Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th May 2016, 14:20   #1
BHPian

Odd / Even number choice in Delhi-NCR?

Just curious, is there a way I can get a number of my choice - odd or even at Noida RTO. No, I don't want any fancy number - I just want it to be odd, given that my father has a even numbered car and I have to go to Delhi 3-4 times a week.

One of my friend who bought a car from Honda in early April told me that the way things work - dealer gets a bunch of numbers from the RTO, and then he can select one of your choice from this list and then assign it to you.
When I checked with my Maruti dealer, he said that all the files go to the RTO and there a number is generated and that number is assigned to the car. The number can be odd or even and there is absolutely nothing the dealer can do about it. He also mentioned that I have only two options -
a) get a fancy odd number by shelling out 3k
b) talk to the Noida ARTO officer and she might or might not agree to it. No money is exchanged. He also explicitly mentioned that the clerk who generates the number can't help.
Another SA at the same dealership mentioned that some folks give some money to the clerk who generates the number to get an odd/even number.

I'd really appreciate if any of the folks who've got their car registered at Noida RTO (in front of NTPC) off late can share their experience. Does speaking to ARTO help? Can the dealer help wrt this? Do the brokers offer any help here?

PS : I am NOT encouraging any sort of bribing, and am strictly against it.

@Mods : I didn't find any thread related to this, hence creating a new one. Please feel free to move it to an appropriate one, if it exists.
Old 19th May 2016, 14:25   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: Odd / Even number choice in Delhi-NCR?

Quote:
Originally Posted by texens View Post
a) get a fancy odd number by shelling out 3k
Isn't this the only legal, and simple way then?
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2016, 15:05   #3
Team-BHP Support

When I bought a car in Delhi, I was actually given a choice of 10-12 numbers in the current series by the dealer itself. When I bought one from Gurgaon, I requested the sales advisor for an even number. He said that he would try but could not guarantee an even number. However, I got an even number. I don't know if it was the sales advisor or pure luck that got me my number.

Not sure of how it works in Noida though.
Old 19th May 2016, 15:05   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Isn't this the only legal, and simple way then?
+Million.

Infact, buy the car before this facility is withdrawn. in Gurgaon you pay 15k min for number of your choice. Anything fancy and the value rapidly escalates to 25-100k and more!!

anything else is not worth the time you'd invest - even if it is in refreshing this thread everytime someone replies

PS: My BIL did a similar research and came to this conclusion himself.
phamilyman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2016, 15:17   #5
Senior - BHPian

When I went for Tiago Test drive I asked about this. He said they can arrange the number from RTO but it will cost 12k. I went to RTO and met the guy who is in charge of allocation. He said give me 2k and I will give you an even number. So, best is to try and check with the RTO guy yourself.
harry10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2016, 00:27   #6
lsp
BHPian

How to get an Even / Odd number for a new car?

Note to Mods:- Please merge if there is a thread related to this topic.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi all,
I am in the market for a new car. Thanks to being in Delhi, the sword of Odd-Even looms on my head always. Wife and I both drive in different directions every day (GGN and Noida respectively). Both our cars are even numbered.

Wife being a single occupant of the car can drive odd or even anyday, but I have to pool with someone or use a cab/metro whenever this scheme plies.

Recently while talking to the salesman at a showroom for a reputed carmaker, I was informed that they have no control over odd or even number for the car. I was shocked. Wife joked that we should buy a second hand car.

Mind you, I am not talking about getting any fancy number like 1111, 7777, 9999. All I want is an odd number for the car. It could be 1357 or any plain combination ending with an odd digit.

Can someone please enlighten me about the way to achieve this (without breaking a bank)?

Thanks!
Old 26th July 2016, 00:52   #7
BHPian

Buy a cheap 'fancy number' which happens to be odd. That seems to be the only legal way to ensure.
phynix123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2016, 04:31   #8
BANNED

re: How to get an Even / Odd number for a new car?

Dear Lalit, here in Kerala you can apply for a number of your choice and get it for Rs.3000 ( except fancy numbers and those which have more than one applicant for the same number ). Delhi RTO has an option of buying a number of your choice for Rs.20000

The Rationalist.
The Rationalist is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th July 2016, 07:05   #9
SDP
Team-BHP Support

re: How to get an Even / Odd number for a new car?

Hi Lalit,

There are fancy numbers (so called VIP numbers) and then there are 'choice numbers'. VIP-numbers (e.g. 1, 99, 5555) are by default reserved and are never allotted as part of standard allotment. There are different price ranges in these VIP numbers and some states even have an auction.

Choice numbers on the other hand are not reserved. Any number which is NOT a VIP number can be your number of choice and if it is available in the current series, you can get it for a small fee (generally 3-5 thousand INR). If the number of your choice is not available in current series, then you pay more for the same number from the next series. I have a choice number for my XUV.

Last edited by SDP : 26th July 2016 at 07:07.
SDP is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th July 2016, 10:35   #10
Team-BHP Support

Re: How to get an Even / Odd number for a new car?

When I last bought a car in Delhi (Honda Brio), I was given a list of 5-6 non fancy numbers to choose from. Odd even should not be an issue in Delhi at least, where the registration number is allotted real time.

It may, however, be an issue in Haryana / UP where temp numbers are issued.
Eddy is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2016, 17:12   #11
lsp
BHPian

Thanks guys for all the replies .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
When I last bought a car in Delhi (Honda Brio), I was given a list of 5-6 non fancy numbers to choose from. Odd even should not be an issue in Delhi at least, where the registration number is allotted real time.

It may, however, be an issue in Haryana / UP where temp numbers are issued.
Eddy,
How long ago was this?
Old 26th July 2016, 17:17   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsp View Post
Eddy,
How long ago was this?
This was April 2012. Dealer was Samara Honda in Mayapuri.

And the same thing happened at Maruti Fair Deal, Shahadara in September 2007.
Old 26th July 2016, 20:10   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Odd / Even number choice in Delhi-NCR?

Well this is actually the new scam in NCR which is rampant these days since most buyers are insisting on a odd or even number according to their needs. A family friend recently shelled out 15k for a even number, an ordinary even number. Earlier the dealers did used to give you a few random choices out of which you could select whatever fancied you. For a true VIP number you had to pay a fees to the RTO, amount depending upon the number you want.

But now the dealers and RTO staff are taking bribes for issuing even basic numbers since the customer wants only an odd or even number and they are feeding on this fear and asking for bribes to ensure the same.
Old 27th July 2016, 00:37   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsp View Post
Note to Mods:- Please merge if there is a thread related to this topic.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi all,
I am in the market for a new car. Thanks to being in Delhi, the sword of Odd-Even looms on my head always. Wife and I both drive in different directions every day (GGN and Noida respectively). Both our cars are even numbered.

Wife being a single occupant of the car can drive odd or even anyday, but I have to pool with someone or use a cab/metro whenever this scheme plies.

Recently while talking to the salesman at a showroom for a reputed carmaker, I was informed that they have no control over odd or even number for the car. I was shocked. Wife joked that we should buy a second hand car.

Mind you, I am not talking about getting any fancy number like 1111, 7777, 9999. All I want is an odd number for the car. It could be 1357 or any plain combination ending with an odd digit.

Can someone please enlighten me about the way to achieve this (without breaking a bank)?

Thanks!
The dealer is right in saying that they have no control over the number allocation. Please read the explanation given below.

Your only sure shot opportunity is to buy a number of your choice from this DELHI GOVERNMENT website https://parivahan.gov.in/DL_fancynumberbid/ for the basic 20,000 Rs. Amount.

Be creative with your choice a la 0101, 0707, 1001, 4567.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
This was April 2012. Dealer was Samara Honda in Mayapuri.

And the same thing happened at Maruti Fair Deal, Shahadara in September 2007.
Dear Eddy,

Those were the good old days when one could get a number like 7300 or 7373 just by offering as little as a 1000 rs to the Sales person/registration Incharge.
The AAP government has in 2015 modernized and randomized the registration process which allows them to generate revenue through the auction of the numbers of choice and also keep a check on RTO touts who used to deal with such numbers for a certain price.

Since Mid 2015, the dealers are supposed to register the cars themselves by using an online registration platform in which the details of the car and the owner are put in to generate a Random Registration number for the Car being registered.

So the old system of the Dealer-RTO to and fro has been scrapped completely since the last 15 months or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Well this is actually the new scam in NCR which is rampant these days since most buyers are insisting on a odd or even number according to their needs. A family friend recently shelled out 15k for a even number, an ordinary even number. Earlier the dealers did used to give you a few random choices out of which you could select whatever fancied you. For a true VIP number you had to pay a fees to the RTO, amount depending upon the number you want.

But now the dealers and RTO staff are taking bribes for issuing even basic numbers since the customer wants only an odd or even number and they are feeding on this fear and asking for bribes to ensure the same.
Well, I was in the same situation in March this year and all I did was buy an even number which was slightly fancy (ends with 00) from the Government website for Rs.20,000. Its a better choice to get a number of your own choice for 20k rather than paying the dealer 15k IMO. I am sure you would agree.

The workaround for dealers for issuing an even number could possibly be restarting the online registration process or take advantage of an option to edit any mistakes during input.

Last edited by Jag4 : 27th July 2016 at 00:46.
Jag4 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2016, 01:32   #15
BHPian

when i got my polo registered in Delhi RTO (DL-1C) i was given a choice of number among 10-12 options. the numbers on offer were unflattering with some random numbers available. nothing fancy about them and if you are lucky then might get your birthdate or anniversary or something like that. the more fancy numbers would come with a price.
OT- why aint you considering a pre-owned car? you may get better options in delhi now a days. the Pre owned market is flooded with good cars and you will be tempted to say the least. just make a dash to Moti Nagar or karol Bagh.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks