Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th March 2016, 09:36   #1
BHPian

Delhi: Dentist beaten to death due to road rage!

What has our world come too? Too many idiots on road these days with a big ego!
Quote:
In an incident of road rage, a 40-year-old dentist was beaten to death with hockey sticks and iron roads by over a dozen men outside his residence in Vikaspuri in the early hours of Thursday. The incident was preceded by a scuffle between the victim, Pankaj Narang, and two of the accused who brushed past him on their bike.

According to the police, the incident took place around 12:15 a.m. when the two bike-borne men brushed past him and he asked them to drive properly. A scuffle broke out between Mr. Narang and the duo.

They left their motorcycle outside Mr. Narang’s house, only to return with 13 others, all of them armed with sticks and rods, said the police.

“They then repeatedly attacked Narang with the rods and sticks causing blunt injuries all over, including on the head as he started bleeding,” said a police officer.

Due to the sheer size of the mob and the aggression with which they were attacking the victim, his family members, witness to the crime, could not intervene, said sources.

Once the attackers left, the police was called and Mr. Narang was rushed to a nearby hospital where he was declared brought dead.

Police sources say that eight accused have been held while efforts are on to trace the rest.

A police officer said all the accused have been identified and live in the same area working as e-rickshaw drivers and mechanics.
SOURCE
Shanksta is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th March 2016, 12:55   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Delhi: Dentist beaten to death due to road rage!

1215 am: may be a case of alcohol fueled brutality.
But the planning and assembling a group implies a murder in cold blood
Old 25th March 2016, 13:25   #3
BHPian

Which further deepens my concern expressed here

Quote:
Originally Posted by driverace View Post

Sure, but if any incident happens at the beginning of the day, the ordeal we would have to go through until "the end of the day" is unnecessary, uncalled for, superflous!
And that "day" may be years of our lives..

I have read accounts of people who were wrongly put in court cases for "driving down a cop".
In the end, the guy "pleaded guitly" * was fined for negligent driving & let off?
Many such instances, where people are just booked for any similar excuse, or bruising someone's ego, or such.
They have paid with their time & money & peace of mind!

Well, (some eccentric) C Type folks wouldn't even mind to rip out the cam & smash it. What would I/you be expected to do then?
While you are on your way to Police Station, if you get side-swiped, blocked, what are you going to do!?
If while fleeing from the spot, if we get stones/sticks hurled at us - breaking windows, damaging the car significantly, what are we supposed to do!!?
I also subscribe to karma & other beautiful-spiritual-beliefs.

But, (still unanswered) question is:

Until what point, are supposed to "let go" "say sorry" and keep moving?

Ace.
The doc, seems to have paid the "price" by his life!
Even if he had the dash-cam, that would only be a "proof" in the decade-worth-court-case against the mentally-degenerate-animals who clubbed him down.

My sincere condolences to his family.

Even if it isn't our mistake, the "thing to do" is keep our heads down & keep driving, paying insurances, claiming it & not "challenge" anyone for the fear of our lives!

They may exist with different intensities & temperament, but all these "C-type" folks (pun-intended) - as explained in my post, are omnipotent & omnipresent.
In abundance.

Ace.

EDIT- may feel like a rant, but that is in-fact, how it is.

Last edited by driverace : 25th March 2016 at 13:28.
driverace is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2016, 13:33   #4
BHPian

In Delhi, it is too unsafe to pick a fight with anyone for any reason whatsoever. If somebody brushes his vehicle against you or your vehicle, it is best to ignore and count your blessings.

If you knocked another person's vehicle, it is best to apologize and offer monetary assistance for repairs at your preferred garage. Most times, if people are sane they will sort it out. For the non-sane types, it is better to part with money than life.

Sadly, law is something that does not help the cause on the spot of accident or fight. It usually kicks in after the damage has been already caused to the person and his family.

There is no male chivalry in fighting on the roads. Accept this and live a peaceful life in Delhi; monetary loss is ok, but try to protect yourself and your family first.
rdhawan15 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th March 2016, 23:00   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Delhi apart from being the national capital is also the Road Rage capital of India. The "devil may care attitude" of a majority of Delhi road users compounds the problem. We have always been reading/ viewing news about about injuries and even deaths due to road rage.

Its the best to avoid creating a scenario where one becomes a soft target at the hands of unscrupulous people bent upon a showdown with physical assaults apart from verbal abuses.

Its best advisable to stay away, be defensive and tolerant in such situations. The apt adage is " Revenge is like biting the rat because it bit you."
anjan_c2007 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2016, 23:40   #6
BHPian

Saw this story on Times Now and India TV. The update is that firstly the people who beat Mr. Narang to death were about 35 in number and the mob included minors and women too. They were residents of a nearby slum which seems to have political influence on account of being an important vote bank. The RWA has complained about many other incidents involving these gundas. Last month they beat a guard to death who tried to stop a robbery at night. Second, this incident happened at night after 11ish. The victim, Mr. Narang was playing cricket with his son when the ball hit two motorcycle and a fight broke out subsequently. Another theory is that the bikers brushed against his son which provoked him to reprimand the offenders. Either way, these devils beat him with wickets, stones and tried attacking his son. They did not even spare Mr. Narang's brother in law who was injured trying to save him. Only 9 people have been arrested and 4-5 of these are minors ! This is a very dark crime which reeks of what Delhi NCR has become today.
RocketRaccoon is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th March 2016, 23:41   #7
BHPian

Hope this does not become just another regular case and pray that quick and stern justice prevails atleast for the sake of humanity.

Shudder to think of what the helpless family has passed through more so if there were any young ones.
Old 26th March 2016, 11:10   #8
BHPian

Re: Delhi: Dentist beaten to death due to road rage!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhandary View Post
Hope this does not become just another regular case and pray that quick and stern justice prevails atleast for the sake of humanity.

Shudder to think of what the helpless family has passed through more so if there were any young ones.
Going by how Indian political and judicial system is, don't expect anything to happen. Rather we must pray the other family members don't meet the fate of Mr.Narang.

Talking about young ones in the family, the son will now have to live with the guilt that his father was killed because of him. Nice way to spend one's childhood.
Old 26th March 2016, 11:27   #9
BHPian

Just read on the TOI website that Dr. Narang's 8 year old son was witness to his own father's murder. The victim was dragged out of his house and beaten on the street. How much more shameful and violent can society get. We as a people seriously need to look at our values. Sadly, the obvious solution of creating an educated society does not seem to be a solution because all of us know even the educated participate in such ego induced mindless altercations.
Old 28th March 2016, 00:36   #10
BHPian

This is so unfortunate and shameful. RIP Dr. Narang and may God provide strength to his family to overcome this huge loss.
The truth is these kind of incidents not only happen in Delhi NCR, but through out India, and all over the world. It's human nature, sort of, and the world is only safe where there is fear of law & respect for society amonst masses. One cannot assume he is safe just because he is right and has done nothing bad to anyone ever. It's your right to protect yourself and even our Constitution grants us that right.

When I was young, my friend told me a story and it had a huge impact on me. A couple was stopped by a group of men on a highway, and husband was forced to leave his wife behind on gun point and was asked to pick her up next day. The man went home didn't file any FIR fearing it might bring disrespect to his wife's name, went over the same spot next day. Picked his wife in a near death situation, came home and the couple committed suicide. They, specially the wife went through so much and for what? What was their fault? Gives me goosebumps! That story taught me a valuable lesson, to be prepared. My father has also taught me 'Don't get killed! everything else can be looked after if you make it out alive'. I don't pick fights, I stay away from violance as much as possible, but incidents like these make me ask questions to myself, how safe am I? Am I prepared enough to protect my family? Do I have faith in law? Can this system or will this system be able to protect me when the time comes?

There was an incident here in our city, wherein a road rage involving an auto rickshaw & 2 guys riding a motorcycle, auto rickshaw driver and passenger were burnt alive by two men on the motorcycle.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 1st April 2017 at 18:57. Reason: Editing an old post for better readability (Space after paragraphs)
Old 28th March 2016, 11:23   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

What's even more disturbing is 4 out of the 9 accused are juveniles.
Old 28th March 2016, 11:58   #12
BHPian

It was with deep shock and disgust that i read about the news of a dentish beaten to death. What is more worrying is that how can people react so violent ? And feel so comfortable with such acts of violence just because they are in the safety cocoon of mob power.

There are multiple versions, and as usual, social media is full of keyboard warriors abusing each other for no reason. Some of the comments are utterly stupid, can't believe people can even think of typing such things on the internet. One of the article tells that the son of the doctor tried spraying color on the kids who were part of the mob and that enraged them.

http://www.ndtv.com/delhi-news/in-de...-peace-1291038

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/51566998.cms

http://zeenews.india.com/news/delhi/...r_1869407.html

This incident (along with others involving mob fury) is very scary. Religion/community has nothing to do with such behavior. We have seen such behavior in every part of the country. Are we slowly embracing anarchy ? why are we not having a law and order system that's clean and righteous ?

Where are those days when elders used to talk to each other and sort things out ? What did people get by killing a human being ? If juveniles are getting involved in crimes more often than before, where's the country heading to ? I really hope the family of the victim gets courage to move on, nothing can replace the presence of a dear family member. Sometimes its really difficult.
Old 28th March 2016, 13:33   #13

People getting enraged at small issues have become common these days.

Few months ago, I came to office late and parked my car, where the owner of another company used to park his car (he had put a sticker on the wall saying parking reserved for so and so company. Although it was public parking and by rule anybody can park there as it was not private parking). Anyhow, I did not see the sticker on the wall, parked my car and went into my office. When I got off from the office and came back to my car, there was a sticker stuck on my wind-shield saying "Do not park in someone else spot". While I was pondering why would someone do such a thing, I noticed the sticker on the wall and went to the office of the company to enquire about the same.

I talked to the office boy and he nodded that he himself pasted the sticker. He said that the owner told him to do so. I told him to remove the sticker, as he had no right to do that. He then told me to wait and went inside to talk to owner. Few minutes later, he asked me to come inside the cabin of the owner. I asked the owner why would he tell his office boy to paste the sticker. He said that there is a sticker on the wall telling parking reserved for owner of company. I said that it was a government land and he does not own it, so anybody can park there. Also he does not have any right to deface someone's private property(my car). On this he got enraged and started shouting. Hearing him, few of his employees came out and started pushing me, one even took me by collar and pushed me out. I was alone with them numbering over a dozen.
I realised there was no point in retaliating as I was out numbered.

Today after reading this news I wonder, I could have easily just gone my way after removing the sticker myself and avoided the altercation. But at that time I thought I was not doing anything wrong. Dr. Narang must have gone through the same thought when that rashly driven bike brushed with his boy. He never thought that it would end like this, like I never thought that my incident would end like it did.

We currently like in a society where you never know how the other party would react. Violence has become such a big nuisance that we forget the value of live over small spats.
Moun10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th March 2016, 14:11   #14
BHPian

Well, in today's world it's a really dangerous to point out anyone's mistake, especially if it's about traffic or vehicle. For some reason people get so enraged the moment you show them the mirror.
The kind of interaction displayed on Indian roads is a potential case study on social behavior of our society.

It seems people are frustrated with the infrastructure, corruption, have/have not divide, lack of empathy from government for common man etc and this frustration comes out on road by the means of bad road manners.

Think about it, how many time have you driven badly when you are in happy, joyful mood and compared that to some stressful times at home/office.

Last edited by Acharya : 28th March 2016 at 14:13.
Acharya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st April 2017, 15:15   #15
BHPian

The video shows how a simple incident of road rage can end up with catastrophic outcome.

Caution: Graphic footage of violence and death. Viewer discretion required!
Pferdestarke is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks