Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th May 2016, 11:00   #1

Found someone else's Driving Licence. Now what?

I found a DL near my office at Bangalore and the date on it is valid.

I couriered the DL to Vellore, to the address that was on the DL. It has come back without being delivered. I tried calling a number at Vellore after searching for some details and the guy who spoke to me said the DL holder has left his employ and he knew nothing more.

Is there a way to get in touch with the DL holder? It seems like he could be a driver. And DL must be very important to him and might be in trouble if he waits for the duplicate to happen. All of us know he might have to spend more than needed by the government. Any ideas?

Last edited by Rehaan : 27th May 2016 at 14:48. Reason: Adding some spacing for readability
ananth_blr is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 26th May 2016, 11:21   #2
BHPian

re: Found someone else's Driving Licence. Now what?

Good to know you have taken so much efforts to find its rightful owner. Since it has come back undelivered, I would hand it over to the nearest police station where you found it. I feel, sending it to Vellore RTO is also an option which police may tell you.

Last edited by Ravindra M : 26th May 2016 at 11:22. Reason: Additional info.
Ravindra M is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th May 2016, 12:41   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Found someone else's Driving Licence. Now what?

Hat's off to your efforts & persistence . Not too many good men like you around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravindra M View Post
sending it to Vellore RTO is also an option which police may tell you.
This is the preferred option. Send it across with a covering letter.

Just a note (if you are so inclined) - it's easy to find someone on Facebook or LinkedIn once you have their name & city.
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th May 2016, 14:58   #4
BHPian

Try the "Put Me In Touch" group on facebook to trace back to the original owner. There are multiple instances where lost stuff has reached back to their rightful owners.
null is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2016, 14:43   #5
Senior - BHPian

I once found a valid Learners licence on the side of the road.
Searched on FB but there were too many with the same name.

Googled it and found that the father runs a private school and the mail was id was on google. Shot a mail with the subject and my contact.
Guy whatsapp'd me the next day, came near my office and collected it.

See if you can google the name of the person along with the address and see what results show up.
Old 28th May 2016, 23:18   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Ananth, its good that you have taken up the challenge to reach the driving licence to its rightful owner.

If at all you have to send it to the RTO authorities, do so by registered post, not speed post. The postal department has a greater responsibility to deliver registered letters to the addressee only, as the responsibility is fixed in case of any complaint. Not so for speed post letters.

Also please send a copy of your letter to the State Transport Commissioner (mentioning that you are sending a copy in the main letter ) also by registered post, so that the RTO knows that his superior has been informed. The postal address can be had from their website.

Do keep us posted on the developments.
Old 29th May 2016, 00:12   #7
Senior - BHPian

Really glad to come across so many posts by good samaritan team bhpians going out of their way to help someone. I guess people like these make the worlds balance sheet tally every day !

AFAIK, if you drop off a DL/Passport/AADHAR or Ration Card into a postbox, Indiapost tries to get it delivered to the written address for free, as a govt service.

If not, it'll be given to the police - who may have track of the lost & found complaints (or am I living in Utopia..?).

Try it

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks