Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st June 2016, 17:02   #1
BANNED

Audi Q7 owned by Supreme Court lawyer stolen at gunpoint

This is just

Quote:
A group of thieves allegedly robbed an Audi Q7 in New Delhi after abducting the driver and beating him up before dumping him on a road. The SUV is owned by the son of former Additional Solicitor General of India Vikas Singh, Venkatesh, who is a lawyer in the Supreme Court. The incident occurred in at 1 A.M. on Sunday when the driver, identified as Ravi Shankar was waiting for the owner who was at a restaurant for dinner.

Ravi said that around 1 A.M, he saw Venkatesh’s associates coming out of the restaurant after which he decided to bring the car near the restaurant. As he gained entry to the car, the assailants kicked and forced him into the car. The accused later entered the car and threatened to kill Ravi while pointing a pistol at him. Roaming around the area, the robbers beat up Ravi with the butt of the pistol due to which Ravi suffered injuries. He was later dumped at West Delhi’s Jwala Heri even as his mobile phone was taken away by the criminals.

The victim later reportedly walked for a kilometer while bleeding profusely, even as passer-by’s and security guards of the nearby buildings refused to help him. It was later that two policemen on a motorcycle approached him and took him to the area where he was dumped. On finding out that the case does not fall under their jurisdiction, the cops dropped of the victim to the Mianwali Nagar police station.

Ravi later called up his employer from the police station even as the latter had already registered a complaint. The police were trying to track the vehicle but were not successful. A few reports claimed that the GPS tracker was removed from the vehicle which is why the vehicle could not be tracked.

Personnel from Mianwali Nagar police station brought Ravi to the Kotla Mubarakpur police station where a case was registered. Ravi was later admitted to the AIIMS Trauma Centre where he reportedly received a few stitches. The police later said they didn’t have any substantial clue about the robbers or the stolen car even as investigations are in progress.
Source

Audi Q7 owned by Supreme Court lawyer stolen at gunpoint-31de_audi_pg3_g_31_2875433f.jpg

Mods:Please move it to relevant thread if exists any!
mohammedismail is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st June 2016, 19:09   #2
BHPian

re: Audi Q7 owned by Supreme Court lawyer stolen at gunpoint

Not just any Q7- this was the all new model bought in the month of May. Due to the ban, there are hardly any new Q7 in town. The owner is a very close friend.
RohanDheman is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st June 2016, 20:49   #3
BHPian

Looks like they were looking specially for a Q7 to sell it off immediately probably cause they had a crooked customer looking to buy one! If they were hired to target him or his family they wouldn't have stolen the car simply because it would leave a trail for the cops to get to them. Being an expensive car it will surely raise a lot of eyebrows when they try to sell it off unless they already have a customer waiting to buy one from them
Skyline_GT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2016, 23:02   #4
BHPian

This modus operandi is fast becoming quite popular with criminals. Areas around South Punjab/North Rajasthan has seen many such cases specifically targeting Toyota Fortuners. I went to visit my maternal grand parents at Hanumangarh and had my Bro In Law's Fortuner. I was specifically warned not to reach after dark and not to stop anywhere in the 100 kms radius last month. The gang might have moved to Delhi.
vinayrathore is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2016, 15:47   #5
BHPian

Re: Audi Q7 owned by Supreme Court lawyer stolen at gunpoint

Having experienced something on these lines, I may be able to shed some light.

Delhi is not that big a city in terms of distance. No matter where you are in Delhi, the nearest border, be it Haryana or UP, is barely an hour. Making it ideal for crooks to take a car.

Once they take the car, all they have to do is cross the border quickly. The Police unfortunately do not have a "Quick Information System" of any kind wherein they can alert all the patrol cars/bikes or stations or booths of a stolen vehicle or crime in general.

But what the Police do have is a good system of Confidential Informants. The SC lawyer will very much likely get his car back. Considering his high posting + the value of the vehicle + how well connected he most likely is, the Police will have to round up the crook out of sheer pressure.

Last edited by GTO : 3rd June 2016 at 13:12. Reason: Typo
shivs2003 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2016, 16:52   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

The value of the vehicle surely won't go unnoticed anywhere they want to sell it.Who knows it might be a case of sheer coincidence that the thieves got their hands on something like this and later realised that it will be difficult to get rid off.
The fact that the GPS tracker was removed and the vehicle could not be tracked does say a lot about their knowledge of luxury cars.
Either ways,being an SC judge,he will get his vehicle back and the Q7 is just not going to be sold of that easily until they dismantle the car and sell the parts of individually,something which will be time consuming and labour intensive.
Old 2nd June 2016, 16:58   #7
BANNED

@shivs2003; If the car owner was a SC Judge recovery was guaranteed! You, are right a lawyer also has a very good chance, if the data has not already been altered! I do not think a Q7 will be cut up for parts.
Old 3rd June 2016, 13:20   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@shivs2003; If the car owner was a SC Judge recovery was guaranteed! You, are right a lawyer also has a very good chance, if the data has not already been altered! I do not think a Q7 will be cut up for parts.
Lets be honest, any judge or well paced lawyer has a very large bank of contacts in the government or the police services. Such things get noted in the press. If any concerned higher-up starts asking questions, I guarantee you that every single high ranking police officer will have to get on the case.

The incident I mentioned in my earlier post was of my father's Fortuner which was stolen from the South Delhi area of GK. Not just GK but the entrance of N Block market! Not just was the matter noted in the press, many powerful individuals started asking questions about the safety of one Delhi's premier markets. The Police had no choice but to deal with the matter with extreme seriousness.

I genuinely doubt the Q7 will be cut up for parts. In such cases, there has to be demand and supply. There are barely any new Q7s out there, and the few there won't take their parts from crooks.

Secondly, the pricier the loot, the harder it is to move/dispose.
Old 3rd June 2016, 13:28   #9
Team-BHP Support

Car jacking is not very uncommon in the region. . In one case, they kidnapped a guy and made him withdraw max cash from ATM before midnight, and then once after midnight, and then drugging and dumping him off. The car of course is untraced

The modus operandi is simple, just move towards meerut etc., By the time police get notified, the car is already somewhere in western UP etc.,

As for not many buyers, you are mistaken. There are lots of people in the Haryana and neighboring regions who sold lands near Gurgaon etc., and then bought these high end cars. On a recent recce in a backward village I was astonished by the amount of high end cars in these places(fortuners, audi's etc.,). Many houses which were much like mud houses had XUV/Scorpio etc., parked.

Go to Mayapuri etc., and along with jeep parts you will find people scouring for high end stuff.

Even in Chandni chowk, stuff like ECUs of Fortuner, mercedes etc., are available for sale. There are these scrap shops with tail light clusters (costing a lakh each brand new) etc., selling.

So a head honcho of a MNC may not go there hunting for parts, but there are a lot of others who look at the second hand market for parts.
Old 3rd June 2016, 13:44   #10
BHPian

Instances like these are quite common in Delhi NCR. Since the owner was a high profile victim this got press coverage otherwise this is quite a BAU process for the police.
OTH my Tata Safari had gotten stolen from Noida in 2011.The inspector who came to visit my house and take down details etc told me quite calmly that due to elections which were around the corner there was high demand for vehicles like safari/scorpio's which are quite useful for ferrying people and for rallies etc. Seems like he was aware of how and where the gangs operated from, when asked him to follow up he calmly told me..." Sir insurance hai na.. claim file kar dena"
Imagine

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks