Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 7th June 2016, 10:35   #1
BHPian

One-time roadside assistance for a single issue?

The most common incidents involving cars stopping while on the road involve punctures and battery issues. So is there a road side assistance service, especially in the NCR region, that offers a roadside assistance service (preferably one-time) only for punctures and/or battery issues.

I know about Batmobile for battery issues, but nothing for punctures. I am aware of several roadside assistance services and I am not saying that they are not useful, but all of them offer annual plans for an entire package of services, most of which a person may never use. They don't seem to have plans for single issues, or one-time rates like some used to have earlier.
Tarrodie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2016, 12:51   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: One-time roadside assistance for a single issue?

I am not sure whether there is any organization that works on such adhoc service requests. Most of the RSAs are package based. Having said that one of the best options in my opinion is to subscribe for the RSA option while picking up your insurance. Some offer this as a paid option others bundle it as a part of the standard insurance package. For a very little additional cost you get a whole host of services including RSA when you opt for it through your insurance.
Zappo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th June 2016, 14:53   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: One-time roadside assistance for a single issue?

Whether in town or on the highway, your best bet will be a workshop that is closest to the location of the breakdown. This will be quicker & cheaper. The only challenge will be to find who is reputable, but that shouldn't be too difficult if you ask around, look at places on Google Maps etc.

Today's cars are very reliable, hence a standalone breakdown service that charges by the visit won't be a sustainable business model. Manufacturers have also started offering free roadside assistance for up to 5 years on a new car.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th June 2016, 15:26   #4
Team-BHP Support

I opt for the RSA option on my insurance for times I need serious help or a tow, but if I have an issue that doesn't render my car immovable or dangerous to drive, I just look up the nearest A.S.S. and drive to it. Have used the latter option a couple times with Hyundai A.S.S. on long-distance drives, and they were very professional in both offering help and guiding me to the exact location.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 7th June 2016 at 15:32.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th June 2016, 19:29   #5
Team-BHP Support

Even if you do find such a service, it does not make sense to prepay for it. It's very very likely that when you need it the most (like say 10:30 PM on a Sunday), there might not be anybody on the other side to pick up the phone.

Before signing up for ANY kind of roadside assistance for which prepayment is required, try calling up at different hours to see if somebody picks up the phone!
SmartCat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th September 2016, 15:54   #6
BHPian

Based on some excellent posts here I did sign up for road side assistance on the premise that I will find it useful only when I really need it. Thanks.

Most Viewed