Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th October 2007, 12:57   #31
Senior - BHPian

Q.The BEST survival kit on our city roads??

A. the Tata Safari!! I kid u not......drive one for a week in the city and you will know what I mean.
Old 18th October 2007, 13:08   #32
Senior - BHPian

[quote=Zappo;300719]
  • Never go too close to a truck, bus etc... They just turn without looking anywhere.
This point is the most important if you want to avoid costly damages. I have personally experienced a military truck, a bus, and recently a LCV scraping the left side of my cars. In all the 3 cases, my car was standing (trust me it is the truth) and the aggressor in question thought he could get through in the gap. Fortunately, the impact speeds were less than 5 kmph otherwise I would not be here. I consciously stay to the left or right of heavy vehicles and far away from them, but sometimes in bumper to bumper crawling traffic, there is no escape.
Old 21st October 2007, 16:57   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1self View Post
it helps if the brake light bulbs are of a high wattage. most of us do not bother about it, but BRIGHT RED is very much a warning for the people behing you not to bump u, specially in broad daylight...believe me...it helps a lot!!
Not sure if a bright tail/brake light is a good idea, consider the Santro xing, it has 4 bright red brake lights, which are so intense that the driver behind it, gets blinded, especially in rainy conditions.
Old 27th October 2007, 13:30   #34
BHPian

While driving upcountry note one point:

If you see a dog crossing a road, assume there is a boy running in behind it.

During every trip of mine out of Bangalore , I have come across this at least once.
Old 5th November 2007, 13:00   #35
BHPian

I have seen some cars with flashing brake lights recently. One (M800) had the reverse lamp wired to flashing brake signal.

Sure more noticeable to me.
Old 11th November 2007, 16:51   #36
PVS
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
  • Never go too close to a truck, bus etc... They just turn without looking anywhere.
Knowledge about location of bus stops enroute can be helpfull as well. When there's a bus in front of you, and a stop is approaching, you can move right, as the bus sooner or later , might pull in left, or simply come to a halt on the current lane.
Quote:
  • The moment a biker overtakes you take your feet off the accelerator for a moment. Chances are bright that he wil cut sharply across just in front of you and then brake.
Don't expect bikers/scooterists/cyclists to give an indication before they turn left or right. A casual glance over the shoulder or a slight movement of the head is an indication that they are going to turn; be prepared.

Quote:
  • If you are about to reach a sharp turn where you can not see the other side of the bend honk loudly and/or flash. Reduce the speed also to a more manageable one. There is a very good chance that an overtaking biker or a cab (indicabs, qualis, any other) will be on your lane just at that very moment. You may also find a broken down car, bus etc or even just a parked vehicle at that very blind turn!
And the pathetic( and very dangerous) part is that stranded trucks on the highways neither switch on parking lights (most of them do not have them in the first place) nor the side indicators. At the max, you might expect branch sticking out from the rear, and a couple of stones guarding the truck.

Quote:
Feel free to add what you do over and above this to save your skin.
  • Even if you have a free left turn, cut down your speed, turn on the left indicators, and honk continuosly. There is every chance for a stupid biker to turn up your lane, in order to avoid the traffic lights. Happened to me once near Khairtabad traffic lights, when I was coming from Ameerpet side, and was taking the free left to RajBhawan Road
  • Whenever you are switching lanes, switch on your indicators. Make your intentions very clear to other motorists behind you.
  • Watch out for buses which tend to get to the extreme left at a traffic signal. Once the green is given, they tend to cut across the traffic, moving right, blocking the entire traffic. If you know that the bus is going right, either tail the guy, or pull up to his left at the signal.
PVS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2007, 18:31   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
Q.The BEST survival kit on our city roads??

A. the Tata Safari!! I kid u not......drive one for a week in the city and you will know what I mean.

I so agree with you, it's a repellent for all the irritants on the road.
Old 14th December 2007, 12:42   #38
BHPian

Advice for people that want to drive on Indian roads.

Note from mod : source added
INDAX - A comprehensive guide to India

Advice for people that want to drive on Indian roads:

These were the observations of a Canadian person.

----- Driving -----

Drive defensively

This cannot be over stated. Indian traffic conditions are chaotic, the drivers reckless, and the roads often in poor repair. There is a pecking order for right of way :cows are at the top, trucks and buses are second, and dogs and pedestrians are at the bottom. Two wheelers are pretty low down. You can only really lord it over bicycles and chickens.

You will not believe the crazy things other drivers are capable of until you've driven here. People overtake on blind corners. They swerve blindly in traffic. They come off side roads at full speed and join the traffic flow without even looking. They stop on a whim in the middle of the road. They barrel down the middle of a narrow road playing chicken - forcing anyone smaller off on the shoulder. Expect anything, at any time. Nor will you believe road conditions.

Pot holes and speed breaker bumps are common, and rarely marked. Rocks are commonly left on the road by a truck that has blocked its wheels while stopped to repair a tire. Pedestrians, animals, bicycles, ox carts and tractors all use the roads.

Sometimes people lie down and have a nap on the edge of the road. Traffic barriers and road dividers appear suddenly and inexplicably. Road repair crews leave piles of sand, gravel, or tar on the road. During harvest times, people spread grain and other crops on the road to dry. You'll suddenly find yourself fishtailing through a 6 inch deep mound of millet seeds. Expect anything, at any time.

City Driving

Driving in big cities is, initially, a terrifying prospect. So much traffic, so much noise and pollution, and so much chaos. Don't dismay. Driving in large cities is a bit like juggling chainsaws - once you get the rhythm of it you're half way there, but one small slip can be very messy.

The rhythm is the key. Ease into city driving if you can. Concentrate most on what is in front of you. It seems an unwritten rule of the road that people behind you will adjust to what you are doing. Most of the drivers in front of you will assume you are watching out for them. They may pull out suddenly, swerve abruptly, or just stop because they've arrived. Do not assume lanes have any significance. Do not assume lights will be followed either.

Buses are a hazard. They will suddenly swerve to the edge to drop passengers, and pull out abruptly. If they merely slow down at any point, some passengers may decide to jump off, other to jump on. Watch out for carts and rickshaws. Some carry over-sized loads or extra long loads that jut dangerously into traffic. Autoricksaws are constantly in a hurry and zip recklessly through dense traffic. Pedestrians can appear anywhere, at any time. So, of course, can cows, pigs, dogs and other animals.

Country Driving

Here is where you can enjoy the open roads and dramatic country-side, but it is not without its hazards. Your fellow drivers will probably drive very fast, and often quite recklessly. Long haul lorries and buses are usually the worst offenders, and have the unofficial right-of-way due to their size.

Drivers on country roads favour the middle of the road and swerve to their side only at the last minute, often indulging in blood-chilling games of chicken with on-coming traffic. Don't try and play. Slow down and ride the shoulder.

Check your mirrors frequently. Over the sound of your bike you will not hear a vehicle overtaking you. This is particularly necessary before you overtake anyone, even a slow moving oxcart, or when a speeding vehicle is bearing down on you. If there is another truck coming right behind you you will be the loser if the three of you try and pass abreast.

Try and avoid major roads, especially the national highways. Though slightly wider and better maintained, these roads are clogged with speeding trucks, buses and cars. Where possible, take the minor routes. The pace is slower, the scenery is better, and the trip more pleasant.

Use your Headlights

Having headlights on in the daytime is a standard safety requirement in many countries for both cars and bikes. It increases visibility of vehicles in motion and saves lives. Unfortunately, in India, when you drive in daylight with your headlights on you create astonishing stress in the lives of all who see you. Oncoming drivers will flash their lights, other two-wheelers will pull along side trying to tell you your lights are on, and almost every pedestrian you pass will point, wave, and flash their fingers at you. It is annoying as hell, but people here seem to have some kind of primal need to tell you you're lights are on. Try and ignore them. On a road trip I drive with headlights on (except in cities and towns, where the hassle is too much). It makes a difference. At least all those people trying to get your attention have seen you. I've had on-coming trucks start to pull into my lane and then pull back because my headlight was on. I think I was benefiting from the unwritten rule that the driver that first flashes their lights has the right of way.

Don't Drive at night

Road conditions become almost unbearable at night. You face on-coming traffic with astonishingly bright headlights. Few will dim them, and many will flash you just as they pass. Some vehicles run with only one light, and more than a few with NO LIGHTS AT ALL! (Vehicles without any lights are quite common in city driving!) Slow moving vehicles, stopped vehicles, bicycles, and pedestrians may not be visible at all. Neither will the many road hazards. Avoid driving at night, or if you have to, exercise extreme caution. And carry spare headlight bulbs. Rough roads can do in your headlight bulb easily. They now sell halogen bulbs for the Bullet. I just got one and cannot yet tell you if it was a good choice. Considering road conditions, having a strong headlight can only help.

Carry a good first aid kit

At least you should be able to clean and dress scrapes and cuts. Do not expect any roadside assistance if you have an accident. Not only is there no ambulance service in most places, it is not uncommon for the bystanders to be afraid to offer assistance when an accident occurs out of fear of the police, and ignorance of what to do. Victims of serious accidents are lucky if they are picked up by their arms and legs and tossed into a local taxi and driven to a hospital. Spinal injuries virtually guarantee paralysis. Preventable bleeding easily leads to major blood loss. This is why avoiding accidents in the first place is so crucial.

Wear a helmet

The laws in some cities do require helmets, but may not be enforced. In reality there is no real compulsion to wear helmets, and quite a few reasons no to. (They are hot, heavy, and awkward.) Still, considering the consequences of an accident without a helmet, you would be well advised to wear one. Helmets are readily available in India, but look carefully for a good one.

Have good Eye protection

Use a visor on your helmet, or get some good goggles. They sell the WWII dispatch driver type of goggles here, if you want them. You will encounter a large number of bugs while riding. A good sized dragon fly can cause serious eye damage, as can stone chips flung up by other vehicles. Also the wind can dry or blur your eyes.

Bring an International Driving Permit

The police in some areas (Goa, I've heard, is bad) enjoy catching foreign tourists driving without a valid international permit. They are mostly interested in the "donation" you will be forced to cough up for them to look the other way.

Enjoy the Challenge

With most of the warnings out of the way, look toward the bright side. India is a fantastic, beautiful, and challenging country to travel in. On a motorcycle you'll have access to places, people, and experiences that few other travelers will. It will be a memorable trip. Be careful, and have a great time.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 14th December 2007 at 13:27.
InternetUser is offline   (2) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 14th December 2007, 13:02   #39
Senior - BHPian

excellent post man i guess this is from the perspective of a biker ?
Old 14th December 2007, 15:57   #40
BHPian

This was an awesome writeup about driving in India which i read on the net and thought would share with you all. Its hilarious!!

Rgds

Manoj

Note from the Support Staff: The following article was originally written by a Dutch person named Coen Juekens.

For the benefit of every Tom, Dick and Harry visiting India and daring to drive on Indian roads, I am offering a few hints for survival. They are applicable to every place in India except Bihar, where life outside a vehicle is only marginally safer.

Indian road rules broadly operate within the domain of karma where you do your best, and leave the results to God. The hints are as follows:

Do we drive on the left or right of the road? The answer is "both". Basically you start on the left of the road, unless it is occupied. In that case, go to the right, unless that is also occupied. Then proceed by occupying the next available gap, as in chess.
  • Just trust your instincts, ascertain the direction, and proceed. Adherence to road rules leads to much misery and occasional fatality. Most drivers don't drive, but just aim their vehicles in the intended direction.Don't you get discouraged or underestimate yourself except for a belief in reincarnation, the other drivers are not in any better position. Don't stop at pedestrian crossings just because some fool wants to cross the road. You may do so only if you enjoy being bumped in the back. Pedestrians have been strictly instructed to cross only when traffic is moving slowly or has come to a dead stop because some minister is in town! . Still some idiot may try to wade across, but then, let us not talk ill of the dead. Blowing your horn is not a sign of protest as in some countries. We horn to express joy, resentment, frustration, romance and bare lust (two brisk blasts), or, just mobilize a dozing cow in the middle of the bazaar. Keep informative books in the glove compartment. You may read them during traffic jams, while awaiting the chief minister's motorcade, or waiting for the rainwaters to recede when overground traffic meets underground drainage. Occasionally you might see what looks like a UFO with blinking colored lights and weird sounds emanating from within. This is an illuminated bus, full of happy pilgrims singing bhajans. These pilgrims go at breakneck speed, seeking contact with the Almighty, often meeting with success.
  • Auto Rickshaw (Baby Taxi): The result of a collision between a rickshaw and an automobile, this three-wheeled vehicle works on an external combustion engine that runs on a mixture of kerosene oil and creosote. This triangular vehicle carries iron rods, gas cylinders or passengers three times its weight and dimension, at an unspecified fare. After careful geometric calculations, children are folded and packed into these auto rickshaws until some children in the periphery are not in contact with the vehicle at all. Then their school bags are pushed into the microscopic gaps all round so those minor collisions with other vehicles on the road cause no permanent damage. Of course, the peripheral children are charged half the fare and also learn Newton's laws of motion enroute to school. Auto-rickshaw drivers follow the road rules depicted in the film Ben Hur, and are licensed to irritate.
  • Mopeds: The moped looks like an oil tin on wheels and makes noise like an electric shaver. It runs 30 miles on a teaspoon of petrol and travels at break-bottom speed. As the sides of the road are too rough for a ride, the moped drivers tend to drive in the middle of the road; they would rather drive under heavier vehicles instead of around them and are often "mopped" off the tarmac. Leaning Tower of Passes: Most bus passengers are given free passes and during rush hours, there is absolute mayhem. There are passengers hanging off other passengers, who in turn hang off the railings and the overloaded bus leans dangerously, defying laws of gravity but obeying laws of surface tension. As drivers get paid for overload (so many Rupees per kg of passenger), no questions are ever asked. Steer clear of these buses by a width of three passengers.
  • One-way Street: These boards are put up by traffic people to add jest in their otherwise drab lives. Don't stick to the literal meaning and proceed in one direction. In metaphysical terms,it means that you cannot proceed in two directions at once. So drive as you like, in reverse throughout, if you are the fussy type. Least I sound hypercritical, I must add a positive point also. Rash and fast driving in residential areas has been prevented by providing a "speed breaker"; two for each house. This mound, incidentally, covers the water and drainage pipes for that residence and is left untarred for easy identification by the corporation authorities, should they want to recover the pipe for year-end accounting.
  • Night driving on Indian roads can be an exhilarating experience (for those with the mental makeup of Chenghis Khan). In a way, it is like playing Russian roulette, because you do not know who amongst the drivers is loaded. What looks like premature dawn on the horizon turns out to be a truck attempting a speed record. On encountering it, just pull partly into the field adjoining the road until the phenomenon passes. Our roads do not have shoulders, but occasional boulders. Do not blink your lights expecting reciprocation. The only dim thing in the truck is the driver, and with the peg of illicit arrack (alcohol) he has had at the last stop, his total cerebral functions add up to little more than a naught.
Truck drivers are the James Bonds of India, and are licensed to kill. Often you may encounter a single powerful beam of light about six feet above the ground. This is not a super motorbike, but a truck approaching you with a single light on, usually the left one. It could be the right one, but never get too close to investigate. You may prove your point posthumously. Of course, all this occurs at night,on the trunk roads.

During the daytime, trucks are more visible, except that the drivers will never show any Signal. (And you must watch for the absent signals; they are the greater threat). Only, you will often observe that the cleaner who sits next to the driver, will project his hand and wave hysterically. This is definitely not to be construed as a signal for a left turn. The waving is just an statement of physical relief on a hot day.

If, after all this, you still want to drive in India, have your lessons between 8 pm and 11 am-when the police have gone home and - The citizen is then free to enjoy the 'FREEDOM OF SPEED' enshrined in the constitution.

Last edited by aah78 : 14th December 2007 at 21:46. Reason: Source added. Made readable.
Old 14th December 2007, 18:17   #41
BHPian

ouch!! should have formatted the text to make it more readable. My apologies.

Manoj
Old 14th December 2007, 21:47   #42
Team-BHP Support

formatted

Quote:
Originally Posted by indianrunner View Post
ouch!! should have formatted the text to make it more readable. My apologies.

Manoj
Done. Just make sure you give proper reference to the original author and mention source whenever you Copy-Paste information from elsewhere.
Old 5th January 2008, 00:01   #43
BHPian

City driving tips

Hi,
I am quite new to driving and unfortunately, have had to start driving on the streets of Hyderabad where driving is a quite a test of skills and temperament. The positive side to this is that I am getting to learn a lot of things very fast.

Now, I was thinking if we could list down some of the top tips for driving in Indian cities. I know, in the end, it all comes up out of experience and being on the roads. But maybe discussing some essential points here will help us all become better and more responsible drivers, especially, for novices like me.

Anyway, here goes my list and am sure you'll would have many more important points to add. I am not going to mention the usual guidelines which always apply while driving. Am trying to highlight city specific points :-

General:-

1. Stick to the lanes - Though this could be debatable as most Indian drivers hardly care for those lane markers and many a time you will have to steer according to the way the vehicle on our side is steering and not according to those lane markers. Anyway, whenever possible, follow the lanes. Be different :-).

2. Use the middle lane - This goes with driving within speed limits, which, IMHO, should be 60 kmph in the city. Let the speeding vehicles go ahead through the right lane. This also saves you from the vehicles cutting in from the right or left. Of course, if you are to take a turn yourself, then get to respective lane (left/right) well in advance.

3. Use the RVMs heavily - Keep looking at both right and left RVMs at regular intervals. You never know who's coming from which side. Like in Hyderabad, do not be surprised if a 2/3-wheeler suddenly passes you from the left (even when your left indicator is on!).

4. Relax, take it easy - City traffic could be very tricky as a clean stretch might soon be followed by a busy junction. So it's much better to stay in control by keeping within speed limits. Also, you will find the occasional speeder (especially in Indica cabs) who's honking away in all glory trying to overtake you. Relax. Take your time, ensure it is safe to veer away and then give the lunatic his happiness.

5. Anticipate - This comes easily if you are driving keeping a safe distance between you and the vehicle in front. Keep a watch for the brake lights and indicators of the vehicle in front. And if you see 2-wheelers and autos in front/side, watch out for them suddenly stopping or cutting lanes.

6. 2/3-wheelers, pedestrians - Well, there's not much you can do with them. If they are around, just slow down and be extra careful. They can come from anywhere, go anywhere, do anything they want. You have to adjust to them. Yes, that's sadly the way to go, if you ask me.

7. When in doubt, Yield - There are proper rules for right of ways. But in India, rules are made on the spot. So when there's no signal and there's some hesitation on your part, simply yield to the other vehicle. Else make sure you flash the high beam well in advance to make things clear.

In high traffic
:-

1. Follow the line - Don't try to wriggle in between lines and make your way ahead. Stick to your line. Also, in a 2-way road, keep space to the right for the approaching vehicles.

2. Parking - Go out of your way to ensure you have parked your vehicle at proper locations or at least, somewhere where it does not cause any obstruction.

3. Reversing - Am not a fan of reverse horns, but it's useful when there's traffic and people around. Watchout for them while reversing and switch on the hazard lights for oncoming traffic to be aware.

4. Use handbrakes on inclines - This is mainly for the newbies like me who have to drive in hilly terrains like that of Hyd. Apply the handbrake when you have to stop amidst high traffic in an uphill incline. It's much easier to get the vehicle moving that way, else there are high chances of releasing the clutch too soon and the vehicle getting stalled. Then all hell breaks loose.

At night:-

1. Low beams please - I know, this is the most repeated plea by all sensible drivers. But is the most ignored one too. So here it goes again - PLEASE stick to low beam unless you are driving on highways or dimly lit roads. City roads mostly are well lit.

2. But use the lights - Please switch on the headlights as soon as it reaches dusk. Use the indicators effectively. And the hazard lights when parked at the side of the road.

All these points are from my own callow observations and am all open to be corrected. Do add your points here and hopefully, we can contribute at least a fraction of a percent in improving the situation on roads in Indian cities.

Regards,
Rahul

Old 20th July 2008, 21:26   #44
BHPian

Survival 101

Zappo, very nice post and some real good tips, a lot of which I already follow. Someone mentioned compiling these, so thought I'd do the needful and add a few of my own. I'm also copying, pasting and editing here for sake of efficiency. Full credit to each individual for their contributions! Keeping Zappo's post verbatim for posterity
  • If a bus is parked at a stop immediately make a lane's gap between your car and the bus. You can count your lucky stars if he does not take a 90 degrees turn and land up on your car the moment you pass him by.
  • Keep a distance from new cars, particularly the unregistered ones. The owners are prone to oversteer or understeer or roll back from a stand still and you may find that his car is kissing yours before you knew what happened.
  • The moment a biker overtakes you take your feet off the accelerator for a moment. Chances are bright that he wil cut sharply across just in front of you and then brake.
  • If you are about to reach a sharp turn where you can not see the other side of the bend honk loudly and/or flash. Reduce the speed also to a more manageable one. There is a very good chance that an overtaking biker or a cab (indicabs, qualis, any other) will be on your lane just at that very moment. You may also find a broken down car, bus etc or even just a parked vehicle at that very blind turn!
  • If you see a couple of playful kids or even adults a bit ahead at the side of the road BEWARE. Once they are sure that you are now almost close enough not to be able to brake one of them will decide to chase the other one so that the bugger runs across the road, dodging his mate and lands up bang in front of the car.
  • Lastly, the moment you hear a mad car or a bike (the variety that makes too much noise due to mods done in their exhaust chambers/manifolds etc) coming your way just move out. Thats more important here than making way for an ambulance, fire truck etc. Sad but thats how it is.
  • If traffic up ahead is coming to an abrupt standstill, switch on hazard warning simultaneously as hitting the brakes; that gives the fast & the furious a better chance of stopping in time & not tailgating.
  • Watch rear-view. If being-tailgated try braking less hard but earlier and longer to avoid being rear-ended.
  • Another thing that helps is to take your hands out and raise at 90 degrees, with palm open, the moment the vehicles ahead start stopping in a hurry.
  • Keep enough gap with vehicle in-front for safety but not enough for the guy behind to try squeezing in.
  • When you see children and animals on the road, be extra careful and expect them to jump on your car; give lots of room / space for braking and passing.
  • Overtaking on a blind turn is an inherently wrong practice. Blind turns should be approached with extreme care.
  • It helps if the brake light bulbs are of a high wattage. most of us do not bother about it, but BRIGHT RED is very much a warning for the people behind you not to bump you, specially in broad daylight
  • If an aggressive driver comes up behind and honks hard. Stay calm, see to your left if you can move in there safely. Immediately indicate and only then start moving. If that is not possible, slow down to more manageable speeds. Watch RVM, aggressor will either overtake from left (let him) or slow down. Continue till you can find a place to move to your left safely. (as a precaution I keep my foot on the brakes when that guy passes me so that I can brake if he starts cutting in) If you react immediately, then you will bring more danger to yourself and the people who are to your left lane.
  • Approach red lights slowly and watch for people swerving into adjacent lanes.
  • Pumping brakes can help as it increases the chances of the guy behind to notice the lights.
  • Be careful overtaking a stopped autorickshaw. After he picks up a passenger he will suddenly swing to the right lane without looking back or bothering to check, especially if you are driving two wheeler.
  • Always assume that the moron inside a stopped car will open the doors wide without looking at traffic.
  • Drive extra slow during rains at night. I usually turn on my lights during rains even in daylight and highly recommend it.
  • Never assume that if the vehicle ahead of you brakes you will know because of the red light - practically all commercial vehicles especially three wheeled ones, autos, plus many buses dont have working lights.
  • Never overtake a bus at a bus stop. People will always run to cross the street in front of the bus, and you will not see them until you cross the bus driver
  • Don't fly through greens at lights because others may be jumping reds from the other end.
  • Checking out the traffic in front of the car through his windscreen, meaning you can see through the car in the front to see any obstacles or oncoming traffic
  • Whenever you are switching lanes, switch on your indicators. Make your intentions very clear to other motorists behind you.
  • Watch out for buses which tend to get to the extreme left at a traffic signal. Once the green is given, they tend to cut across the traffic, moving right, blocking the entire traffic
  • Carry a good first-aid kit. Use helmets and seat belts, they aren't just eye candy.
  • Unsure pedestrians crossing the road. Either slow down significantly, if possible and let them pass if already half-way. Or, hoot repeatedly to make your intention clear and pass from in front.
  • When intersecting with a goods carrier/bus, try to make eye contact with driver. You can check if he's seen you at all, and if aggresive enough to cut you.
  • Flash your lights with urgency even in the day when facing right-of-way conflict issues.
  • If unsure of a vehicle's intentions on your left while completing overtaking manouvere, keep horn pressed while passing through.
  • Be extra extra careful of people using mobile phones, especially right in front and behind you, their reaction times are greatly reduced.
  • Policeman decides to haul you off when in the right lane doing 60. Don't stand on your brakes or worse, drive past. Use hazards, slow down gently. Stop on left. Walk back to the uniformed genius if need be.
  • If with a passenger, and stopped, check left OVM for danger before they open their door.
  • Keep all doors locked at all times.
  • Always keep room on your left from the curb or right from the median.
Right, that's the Britannica then If anyone can think of a better way to organize this and keep room for future additions that would be nice. Hope that helped!
Memphis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2008, 06:44   #45
BHPian

Many of the points discussed are very typically Indian!! Let me add one to the list.
  • Whenever you see cattle on the road ahead of you – you should try navigating your vehicle behind the animal rather than thru the front. The animal will only keep moving forward even if it sees vehicle approaching and does not stop. It will rarely turn back and move even it senses danger. So one should judge to look ahead and pass thru the back of the animal rather than the front.
  • While the above is 100% true for cattle (& probably wild animals if you are on a safari trip!), some of the senior urban dogs may be an exception – they somewhat know how to look at the traffic and plan their movements somewhat like humans!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks