Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th November 2017, 14:28   #46
BHPian

Re: How to get a Driving Licence in Bangalore without agents

Quote:
Originally Posted by verma_rahul View Post
Thanks, I had initiated the process all by myself. Done with the Learner's License and have now booked a slot for Driving License test. Hope the officials do not question the ownership of my car.
Being licenced to drive is not a prerequisite for vehicle ownership. There are many vehicle owners who hire drivers as they may not be keen on driving themselves. Hard for us car enthusiasts to understand that but it takes all kinds to make up the world!

Some RTOs issue you a receipt that you have passed the test for you to produce to the cops in case papers are checked during the 45 odd days that it takes for the smart card DL to reach you. Indiranagar RTO did not and I had kept copies of the LL anticipating that I will not get any proof for the interim period.

All the best!
hothatchaway is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2017, 20:12   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by verma_rahul View Post
Thanks, I had initiated the process all by myself. Done with the Learner's License and have now booked a slot for Driving License test. Hope the officials do not question the ownership of my car.
How much is the total cost of getting the License?
Old 29th November 2017, 08:34   #48
BHPian

Caution : This will not work in Bangalore

Old 19th December 2017, 14:01   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
How much is the total cost of getting the License?
Hi! I don't clearly remember now but I guess it was about 350/- for LL, 960/- for DL (LMV and MCWG) and another 60/- for Biometrics and photo.

One thing I realized during the entire process is that while giving the tests for DL, hand signals are extremely important for both 2 & 4 wheelers (do not turn on the A/C and forget to give hand signals) along with terms like "Right Reverse Parking" for 4 wheelers. Saw quite a few of them failing the tests because of incorrect/absence of hand signals.

This is mainly applicable for people who go to the RTO themselves (KR Puram in my case) as we were asked to appear for the tests in the adjoining lane while people who came through "training schools" were nowhere to be seen in the lane at all. They probably have a dedicated lane for them.

Rahul
verma_rahul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2018, 11:15   #50
Senior - BHPian

My DL is expiring in 3 months and I need to renew it at Indiranagar RTO , Blore East.

Has anyone done it recently and if so what are documents to be carried?
Is a medical certificate required as well?
Old 17th February 2018, 13:31   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
My DL is expiring in 3 months and I need to renew it at Indiranagar RTO , Blore East.

Has anyone done it recently and if so what are documents to be carried?
Is a medical certificate required as well?
The process has been made easier. Log on to parivahan.gov.in and do it hassle free now. However do note that the window for renewal opens 30 days prior to expiry of the licence.

I am also waiting for the window to open to renew my licence. No need to go through any agents now.
BeantownThinker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2018, 15:47   #52
BHPian

Recently, my father asked me to help him renew his DL. He's over 60 so he has to get it done every 5 years.

Logged in to parivahan and put in his license number and date of birth.

Took me to the application form (it was pre-filled).

Page 3,4 and 5 are to be taken to the registered govt doctor (private docs cannot certify this). My father went to Sanjay Gandhi hospital and got the stamp and signature from there (Rs 100 cost).

Next, you need to scan:

1) Medical certificate (3 pages) and convert to pdf (smallpdf.com works well)
2) Current DL
3) Passport size photo
4) Signature

Keep in mind (and I found this weird- the passport photo scan has to be between 10-20KB. It's an absurd requirement, took me a bit of fiddling with Photoshop elements to get the size down.)

Signature- not to hard to bring down the size but keep in mind the image dimensions they ask.

Once you upload the above 4 docs, you will be asked to make payment either now or later.

If you choose to make the payment now, you will be given some convoluted choices (and the least painful of them is the Netbanking payment through the "Khajane" gateway of Karnataka govt).

Again, I find it weird that only netbanking is enabled (no cards or wallets accepted). Thankfully, the payment went through in 1 try.

My father now has to go to the RTO for this I guess his biometrics?

Applicant need to go to RTO office on Appointment Date(if appointment taken) along with necessary documents for getting application process at RTO Office.
Transaction Name Pending At Counter
RENEWAL OF DL CAPTURE BIOMETRICS OFAPPLICANT BIO-2

Procedure for DL

RENEWAL OF DL SERVICES ON DL Completed
RENEWAL OF DL UPLOAD DOCUMENTS Completed
RENEWAL OF DL UPLOAD PHOTO AND SIGNATURE Completed
RENEWAL OF DL FEE PAYMENT Completed

(Side note- when I applied for my MCWG LL 6 months back, online payment wasn't working. Had to go to the RTO, stand in line for 1.5 hours and then make the payment at the counter).

I'll update this post when my father completes his RTO visit.
bugatti is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th June 2018, 16:02   #53
Senior - BHPian

My current DL was issued in 1998 and will expire in 4 months. I tried to check the DL details online, but says duplicate entries found and I have to visit the RTO. The question is, my current residence is different from the RTO zone where I had got the DL done, should I go to the same RTO or can I go to any RTO? Mine is a non smart card DL, but it is a card with details printed on it.
Old 18th June 2018, 12:08   #54
BHPian

Hello all

I had a quick question on my DL. i got my DL issued in Mumbai and later on when i shifted to Bangalore i got smart DL card from Rajaji Nagar RTO issued. In the smart card original DL number is mentioned (as mentioned in my Mumbai DL). Now my license will be expiring during year 2019. A quick check on Parivahan site revealed the status that my DL details do not exist. Does it mean that i cant do online renewal of my DL and need to visit RTO? Please help!
Old 28th July 2018, 15:18   #55
BHPian

Getting a driving license (and addition of another class of vehicle to an existing DL).

Go to

https://parivahan.gov.in/sarathiserv...teSelection.do

and follow the procedure of submitting the application and documents.

Make sure your scans are of good quality (but the file size is not too much).

Scans:
Passport size photo
Scan of your signature (try to make it as clear and compact as per the image size suggested)
ID proof
Address proof
Form 1 (You have to print Form 1, fill it out and scan/upload it)

When it comes to uploading your documents, do not submit your aadhar number/scan of the card.
(privacy issues), when it becomes mandatory, we'll think about it then.

That's about it.

Payment

You will try and make the payment online but it gives a blank page when trying to do so.

Stop attempting. It is futile.

Print your application and take it to the respective RTO.

BEFORE YOUR GO TO THE RTO

1) Prepare your file-

Online completed application

originals of ID and address proofs + 2 copies of each (generally not required but still)

Photos -2 passport size

2) Study the traffic signs (you don't want to fail this test and do it again)

3) Keep a bottle of water

AT THE RTO

Go by 9.30-10am to the RTO on a weekday preferably (the least rush I've seen is on a Friday),
whatever amount has been mentioned online, keep that exact amount for payment
(sometimes they are short of change and it's an unncessary headache, avoid it)

Once you complete payment, you have to go to get the documents verified. (In jayanagar RTO, it's room 14)

Once your documents are verified, if you already hold a DL (like I do), you're exempt from the LL test.

You'll receive an sms with your LL number.

You can go parvihan and print out your LL.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Now, once you have your LL with you and need to get your DL,

Since I already have a DL, and am applying for addition of a class of vehicle,
it has to be endorsed on the DL.

There's no point trying to book a slot as it won't show the "Book now" button.

I was defeated at this point. Tried to book a slot many a time but it wasn't showing me the booking button. (see attachment)

Since my LL was expiring soon (within 4 days), I made 2 trips to the RTO and still not being able to get the DL test slot,
I finally paid 200 (very reluctantly) to the xerox shop at the ground floor of the Jayanagar RTO to finish
the application.

What the xerox shop did was,

parivahan -> apply online -> Services on Driving License

In the Application for Services on Driving Licence

Select, "ADDITIONAL ENDORSEMENT TO DL"

You need to fill up the application form, scan your photo, signature and DL.

Upload it and then you get an application number.

(NOTE: I don't recall if I gave my aadhar number at this point or not)

You can try making the payment online but I hazard a guess that it won't go through.

So you need to head to the RTO.

Since you are heading to the RTO for the driving test,

You will be taking a/your vehicle. Make sure you have the vehicle's-

Original Registration certificate/smart card
Ongoing Insurance
Ongoing pollution control certificate

Follow the above instructions when at the RTO.

Stand in line, make payment.

Once you've made the payment, get it endorsed at Room 9 (ARTO)

Then show the vehicle documents at Counter 15 (Motor vehicle inspector)
This person will make a note on your application and write stuff in the register.

You are now to head to the terrace for the test.

Submit your docs to the person (testing person | will be in uniform) and wait for your turn.
Make sure your vehicle is parked on the same floor (terrace).

Follow their instructions, finish test.

If successful, you can now go to Room 13, get your photo taken for the smart card, pay Rs 60
(they will give you a receipt) and then head to room 17.

Before you head there, attach a cloth lined regular sized envelope with Rs 20 in stamps.

Pin all these docs in the order below

Application receipt
Smart Card receipt
DL
Application pages
Envelope

Submit these docs at room 17 and you're done. Wait for 20-40 days for the DL to reach you.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++++==

My personal rant on getting your DL (you can safely skip reading this)

I'd written this stuff down after my DL test.

Whenver you're heading to a place like the RTO, it feels like you're heading into the bowels of
some purgatory or a house of horrors. There are certain unknowns.

Your application isn't complete or you don't have instructions on what application itself to fill.

My problems with this application was that I tried to apply 3 years back (the RTO website acknowledges that old application) but I gave up because it wasn't working without appeasing the Internet explorer gods and its weird ways (the application simply wasn't going through on my computer).

Recently, applied in Dec 2017. Completed the application online but after trying to make the payment online for about 20 days (and calling the helpline in Hyd), gave up and went to the RTO and completed the payment.

Since I was an existing DL holder, I was exempt from the LL test. I wasn't told about this earlier. (the good and bad of not knowing was that I refreshed my memory of traffic signs but wasted an hour in the process).

Got my LL and I tried to go figure out the procedure for the Driving license test but a few attempts (see above error image) got me nowhere. Not knowing what to do, I let 5+ months elapse.

Recently, my father's DL was expiring and had to be renewed. Took me about 15min to complete his entire application (I've described this in a different post in the same thread).

Since only his biometrics (smart card photo and signature) was pending, I went with him in the hopes that I would also complete my DL work. When I went there, nobody was there to guide me and they said you have to complete the application online. I left the RTO, but with only 4 days left for the LL to expire, I had to get things moving.

Came back the next day to the RTO and asked at various counters. No luck. Gave up and went downstairs to the xerox shop, got the application completed.

It wasn't that it was difficult for me but I didn't know which section to choose. Once I saw how the application was done, I literally grimaced. So easy.

Once this was done, back into the bowels of the RTO. Stood in line for the payment (saturdays is usually rush day) and after completing it, went upstairs to the driving test desk. There, the inspector tells me to get the docs endorsed at room 9. Gah. Head downstairs and get it done, and come back up again. This time I'm told to have the vehicle documents entered at the desk opp counter 17. Back down again, get it done.

I hand over the docs to the inspector. There's a lot of rush on the terrace today. Many people for their driving test and other RTO work (The Reliance store that was downstairs has closed down a while back- more on this later).

Wait for about 5 minutes, there are a few brokers talking amongst themselves and 2 are mildly arguing over some petty matter (some documents, isn't it always about the docs..)

The inspector tells me to bring my bike over and take a round of the parking lot. I'm like, ok. I finish a round (or maneuver my way through, lots of cars and some bikes are parked haphazardly) and head back to the desk.

Inspector tells me one more round, so I do so. Because you have the lift and the staircase structure that's in the centre of the terrace, much of your view of what is happening on the other side is blocked from the inspector's desk.

If this is how they conduct the test, I'm not surprised you have such absurd driving habits amongst most road users. The test for the cars was move forward, reverse a bit and or complete a round around the lift and come back, that's it.

I didn't see any driver using or being able to use hand signals, (what hand signals can you use in a straight line at a speed of 10km/hr? in a distance of 50m?)

When I got my LMV DL many years back, the test was done close to adjacent to RV road (close to the jayanagar police st). The inspector would sit in your car and query you on 5-6 tasks. I failed my DL test twice but, hey, that was probably because I didn't go through a driving school | pay any money).

Atleast it was a semblance of a real driving test. The ones now don't even qualify as a semblance. The testing of these driving school applicants feels so farcical, you know that as long as they

can do the simple stuff that the inspectors are asking them to do, they will pass. That's pretty much the basic that any car driver has to know. But it's almost as if the inspectors put on a show as to as to who's in charge. Do this, do that. *** are you actually testing? Who are you trying to fool. Everybody knows they're playing a fool's game but they play along. It's money that is actually talking. Quality is not even an afterthought.

Let me ask you a question- on what test or basis would you fail an LMV applicant when all you have is 50m and a straight line to test them on? (some instances they ask you to make a loop of the terrace parking lot)

But, hey, it's a good precursor of what you are to get on our roads. Jam-packed traffic, everywhere, all the time. The situation on the terrace was a realistic recreation of that.

The way the RTO people treat is that, it's your duty to know what needs to be done and how it needs to be done.

It's almost as if you are a sheep when there and you need a shepherd to guide you through this tangled up warrens of rooms.

Which brings me to another discussion. Who the f did the interior design of the jayanagar RTO? You know it is a long L shaped building.

You have most of the important counters (13, 14, 15, smart card section etc) all at the end of the RTO. And then you have counters 5-12 which are more or less empty or not many people utilize them.

So the design is such that the queue outside room 13 forms a bottleneck every day. People sitting on the railing opp the queue. So many areas that are underutilized and this stupid f- narrow passage to get to some of the most frequently used areas of the RTO. It is a complete interior design failure.

You have so many areas that people congregate, are waiting but not enough space, not enough chairs/benches.

At counter 11, people just gather in a bunch and gherao the person there.

Did you know that when heading from counter 2 to the server room (again, open to the public), you can actually pull out bunches of bundled files and walk off out of the RTO and nobody will be the wiser (I'm guessing neither will anybody stop and question you).

Next, you have the problem with extraction of files. When I lost my DL (a good 9 years back), it wasn't until 2 years back that I finally got my duplicate DL. Why? Who likes going to the RTO in the first place?

Next, having made an enquiry or two at the RTO at that time(2010), it was suggested I get a new DL made since I had had the booklet.

I was firm that I would get a duplicate DL and no bloody going for a new DL. Persisted a bit, went back two more times with the proper application etc. The guy in charge (at counter 11) of removing the old registers to check the DL details took his own lazy time. Finally, I went back the 2nd time, he checked the DL number, opened a cupboard in front of his desk and checked a few file bunches.

Got the correct bunch, checked my DL details, asked (and received) a bribe of 100 and gave me some papers to get the smart card done. I was quite a bit in shock. This bunch of files was lying in

this cupboard and even after 2 months between the visits, it wasn't out until I pushed him to give it.

The usurious charges for a DL now ( 951 !) + 60 + whatever the LL cost me. It must have cost me a total of 1300-1400?

And I was not able to keep any receipt at the end of it. All of it had to be attached to the docs at counter 17. So weird.

And at the RTO, you could see various brokers having cozy relationships with the RTO employees. So many answering personal calls, attending to their "customers needs", doing this work, clearing

that file, agreeing to "take care" of the problems.

Chaos- favourtisim. And some of these RTO employees were rolling in empty flattery that these brokers were plying them with.

What happens is that this is such a den of vice [there is so much money floating around (relatively smaller than the land registrar's office) that everybody wants their share of the pie]. It's all so bemusing that people are treated like cattle, When people are not standing in line, too many people after the cut off time etc, the employees berate people but its done so half-heartedly and the brokers are not included (these guys are treated with kid gloves). You feel like we are untouchables (we're actually doing you a favour by serving you) and they are the chosen ones. All you economists, price discrimination at its finest.

And the discriminating prices aren't too far apart either from the actual RTO fees, its not a question of 4-7k, its a matter of a few hundreds or maybe 1-2k.

And why do people pay up? Because they lack the direction and time. And a fear or not knowing what to do once you are there.

And the RTO thinks that that's the status quo. They think that you shouldn't be there without assistance. Somebody to hold your hand through this shit.

Why did I pay up 200 today even though I knew exactly what had to be done the first min after the girl at the xerox shop started work on my application.. it's because I lacked time to come back again today and next week would be cutting it too close to my LL expiry, and not to mention, tying me up for a few hours at the RTO again.

I did have the laptop, photo, signature scans. I did have access to the xerox shop printer (2-5 Rs/page at the max). But I let it go after I realized there's no point fighting this stupid shit anymore. Just go with the flow.

At the end of it all, that's not all. When you leave the RTO, the parking fellows charge 10/hour. The receipt given at the bottom(entrance) is kept with these guys itself.

https://bangaloremirror.indiatimes.c...w/62435490.cms

What is the result at the end of it all? It leaves a bad taste in the mouth. And our RTO presages what happens on our roads.

When the enforcement, testing, almost everything can be bought, what quality will you see on the road? It is an indication of how beholden to special interests? Ever gone to see the birthplace of a river? The RTOs feel like you're seeing where all this shit on the roads starts from.

Driving/Riding like you own the road, no lane discipline [I'm sure bangalore's monstrous traffic and narrow/lack of roads symbiotically feed off each other to create a hydra-headed monster], tinted windows and loud horns, breaking signals and unscientific LED lights on vehicles.

This was written today

A week or two back, the SC passed a judgement on the tussle between the AAP govt and the LG's control of decision-making. In it, there was a brief paragraph on ration cards and RTO services.

The govt would appoint sahayaks who would come to your place, complete all the paper/online formalities and charge Rs 50 extra. So you get your work done and the you save time too.

Think about how much better it would be if this were available in Karnataka, how many would avail this service and save time and money?
Attached Thumbnails
How to get a Driving Licence in Bangalore without agents-slotbooking.jpg  

Last edited by bugatti : 28th July 2018 at 15:19.
bugatti is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th July 2018, 20:44   #56
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazybrain View Post
In the smart card original DL number is mentioned (as mentioned in my Mumbai DL). Now my license will be expiring during year 2019. A quick check on Parivahan site revealed the status that my DL details do not exist. Does it mean that i cant do online renewal of my DL and need to visit RTO? Please help!
Yup, you will have to visit the RTO. Don't worry, it can't be avoided some times. For example, I have always paid the property tax for my Bangalore flat online. But for my Udupi home, it has to be paid at the municipality office.

Even I can't use the Parivahan site for any DL services. My DL number format is FDL-XXX/88, the 88 being the year I got my license. So I have no choice but go through the RTO. I hope they change my DL number format at least this time.
Old 19th November 2018, 18:46   #57
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone recently got their DL renewed offline? My details are not found online and wanted to check here to see if anyone has the procedure documented? If there is any recent experience, that would be more helpful.
Old 23rd January 2020, 16:00   #58
BHPian

Hello Bhpians,

My wife's existing DL issued in UP had expired and we needed a new license for her. I checked with few of the driving schools and they quoted exorbitant fees much higher than the online fees. Hence, I logged on to Sarathi Website and applied for New LL at KA51 RTO. Uploaded all the documents which included ID, address proof and photo & signature. Then paid fees for LL test and went to RTO on the day of appointment for LL test. You need to carry the hard copy of the forms submitted online along with originals of the ID & address proof on the day of test. After reaching the RTO, we found that there were more than 50 people waiting in que to get their documents verified by the ARTO. However, as per rules preference was given to pregnant women and women carrying infants with them. Since, we are having a 7 months old baby with us, we were given the first preference in document verification.

Once the document was verified by the ARTO, we were asked to appear for the computer based LL test, which was cleared by my wife and we received SMS that she has been issued LL.

After waiting for 30 days, we received an SMS informing that now she can apply for DL. Again this process was done online by us on SARATHI portal. We booked a slot for driving skill test at Electronic City RTO's test track located far away from RTO Electronic City and paid fees online. On the skill test day we reached the test track with the entire set of documents which included the following:

1. FORM No.4 (Application)
2. FORM No.3 (LL Form)
3. Fees paid challan
4. Vehicle documents:
(i) RC Book/ Smart Card
(ii) Valid Insurance Certificate
(iii) Valid Emission Certificate
(iv) Postal Reply cover with your address where the license needs to be dispatched
with Rs.18 stamp pasted on the envelope.

With the aforesaid documents set and original RC of the vehicle on which you are going to perform the test you need to be present at the test location at least 1 hour prior to your timing. We again went with our infant and skipped the queue and presented the aforesaid documents to the person doing bio-metric wherein we paid Rs.60/- in cash for Chip Based DL card and photograph and signature was captured.

Then we have to go to the ARTO for his approval and signature on the print out of the documents. Here, the ARTO will match the photo appearing on the application form with the person who has come for the test. Once this stage is done, then you will be issued a slip which has to be carried along with the other entire set of documents and presented at the counter wherein people have queued up for obtaining RFID card for doing the test. Here also we went first on account of lady carrying an infant and submitted the entire set of documents to the staff of RTO, who in turn gave our RFID card and was asked to again do touchscreen based test.

After the touchscreen based test is over, you need to bring your vehicle near the entrance of the test arena, wherein the RTO staff will take the card issued at the earlier counter and fix one tag/device to scan the test performance and then you will be asked to ride in a tight 8 track. You should ensure that your feet is not touching the ground and the scanners are not hit by you. After you complete the test, then you need to go to another counter to check whether you cleared the test or not? Once they inform that you have cleared the test, then you can head home.

The status of DL dispatch/number details can be seen at Sarathi portal and you can expect your smart card DL to be delivered to your home address within 30-45 days. Total fees paid:
1. For LL - Rs.150/-
2. For DL - Rs.651/-+Rs.60 smart card cost.

Total: Rs.861.

Last edited by ajmat : 23rd January 2020 at 19:35.
MDED is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th August 2020, 15:00   #59
BHPian

Sorry for bumping up old thread.

Has anyone used a rental bike for giving the tests in Bangalore? Is it allowed? Especially KR Puram RTO?

I have a scooter, but would like to get the MCWG class added instead of MCWOG.
Old 4th August 2020, 18:54   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by debugged View Post
Has anyone used a rental bike for giving the tests in Bangalore? Is it allowed? Especially KR Puram RTO?
You should be able to pay and rent the bike from the numerous driving school persons present. RTO is bound to cause problems with other rental bikes. My friend was turned back because she didn't have hard copy of her scooty insurance

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks