Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2016, 20:55   #1
Senior - BHPian

Registering a car at the Navi Mumbai RTO - Step by step guidelines

Hi all,

Recently we acquired a sweet hot hatch from Fiat, but from Pune. And we stay in Navi Mumbai. So the problem of registration came up. We did not want to take the assistance of agents, hence decided to get it done ourself. Here is the procedure for the same.

Step one: A day or two before delivery, visit the RTO and get exact details about the life time tax that your vehicle attracts. You can enquire on the window displaying "Non Transport e-payment tax". Confirm multiple times as you can get any answer from 6%-13%. Tell him length, fuel type, engine size and most important, the ex-showroom price . Once you get the exact figure (in our case 9%), as the dealer to make e-challan to the RTO. incase of decimal amount, e.g. 123.4, consider the next highest integer, i.e. 124.

Step two: Congrats on the new car, ensure you have the following papers before leaving the dealership. Also check the location of engine and chassis number stampings.
1.Sale certificate - Form 20
2.Road worthiness certificate - Form 22, 22-A
3.Purchase invoice original (Tax invoice)
4.Insurance (We bought ourself, you will need the engine and chassis numbers and ensure that insurance is valid from the day you take delivery or before)
5.If the car is imported, then bill of entry along with customs clearance
6.Temporary registration if any (CRTM in our case as car was from different RTO region but same state)
7.e-challan of life time tax paid to Dy. RTO Navi Mumbai. must be dated 24hrs before you goto register

Step three: Foll documents will need to be obtained from/by you(registered owner)
1.Form no 20 (incase of hypothecation, bank stamp needed at 4 places with sign)
2.Pan card copy or form 60 (two copies but actually needed only one)
3.Address proof - Passport is sufficient but always have more if available. Attaching electricity/Mtnl landline bill is useful. Incase of people from out of state working in the city, rental agreement, letter from company and permanent address proof is sufficient. Having outside issued driving license also useful if you have.
4.2 photographs, but only one is needed

Step four: Fill the form 20 with all details, Name, Address, vehicle details like length, width, gross weight and even axel weights - all these details are provided in the owners manual of your car. Take a blank paper and get the engraving of the engine/chassis number. Tear it to size and paste it on the Form 20 where asked about engine/chassis number. All copies need self attestation. Paste one photograph on From 20 on top LHS.

Now that you have all the documents in order, take your vehicle along with all the documents in a clear file that doesn't need stapling* to the RTO grounds. Upon entering, you have to have the car beside the first hut/building on the RHS, but facing the gate. Try to reach by 10:30-11am as you will be the first and everyone will be in a good mood. Show the car to the inspector (note down his name for later use), he will sign on the tax invoice.

*The file is needed as there will be a lot of shuffling of papers later on.

Step five: Now take all the papers to the RTO office. Pay fees of Rs 300 (no hypothecation), Rs 350(with hypothecation) at the window where you enquired earlier. He may direct you to adjacent window to pay if he's occupied. Keep the smaller part of the receipt along with the folder, the bigger one is your copy.

Now, goto the opposite window to get the e-challan audited. He will check form 20 and write the lifetime tax payable and stamp and sign after verifying the e-challan.

Step six: By now, it must be 1pm. If not wander around (I live close by so went home for lunch) and wait near an empty table at the entrance of the RTO, where all the xerox shops are located. You have to wait for a guy that comes here. He will enter your car details in a register and write a note+number on your from 20/tax invoice. Ask him for the proper arrangement of papers and now staple them. Buy a folder (large sheet) from the xerox shop and fold it in half and keep papers inside and staple.

Step seven: Keep your dealers phone no handy, call your SA ands him be ready with your car details and address incase the inspector asks for verification (Happened in our case as our car was 2015 make) and ask him to be near a landline.

Go back to the ground and find the inspector who inspected the vehicle (remember his name from before ?). Show him the folder. He will ask basic questions, name, address etc. Ask him if he wants to do telephonic verification, if he says no, good. Else call up your SA and ask him to call you back from the dealership landline. Hand over the phone to the Inspector. After confirming the details, he will stamp and sign on all pages inside the folder.

Step eight: Head back to the office and go outside Cabin no. 1. The officer there will give final sign on Form 20. Incase of a rush, the peon outside may take your papers in and being back signed. Else you'll have to go.

Step nine: Your paperwork is done. Head to the "Non Transport e-payment tax" window. He will inspect papers and give you a tax receipt. Note - Steps eight and nine are interchangeable.

Step ten: Take your papers and the tax receipt to the next counter, LHS of you if you are facing the "e-payment tax" window. This is the data entry. If all this is done by 2pm, they will do data entry ASAP, else call you at 3:30pm. They take lunch break from 2;15-3 ish.

Step eleven: Head to the adjacent counter once data entry is done with papers. He will ask if you want choice no, if yes pay the charges else say no. He'll take your papers and issue you a number. Note this number down on your tax receipt. You will get RC book by post within 120 days.

Other notes -
1.I didn't know that we have to do register entry, so had to repeat all process freshly on day two except payment.
2.Registered owner need not be present, but ensure his/her signs on places where required.
3.Always carry a black pen, black marker, stapler, glue, some blank sheets, extra photos and a bottle of water.
4.Its preferable to go with your mother, sister, wife as then you can skip queues and you'll get your work done faster and people are more helpful.
5.Dressing in a formal shirt is preferable as then you are better dressed than rest of the crowd. People's attitude changes towards you.
6.Agents - Use their services or not, they are an integral part of RTO functioning. They arrange papers, decrease the RTO people's work and will even assist you incase you have any query or stuck at any step for no charge. You will find them running about in the hot sun, most times drenched in their own sweat. If you find one sitting down near you, do offer him some water. He will not only remember you and help you if needed but its good karma as well.

Last edited by Aditya : 13th May 2016 at 06:41. Reason: Spacing
blackwasp is offline   (31) Thanks
Old 13th May 2016, 16:27   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: Registering a car at the Navi Mumbai RTO - Step by step guidelines

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!
Rehaan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2016, 20:06   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
Hi all,

Recently we acquired a sweet hot hatch from Fiat, but from Pune. .
Congratulations on your new wheels "Abarth Punto"

Very detailed and helpful information, I didn't know that the process of registration involves so much of paperwork. Last year my Service advisor mentioned that the new RTO system is online and they use their trade certificate to get the vehicles registered and get electronic tags for verification (MH-02) - not sure if I got the right information.

Wouldn't it be easier to let the Service advisor deal with the registration process, usually they take care of this without any extra charges or find an agent who would do this for you at a nominal fee ?
IPathan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2016, 20:16   #4
BHPian

Great detailed story there. Guess I will get my car registered myself the next time I look to upgrade.

Well a little off topic, I am also looking to buy a fiat-abarth car and there seems to be no dealer in Navi Mumbai/Mumbai/Thane. Can you please guide me. Thanks
sudhakarg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2016, 21:29   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPathan View Post
Congratulations on your new wheels "Abarth Punto"

Wouldn't it be easier to let the Service advisor deal with the registration process, usually they take care of this without any extra charges or find an agent who would do this for you at a nominal fee ?
Thanks.

Yes, but then a dealer will typically overcharge for registration (most try). And incase of out of town dealerships, they may not register for you. If you can't take a day off and trust your car in the hands of an agent then perhaps agent makes sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudhakarg View Post

Well a little off topic, I am also looking to buy a fiat-abarth car and there seems to be no dealer in Navi Mumbai/Mumbai/Thane. Can you please guide me. Thanks

You will have to buy from Pune - the closest dealer. Or shop around and see who offers the best deal, say Kolhapur etc. Preferably from within Maharashtra for ease of registration.

So far there are no dealerships in Mumbai region. Torrid motors is available according to Fiat, but the dealership is actually closed since a while.
Old 13th May 2016, 23:06   #6
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the new car, i got the same set of wheels few days back

The guide you have written would be really helpful for someone is going register his car. Did you got some help from agent ?

When i went to get the hypothecation removed from the RC, i was expecting a complicated procedure. Actually it was very simple and just took 45 mins of time including pollution check for the car.
Rahulkool is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2016, 07:10   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulkool View Post

The guide you have written would be really helpful for someone is going register his car. Did you got some help from agent ?

Congrats on the car . I didn't use an agent but I did ask for directions to counters, next steps etc to passing by agents. They were helpful.
Old 28th September 2016, 15:48   #8
BHPian

Re: Registering a car at the Navi Mumbai RTO - Step by step guidelines

Does the permanent registration number is given on same day? As my dealer is saying post passing " showing" the vehicle at RTO, it takes around 5 days for tax receipt and number to be generated. Which will be notified through SMS directly to me.
Old 29th December 2016, 11:56   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roamer View Post
Does the permanent registration number is given on same day? As my dealer is saying post passing " showing" the vehicle at RTO, it takes around 5 days for tax receipt and number to be generated. Which will be notified through SMS directly to me.
New online system being implemented in MH 43 RTo. This is causing many delays. Number allotment started taking 15-20 days.

Also incase of agents/car dealers, they work for bulk cases which further caused delays.
Old 8th March 2017, 13:36   #10
BHPian

I booked Honda Jazz which has to be registered in Navi Mumbai.

Dealer informed me that vehicle needs to get CRTM ( certificate of temp reg ) from Thane RTO and then proceed to Vashi RTO for registration .

Thane RTO is closed till March 14th due to their online up gradation. This is delaying the whole process.

Anyone knows why Vashi RTO cannot provide CRTM ?

Thanks,
Rahul
Old 8th March 2017, 13:48   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulskumar View Post
I booked Honda Jazz which has to be registered in Navi Mumbai.

Dealer informed me that vehicle needs to get CRTM ( certificate of temp reg ) from Thane RTO and then proceed to Vashi RTO for registration .

Thane RTO is closed till March 14th due to their online up gradation. This is delaying the whole process.

Anyone knows why Vashi RTO cannot provide CRTM ?

Thanks,
Rahul

The CRTM is issued from the RTO in whose jurisdiction the showroom is located, which I guess is the case. Did you book your car from a Thane showroom?
noelnelly is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2017, 13:56   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelnelly View Post
The CRTM is issued from the RTO in whose jurisdiction the showroom is located, which I guess is the case. Did you book your car from a Thane showroom?
Yes, showroom is located in Thane.
Old 8th March 2017, 14:19   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulskumar View Post
Yes, showroom is located in Thane.
So yes, that's why. You get your temp registration from Thane RTO and then Vashi RTO will register it.
Old 21st December 2017, 20:39   #14
BHPian

Any idea how much time this online system takes in Mumbai now? I got a message today from RTO saying e Challan has been paid. So, road tax is done.
Upon checking on the parivahan site, all steps are complete. Only approval is pending. Can anyone confirm how many days it takes from the Road Tax SMS to receipt of registration number?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks