Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st April 2016, 03:09   #1
BHPian

Flyover collapses in Kolkata (31st March 2016)!

Just read on the BBC that a flyover has collapsed in Kolkata with at least 20 killed and over a 100 people injured. The death toll is expected to rise, very sad news. Hope nobody from T-BHP is involved. RIP to the victims.

This seems to be the latest in a series of incidents like this, shoddy construction due to corrupt, inefficient construction companies.

(Mods: I did a search but couldn't find this, please move/delete if topic has been already covered).

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-35933452

Jeeper1941 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st April 2016, 07:51   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

First off the bat blame assigned to previous dispensation. No official, no contractor....sad. Is the principle of no accountability so important for government officials?
Old 1st April 2016, 08:04   #3
BHPian

re: Flyover collapses in Kolkata (31st March 2016)!

That flyover is supposed to be under construction from 2009 and the contractor has termed the mishap as an "Act of God". Are they serious?? Can they just get away with that so easily. As an outsider, we always thought WB as progressive and state of well learned people. But reality seems to be other way. What is happening in WB?
arun_kun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2016, 09:29   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_kun View Post
As an outsider, we always thought WB as progressive and state of well learned people.
Those days are long gone. The wealth despising, art/literature loving cultured Bengali has been reduced to corrupt, harsh speaking self-centered being. You can see the change in the attitude of the people on road, you can see them in the films/TV soaps, you can see it in the change in dialect and use of vocabulary and no wonder that reflects in the elected representatives.

As for this incident, the first thing done was no disaster management,no relief work, no health care but a blame game as to which govt. regime is responsible for the flyover collapse and the age old political tool of "declaring" compensation of 5 lakhs and 2 lakhs for dead and injured.

A CCTV footage of the collapse:

Regards,
A sad Bengali.

Last edited by saion666 : 1st April 2016 at 09:35.
saion666 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st April 2016, 10:50   #5
BANNED

This is really a sorry day for all of us, where lots of lives are lost. Could be an important member of a family did not return home yesterday, keeping his or her family to wait for every minute.

Such accidents will perhaps continue to happen till the game of politics is on which has gone over and above moral sense, responsibility & humanity.

The incident yesterday also opens our eyes on how ready are we towards disaster recovery, which calls for over 3 hours to react to the situation! Think of a situation which is slightly bigger in magnitude.

This instance will continue to happen as long as bunch of people don't stop playing with human lives and start thinking for the people and country before personal and political gains.

Last edited by GTO : 1st April 2016 at 10:56. Reason: Typos
SanC is offline   (2) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 1st April 2016, 11:25   #6
BHPian

Re: Flyover collapses in Kolkata (31st March 2016)!

Quote:
Originally Posted by saion666 View Post
Those days are long gone. The wealth despising, art/literature loving cultured Bengali has been reduced to corrupt, harsh speaking self-centered being.
Let me just rephrase that a bit,
"The wealth despising, art/literature loving cultured Bengali has been reduced to inconsequential, worthless imbeciles."

But that discussion is uncalled for under the current circumstances.

We must realize, that in the broader scheme of things, it is democracy that have failed us. Or maybe, we have failed democracy. I would like to refrain from penning anything more.

May God give strength to those affected.
mi2n is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st April 2016, 11:28   #7
Senior - BHPian

It is a grim reminder to the citizens of this country to BE CAUTIOUS while entering/passing through any construction site on the road.
Old 1st April 2016, 11:38   #8
Senior - BHPian

Since the days of Hyderabad flyover accident, I always wonder about the scaffolding used for flyover construction. With major construction throughout the cities, its really left to god to protect the common man from any mishaps resulting from corrupt and incompetent contractors.

But then whats the value of life anyway in this country. Now a days most of us friends who came back from U.S always think about the mistake we might have committed.

You may have the money and to some extent be isolated and live well, still the system of corruption is so wide that you do get affected like traffic, power, water availability etc plus the safety aspects when you use public spaces.
Old 1st April 2016, 12:30   #9
BHPian

This is not the first time its happening in Kolkata:http://www.firstpost.com/india/kolka...ay-646979.html

However, what surprised me is that steel columns are being used as pillars for this flyover. I have never seen something like this in a flyover construction. Any civil engineers comments on this?
sanjaykk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2016, 13:35   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjaykk View Post

However, what surprised me is that steel columns are being used as pillars for this flyover. I have never seen something like this in a flyover construction. Any civil engineers comments on this?
Though I did my graduation in that field, I never worked as one(blame on IT). So I leave the technicalities to someone more learned.

However nowadays most flyovers are made of steel instead of concrete as they are pre-fabricated ones and saves a lot of time. Most of them are cladded with Concrete upon completion and probably thats the reason you haven't noticed them. In Kolkata many are bare, if I remember correctly AJC Bose flyover/Parama etc all have the steel columns exposed. Steel columns are mainly square or rectangular ones compared to the concrete circular ones and have lesser load bearing capacity.However, the reason for the failure is surely not this.

Concretization of the lanes were done a day before and it failed right after. There was also pressure from the ruling party to complete the flyover in haste so that an inauguration ceremony can be held before the upcoming elections. Work started way back in 2008.
It was the whole machinery of poor engineering(in execution), lack of safety standards, political interests, red-tapism, corruption at work which caused the mishap.

Last edited by saion666 : 1st April 2016 at 13:37.
saion666 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st April 2016, 16:39   #11
BHPian

I would refrain from commenting on this thread and definitely not get into the political part by getting into the Blame Game. Yes, the incident has shook the city up from it's roots and the pictures that has been received from various sources (on WhatsApp) is disturbing, shocking, depressing and alarming !!

I would like to mention that this has happened in Old Calcutta (the Burrabazaar area) which is extremely busy and congested. Various Road Transports and Whole Sellers from different verticals of business populate this area. Not to forget the residences and the schools that are also present in this locality.

Just sharing the pictures here for everyone's reference showing the extent of the damage :

Kali Krishna Tagore Street - where the incident has happened :
Flyover collapses in Kolkata (31st March 2016)!-img20160331wa0019.jpg

Flyover collapses in Kolkata (31st March 2016)!-img20160331wa0013.jpg

Flyover collapses in Kolkata (31st March 2016)!-img20160331wa0015.jpg

Flyover collapses in Kolkata (31st March 2016)!-img20160331wa0018.jpg

Flyover collapses in Kolkata (31st March 2016)!-img20160331wa0026.jpg

Flyover collapses in Kolkata (31st March 2016)!-img20160331wa0027.jpg

Flyover collapses in Kolkata (31st March 2016)!-img20160331wa0028.jpg

Flyover collapses in Kolkata (31st March 2016)!-img20160331wa0029.jpg

Flyover collapses in Kolkata (31st March 2016)!-img20160331wa0031.jpg

Flyover collapses in Kolkata (31st March 2016)!-img20160331wa0032.jpg

Flyover collapses in Kolkata (31st March 2016)!-img20160331wa0035.jpg

Flyover collapses in Kolkata (31st March 2016)!-img20160331wa0037.jpg

Flyover collapses in Kolkata (31st March 2016)!-img20160331wa0038.jpg

Flyover collapses in Kolkata (31st March 2016)!-img20160331wa0042.jpg

Flyover collapses in Kolkata (31st March 2016)!-img20160331wa0043.jpg

Flyover collapses in Kolkata (31st March 2016)!-img20160331wa0024.jpg
AJ-got-BHP is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2016, 19:22   #12
Senior - BHPian

Very worrisome. A lot of the flyovers in Mumbai start wobbling a bit when there is heavy traffic on it. I hope strict action is taken against the contractor.
Old 3rd April 2016, 22:09   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
Very worrisome. A lot of the flyovers in Mumbai start wobbling a bit when there is heavy traffic on it. I hope strict action is taken against the contractor.
Thats nothing to worry about, (provided it has been designed properly) all structures flex a bit, usually you dont notice it thats all. In the case of large structures this flexing is more apparent.
mvadg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th April 2016, 01:21   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_kun View Post
As an outsider, we always thought WB as progressive and state of well learned people. But reality seems to be other way. What is happening in WB?
True reality is the other way. No way WB can termed as progressive especially in the last few decades.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saion666 View Post
Those days are long gone. The wealth despising, art/literature loving cultured Bengali has been reduced to corrupt, harsh speaking self-centered being. You can see the change in the attitude of the people on road.
True I could very well relate to your experience. Impatience, Road rage, excessive honking are to name a few...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mi2n View Post
We must realize, that in the broader scheme of things, it is democracy that have failed us. Or maybe, we have failed democracy.
Why blame democracy when its working perfectly fine (relative) in other states and there is noteworthy progress seen in such states. Instead of concentrating on the root cause why blame or directly jump at Democracy? Isn't this a fad in WB to directly question the way of managing a nation (be it democracy/communism etc) rather than the real root cause?

Its the attitude or the cultural shift of the people which is to blame.

I also would not like to go in detail and rather concentrate on the topic.

It seems the flyover was supported by a "Y" shaped fabricated steel column. Normally this type of design is preferred in cities due to space constraints.
Ideally the Y shape should be retained in all the load case scenarios.

As per a news channel the "Y" shape could not resist the load and the arms of the column got bent. This is clearly a case of:

a) Bad design
b) Manufacturing defect
c) Shoddy workmanship and poor use of materials

Point C has higher probability. Either the material could not withstand the load or the welds/rivets were to blame. To save cost and time there is a probability of combination of Point a and c both.

Last edited by amit_purohit20 : 4th April 2016 at 01:27.
Old 4th April 2016, 12:10   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
A lot of the flyovers in Mumbai start wobbling a bit when there is heavy traffic on it.
Whaat?!
Which flyover have you observed wobbling?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjaykk View Post

I was in Bangalore a few months back and on the way from Airport to Vivanta (Tumkur road), I saw a flyover section (under construction) which had one or two segments of naked steel structure (though not as pillars) between concrete beams.
I had uttered almost a similar sentence.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks