Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd March 2016, 17:36   #31
BHPian

Re: How to get a Driving Licence in Bangalore without agents

Hi All, I got my Driver's license in 2000 from Kottayam RTO (in Kerala) which was a book format back then.
Does anyone here know how to get it converted into the 'card' that is presently in use all over? I tried searching online and even keying my old license details but of no avail.

Thanks in advance for your replies.
Old 23rd March 2016, 19:07   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobvarughese View Post
Hi All, I got my Driver's license in 2000 from Kottayam RTO (in Kerala) which was a book format back then.
Does anyone here know how to get it converted into the 'card' that is presently in use all over? I tried searching online and even keying my old license details but of no avail.

Thanks in advance for your replies.
You can visit any of the Akshaya centres who will help you find the necessary forms and submit the fees for having a DL card issued. Had your license details been available online, you would've been able to make the payment online.Then visit the RTO/Sub-RTO under whose jurisdiction your address falls, to submit the printed form and e-Receipt.
silversteed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2016, 19:26   #33
BHPian

Thanks much silversteed. Let me see if this route works.
Old 24th March 2016, 09:07   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirupesh View Post
That aside, I am going to apply for a DL in the next few weeks and wondering how tough the DL test was. Can you tell me more about the DL test? Did the officer sit beside you in the car? Did they care what type of car you were driving? (I am planning to take the DL test in an AT car - have a separate thread about that).
Nirupesh, well the officer didn't sit with me, he just asked me to take a turn and come back, that's all I did. But he did sit in one of the cars and went on for a detailed driving test, where they take you in a field and do few rounds.

And I have no idea about whether they will accept AT car or not, so may be you can try that. All the best.

Last edited by gurha : 24th March 2016 at 09:07. Reason: typo
Old 28th March 2016, 13:54   #35
BHPian

UPDATE: I recently had my wife's Driving License (DL) for MCWOG made at the Yeshwanthpur RTO (KA-04) in Bangalore.
The test was taken on 08-Feb, and the DL arrived by Speed Post on 26-Feb.

Seems like 2-3 weeks is the standard time (from date of driving test) for a DL to be delivered in Bangalore.
Old 25th April 2016, 07:26   #36
BHPian

I've finally got my DL.

Initially it was stuck for two months when I went again around 14th March and found out that some data entry work was pending because of which the application didn't moved.

So, I got that data entry work done and then the person asked me to get the approval from the RTO directly, so went inside the room No. 1, and got the approval and submitted the application again in room no. 3, and he mentioned that I will get my DL within a week.

But I eventually got it on 15th April.
Old 7th June 2016, 17:01   #37

My license came up for renewal in April this year. I decided to go without the services of an agent. Here's what it looked like (not as bad as I thought it would be)

1) Day 1 - went to RTO (Koramangala) with the License, a self addressed envelope, 3-4 passport sized photographs. Since license was issued from same RTO (20 years seem to have gone so fast!), no other document was required. I even took my Aadhaar card but that wasn't required. I went around 10.30 as most of the staff arrive by this time.

2) Was told by one of staffers that I needed to get a doctor's certificate. I told him that I was only 38 so still have a long way to go before I turn 40. As per the RTO site, only applicants above 40 need to submit medical certificate. He insisted that website was wrong and without the medical certificate I couldn't submit my application.

3) Another thing he mentioned was that they will accept the certificate of the doctor from BBMP clinic or any government hospital. The BBMP clinic was about a km away - near Swami Ayappa temple in Madiwala. No other certificate will be entertained.

4) Managed to find the BBMP clinic without much difficulty. There was a queue of patients and license applicants like me!

5) An old lady was managing the queue at the BBMP clinic and letting in people in some order. Probably she was giving first preference to patients, but I wasn't sure as many of us were allowed in even though there were patients in the waiting area.

6) Waited in the queue for over an hour. Finally the lady let me in to another waiting area and after another half an hour the doctor saw me. Once he was satisfied, he filled out the details in the medical certificate and advised me to pay the fees before leaving. Also told me to include it in the application.

7) While leaving it the old lady indicated she wanted some 'donation'. Every one else (only the license applicants) obliged by paying Rs 10, so I paid the same. I paid the government fees (Rs 20 or Rs 30, I don't recall now) and collected the receipt.

8) Went back to RTO but had to go back to office as some issue had come up. All this was Day 1.

9) Went to RTO and showed the form to the same gentleman who I showed on Day 1. He scribbled something on the form and asked me to pay the fees

10) Got in line to pay the fees and attached the fee paid receipt.

11) Showed the form to another staffer and she asked me to stand in line for the photograph. She took my form and handed me a receipt - which entitled me to drive for 30 days since my license is yet to be delivered.

12) Waited another half an hour and got my photograph taken and went home.

13) Now the wait started and with each passing day, I grew more anxious as the license hadn't arrived. I contemplated talking to an agent but thankfully my father talked me out of it!

14) After an excruciating wait of 3 weeks since submitting my application, I got the license by speed post.

All of the above obtained the straight way, with the odd Rs 10 donation!
manduks is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th June 2016, 22:14   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
Note- If you already have a license for a non-geared bike/motorcycle, you'll need to to fill a form for "addition of another class of vehicle" instead of applying again. This'll save you some extra trips for biometrics and address verification (if address remains same).
Good one. It is illegal to have multiple licenses. DL, like Passport, should be one DL per person. Unfortunately, not many people know this and get one each for each class of vehicle.
chakri400 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2016, 18:05   #39
BHPian

Sorry late post.

I followed the steps to fill online form for DL ; but after many weeks went to RTO office (KA-04).

The first step is to get the challan - you need to go to 3rd floor for DL playment.
After that came down and verified all the documents ; special thanks to one lady who is just an ordinary worker over there to help you with getting token.

After that did driving test on a simulator.
Once passed ; did bio-metric which is next to it.
verified all the document in counter 10.
After that went for final document submission to one counter (mostly 5)

And then they told me to go to Peenya test track at 2PM.

As we were very few individual without driving school we were tested first and me being the no.1 on that afternoon. I asked one of my friend to come with his bike as I applied for both. First I rode bike and followed by car. I came back to hear my result after parking the car outside; was told I passed.

Around 2 weeks after got the DL in mail.

Thanks to everyone for tips.
Old 12th July 2016, 18:18   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chakri400 View Post
Good one. It is illegal to have multiple licenses. DL, like Passport, should be one DL per person. Unfortunately, not many people know this and get one each for each class of vehicle.
Ummm.... Almost a decade back, when I purchased a gearless scooter, I went to the local RTO @ Jayanagar, Bangalore and asked them the process for getting a 2W license. I clearly told them that I had a 4W license, and wanted to know if 2W could be added/endorsed on it. I was informed by the RTO that it would have to be a separate license. Not sure if it was because my 4W license was a non smart card and issued from another state.

So I went through the due process, and even gave the test on my own gearless scooter.

Now, in 2013, I purchased a geared motorcycle, and the dealer mentioned that my existing 2W license won't be valid. So, I showed him the license, and to our shock, it mentioned: M/CY WG, which means motorcycle with gear.
Old 30th December 2016, 13:41   #41
Senior - BHPian

My wife has a car license from MH and she is now in KA with me. I wanted to get her a 2W license as well and hence applied online through the saarathi website and mentioned her MH license details. went to the KA03 RTO on the 26th of this month and submitted the physical documents along with the fees of Rs.30. the guy there was not sure if they can accept other state license, I told him when the website accepted it, why is he in doubt? He still checked with the RTO officer and confirmed that they can accept and there won't be any test since she already has a 4W license.

Today, the LL got issued, but buggers have made a mistake on the gender column. Does anyone know how to get that corrected? Is it necessary to get that corrected? I do plan to apply for her DL in about 3-4 months time and do not want any problems at that time. Please suggest.
Old 6th November 2017, 12:34   #42
BHPian

Hi All,

Wanted to know whether I can take my own car for driving test for DL. The car is registered under my name (2015 registered) but is driven by my wife.
However, on the day of test, my wife is out of station but I can ask my friend to accompany me for the test.

Will that raise questions or create a problem with the RTO guys? I have my appointment booked at the KR Puram RTO.

TIA!
Rahul
Old 6th November 2017, 12:43   #43
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by verma_rahul View Post
Hi All,

Wanted to know whether I can take my own car for driving test for DL. The car is registered under my name (2015 registered) but is driven by my wife.
However, on the day of test, my wife is out of station but I can ask my friend to accompany me for the test.

Will that raise questions or create a problem with the RTO guys? I have my appointment booked at the KR Puram RTO.

TIA!
Rahul
I see no issue, they will want RC book + emissions cert if I am correct
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2017, 12:45   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by verma_rahul View Post
Hi All,

TIA!
Rahul
Of course you can, unless your DL application is being facilitated by a driving school, in which case they will have their own weather beaten car in which you, along with your fellow aspirants, will try and impress the hawk eyed inspector! If it is your own car, ensure that all papers like insurance and pollution certificate are current.

It is good to take somebody along in case you are going through the application process alone. The test, if you can call it that, is chaotic with the inspector and his cronies hardly bothering to issue proper instructions, especially if you do not follow Kannada. Somebody accompanying you can ensure that your file is actually there and can render other assistance as you patiently wait for your turn, which is usually at the fag end if you have not recruited a friendly neighborhood driving school. The test is a joke and as long as you can turn the ignition over and get the car moving it is good enough. You will be surprised at how many greenhorns muff even this up. Speaks volumes about the kind of drivers we have here in Bangalore but that is a discussion left for another thread!

Speaking from my experience with Indiranagar RTO.
hothatchaway is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2017, 13:07   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
I see no issue, they will want RC book + emissions cert if I am correct
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothatchaway View Post
Of course you can, unless your DL application is being facilitated by a driving school, in which case they will have their own weather beaten car in which you, along with your fellow aspirants, will try and impress the hawk eyed inspector! If it is your own car, ensure that all papers like insurance and pollution certificate are current.
Speaking from my experience with Indiranagar RTO.
Thanks, I had initiated the process all by myself. Done with the Learner's License and have now booked a slot for Driving License test. Hope the officials do not question the ownership of my car.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks