Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th March 2016, 22:31   #1
BHPian

Caught on CCTV: Speeding i20 damages our parked car. How do we track it down?

Hi Guys,

My sister-in-laws car was parked opposite our house on 10th Road Juhu on 23rd March 2016, at 1.26 am on 24th March three girls travelling by a white Hyundai rammed into our Hyundai I10 damaging it severely. We have managed to get the cctv footage from the temple across the road however the number plate is not visible. How do we catch hold of these culprits? Below is the link of the accident captured on the cctv.

We have filed a complaint which will help us get the insurance cover. But since we did not have a zero dep policy we will have to shell out 70K as part of the initial assessment. Is there anyway we can find out who did this?

Last edited by noopster : 29th March 2016 at 18:10. Reason: Tried to fix the video alignment
Blackbolt is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 28th March 2016, 23:05   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Accidents in India with Pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbolt View Post

We have filed a complaint which will help us get the insurance cover. But since we did not have a zero dep policy we will have to shell out 70K as part of the initial assessment. Is there anyway we can find out who did this?
Since your car is also a hyundai, please ask as many hyundai service centres to keep a look out for all the white hyundai i20's that come in for service.

That car is a facelifted i20 first generation.

Infact if you go around all service centres yourself you will definitely be able to find the car.

It is very unlikely that they will get it repaired outside.

Second thing is to go to cops and register a case with the CCTV evidence. They might be able to get some more evidence from road CCTV's and get the license plates.
Vid6639 is offline   (40) Thanks
Old 28th March 2016, 23:42   #3
BHPian

I doubt if Hyundai as a company will help unless you have some contacts. They will rather keep mum and have both cars repaired and earn profits than have police come within their premise for checking and investigation.

Your best bet is to ask if other buildings around have a better footage of the incident. That is the car escaping. Try asking the watchmen at Ranee Villa building ( 2 buildings from this temple) Or one of the bungalows around. There are quite a few banks on this road and I think that there has to be a better footage or evidence somewhere.

If you find the number on the plate then the Job is half done. But please make it quick. Not many will store footage for a long time. Its already four to five odd days since this happened. If they maintain logs for say a weak then you will be short of time.

The girls have simply lost control trying to sway at the intersection to avoid collision with the vehicle coming from other side of Road. Good luck with your search.

Please also post these on FB since it will have a larger reach.

Since this is at Juhu and there may be a chance that its a vehicle from around that area. If enquiring with the Auth Garage people, first thing to do will be enquire at Excel Garage, Kunal Motors and Shreenath Hyundai. These are within 3 KMS radius of Juhu and the car may have gone there for repairs. Since last week was practically non working for most, it would have just gone into repairs today.
manishkapadia is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 28th March 2016, 23:53   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys,

My sister-in-laws car was parked opposite our house on 10th Road Juhu on 23rd March 2016, at 1.26 am on 24th March three girls travelling by a white Hyundai rammed into our Hyundai I10 damaging it severely. We have managed to get the cctv footage from the temple across the road however the number plate is not visible. How do we catch hold of these culprits? Below is the link of the accident captured on the cctv.
A similar accident occurred around the same time (23/03/2016) during the wee hours (0455 hrs) and was captured on CCTV. This was in Chembur, Mumbai and was posted on Whats App by a friend. A mini SUV (most probably KUV 100) dashed against a parked Toyota Corolla Altis and smashed its right front side. The car was jolted and its aft movement was constrained due to a tree behind it. In the process, its rear bumper too was damaged. The mini SUV hit the Corolla and coolly moved away at almost the same reckless speed. The CCTV image is so nebulous that even identification of the make of the mini SUV is a problem (started with Ford Ecosport, Creta and now zeroing upon the KUV 100).

No way the culprit can be brought to book as the CCTV evidence is poor. The best that can be done is to check up with Hyundai dealers and authorised service centres, where the culprit car may land for refuge.
anjan_c2007 is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 29th March 2016, 08:08   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

re: Caught on CCTV: Speeding i20 damages our parked car. How do we track it down?

