally, when he came to know (5 days after the accident), he called me up and yelled at me for not informing him about the incident. I had had enough by this time and blasted him over the phone for their incompetence.

5. The accounting department is careless, to the point of gross incompetence. Myles has a policy, in which the customer has to pay whatever the Insurance does not cover, from the security amount. The Security Amount which I paid was Rs. 15,000/- Not only did they wrongly mention the security amount as Rs. 5,000/- but they also deducted the entire amount and neglected to give me an account of the Insurance Expenditure. I know that the accident occurred and that I was liable to pay out of my security deposit, but I think it is my right to know what the insurance estimate was and how much out of that was my liability. Instead, Myles just deducted the entire Rs. 15,000/- no explanations given.

6. After their hasty reaction, which followed my post on their FB wall, they sent me the damage invoice, but no account of the Insurance Liability. To my thinking, this means that they are either very sloppy in keeping their accounts, or they have simply swallowed the entire Rs. 15,000/- security amount, without actually deducting what was not covered by Insurance and refunding the balance to me. What the actual story is, will only be determined once Myles finally decides to send me the Insurance Estimate.

Bitter experience with Myles Cars - An accident & the ensuing nightmare-myles-fb-post.jpg
Screenshot of the comment which I made to the Myles FB Page

Bitter experience with Myles Cars - An accident & the ensuing nightmare-myles-damage-invoice.jpg
Job Card/Damage Estimate sent to me after the FB post

I’ve hired vehicles from Zoomcar in the past and decided to give Myles a go, because they were working out to be Rs. 10,000/- cheaper. I regret that decision now. Zoomcar charges extra and reimburses the fuel costs. Myles does not pay for fuel.

If you’re going on a road trip, where you will be doing a lot of driving, then the cost works out to be practically the same, all things considered.

This is not an endorsement for Zoomcar, but I have had a much better experience with them in the past. It didn’t involve any accidents, but the overall experience was quite good. I’ve read a report about another BHPian (DevilsCry) who met with an accident in a Zoomcar Vehicle and according to his post they handled it pretty well (Link - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ars-fleet.html).

Anyway, I hope this post helps people make a more informed decision about hiring vehicles from Self-Drive Rental Agencies and not make the same mistake I did, by focussing only on the cash savings, which all said and done, are only relative and quite illusory. In the end, the costs work out to pretty much the same.

As for me, I will not be using Self Drive Rentals from Myles, ever again. Their attitude during this entire episode has been one of total incompetence and apathy. Like several other service providers in our country, Myles too, seems to be following the mantra of giving slipshod service and charging top dollar for it.

I'll update this thread as and when Myles sends me the Proper Insurance Estimate & my share of the liability.

Last edited by ads1485 : 10th January 2016 at 14:04.
ads1485 is offline   (52) Thanks
Old 10th January 2016, 14:19   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: Bitter experience with Myles Cars - An accident & the ensuing nightmare

Taking live, thanks for sharing.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2016, 16:28   #3
BHPian

This is the reason that I always prefer zoomcar for renting cars. They have a maximum liability policy of Rs 5k and their customer care though not top of the line, is clear enough and fairly helpful. Their cars are always clean and its a hassle free process overall. I have rented a city on numerous occasions and an XUV recently and my experience has been smooth to say the least.
bking is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th January 2016, 12:39   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Bitter experience with Myles Cars - An accident & the ensuing nightmare

Damn, that's horrendous handling of the situation on Myles' part. Clearly, there is an absolute lack of co-ordination & customer care at the back end. I've had a great experience with Myles, however it didn't involve a crash.

They've spoken of Rs. 400 crores in investments by 2016. Would be good if some of that $$$ went into customer service. End of the day, 1 happy customer will bring in 10 others. An unhappy customer will drive away a 100.
GTO is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 11th January 2016, 15:13   #5
BHPian

Hi

Hope neither you nor any of the other occupants sustained injuries, could not make that part out in your post. I dont think you need worry about the security Deposit given that it was charged electronically.

Your experience is indeed regrettable, Myles still needs to get its act together when it comes to the self drive business. However, I do think that the model where you pay the base rental and pay for fuel is economical that the 'all inclusive' model in the event that you are driving a lot since the base rental ideally is significantly lower than the fuel included option and for the latter, every additional km is charged an exorbitant 12 - 15 rupees/ km as opposed to the actual cost of Rs 3 odd per km accounting for diesel fuel economy.

But that is a secondary conversation, glad that you have survived to tell the tale.
hothatchaway is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2016, 18:42   #6
BHPian

First of all, looks like you have handled the whole situation in a very composed and mature way. Kudos to you for that.

My first experience with Zoomcar wasn't exactly smooth. I took an xuv, which actually was quite beaten up and unclean (vomit from previous trip), but I took it anyways for not causing delays on outstation trip. Then the tyre got punctured, and the Stepney had already been punctured. And the general condition of all tyres was quite worn out. Of course, there was no customer care number reachable.

I got in touch with the CEO of the company, and to his credit, he apologized and later on refunded the full cost of the trip. This does not take away the danger we had with weak tyres in an Xuv which is very much a highway tourer. My point here is that this continues to be a case of buyer beware, and we have to continue to be careful in these cases.
anshuman_v is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th January 2016, 19:07   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
.......Would be good if some of that $$$ went into customer service. End of the day, 1 happy customer will bring in 10 others. An unhappy customer will drive away a 100.
Nobody seems to care two hoots for customer service at a majority of the mango man brands (there are some rare exceptions, but far too few to matter statistically). Premium/upmarket brands may differ but that's a different ball-game altogether.

The strategy with most brands/services these days is to sell as aggressively as possible, and hope the increased inflow of customers is enough to negate any customers leaving due to a shoddy experience. The best one can hope (and usually gets) these days is an automated apology, and some refund if one raises a stink high enough. That's cutting losses post facto, not customer service.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th January 2016, 23:23   #8
BHPian

An happily planned holiday ending up in an accident and a nightmarish experience with the rental company..difficult to digest indeed. You had put up with it well..However, when the mistake was not on your side, why did they deduct 15k? Post the accident you would have had enough proof to prove that the accident was not caused due to your mistake right? I trust you should not be paying them for this damage. Hope I'm correct.
gabrielthomas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2016, 00:56   #9
BHPian

Sorry to hear that friend. It will be very disheartening to end a joy tour abruptly on account of an accident and over and above that dealing with a bunch of jokers.

I have rented Zoom cars and their policies and terms and conditions are pretty clear. They take 5K deposit for all cars, be it Figo or GLA. In case of an accident, the customer is liable to pay Rs 5000/- which is fair.

I saw an XUV500 with Myles self drive sticker and wanted to check on Myles. Their website is hopeless, there is no complete information, no proper links and does not give a clear picture on the rentals.

On the contrary Zoom car website has a neat simple layout, explaining all terms and conditions and policy, the app is super useful and very user friendly. Booking a car takes 5 mins based on availability and taking delivery is a breeze, fill in the check list in the app and you are good to go, hardly takes 10mins.

Usually these cars have bumper to bumper insurance (0 dep) and as you have mentioned its a new car, Pls check on that as well. Also check what will be your liability, it cannot be 15k they are taking you for a ride.

Do not leave these guys, make them pay for their incompetence. Spoil their peace and keep eating their brains until you have got eveything clearly in a mail.
Hope you get a positive resolution.

Last edited by Karthik Chandra : 12th January 2016 at 01:03.
Karthik Chandra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2016, 13:10   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bking View Post
This is the reason that I always prefer zoomcar for renting cars. They have a maximum liability policy of Rs 5k and their customer care though not top of the line, is clear enough and fairly helpful. Their cars are always clean and its a hassle free process overall. I have rented a city on numerous occasions and an XUV recently and my experience has been smooth to say the least.
You're right, bking. Though not top of the line, Zoomcar's customer care is far more responsive and effective than Myles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Damn, that's horrendous handling of the situation on Myles' part. Clearly, there is an absolute lack of co-ordination & customer care at the back end. I've had a great experience with Myles, however it didn't involve a crash.

They've spoken of Rs. 400 crores in investments by 2016. Would be good if some of that $$$ went into customer service. End of the day, 1 happy customer will bring in 10 others. An unhappy customer will drive away a 100.
Hi GTO, it looks like Myles is letting their profiteering instincts get the better of them. They probably had some quality control when they started out, but all of that is fast disappearing.

Thanks to forums such as these, unhappy customers such as myself atleast have a hope in hell of driving away those 100 others

But seriously, roadside assistance and the subsequent follow up, is a very very essential part of hiring a self-drive rental. I hope this post serves as a cautionary tale to people not only hiring from Myles, but also from the slew of other, smaller operators who are jumping onto the Self-Drive Rental bandwagon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothatchaway View Post
Hope neither you nor any of the other occupants sustained injuries, could not make that part out in your post. I dont think you need worry about the security Deposit given that it was charged electronically.

Your experience is indeed regrettable, Myles still needs to get its act together when it comes to the self drive business. However, I do think that the model where you pay the base rental and pay for fuel is economical that the 'all inclusive' model in the event that you are driving a lot since the base rental ideally is significantly lower than the fuel included option and for the latter, every additional km is charged an exorbitant 12 - 15 rupees/ km as opposed to the actual cost of Rs 3 odd per km accounting for diesel fuel economy.

But that is a secondary conversation, glad that you have survived to tell the tale.
Hi hothatchaway. Thank you for your concern. Fortunately, all I had was a minor case of whiplash, but nothing more. Both vehicles had slowed down significantly and all occupants of both vehicles were safe.

As for your point about the cost savings, yes base rentals do work out to be cheaper, but only marginally so, once you factor in the money that you spend for fuel. In some cases, the free-fuel model, actually works out to be cheaper than the base rental one.

But all that is besides the point - the main thing here is, that either way, you're only going to end up saving a few thousand rupees. Is that much money really worth the trouble of hiring a vehicle from an incompetent company with a very poor support network, in case anything goes wrong? I thought it was a good idea to save a few thousand bucks and now I'm paying the price for it

Quote:
Originally Posted by anshuman_v View Post
First of all, looks like you have handled the whole situation in a very composed and mature way. Kudos to you for that.

My first experience with Zoomcar wasn't exactly smooth. I took an xuv, which actually was quite beaten up and unclean (vomit from previous trip), but I took it anyways for not causing delays on outstation trip. Then the tyre got punctured, and the Stepney had already been punctured. And the general condition of all tyres was quite worn out. Of course, there was no customer care number reachable.

I got in touch with the CEO of the company, and to his credit, he apologized and later on refunded the full cost of the trip. This does not take away the danger we had with weak tyres in an Xuv which is very much a highway tourer. My point here is that this continues to be a case of buyer beware, and we have to continue to be careful in these cases.
Thanks anshuman_v - yeah, when dealing with incompetents such as these, at least one side has to be mature and composed!!

Myles has a very fragmented network - it seems like anyone who owns a fleet of commercial vehicles, signs a contract and slaps on a Myles sticker on the back window. They're pumping in $$$ and focussed on profteering, but customer service has take a back seat. Quality control and enforcement of minimum standards is completely absent. Accountability is always a problem in a fragmented and haphazard organization such as this.

Zoomcar has always been more far more responsive. They've got their own problems, but the main thing is that they at least listen to their customers and resolutions to problems are usually in favor of the customer, when he/she has a valid argument.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Nobody seems to care two hoots for customer service at a majority of the mango man brands (there are some rare exceptions, but far too few to matter statistically). Premium/upmarket brands may differ but that's a different ball-game altogether.

The strategy with most brands/services these days is to sell as aggressively as possible, and hope the increased inflow of customers is enough to negate any customers leaving due to a shoddy experience. The best one can hope (and usually gets) these days is an automated apology, and some refund if one raises a stink high enough. That's cutting losses post facto, not customer service.
You hit the nail on the head. This is exactly the problem with the majority of service providers in our country. In fact, it is so deeply ingrained in our culture, that even though we spend money, we EXPECT to get shoddy service in return.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabrielthomas View Post
An happily planned holiday ending up in an accident and a nightmarish experience with the rental company..difficult to digest indeed. You had put up with it well..However, when the mistake was not on your side, why did they deduct 15k? Post the accident you would have had enough proof to prove that the accident was not caused due to your mistake right? I trust you should not be paying them for this damage. Hope I'm correct.
Hi gabrielthomas. Myles claimed insurance for the damaged car and according to them, a certain amount of damage was not covered by the insurance - so that remaining amount comes out of the customer's security deposit (Rs. 15k in my case). It does not matter whose fault it was - I don't have a problem with that. My problem is with them not giving me a proper Insurance Estimate and an estimate of my liability. What they are sending me is random figures on e-mail and damage invoices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karthik Chandra View Post
Sorry to hear that friend. It will be very disheartening to end a joy tour abruptly on account of an accident and over and above that dealing with a bunch of jokers.

I have rented Zoom cars and their policies and terms and conditions are pretty clear. They take 5K deposit for all cars, be it Figo or GLA. In case of an accident, the customer is liable to pay Rs 5000/- which is fair.

I saw an XUV500 with Myles self drive sticker and wanted to check on Myles. Their website is hopeless, there is no complete information, no proper links and does not give a clear picture on the rentals.

On the contrary Zoom car website has a neat simple layout, explaining all terms and conditions and policy, the app is super useful and very user friendly. Booking a car takes 5 mins based on availability and taking delivery is a breeze, fill in the check list in the app and you are good to go, hardly takes 10mins.

Usually these cars have bumper to bumper insurance (0 dep) and as you have mentioned its a new car, Pls check on that as well. Also check what will be your liability, it cannot be 15k they are taking you for a ride.

Do not leave these guys, make them pay for their incompetence. Spoil their peace and keep eating their brains until you have got eveything clearly in a mail.
Hope you get a positive resolution.
Hi Karthik, thanks for your concern. You're right, Myles is not giving me the complete picture and that is exactly why I have a problem with them.

If the 15K has been spent correctly, all I want is a record of it's spending - A proper insurance estimate and my share of the liability, which is somehow a very difficult task for them.

They are coming up with new stories every day. Lets see what develops - I'll keep this thread updated. Cheers.
ads1485 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2016, 10:46   #11
BHPian

Hi All,

So this is an update regarding the invoices that were due from Myles.

After posting this on Team-BHP and sending a couple of messages to the Myles Facebook Page, I got a few documents and mails from them. In essence, this is what they say -

1. They cannot give me the Insurance Liability on the letterhead of the Insurance Company, because they have not received it themselves. So instead, they sent me an excel file, with “ICICI Lombard” typed at the beginning of it and a forwarded e-mail from an ICICI Lombard exec who claimed that the Insurance Liability was indeed only Rs. 65,865/- The total damage was Rs. 77,650/- So that pegs my liability at Rs. 11,785/-

2. They have billed me towing charges to the tune of Rs. 7,000/- This exact amount was supposed to be paid by Myles - Ms. Asma, from their Recovery Division, assured me of the same on the phone, when the accident took place. As expected - they have NO RECEIPT for this either and have heaped the entire towing cost on me, despite assurances to the contrary from their own executives.

3. Finally, they have billed me transport charges (via a Private Driver) from Pathankot to Delhi @ Rs. 4,000/- and again, NO RECEIPTS. When questioned, they simply replied that they CANNOT FURNISH RECEIPTS FOR THE SAME.

Total Customer Liability (Points 1+2+3 above) = Rs. 22,785/-

Basically, I've been billed for Rs. 22,785/- without any formal receipts, because Myles claims to not have any themselves

What do you all think? Is any of this is acceptable? Because despite being quite sloppy (and downright fraudulent) in their accounting, they seem quite self-assured of their stand ad aren’t responding to any further mails.

I’m attaching some pictures of the e-mail exchanges and the excel files that they have been sending me -

Bitter experience with Myles Cars - An accident & the ensuing nightmare-2.jpg
First e-mail they sent me, after I posted on Team-BHP and Facebook.

Bitter experience with Myles Cars - An accident & the ensuing nightmare-1.jpg
Excel Sheet that came attached with above mail.

Bitter experience with Myles Cars - An accident & the ensuing nightmare-3.jpg
Myles’ reply to my objections, after I demanded proper receipts - their replies are the ones in bold.
ads1485 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2016, 13:10   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ads1485 View Post
What do you all think? Is any of this is acceptable? Because despite being quite sloppy (and downright fraudulent) in their accounting, they seem quite self-assured of their stand ad aren’t responding to any further mails.
First of all, glad to read that everyone's safe. It could have been horribly worse on the edges of the ravines. Having said that, had you paid by credit card, you could have disputed the entire 15000/- on account of non refund of the security deposit. Your funds will be reversed immediately, with a hold placed on the amount for 6 months or until Myles produces sufficient legally tenable evidence that gives you the exact liability amount.
hemant.kamat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2016, 20:15   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemant.kamat View Post
First of all, glad to read that everyone's safe. It could have been horribly worse on the edges of the ravines. Having said that, had you paid by credit card, you could have disputed the entire 15000/- on account of non refund of the security deposit. Your funds will be reversed immediately, with a hold placed on the amount for 6 months or until Myles produces sufficient legally tenable evidence that gives you the exact liability amount.
Hi Hemant, yes...getting out of the accident scratchless was a godsend. There was actually a sheer drop of a couple of hundred meters to my left, so yeah, I got really lucky there.

As for the payment part, unfortunately, I had to pay by debit card, because my credit card refused to work on that day for some reason. Anyway, the plus side was that I paid only 15k on the debit card, instead of the usual 30k amount which Myles used to block earlier.

Thanks for bringing the point about disputing the purchase to my attention, I wasn't aware of it - I'm sure it will come in handy in the future.
Old 22nd February 2016, 19:35   #14
BHPian

I respect your patience, ads1485 and sympathize with you for the ordeal that the Myles folks are putting you through. You and chetan_rao are bang on about most of the service providers in India, including most of the popular and large ones, providing extremely shoddy customer service.

Although my experiences with Zoomcar haven't been stellar either, it seems that Zoomcar has a much more comprehensive insurance on their fleet that limits the customer's liability. That probably would also be one of the factors in their higher rental charges.

Myles just seems to have gone for some cheapskate coverage that transfers the risk to the customer. I shudder to think what the customer's liability would be in the case of a totaled or stolen car. Lakhs of rupees?
mustang_shelby is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2016, 19:03   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang_shelby View Post
I respect your patience, ads1485 and sympathize with you for the ordeal that the Myles folks are putting you through. You and chetan_rao are bang on about most of the service providers in India, including most of the popular and large ones, providing extremely shoddy customer service.

Although my experiences with Zoomcar haven't been stellar either, it seems that Zoomcar has a much more comprehensive insurance on their fleet that limits the customer's liability. That probably would also be one of the factors in their higher rental charges.

Myles just seems to have gone for some cheapskate coverage that transfers the risk to the customer. I shudder to think what the customer's liability would be in the case of a totaled or stolen car. Lakhs of rupees?
Hi mustang_shelby, sorry I was unable to reply earlier, as I was out on a project.

Yeah, like I mentioned, shoddy service has become pretty much the norm in our country.

Rather than cheapskate coverage, I think this is more an issue of blatant fraud. After pursuing the matter back and forth for a while, I let it go, because I had a lot of other pending work that needed attention. Anyway, it was an eye opening experience...I'm never renting from Myles again

Cheers/Ad

Most Viewed