Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2016, 11:22   #76

Re: Corporates & their idiosyncratic rules for employee vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by smarth.katyal View Post
I am constantly worried that if the car is hit by some drunkard or careless or diverted driver, the thing that is going to take the maximum impact and cost a lot more to repair will be the engine bay with expensive components. Hence, whenever i have an option, i park with the butt of the car facing the road, and the engine bay safely tucked towards a wall.
I do agree with smarth. I have a similar thought process when I park on the side of the road. Avoiding accidents is one thing and you can avoid towing too in some cases
Old 12th May 2016, 11:50   #77
BHPian

In my previous organisation bikes and scooters were not allowed to park next to each other, both had separate parking bays!
No one bothered to answer why!
Old 12th May 2016, 11:55   #78
BHPian

In one of the buildings in BKC, "IL & FS", CNG cars are not allowed inside. This is weird because they quote safety as the reason. Agreed that we hear about CNG cars exploding, but petrol cars also carry combustible fuel with them. A good maintained car not allowed just because it is CNG is so weird. On one hand, the government promotes usage of CNG vehicles for all sorts of reasons and on the other hand, the property owner has such a rule!
Old 12th May 2016, 14:24   #79
BHPian

Re: Corporates & their weird rules for employee vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheK View Post
A friend who works in shell told me that it is compulsory to have a car with ABS & Airbags to be able to get car to office and also security guard won't let you in or out, until you are wearing a seat belt.

Pretty nice i should say, it's a different story that my friend had to buy a new car because his old car did not have ABS or Airbags :P
Of all the things I read so far, this makes the most sense. But having to buy a new car doesn't!
Old 12th May 2016, 14:26   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
I heard from someone that a Tata motors office at some particular location allows only Tata cars to be parked inside the premises.
Cars of other brands are supposed to be parked outside!

I think this is more weird than your friend's experience with L&T!
Most auto manufacturers the world over follow such rules where other brand vehicles either have to be parked far away or not allowed within the premises.
Old 12th May 2016, 14:43   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjcherian View Post
Most auto manufacturers the world over follow such rules where other brand vehicles either have to be parked far away or not allowed within the premises.
Maybe there are many who follow this practice, but I've seen cars (and CVs) of other makes parked inside the premises of the 3-pointed star. And a certain other luxe barge maker from the same city also cuts a lot of slack. I'm talking about Germany, not India though
Old 12th May 2016, 14:47   #82
BHPian

I have been intrigued by the security guards at various tech parks, hotels etc.

They open the boot to check for 'something' and put a mirror below the car to look for 'something'.

I got curious and asked a few of them on what they were looking for?
They don't have the remotest clue!

These poor guards are not trained on what to look for and what action to take if they find something that fits the bill!

Imagine this, the mirror-on-the-stick guy actually sees something ominous, what is his next action? wait for the thing to blow up? Run for his life?

Another thing that gets my goat is the absolute lack of any manners of the literate uneducated folks at work, honking on their way from the entrance to the parking, overtaking because they need to save the world, stopping in the middle of the single lane entrance for a tete-a-tete with his colleague and the list goes on!
aqualeo2040 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th May 2016, 15:39   #83
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqualeo2040 View Post
I have been intrigued by the security guards at various tech parks, hotels etc.

They open the boot to check for 'something' and put a mirror below the car to look for 'something'.

I got curious and asked a few of them on what they were looking for?
They don't have the remotest clue!
This is called security theatre.

Perhaps we're supposed to laugh and applaud!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th May 2016, 15:49   #84
BHPian

I work for a marketing agency, so basically no rules as such per se. However, I've made a trip to one of the OEM manufacturing plants to see one of the upcoming product.

Not knowing the details, but basically, what I understood the few rules were:
1. Only the vehicles of the OEM & associated brands can be taken in the factory
2. Seat belt mandatory

I'm sure there might be more random ones, but just to mention an incident, during the time of my visit, there was some confusion regarding my pass to enter & hence I had to stop at a couple of places & frequently move my car around. The security guard, actually that retarded, complained to the head of product development when he arrived to receive us, about me taking off the seat belt WHEN I GOT DOWN TO GET THE PASS. I'm NOT JOKING(I really wish I was). That's how retarded these people were. I wonder if he expected me to remove the seat belt or my entire seat & carry it around.

Ignoring the fact that they were out clients, I lost it on the guard in front of the entire team.

It's a monkey see monkey do attitude there. This philosophy is even evident in their product line.

Regards,
Rohan.

PS: Not naming the OEM, but a hint, they're the garbage of the Indian Automotive Scene currently. One dead product after another. That's right, you know who you are, & you're garbage. Period.
Old 12th May 2016, 16:23   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
If you park your car with its butt outside, you have to make a 2-point turn to get out. With the face out, you can just turn and zoom away. It's quicker and especially helpful in an emergency.
Actually in some states in the US (Florida for one) it is illegal to park with the front facing the road (rear towards the wall)! Why? Because cars in Florida only need to have the number plate at the rear of the car and not the front (often they have a fancy name of the dealer or the state in place of the front number plate. (Something like how most imported bikes (before homologation to Indian standards) do not carry a front number plate).

So if you park with the rear to the wall, you registration number cannot be observed and hence cannot be uniquely identified! What if you are a fugitive on the run?
Glifford is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2016, 20:24   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooraj.naik View Post
I think it's not good to generalize. Parallel parking is quite common in Dubai, and I have seen a lot of women drivers who are good at parallel parking than their counterpart. No offence meant.
Yeah I agree. I just put that on a lighter note. No offence to anyone.
On the Dubai part, yes I agree on that too. But the license issuing norms are much much tighter there than here in India. Again a bit sorry.
Old 12th May 2016, 21:02   #87
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glifford View Post
Actually in some states in the US (Florida for one) it is illegal to park with the front facing the road (rear towards the wall)! Why? Because cars in Florida only need to have the number plate at the rear of the car and not the front (often they have a fancy name of the dealer or the state in place of the front number plate. (Something like how most imported bikes (before homologation to Indian standards) do not carry a front number plate).

So if you park with the rear to the wall, you registration number cannot be observed and hence cannot be uniquely identified! What if you are a fugitive on the run?
Interesting indeed. I ve driven about in Florida quite a bit. Orlando, Miami, Key West, Everglades, Daytona etc - and I generally have a habit of reversing and parking in such a way as to facilitate a "quick getaway" from the place I m parked at, for example at a Restaurant or a Strip Mall or so. And many's the time I ve parked with the car front facing outward and the rear to the Wall. I have never until now, been accosted or told off for this by anyone at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glifford View Post

Interesting indeed. I ve driven about in Florida quite a bit. Orlando, Miami, Key West, Everglades, Daytona etc - and I generally have a habit of reversing and parking in such a way as to facilitate a "quick getaway", in a manner of speaking, from the place I m parked at, for example at a Restaurant or Gas Station Convenience Store or a Strip Mall or so. And many's the time I ve parked with the car front facing outward and the rear to some sort of Wall. I have never until now, been accosted or told off for this by anyone at all.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 13th May 2016 at 10:32. Reason: merged back to back posts
Old 12th May 2016, 21:17   #88
BHPian

OT: Regarding compulsory use of seat belts; I never understood why it should be compulsory within the city limits?

I understand that seat belt is absolutely needed when one drives on the highways where the average speed is 60+Kmph. However, within the city limits the average will be about 20Kmph and here insisting on wearing a seat belt is more of a irritant.
Old 12th May 2016, 21:41   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsk View Post
OT: Regarding compulsory use of seat belts; I never understood why it should be compulsory within the city limits?

I understand that seat belt is absolutely needed when one drives on the highways where the average speed is 60+Kmph. However, within the city limits the average will be about 20Kmph and here insisting on wearing a seat belt is more of a irritant.
After seeing your T-BHP join date as 2007, I am very disappointed that this question comes from you, being a T-BHP member. Seat belts are helpful always whether you are driving at 20 KMPH or 100 KMPH. It may be irritant for newbie but for a person who care about life, it shouldn't be. Please wear it for your own safety.
aeroamit is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 12th May 2016, 21:55   #90
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsk View Post

Do this.
Run on the treadmill at 15kmph. So you have a fair idea of what is 15kmph.
After that. Run at the same speed on the ground and run into a wall. We can then debate whether at 15kmph seatbelt is useful or not.
tsk1979 is offline   (28) Thanks

Most Viewed