Mod Note: Moving Blackbolt's post & replies out into a new thread.
Old 29th March 2016, 08:46   #6
Senior - BHPian

re: Caught on CCTV: Speeding i20 damages our parked car. How do we track it down?

Holy Cow, that's nasty man. The best approach would be to file a FIR, this way the cops can force the Hyundai workshops to come forward with any white car coming in for repairs of front bumpers mainly. If it can be proved that the girls were drink driving then the case would be much more stronger against them.

The only unfortunate thing would be the recovery of the repair cost of your vehicle would be time consuming unless an out of court settlement happens.
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2016, 09:26   #7
BHPian

Such disgusting people. While the crash might have happened for many reasons, these people should have had the decency to leave behind a number or something. Best bet is to call the cops on this.Police will be able to access other CCTV/traffic cams in the area much better than anyone else

Last edited by motorhead16 : 29th March 2016 at 09:27.
Old 29th March 2016, 10:22   #8
BHPian

Maybe a public appeal on facebook / twitter? There's a Dzire i think who stops until they reverse. Maybe he had a look at their licence plate / has a dashcam?
bharat4ever is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2016, 11:17   #9
BHPian

Please put this up on FB or if there is any FB page of Mumbai Traffic Police, post it there.

High chances the people involved in this incident may come across it and contact you for an apology.(in an ideal world)

I maybe wrong but it seems the i20 tried to avoid a white Dzire which was taking a U-turn and swerved. Is it the same Dzire which we see at the end of the video?

Last edited by saion666 : 29th March 2016 at 11:29.
saion666 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2016, 11:24   #10
BHPian

Nasty! - btw, If you look at the video closely, there seems to be another car that came into the junction(just look behind the trees at about 03 or 04 seconds in the footage, a white car comes in from the left into the junction) which this white hyundai avoided(obviously due to high speed) and in the melee ended up into the black hyundai.
Maybe that junction has CCTV footage and will help in getting some more details of the vehicles

raghu

Last edited by raghuram.cg : 29th March 2016 at 11:31. Reason: Some more additional details added
raghuram.cg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th March 2016, 11:27   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Very lucky for them that there weren't any pavement sleepers just there else would have turned into another Salman case. Ironically, very unlucky for you that no bystanders / auto driver etc. was nearby to jot down the number.

1. You should immediately file an FIR and circulate a copy of it to all nearby Hyundai service centers. You could get lucky, you never know.
2. Circulate on social media ASAP.
itwasntme is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2016, 11:30   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

I think all the points are covered. I am not sure how'll this work unless you have a good rapport with both options - police as well as Hyundai service.

I think you file an FIR and also check the Hyundai service centres without waiting for the police to do it - they are very very happy if you give them the lead. Also, please check for all the possible CC Tv footages in this stretch.

In case they haven't reported the car to any of the close by service centres, you might as well extend it to those slightly farther. The car was in running condition and it could be driven to a farther one too, just if they think like many of us.

And as someone said, the girls look like a "pro" in this. Their reaction times are unbelievable - they don't even freeze after the accident; plan B is on and they flee quickly!!
swiftnfurious is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 29th March 2016, 11:32   #13
BHPian

File a FIR first. Check if the car passed any signal that has a camera, it should have ideally captured the car in question and its registration number.
Old 29th March 2016, 11:51   #14
BHPian

One can also see a security guard(presumably a watchman) and the resident of the house she bumped into pop out- unsure you or the cops had a chat with them?
jacobvarughese is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th March 2016, 12:00   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is there anyway we can find out who did this?
Check the last post on this thread, hope it helps:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ll-rtos-5.html

EDIT: Sorry, missed the line where you wrote that # plate is not visible.

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 29th March 2016 at 12:02.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks