Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 5th July 2016, 14:50   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bangalore Police gets Ertigas; Boleros being phased out

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinit.merchant View Post
Petrol LXI variant of the Ertiga, and not the Diesel versions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viju View Post
Are they regular LXi variants? .
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
They look like regular LXI variants.
Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Tachometer gives a hint these are VXi.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherlocked View Post
Numbers in the tacho gives hint it's a VDI, since its limited to 6000 rpm only.
What if I said SOME are LDi variants? :-)
Take a look at the picture
Bangalore Police gets Ertigas; Boleros being phased out-img_4977.jpg

Bangalore Police gets Ertigas; Boleros being phased out-ertiga.jpg
sushrutha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2016, 14:53   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
. I think all are LDi as noted by few on this thread - The black colored mirrors were the first hint.

So since yesterday, started noticing quite a few of them during my office travel.

Beige interiors & abuse are the 2 threats to this car to be used by the cops.

Bolero made so much sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherlocked View Post
Ertiga in the image below doesn't have body colored ORVMs and door handles and no wheel caps either, which too are standard part of VDI and above.

So the cars are definitely customised specially for Bangaluru Police and images as it seems are not for representation purpose only but actual images of the car since it has Hoysala stamping on the car which matches with the TOI article and also the tablet can be seen inside the dashboard.
But that is some quick homework you did to confirm its an LDi Sushrutha

Last edited by paragsachania : 5th July 2016 at 15:06.
Old 5th July 2016, 15:03   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
. I think all are LDi as noted by few on this thread - The black colored mirrors were the first hint.

But that is some quick homework you did to confirm its a LDi Sushrutha
Quote:
Take a look at the picture
Adding more confusion to the pics, If all were LDi's how come they have Tachometers till 6K ? (Only Diesel has tacho till 6K )
But LDi Ertigas doesn't come with Tachometer

Bangalore Police gets Ertigas; Boleros being phased out-ertiga2.jpg
http://www.marutisuzuki.com/ertiga.aspx
So some are VDi Ertiga ??
That's the reason I said SOME

Last edited by sushrutha : 5th July 2016 at 15:04.
sushrutha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2016, 15:09   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
But LDi Ertigas doesn't come with Tachometer
Yes, we all had this same doubt if you scroll up a few comments/pages - And then the dashboard layout, Steering buttons (Now Standard in VDis)

Quote:
Possible - Few "upmarket" Police Stations will get VDi and few others LDi. This would be also to do with the criminal profiles and depending on the locality if the offenders who get picked up need Music to listen to while being ferried or the real music inside the cell once locked.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 8th July 2016 at 07:28. Reason: Fixed quote tag.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2016, 11:53   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, we all had this same doubt if you scroll up a few comments/pages - And then the dashboard layout, Steering buttons (Now Standard in VDis)

Quote:
Possible - Few "upmarket" Police Stations will get VDi and few others LDi.
This is not the case - all the Ertigas are of the same LDi trim. Also, these aren't being allocated to particular police stations. Patrolling in Bangalore has been fundamentally changed with the introduction of these vehicles. Apart from approximately 1 Hoysala per station (little over a 100 police stations in Bangalore), all the others will be under the centralised control of the Command & Control Centre at the City Police Headquarters.

When an emergency call is received on Dial 100, the incident is logged on the system. The closest Hoysala (they will be at designated spots across the city, tracked by the Command Centre by GPS) will be notified through the ToughPad in the vehicle and they will proceed to the incident spot. The responding team's progress will be tracked live. They will act as first responders and get the situation under control to the extent possible until the jurisdictional police arrive. Post this, an incident report will have to be filed by the responding team on the same ToughPad available in their cars.

Also, another 200 Ertigas are being acquired so the total strength of 4 wheel patrol vehicles in the city would've increased from ~120 to ~550 in the matter of a 6 months - we should compliment the police on this. This is apart from the 1000 bikes being acquired to add to the 'Cheetah' fleet of patrol motorcycles in the city. They are making full use of the funds available under the Mega City Policing project!

Last edited by benbsb29 : 8th July 2016 at 07:28. Reason: Fixed quote tag.
Old 29th March 2018, 10:25   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Hardly 2 years and as expected, the Ertigas haven't really helped the cops perform their duty, all due to Battery issues as per this news report today.

With dried-up batteries, Hoysala cruisers ineffective in responding to emergencies

Quote:
Hoysala vehicles, supposed to be the first in the crime spot, often arrive late, thanks to the 'low battery' issue.

"Wait... let me charge the car battery and then we'll reach the spot in 10 minutes," a Hoysala staff rushing to the crime spot barked into the phone as the control room alerted him of the situation.

On July 2, 2016, the Bengaluru city police introduced 272 Hoysala vehicles, including 101 pink Hoysala, with Maruti Suzuki Ertiga that replaced Mahindra Bolero.

A majority of these vehicles could be seen coming to a grinding halt when they should actually be speeding towards the crime spot.

The police had splurged Rs 40 crore in revamping the 'Dial 100' instant response service, including the purchase of the Hoysala vehicles. They annually spend an additional Rs 7 crore engaging outsourcing staff to attend calls and Rs 2 crore to fuel the Hoysala vehicles.

Budget constraints mean the police can only provide 100 litres of fuel for the vehicles and the police have to foot the bill in case the fuel use goes over the limit.

"We've complained about the dying car batteries, but the department has not given the new batteries. This is the problem with most vehicles," said an official on the Hoysala service.

Another police official said Ertiga vehicles are not meant for rugged use. "Since we operate the car inside the city, it guzzles plenty of fuel. It breaks down most of the time as we cruise to the crime spot in the midnight. We then have to call up the station for backup and charge the Hoysala car before getting to the spot," he added.

The city police top brass have instructed Hoysala to keep the siren turned on from 6 pm to 6 am, while also asking them to keep the tablets and wireless equipment inside the vehicles on round-the-clock to immediately respond to 'Dial 100'' calls. Such bells and whistles obviously drain the battery faster.

City Police Commissioner T Suneel Kumar admitted to DH about the frequent breakdown of the Hoysala vehicles. "I've instructed the DCPs and ACPs to fix new batteries in the Hoysala vehicles and address other issues," he added.
I myself have seen one of these Ertigas talking help from a Sumo to jump start the car. Wondering how 'Battery problem' has marred their operational efficiencies but in the end I have to say that any day, the M&M Vehicles would have always been a super good choice for cops.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th March 2018, 10:30   #37
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hardly 2 years and as expected, the Ertigas haven't really helped the cops perform their duty, all due to Battery issues as per this news report today.

I myself have seen one of these Ertigas talking help from a Sumo to jump start the car. Wondering how 'Battery problem' has marred their operational efficiencies but in the end I have to say that any day, the M&M Vehicles would have always been a super good choice for cops.
If they are using stock Ertiga's and looks like they are with that SHVS tech then it's really the fault of Maruti for providing stock cars to the cops.

The car should have had a secondary battery for the siren, lights, tablets and computer. It's plain silly to let all those electronics run on a single battery.

The hoysalas will obviously not be moving all the time and will be stationary and when stationary they will but naturally drain the battery.

I don't think anything to do with Mahindra being more Rugged. It's plain stupid implementation. The Mahindra's don't have all these extra electronics that run off the car's battery.
Vid6639 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th March 2018, 10:39   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
If they are using stock Ertiga's and looks like they are with that SHVS tech then it's really the fault of Maruti for providing stock cars to the cops.
The report says its mainly getting drained due to a lot of devices attached and functioning round the clock.

I think in reality the cops should have either been given clear instructions on how to disable the stupid SHVS or handed over usual models without one (not sure if this was possible at all)

Quote:
I don't think anything to do with Mahindra being more Rugged. It's plain stupid implementation. The Mahindra's don't have all these extra electronics that run off the car's battery.
I think the use cases of these cops' vehicles still makes Ertiga a bad choice IMHO. Ertiga might be too sophisticated when you have cops using them for their usual chores may be!

It will be interesting to see how these vehicles are holding up in other cities where cops are using it. I remember Pune having these and if this is the case all over the country, then we know who is the culprit.

Its either the product training or a combination of training + implementation of the product based on use case. As you said, Maruti may have never thought about all the aux devices that these vehicles will be using compared to regular commuter cars.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2018, 10:46   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Maybe they dont have a good electrical system to power the extra electronics as Vid has said. And most of the times, the cops will be sitting in the cars with all electrical systems on and engine off. Guess they cant start after a prolonged stop. But I wonder how the Boleros managed in similar situations, especially when they had a bigger engine(and maybe a bigger battery too).

When such vehicles are delivered by the manufacturer on a special order, I think they should also spend some extra effort to start the engine and charge the battery once the battery voltage goes below a threshold. This can be done if the ignition is in ON position. Else, its plain stupidity to keep their gadgetry running on the battery. For the same reason, I have observed in Germany that once an emergency vehicle sets off on a call, the engine is never switched off. Police vehicles and ambulances keep the engine running while they attend to the emergency. Anyway the SHVS system is capable of auto restart of the engine with certain conditions like AC, Battery voltage etc. They can slightly modify the logic so as to run the engine when ignition is in ON position and battery voltage goes low.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2018, 10:51   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
And most of the times, the cops will be sitting in the cars with all electrical systems on and engine off.
At times, on regular basis whenever I am driving back home from work, inside Peenya Industrial estate, I would notice one of these with windows rolled down under a shade and reclined seats.
Quote:
For the same reason, I have observed in Germany that once an emergency vehicle sets off on a call, the engine is never switched off. Police vehicles and ambulances keep the engine running while they attend to the emergency.
And here they have not only mentioned the limited fuel supply but also bad FE which is very hard to believe because even in continuous and 100% crawling traffic you will easily get 12-13KMPL no matter what. I blame poor training there too on how not to drive the Ertiga like the Bolero. I am sure these vehicles may have also suffered premature clutch wear too knowing how massive is the difference in low end between a Bolero and the Ertiga, especially in 2nd gear and near zero speeds.
Old 29th March 2018, 14:24   #41
BHPian

On the battery issue, they should have been provided a higher capacity ones. But given the usage pattern, where the vehicle is mostly idle and a lot of engine cranking cycles, the premature battery failure is inevitable. Petrol cars would have fared better IMO.

Quote:
I blame poor training there too on how not to drive the Ertiga like the Bolero. I am sure these vehicles may have also suffered premature clutch wear too knowing how massive is the difference in low end between a Bolero and the Ertiga, especially in 2nd gear and near zero speeds.
There were reports earlier that there was acute shortage of drivers for these Ertigas. So the whole thing was badly managed without any proper planning.
bejoy is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed